Trivirium

Should Social be improved?

Now I'm not saying by any means that these ideas I'm putting out there are fool proof nor perfect or what should happen in fact. It's open for discussion.

For the most part, a one stop and shop in the corner of social is the only spot of "social" interaction and players huddle around there and then either hang around for a while longer or move dist. I personally think that social is very underutilized and could benefit from a few things and sort of "fill out" social and make it more lively. I know it would be at the cost of convenience but I've got a few suggestions of my own and I'm always curious as to what everyone else thinks on this.

- Separate the "one stop and shop" corner.

- Spreading out the shops and make each shop unique to what it sells and style the interior accordingly?

- Make faction only items available only from a shop/contact in the faction clubs. (That's kind of a thing already but it's not locked to them or anything. Again, "one stop and shopping".

- Usable seating in clubs, social areas and park benches. (I know that sounds kinda RPish and cringey BUT it would help with social grouping and making the game lively. If it isn't your cup of tea than so be it. You don't have to use it.

- Mini games? Arcade area? Something that can show the peaceful atmosphere and inspire friendly competition between crims and enfs in true spirit of Social.

- Update the car customization area/dealership. Make people's display cars open to the public, maybe lay a few out in front of the doors going into the dealership. (Contest winners held by LO/CMs for customization?) 

I don't exactly know, those are just a few suggestions that I've thought about. I'm a sucker for the lore and the free spirit of APB, I'd just hate to see so much potential go to waste with social.

Edited by OpTicElement
Can't Engrish
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Similarities said:

Shooting range in Social so I can try out guns WHEN?

^this^

6 minutes ago, Similarities said:

Never thought of that even though it seems the most obvious. I'd be interested to see how that'd work.

• Like 1

I am all for the increased utilization of social district, but I may have to disagree with you on the shop system, mainly for clothes, for one reason.

This game is a designer suite, meaning that it is very easy and simple to set up outfits in clothing kiosks because we have everything available to us to try and see what works. I really wouldn't like to have to leave the clothing kiosks, to go and buy certain clothing from somebody, only to put it on in the kiosk, and hate my purchase, and have to tediously go back and forth in the hopes I come up with the right combination. I'd rather all clothing be available so that my trial and error is more condensed and less of a chore.

Other than that, I guess we can add a soccer ball in the middle of social that we all just spam kick and see what happens (I've been playing too much Destiny 2).

We already have faction side clubs and stuff, but even then I don't like the idea of isolating myself from Criminals just because I'm an Enforcer. We're all here to show off our characters, talk, troll, etc. Isolation from the other faction doesn't seem like something I would do.

I'm all for bench sitting and more emotes, and just more little things that make a game feel like it has more life, maybe even a working bar with a bartender. I'd laugh if it was Kempington's character model as the bartender.

You have your heart in the right place. It's a good thing. I just wouldn't want to sacrifice what makes the game easy in terms of design for the purpose of utilization. Players themselves will just need to be more open to using locations in social for meetings, events, etc.

In all honestly, if you want more utilization, you need to put more orange and purple kiosks all over the social map so people don't have to run back to the bottom left corner of social to change a layer of clothing, or to change the tilt of their nose.

Edited by BartMcRoy
more to add
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Similarities said:

You got it in The Divison, LO needs to take some concepts from other games.

20 minutes ago, Similarities said:

Some MMO's have those training dummies where you can test how your weapon actually holds up, how long it takes to "kill" someone based on your weapon.  It would be sweet to have training dummies which approximate player health /w various mods, like clotting 2, 3, and Kev etc... so we can see precisely how our weapons work. Nades should work on them so we can practice our leet noobie skillz in social, as well as rent guns to try them out before we buy.
dummyrecols02.jpg?w=810

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BartMcRoy said:

I am all for the increased utilization of social district, but I may have to disagree with you on the shop system, mainly for clothes, for one reason.

This game is a designer suite, meaning that it is very easy and simple to set up outfits in clothing kiosks because we have everything available to us to try and see what works. I really wouldn't like to have to leave the clothing kiosks, to go and buy certain clothing from somebody, only to put it on in the kiosk, and hate my purchase, and have to tediously go back and forth in the hopes I come up with the right combination. I'd rather all clothing be available so that my trial and error is more condensed and less of a chore.

Other than that, I guess we can add a soccer ball in the middle of social that we all just spam kick and see what happens (I've been playing too much Destiny 2).

We already have faction side clubs and stuff, but even then I don't like the idea of isolating myself from Criminals just because I'm an Enforcer. We're all here to show off our characters, talk, troll, etc. Isolation from the other faction doesn't seem like something I would do.

I'm all for bench sitting and more emotes, and just more little things that make a game feel like it has more life, maybe even a working bar with a bartender. I'd laugh if it was Kempington's character model as the bartender.

You have your heart in the right place. It's a good thing. I just wouldn't want to sacrifice what makes the game easy in terms of design for the purpose of utilization. Players themselves will just need to be more open to using locations in social for meetings, events, etc.

In all honestly, if you want more utilization, you need to put more orange and purple kiosks all over the social map so people don't have to run back to the bottom left corner of social to change a layer of clothing or whatnot.

I can understand the need for convenience when designing, but instead of having maybe one spot in the center of everything, maybe have a specific design(er) kiosk in a spot in each of the faction clubs? Again though, the majority of social is about design and creation. Attempting to fill social and space out something that is so in depth and time consuming as designing can be hard to nail so that it can keep a nice aesthetic and lively essence while keeping the functionality of the former.

• Thanks 1

I would love the music maker to be a little bit more in-depth. Specifically, the abaility to make the music (NOT themes!) able to go into 6/8 time instead if the usual 3/4 that the game is locked into.

That and the ability to make a single note last longer than the two measures that we're given to work with for a single melody-line or whatever you want to call those.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OpTicElement said:

I can understand the need for convenience when designing, but instead of having maybe one spot in the center of everything, maybe have a specific design(er) kiosk in a spot in each of the faction clubs? Again though, the majority of social is about design and creation. Attempting to fill social and space out something that is so in depth and time consuming as designing can be hard to nail so that it can keep a nice aesthetic and lively essence while keeping the functionality of the former.

That is definitely something to consider, considering the only part of social to offer these kiosks is the bottom left portion. If allowed to other portions of the map, it can definitely allow for the spreading of the population and allow for a more utilized district.

what about a small pvp arena where you can duel between teams or alone with no rewards... orrrrr maybe you can have the option to make a bet of whatever items you agree to risk between teams/persons.

1 minute ago, sometaters said:

I would love the music maker to be a little bit more in-depth. Specifically, the abaility to make the music (NOT themes!) able to go into 6/8 time instead if the usual 3/4 that the game is locked into.

That and the ability to make a single note last longer than the two measures that we're given to work with for a single melody-line or whatever you want to call those.

As a musician, I totally understand the pain of the limitation of the music editor in APB.

I can't say that I know the limitations when it comes to the servers storing our creations, but I imagine that the limitations made by the music editor are for the purposes of being able to store all the information of every song created by every player.

4 minutes ago, Guacamole said:

what about a small pvp arena where you can duel between teams or alone with no rewards... orrrrr maybe you can have the option to make a bet of whatever items you agree to risk between teams/persons.

Thought about small PvP, something like paintball or the likes, doubt that'd fly though. Seems silly to shoot at each other when the point of social is to do exactly the opposite of that.

Along with that, items being "traded" in any way can create legal issues for LO as they'd technically have a working trade system of sorts.

Edited by OpTicElement

Agreed Social needs a make over with some new stuff like what another person suggested a Shooting range.

Edit: I Suggest like some kind of living quarters in social and to also have crims and enforcers have separate buildings so to give you the feel like you really live in San Paro.

Edited by TR3NT

What about instanced garages? Those could work like guild/player housing used to hang out and display achievements, cars and cash shop items. 

Collectibles are great incentive to keep grinding playing and such places offer great potential for cash shop and jmb itemization.

I like player housing in other games such as ESO. Not that I'm using them but spending time and money to obtain stuff for the sake of having it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clandestine said:

Collectibles are great incentive to keep grinding playing.

I spat my drink.

Also I kinda like the idea of guild/player housing. It would add more in terms of an RPG standpoint, but even then, that is more data for them to store.

The system would probably have to be somewhat similar to GTA's version, with slight customization, a trophy system, but the base layout is the same.

And sadly, while I typed this, I realize someones gonna make a brothel. Oh god why am I cursed with this mind.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BartMcRoy said:

I spat my drink.

Also I kinda like the idea of guild/player housing. It would add more in terms of an RPG standpoint, but even then, that is more data for them to store.

The system would probably have to be somewhat similar to GTA's version, with slight customization, a trophy system, but the base layout is the same.

And sadly, while I typed this, I realize someones gonna make a brothel. Oh god why am I cursed with this mind.

I think that current customization with characters and cars is more taxing on the servers. They have to store it somewhere but if instance is limited to say 10 people that's far better than district or social pop. It would be also cool place to show off our symbols.

And sweep Erping lolis from social

Shooting range is NEEDED , and galleria needs clothing designers

Add pizza hut, you order in game -> gets delivered to your door.

Then you get a digital version of your order, so you can start a food fight 🤔

Edited by Isais

I agree with all of these, I personally feel as if the shooting range is a priority for guns you may want to try out before buying/trading for.

• Like 2

Also sub-subject out in the social is the market place, which in my opinion realy need to get sharper, A better searching tools and such.
I'd also add some unique stands next to the marina dock so it will have that intimacy feel at nights anywho great ideas I just like you would love to see the social getting wider with possibilities, i think thats this is one of the best features the game has to offer and most of us can stay hours hanging out 

Re-implement Joker Associates Store, which was Dev MonteCristo's vision before he left.

Speed-Ball was created for this purpose.

Every month, the top community designers get their gear added to the Joker store, and earn a special title/joker gun skin.

This was a great community on-going event/contest. It should be continued. Everything is already set to run it, it just needs a Dev to do it...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

how about another social district. Like Metro station. or something different. Im tired of seeing the same Social for 10 years.

Shooting Range is an amazing idea.

The talk of instanced clan space sounds awesome, makes me think of GTA5 a bit. And it made me think of another thing, like, clan based missions as in games like SWTOR and DCUO.  Invade eachothers safe house, maybe crash yacht parties or something.

Have in game mission related methods to improve your clan HQ or whatevs.

Or like, when LAST.FM was working properly once upon a time, people could actually use the DJ booths to DJ.

Edit to add: It would be super awesome if there were in district ways to jump directly to social, like the subway at double B.

Edited by Gunsei

10 hours ago, iodyne_ said:

Re-implement Joker Associates Store, which was Dev MonteCristo's vision before he left.

Speed-Ball was created for this purpose.

Every month, the top community designers get their gear added to the Joker store, and earn a special title/joker gun skin.

This was a great community on-going event/contest. It should be continued. Everything is already set to run it, it just needs a Dev to do it...

I remember that event, they have out a joker distribution weapon skin and title. I don't know if having that system/store would fill out social but it'd definitely be another place for players to goto and definitely healthy for the community.