Okumoto

Proposal to make Fallen Earth open-source

Right now it appears that it is unlikely that Little Orbit (LO) will get much progress on this game in the following year(s).

Therefore, I believe the last rescue for this game would be to release it as free (as in freedom) and open-source software.
LO could focus their manpower on more promising projects, while still keeping us (the Fallen Earth community) happy.

Further development could be handled by the community.

What do you think @MattScott?
Would this be a viable option for Little Orbit?

I can even think of some kind of crowdfunding to release Fallen Earth into the public domain.

• Like 1

I would spend money on this, being able to play again, at all.

Edit: the weakness of mutants, and the nearly absolute strength of guns, still annoy me. But I'd still play, cuz the game itself, is awesome.
Edit2: was thinkin on it a bit... might even be better, due to not having some guy, in chat, tellin ya what to do n say all day, lol. No idea, how many times, I logged off, due to that guy.

Edited by BalidoreX
  • Like 3

Game dev here! I think with an update posted in July it'd be premature to request a release of the source. It's been a spectacularly crazy year, the team is tiny, and less publicity can just as easily mean more stuff going on behind the scenes. If they say stuff is happening, I say take that at face value. I'm also not terribly sure how much a release of any "source code" would help, as they're trying to port the thing to the Unity Engine. Unless FE previously ran on its own proprietary engine (totally in the dark on this) there would effectively be nothing to release.

If there is anything worth releasing, and they do actually decide to axe the project, then yeah I think it'd be very nice to see whatever work they've made go public, in whatever form that looks like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Considering, that someone spend their irl money to buy all this projects from prev team, ur "proposal", so to speak, to "release it" as is, for free, equals throwing a bunch of hard earned cash into a shitter) That's one.

Two, Matt, as a company's big hat, has a say in this. If he says that its better and/or faster/cheaper to divert resources to other projects first, considering that FE wasnt the only game bought, even if whoever bought it, considered it their №1 priority over other games, bein the head of a company (cept investor), my bet he's more than responsible for his own actions on that post.

Three. Welp, as u might have guessed, FE was in way worse shape than other projects, which kind of was a crucial factor. APB was almost done back in what, around 2010 I think, when crisis hit, and lotsa companies lost it. Was sold to other team, which didnt finish it properly (game was at 80-90% at a time), instead, turned it into ftp marketplace piece, though originally, it meant to be coop/mp game, like ur avg CS competitor.

FE wasnt build on UE, it was indie team with their own engine, project began in what, '06-07 I think, which is alot of years for any project, and engine.

UE got a team, that made market for it, and still continues to support it and upgrade it, pretty big team, btw, and they're loaded.

FE team went down. Sold the project to another company, which neglected it, implementing same marketplace scenario on it, then sold it.

Currently, its handled by, pretty much, another indie team, gathered around by someone's investments.

So, yeah, it's kind of a helluva job to re-create this game pretty much "from scratch". Ofc it takes time.

10 years ago, project of such scale would req team of 100-250 heads, to complete it in two years (from point zero, no prev material, arts, etc), give or take.

Since money is there, and they aint goin anywhere else, team is working on projects as fast as they can, to begin work on FE at full capacity, instead of yelling, praise them (and investor ofc).

They doin all they can, and all u do, is yelling and suggesting pretty "awkward" stuff.

Now. If, we presume that at least two years req, and, we know that 1 is already scratched out, do the math.

Nobody said it be done overnight, that's for another guy, ask Him, be my guest.

Edited by Creeping Vulture
  • Like 4

I was sort of hoping that we would have a playable version of FE 2.0 by 3rd or 4th quarter 2021, but that seems highly unlikely at this point.  I suppose the spirit of the OP was that the farther into the future a release date becomes the less likely it is to materialize at all. Right now there doesn't appear to be anything comparable to our beloved Fallen Earth on the market. Should that change, however, many people will probably give up waiting and move on. Let's hope that doesn't happen.  

guy's we need to give the team some support and hope it well be a live soon it's mainly this virus that been going around that been putting so much damage on the team like them so who know if any of there team is in hospital or at home sick so we need to hang by there side through this hole virus. 

1st of i do not trust half of you to run or dev this game. second i feel as open source some of the team that runs it would hire there shit head friends to be GMs and if you played something like gmod were servers are ran like that you know how bad of an idea it is. 2nd there taking a game off a custom engine that worked by pure magic and bullshoot and sticking it onto unity which is the part that is taking so long because they gotta make sure each and every single line of code works and each and every single texture item and so on and so forth works and looks right then they gotta make sure all of this can run on a persons pc without totally melting it. so can we stop with this "anything you can do i can better" you guys been at it for years and i doubt you can do better then LOs team of like 5 people trying to work on this while they finish out apb and what not. 2020 has sucked enough patootie lets not go around discouraging people from working on this because they got a bunch of people thinking they can do 50 tons of work faster and better then they can. making games takes a lot of time and you gotta wait or it's gonna be shitty and frankly i remember FE was infact full of shitty people with a few friendly faces here and there

On 11/23/2020 at 6:25 AM, Retina_23 said:

I was sort of hoping that we would have a playable version of FE 2.0 by 3rd or 4th quarter 2021, but that seems highly unlikely at this point.  I suppose the spirit of the OP was that the farther into the future a release date becomes the less likely it is to materialize at all. Right now there doesn't appear to be anything comparable to our beloved Fallen Earth on the market. Should that change, however, many people will probably give up waiting and move on. Let's hope that doesn't happen.  

What you say, I already said it more than a year ago ...... and that about that there is no game comparable to Fallen Earth, unfortunately there is and it has a very high population, but I'm not here to advertise another game . What if Fallen Earth could monopolize a large field in this space that has now been totally lost.

On 11/26/2020 at 9:05 AM, Jacksporrow9 said:

guy's we need to give the team some support and hope it well be a live soon it's mainly this virus that been going around that been putting so much damage on the team like them so who know if any of there team is in hospital or at home sick so we need to hang by there side through this hole virus. 

Soliradity... how I like that word. Have you seen the post I made in April? you see "SOLIDARITY"? I thank those four hearts but after more than 500 visits ... matcott could have said something! Soliradity is a very elevated word that is rarely used.

6 hours ago, cowhorseman said:

1st of i do not trust half of you to run or dev this game. second i feel as open source some of the team that runs it would hire there shit head friends to be GMs and if you played something like gmod were servers are ran like that you know how bad of an idea it is. 2nd there taking a game off a custom engine that worked by pure magic and bullshoot and sticking it onto unity which is the part that is taking so long because they gotta make sure each and every single line of code works and each and every single texture item and so on and so forth works and looks right then they gotta make sure all of this can run on a persons pc without totally melting it. so can we stop with this "anything you can do i can better" you guys been at it for years and i doubt you can do better then LOs team of like 5 people trying to work on this while they finish out apb and what not. 2020 has sucked enough patootie lets not go around discouraging people from working on this because they got a bunch of people thinking they can do 50 tons of work faster and better then they can. making games takes a lot of time and you gotta wait or it's gonna be shitty and frankly i remember FE was infact full of shitty people with a few friendly faces here and there

Look, the game is done. we start from this argument. Fallen earth was neither alpha nor beta, ok? The bugs of the game and what has caused that there was no population were:

1-  the game server / client made the game unplayable due to lag

2-  great variety of cheating people who made the population angry, and more knowing that the game did not use anticheat

3-  the game's producers have not been able to manage the updates. (I've always said that since the GORE update everything went to shit)

4- the game masters of the game have been discarded players. Here I speak properly, I have a screenshot of my accusation and I can at least say of one, that surely there are more, that they act as "little bosses" being players coerced to the rest, this has happened since 2014.

5- This is where the massive bans come in for no reason, which has happened equally in this game as in apb, and what matscott spoke of at the beginning when he took the company. (I have to say that in this case Matscott and his team have acted honorably very well to correct this incident)

In summary, I see this game perfectly playable in its original state with 2 maps (with dupes, bugs and their errors) being able to give the game one more incentive to work on it. Of course, limiting the maximum money to 1 yellow, the levels to 30 and the premium objects with a view to the errors that the game still has, that is, a playable mode of the game failsafe. What can someone dupe an object? to do it but if it has no value it does not make sense. I continue to think the same as always and I believe that it is the most positive thing today and in these times to come so that the community that we have created is more united than ever.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:33 PM, Aroa Croft said:

What you say, I already said it more than a year ago ...... and that about that there is no game comparable to Fallen Earth, unfortunately there is and it has a very high population, but I'm not here to advertise another game . What if Fallen Earth could monopolize a large field in this space that has now been totally lost.

Soliradity... how I like that word. Have you seen the post I made in April? you see "SOLIDARITY"? I thank those four hearts but after more than 500 visits ... matcott could have said something! Soliradity is a very elevated word that is rarely used.

Look, the game is done. we start from this argument. Fallen earth was neither alpha nor beta, ok? The bugs of the game and what has caused that there was no population were:

1-  the game server / client made the game unplayable due to lag

2-  great variety of cheating people who made the population angry, and more knowing that the game did not use anticheat

3-  the game's producers have not been able to manage the updates. (I've always said that since the GORE update everything went to shit)

4- the game masters of the game have been discarded players. Here I speak properly, I have a screenshot of my accusation and I can at least say of one, that surely there are more, that they act as "little bosses" being players coerced to the rest, this has happened since 2014.

5- This is where the massive bans come in for no reason, which has happened equally in this game as in apb, and what matscott spoke of at the beginning when he took the company. (I have to say that in this case Matscott and his team have acted honorably very well to correct this incident)

In summary, I see this game perfectly playable in its original state with 2 maps (with dupes, bugs and their errors) being able to give the game one more incentive to work on it. Of course, limiting the maximum money to 1 yellow, the levels to 30 and the premium objects with a view to the errors that the game still has, that is, a playable mode of the game failsafe. What can someone dupe an object? to do it but if it has no value it does not make sense. I continue to think the same as always and I believe that it is the most positive thing today and in these times to come so that the community that we have created is more united than ever.

you seriously still have not learn to shut the fuck up have you? all you ever post is stupid shitty ideas for "your' perfect world and game because your a fucking spoiled shit who thinks everything should be handled to them. APB has two maps for missions and it gets boring as fuck knowing were everything is an no exploring new zones. at least with fallen earth sectors i can always go back again and again doing the same thing becuase they were so big i could never full go through them. 2nd off g1 was lazy they didnt care for anything but money there GMs were patootie at there jobs (expect dastard) and rarely came by or tried to help atleast LO is trying to do something and 3rd massive bans happened with LO due to the fact they unbanned for a second chance. some people learned and accept most didnt. so it isnt matts fault fully on that on. there already is a limit on cash for f2p if you did less bitching and crying you would understand it's not hard to make cash farming pvp pve etc. i know by fact with my many 55's and my many toons that i had well over 20-30 yellow and some people like thana had 50+ yellows just due to farm and selling while playing the way they like to. and why max the level to 30. lets rasie it to 70 and add a new sector on top of that for opening so that way 1 vets who get there items and accounts back have something new to do besides shiny new graphics and make it feel like we wanna replay our 55's and and explore out a new zone  

Removed flaming ~@mayii

• Thanks 1

Imagine still arguing over a dead game. A dead game that has been shut down for over a year at this point. Yikes. 

Move on, Losers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

those of you who say this game is dead and/or a garbage game  , why are you here then ??? lol

anyways , to make a game open source will also make cheating that much more easy from coding being available.

hard pass.

would also mean private servers popping up which would pull away from Little Orbit when it is time to have their server up.

Development money MUST be earned back and open source would stop that from happening.

hard pass

Let Little Orbit do their jobs they have enough on their plates. No need to make things worse for them.

id rather let them do jobs that most of us cant even do 10 percent of.

Edited by Fortune Runner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

you guys should know that a game takes few years to 4 or 5 years to be finish so if they took the game off line and they say there going to reboot it that what it means so it not really dead they just remake it from scrap so it may take them year or 5 years to get it done so be patient let them work on it and in the end it may look so much better in different ways that it could be sweeter, fun.

On 11/27/2020 at 1:13 PM, cowhorseman said:

i had well over 20-30 yellow and some people like thana had 50+ yellows just due to farm and selling while playing the way they like to.

<Ahem> 500, not 50.

It really is funny, that a bunch of trolls refuse to leave a forum of, and I quote them, "dead game". Yet, they yell there's a better project, "which shall not be named".

And, uh, I don't think 4-5 years is FE's deadline, told ya. Aiming a little bit too high I think. 2 years is viable "3 stage plan" nowadays)

On 11/28/2020 at 1:40 AM, Jdred said:

Imagine still arguing over a dead game. A dead game that has been shut down for over a year at this point. Yikes. 

Move on, Losers

On 11/28/2020 at 1:44 AM, Cpg said:

Garbage game. Plz leave ded.

Which games are you playing my friends? I miss your rectum sometimes.

Not new to the forum but I think this may be the first post.
I was going through my Steam games and came across this.

I played Fallen Earth before it was on Steam and remember loving this.

My gaming PC crapped out and it took me a long time to build another one.

When you have 2 kids going to college at the same time, gaming pcs go on the bottom of the list.

Anyway, even though I didn't have a pc to play on, I still game money to promising Kickstarter projects

(some were flops)

If the devs of this game or any future owner need cash to bring this game back, please notify me if any kind of crowd funding campaign is started.

This is one of those games on my list of must saves

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 6:26 PM, Thanatosofone said:

<Ahem> 500, not 50.

dude you had like max cap across each toon you had. yet you refused to give me a single yellow now look were we are

On 12/1/2020 at 1:06 PM, Creeping Vulture said:

It really is funny, that a bunch of trolls refuse to leave a forum of, and I quote them, "dead game". Yet, they yell there's a better project, "which shall not be named".

And, uh, I don't think 4-5 years is FE's deadline, told ya. Aiming a little bit too high I think. 2 years is viable "3 stage plan" nowadays)

It's really funny that I've not posted in these forums since Sept. 2019, but we're active and are always posting. And I find it even funnier that you call people "trolls" who are speaking facts. The game has been offline for over a year, before that having a max of 70ish players. Average of like 30 at any given time. Both facts, which does qualify it as a dead game. Who spoke of a "better project" ?

Big Brain.

On 12/1/2020 at 3:28 PM, Kishoot said:

Which games are you playing my friends? I miss your rectum sometimes.

Currently some of the Heretic guys are running around in ESO EU. We seem to go through a monthly cycle after we get bored with a game though.

11 hours ago, cowhorseman said:

dude you had like max cap across each toon you had. yet you refused to give me a single yellow now look were we are

Making money in FE was easy. How dare someone not give you a hand out.

On 11/30/2020 at 9:26 PM, Thanatosofone said:

<Ahem> 500, not 50.

Hi bb

On 11/29/2020 at 12:19 PM, Anneliesse said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3799565

+1

On 12/4/2020 at 9:19 PM, Jdred said:

Making money in FE was easy. How dare someone not give you a hand out.

TBH if you made a new toon when a 55 was hanging around midway you could just say "i a poor new toon i have no idea what i'm doing" and make 1-5 red off the bat

don't ask me how many times i did that even though i didn't need to, or got random chips sent to me in the mail because i was like level 5 or something.

normally i would bug thana because he had a bunch and i knew he would not give me any because he is grumpy

On 11/30/2020 at 3:35 PM, Jacksporrow9 said:

you guys should know that a game takes few years to 4 or 5 years to be finish so if they took the game off line and they say there going to reboot it that what it means so it not really dead they just remake it from scrap so it may take them year or 5 years to get it done so be patient let them work on it and in the end it may look so much better in different ways that it could be sweeter, fun.

cyberpunk took 9 years to develop .....

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 1:00 PM, cowhorseman said:

Pretty sure you never asked. 

4 hours ago, Thanatosofone said:

Pretty sure you never asked. 

maybe not on cow but i did

On 11/27/2020 at 3:27 AM, cowhorseman said:

1st of i do not trust half of you to run or dev this game

I'm on a 95%/5% scale of agreement here, most players here can/would/will fuck it up without contest. And hell, even if somehow they were using the previous tools, they'd probably still not figure it out.... which is a big yikes.

2 hours ago, Reaps989 said:

I'm on a 95%/5% scale of agreement here, most players here can/would/will fuck it up without contest. And hell, even if somehow they were using the previous tools, they'd probably still not figure it out.... which is a big yikes.

if we left it in the hands of few people names starting with a N and a A i will not name they would fuck this game harder then a lone nice lady in a brothel