Sign in to follow this  
Stongs / shidiOt

District Population

I believe this is going to be a difficult one to answer, also potentially pointless if cross-district matchmaking becomes a thing, because while servers are currently perfectly capable of handling 100 vanilla characters in single district, loading 80 characters with multiple outfits customized to the max and multiple vehicles customized to max apparently is on the brink of doom and just about to make servers poop themselves.

Perharps when the developement progresses through current version -> UE 3.5 -> UE 4 there will be new solutions available for the current mess our characters apparently are programming-wise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stongs / shidiOt said:

Will districts go back to being 50/50 or at least 45/45? Please and thank you 😉

I am going to vote this suggestion down and here is why.....

The current population (on NA at least) cannot handle it. Generally we have one financial and one waterfront. If you make the population smaller in each district it will create more overflow districts and people will be more likely to join those districts. If say Financial-2 is 50/50 and Financial-5 is 10/7, people will just spam FN-2 thinking the other district is dead. If they have to spam too much they might decide not to play, sit in social instead, or play fight club. If the district is smaller, say 35-35, 10/7 it might encourage people to fill it up.

I say the more district options we have, the better. If anything, decrease it to 35-35 and give us more districts.

Now....if the population on NA goes up to like 1500 or so, then I could see increasing the population as long as the servers can handle it. 

59 minutes ago, Stongs / shidiOt said:

Will districts go back to being 50/50 or at least 45/45? Please and thank you 😉

This would be a great place to ask your question:

https://forums.gamersfirst.com/topic/116-questions-for-lo/

Hopefully the population will increase enough so that there would be a use for having more servers with more players per server!

22 minutes ago, LaQuandra said:

The current population (on NA at least) cannot handle it. Generally we have one financial and one waterfront. If you make the population smaller in each district it will create more overflow districts and people will be more likely to join those districts. If say Financial-2 is 50/50 and Financial-5 is 10/7, people will just spam FN-2 thinking the other district is dead. If they have to spam too much they might decide not to play, sit in social instead, or play fight club. If the district is smaller, say 35-35, 10/7 it might encourage people to fill it up.

I say the more district options we have, the better. If anything, decrease it to 35-35 and give us more districts.

Now....if the population on NA goes up to like 1500 or so, then I could see increasing the population as long as the servers can handle it. 

The problem with lowering the district population is that you have less options in terms of players to be placed against. Yesterday playing in a full 40/40 district I still had to wait upwards of 10 minutes just to get opposition, so i have to disagree with you about lowering the pop. Yeah higher player base is essential to have when raising districts back to 50/50 but it's something that can be achieved with at least 700 players on the game because that's how it was before.

• Like 4

Just now, Stongs / shidiOt said:

The problem with lowering the district population is that you have less options in terms of players to be placed against. Yesterday playing in a full 40/40 district I still had to wait upwards of 10 minutes just to get opposition, so i have to disagree with you about lowering the pop. Yeah higher player base is essential to have when raising districts back to 50/50 but it's something that can be achieved with at least 700 players on the game because that's how it was before.

But that can be corrected with better matchmaking. If a bunch of players join the 50/50 server you still might not get matches right away if they were low rank players. So having more options is better. If FN-2 is bad, you can move to FN-5, if that is bad, go to FN-8.

Once population increases segregated skill level will be an option again.

In the meantime bumping up the servers will just turn into a queue spamfest for the one full district and people reluctant to join a "dead" instance and then not playing.

50 v 50 Might be back when they upgrade to UE 3.5.

Edited by TR3NT

50/50 Servers will surely come back once they got some servers that aren't powered by a Peacock. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LaQuandra said:

But that can be corrected with better matchmaking. If a bunch of players join the 50/50 server you still might not get matches right away if they were low rank players. So having more options is better. If FN-2 is bad, you can move to FN-5, if that is bad, go to FN-8.

Once population increases segregated skill level will be an option again.

In the meantime bumping up the servers will just turn into a queue spamfest for the one full district and people reluctant to join a "dead" instance and then not playing.

That doesn't fix anything, you're suggesting people spam into different districts if they don't get opp in the ones their in now. The districts will fill if there is a population to support it, lowering the pop wouldn't fix anything you can be in a full 30/30 district and never get opp and when you do get opp you'll only get the same players.

Great suggestion Stongs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaQuandra said:

I'd hate to see this. We have severe trouble getting opp in twos, threes, and fours as is. I can't imagine what itd be like with even less population per district.

2 minutes ago, Stongs / shidiOt said:

That doesn't fix anything, you're suggesting people spam into different districts if they don't get opp in the ones their in now. The districts will fill if there is a population to support it, lowering the pop wouldn't fix anything you can be in a full 30/30 district and never get opp and when you do get opp you'll only get the same players.

It seems like you're arguing for better match making, which I agree it can be better. There aren't enough "gold 10" types to give you a diversified amount of opposition regardless of server size. I am sure you'd be happy if you were in a 30/30 district and you played against 7 different 4 game groups of equal or similar skill. The size of the population won't necessarily improve the match matching algorithm because you're still at the mercy of the skill level of the 50/50, 60/60, 70/70, 80/80 people in the server.

Right now the best bet is to create more overflow servers and get people playing the game again and easily able to join any district of their choice without having to queue spam. Relax the match making a bit and enjoy your match against the 2 golds and 4 silvers a little faster while a more skilled group becomes available.

let’s just put everyone in the same districts, 1 financial and 1 waterfront

what could go wrong 

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I'd hate to see this. We have severe trouble getting opp in twos, threes, and fours as is. I can't imagine what itd be like with even less population per district.

I think it's a bit overblown and sometimes people can be impatient. My threat is high, I've played with high threat players in full groups. Do we wait sometimes? Yes. Do we get diversified opp quickly sometimes? Yes. Do we keep getting the same groups sometimes? Yes. The issue is with match making, not the size of the server. 

Imagine you're gold 10 and the 30/30 server is full of other gold 10 players. You'd get diversified opp. The amount of players doesn't matter....the quality does for match making. Argue to relax match making more so higher threat players don't have to wait as long.

What we need is cross-district matchmaking/phasing.

Just now, -Rachel- said:

What we need is cross-district matchmaking/phasing.

would be the optimal solution

who knows if it’s even feasible tho

Just now, BXNNXD said:

would be the optimal solution

who knows if it’s even feasible tho

Anything is doable with code, it's a matter of how much and whether they think it's the best solution.

1 hour ago, LaQuandra said:

I think it's a bit overblown and sometimes people can be impatient. My threat is high, I've played with high threat players in full groups. Do we wait sometimes? Yes. Do we get diversified opp quickly sometimes? Yes. Do we keep getting the same groups sometimes? Yes. The issue is with match making, not the size of the server. 

Imagine you're gold 10 and the 30/30 server is full of other gold 10 players. You'd get diversified opp. The amount of players doesn't matter....the quality does for match making. Argue to relax match making more so higher threat players don't have to wait as long.

Did some testing in our 3 man group. Since i replied to you, i've been actively playing the game, no downtime when we ready up. Every mission we've played has started unopped, and been offense. We've had opped missions four times, including the one I was in while I replied to you originally. I've spent over twice as much time unopped as I have opped in a full waterfront district. If you'd like, I can record some concrete numbers for you.

I have played maybe a single defense mission in the past 24 hours on top of that, so instant opp is incredibly rare.

Edited by Virgil

27 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Did some testing in our 3 man group. Since i replied to you, i've been actively playing the game, no downtime when we ready up. Every mission we've played has started unopped, and been offense. We've had opped missions four times, including the one I was in while I replied to you originally. I've spent over twice as much time unopped as I have opped in a full waterfront district. If you'd like, I can record some concrete numbers for you.

I have played maybe a single defense mission in the past 24 hours on top of that, so instant opp is incredibly rare.

Instant opp is not incredibly rare. So how exactly will the problem be solved if you up the faction size by 10 up to 50/50 if they are all low golds and silvers?

3 minutes ago, LaQuandra said:

Instant opp is not incredibly rare. So how exactly will the problem be solved if you up the faction size by 10 up to 50/50 if they are all low golds and silvers?

more people in district = more people out of mission and ready for mission = more people in the pool for you to get put against.

In the old days, it wasn't uncommon for us to get 3-4v6-7+

Edited by Virgil

Sign in to follow this