Sakebee

10/24 Beta Feedback

Specs: 

i7-8750h  4.10 GHz

GTX 1060 6GB

32GB DDR4 2666 mhz 

1. Performance is way worse, just on the feel of it all, it was not enjoyable in FC or Missions, and when turning some settings (like dynamic lights) the game looks ugly as hell. Uglier than live.

2. Minimal settings on the beta somehow looks way worse than live potato graphics, not sure how that happened.

3. Lower resolutions looks way worse on the beta than on LIVE, not sure wht but it does, I tested on 1280x960.

Overall, it's closer than it was before but it's nowhere near completed. (Also that font looks thicc.) 

PS: The UI Inventory still lags the game like a mf, I dropped from 120 fps to 30 when changing weapons.

5Ghz 8700k, 1660 Super, 16GB ram @ 3000mhz

With 2 highest settings, performance in financial with 8 people population is...well....trash. Getting dips from 100 down to 30 when 2-3 cars explode and everyone is shooting. Just driving around also makes fps dip. It's worse than Live.

The overall aesthetics of the game is also trash, Live looks better. What the hell is this even?

As for CPU usage, one of the core was at 50% and 2 others managed to hit 25ish%, the rest were from 8-15.   GPU didn't struggle much, don't think it was any more than 50%.

eTO4Gxc.png

Specs:

i7 7740x @4.56Ghz

GTX 1070

32gb ddr4 @3200mhz

- Foliage has severe impact on frame-rate. 

- Some lightmaps aren't correct.

- black & white colors are off.

- Live has better performance in all districts.

- The game stutters less than live.

- Sounds quality and accuracy are off. The panning is not smooth, with Spatial audio its worse.

I've photoshopped the beta to make it look more colorful and bloomy. 

Before:

Test-Before.jpg

After:

Test-After.jpg

The shadows and black colors are way too dark.

• Like 2

processor I7 4771

nvidea GTX 760

16.0 ddr3

yesterday with putting my settings on a decent performance i felt yes i can play the game on a decent fps ...

comparing withtoday .... i m getting on low ... less than 30 fps

gpl6zN4.jpg

u can see my frustratoin here when i started til i got satisfied  video from yesterday

overal tought ... i don't like the lighting of the characters it looks like the characters are like Lamps...

... waterfront ship water reflection ... kinda to big in my opinion.

rest i find decent for what i have seen with my 760

Edited by TzickyT

So after playing the game last night, the graphics/visuals looks worse than RTW graphics/visuals and that was what 10 years ago?

The Menu/UI is sexy , text fronts, floor reelections are nice, but that's it. Seems like they have a long way to go.

I also couldn't see night time to see if there were any bloom similar to RTW or glowing lights on buildings, were night time cycle available?  

memory usage is too high, apb beta alone uses like 6gb+, that's a lot!!

12 minutes ago, Uhtdred said:

memory usage is too high, apb beta alone uses like 6gb+, that's a lot!!

What did you honestly expect when they went to 64 bit (which finally allows them to use more than 4 GB)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kevkof said:

What did you honestly expect when they went to 64 bit (which finally allows them to use more than 4 GB)

welp, that means people with only 8gb won't be able to play it....

4 minutes ago, Uhtdred said:

welp, that means people with only 8gb won't be able to play it....

I'm not sure of your specs, but if you're running 16GB it could just be that you're not hitting any other limits and it just takes what it can within its set limits.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevkof said:

I'm not sure of your specs, but if you're running 16GB it could just be that you're not hitting any other limits and it just takes what it can within its set limits.

yea 16gb 3000mhz

I wasnt able to participate in the first betas, so i was excited to tryout this one, but upon trying to install, i noticed i was only getting 1.5mbs/s which- no is not the fault of my internet. also for some very odd reason apb beta immediately synced to my OneDrive, i didnt choose this and it would not stop. so i was unable to test out the beta. i had to stop installing and im still in the process of removing each individual apb beta file from my OneDrive. Im not sure if this was some one time glitch or what but I feel that probably needs some looking into. 

-idk if this changes anything but i did try to install on my D drive, not my C because i have more space there and its usually when i put all my games except for the few that must be installed to C.

Just now, xYzukIx said:

I wasnt able to participate in the first betas, so i was excited to tryout this one, but upon trying to install, i noticed i was only getting 1.5mbs/s which- no is not the fault of my internet. also for some very odd reason apb beta immediately synced to my OneDrive, i didnt choose this and it would not stop. so i was unable to test out the beta. i had to stop installing and im still in the process of removing each individual apb beta file from my OneDrive. Im not sure if this was some one time glitch or what but I feel that probably needs some looking into. 

-idk if this changes anything but i did try to install on my D drive, not my C because i have more space there and its usually when i put all my games except for the few that must be installed to C.

am very sad btw 😞 

Ryzen 5 3600 

RTX 2060

16GB 3200Mhz DDR4

Overall fps wasnt too bad compared to live (around -20 fps) for me but fps drops was annoying. Im not worried about that tho at this point the look and feel is way important for me (for this beta). Performans ll be good at some point (if not whats point of upgrading) but the visuals are not very promising imo. Game has a weird ORANGE feel , blacks are too black and colors look weird. I know that its not finished but as I read from matts post we are close to release and Im not sure man. Live looks and feels a lot more better than the beta. If performans and the visuals stay like this at launch I dont see myself playing. Im not hopeless but worried. I know that performans is the main focus rn and the plan is recrate a player base around 3.5 but if visuals stay like this I feel like game ll lose its own player base. That just my opinion and feedback. Good luck LO 

Since it's been brought up a few times, I gotta say I'm not a fan of the new aesthetics too.

All the retextures make the game super colorful, while it's supposed to be somewhat dark and gritty.

But that's a design decision made by Reloaded Productions and can't easily be reverted, so we're gonna stick to that for now.

Social District looks damn fine though.

so i figured out a way to install just default to c. 

so here are my thoughts on:

Menu:

-weird view distance stuttering line, objects in back also flicker 

Social: 

-lighting is way off just everywhere. everything just seems oversaturated and there seems to be a lack of shadows where they should be theres also a weird stuttering line at times either right under your feet or in your view distance

-textures on trees are rough to say the least

-foliage is just .... hideous dear god

-trespass is just orange so very very orange

-the night sky still has a sun in it ? ?

Character Creation: 

-certain aspects of the character are still extremely pixilated (eyebrows/ ears/ eyeshadow/ eyes)

-dear god what happened to the fingers??? why are they worse and ugly??? 

-textures look off on certain clothing items

-pixilation issues on many decals looks to still be an issue

Financial:

-massive stutter in running as if the running animation is incorrect

-sound issues sounds like theres car behind me but its just me 

-chrome glitch is still a thing

-shooting through objects-- not destroyable objects

-too many graphical and optimization errors to list really

Feedback: (I joined with no one on so couldn't test actual fights in action districts, but i fear there's no way that couldn't be worse since only 3 people total were in waterfront)

1. performance is doo doo. I'm reading 120fps and it feels like crap, 8700k, 1080Ti, 32GB 3600 RAM. Feels pre-alpha input-lag-filled garbage. "smooth framerate" was enabled by default and felt 10x worse. Disabling smooth frame rate made it semi-playable but as above described. Given it's a f2p and I'm on a better PC than the average demo for f2p titles, this seems unplayable.

2. The UI looks way worse? The font and everything just feels like weird 720p stretched to 1080 or something. It doesn't look good. The fonts are low res and look really dated and odd. Definitely worse and older looking than the current live build.

3. I like the lighting.

I hope this isn't too close to release yet, despite the delays, because this definitely isn't it. Not trying to be a banana but this engine upgrade is the #1 opportunity for a mass influx of players to at least give it a try again, and in it's current state it's going to be received extremely poorly extremely quickly. Performance flat out has to be better. Default settings need to be better. Game doesn't have a chance if people still need to rely on weird niche ultra nerd advanced launcher settings just to make it comparable to literally any other shooter that exists now. If the game CAN run better for most people with different settings, those settings should be default. It's a f2p, let people turn up the graphics if they can, not try and struggle to fix their shit default performance.

I like beta. bright. lighting. beautiful picture. you are great. cool. did not play badly in the districts 🙂 the tracers noticed appeared. you can see how the bullets fly. I didn't really expect this. but I know others were waiting for it. cool. there is a suggestion from a friend. forgot to check the flashing lights on the police car 😞 he saw in one video they shone brightly on the sides. I liked it too. link youtube APB 2011. liked the beta icon at the bottom right. with a friend made screenshots for memory. we were on beta 🙂 maybe focus on gameplay? to make the game more interesting. bring something new to it or good ideas from other games. because I'm ready to play nintendo 🙂 if the game is really cool interesting + music. but the music is so cool in APB. this creates a unique atmosphere for the game. graphics are not as important to me as to others. there would be something to do in the game. I want to repeat myself because of those who do not believe in the game. I have never seen such a game. I don’t understand why she’s not worthy to be played. what's wrong? there are much worse projects. but this game can still shoot very well. I do not understand the negative reviews of people. or I don't understand a lot. I look at the overall picture, which is more visible to the eye. I like. you need to concentrate on the more important visible things. to do little things later. thanks for the beta 🙂 ZBS.jpg

Merged.

the anti-cheat question is still important for me. I would like to see this moment after the murder. one popular battle royale game has already done this

• Thanks 1

On sunday the game was running wayyyy better.Idk what you did for couple of hours but on saturday was lagy/glitchi mess.Anyway in this videos i show pretty much everything..

PC Specs:

processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.80GHz

memory (RAM): 8,00 GB

graphic card: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030

operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

monitor: resolution 1600x900 ; refresh rate 60hz

Edited by TheMessiah

Runs worse than live for me. Even more frequent frame drops in the beta than on live. Can't even sustain 40fps constantly unless I just camp indoors and not go outside.

Didn't really play with the settings much since they really don't seem to help.

Low vs High and Ultra, low obviously reached higher fps but they both were dropping frames to the point where it's just better to use ultra because it looks better and still equally unplayable.

My specs are pretty meh but I expected better,

i5-4460

gtx 1050ti 4gb

8gb ram ddr3 1600mhz

windows 10 

played on a 1920 x 1080 165hz monitor, not that it mattered because it reached >100fps only once.

So I'll share my brief impressions of the beta. I will point out that this was my first time testing it as the first time I could not launch the game and second time I just missed out. Sadly there were apparently not many people playing it so all I managed to do in regards of PvP was one open conflict mission in Waterfront.

SPECS:

Intel i7-6820HK

GTX1070 8GB

16GB RAM

Win10

Played in 1920x1080 on Very High preset

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS, VISUAL AND PERFORMANCE:

Overall I was pretty impressed. The game seemed stable and I had no big issues exploring the four districts. Over my entire course of testing, I experienced two instances of CTD and both happened in social while or after working in the vehicle customization booths.

As far as performance goes, sadly I could not do much testing in matches due to there basically being no people playing. I did one mission in Waterfront (on Sunday), 4-5 players if I remember correctly and that particular time I had some pretty big issues with the FPS. Waterfront in general seemed to run in pretty low 30s with the FPS dipping well under 15 in mission and in firefights.

Financial seemed to run a lot better (Monday afternoon). Granted, the district was almost empty with there being two other players in addition to me, but I was getting 80-95 FPS just sitting in the San Paro Central Rail Station. When I drove my car around the city, the FPS was sitting around 50-60 FPS with occasional dips into 40s, Totally fine by my standards.

Both Social district and Asylum were running incredibly well with the FPS being stably in the ballpark of 90 (high 80s) - 100 FPS. Sadly, as mentioned, I couldn't try missions in neither Asylum not Financial so I lack the data of how that would have affected the FPS.

From a visual standpoint, I was pleasantly surprised by the dynamic shadows and reflections. Reflections looked really good on some clothing items such as the vinyl shirt, at the same time on the player skin it looked a bit as if I was covered by a thin and even layer of sweat. What I did not find to my liking however was the color contrast, which in my opinion is WAY too high. Not only does everything that is not in direct sunlight look almost pitch black but I found that over a short while it actually started hurting my eyes. I would honestly look into that and see if some adjustments can be made.

CONCLUSIONS:

Overall, I was positively impressed. I know there is probably still a lot to do but in general I was still impressed that the game was actually running on the new engine and everything seemed to be there. I will also add some screenshots of my experiences below.

BE17B1F1610505FDD6101650EA3C194A816E8A7A

DF1669DDDB53846B1836A971E0BEB0462B894771

760F03C96E498C8B4B72ED296C676131BC407803

6DC4170CB5A3338719BA225E24C063B93D13A3B0

• Like 1

So far testing only EU servers have best performance where as US suffer. The high ram usage is scary thing imo in mission districts which was, you guessed right US servers suffer. Social was about 3 half usage of ram. Also as stated before loading in new cars they look metallic shined over graphics. I do love new ambiance sound for Asylum, i found some really funny ones where people where talking behind doors. Also outside ambiance sounds with crows ect is nice. The designing needs some work though its still off like live and was hoping for more smoother experience when working with decals to place, also the lighting is way to dark or way to bright when going in designer kiosk. When loading in district the performance takes huge nose dive, so should look at that as well. Love graffiti on walls and detail you put on buildings, the lighting needs work though as stated before. All in all i enjoyed experience, but high ram  usage and performance issues need be fixed for sure. 😀 Thanks for letting me test and hope to see these things looked at or fixed. Thanks for all work you do LO.😘

Specs:

• CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.01 GHz)
  • RAM: 16 GB DDR4
  • GPU: RTX 2070 Super (Driver version 446.14)
  • Monitor: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz

(I ran the game at Ultra settings with VSync turned off and double buffering enabled)

Throughout my post I've linked screenshots within the text in order to prevent my post from taking up a bunch of space.

Overall Impression:

I didn't get a chance to test combat due to the times I was able to get on, but I did take the time to drive around and explore the mission districts. Overall I think the update is a step in the right direction, but there are some serious issues (mainly regarding performance) that need to be addressed before the update comes out. I understand the desire to take a "sooner rather than later" approach, but if the engine upgrade is pushed in its current state, then it's going to do much more harm then good for the game.

Performance:

I'm not going to beat around the bush here, performance definitely needs some work. I know the goal was to test the overall feel of the game without looking at frame rates, but that's kind of hard to do when that "overall feel" gets incredibly choppy. In some areas (especially ones with lots of level geometry, even without any NPCs or vehicles) performance takes a pretty big hit down to 35-40 FPS. There's also an issue with turning the camera rapidly causing extreme lag, sometimes down to around 20 FPS if done continuously. I also ran into an issue where after exploring a district for around 15 minute my overall frame rate started to decline to around 30 FPS regardless of where I was or what I was doing, and even looking at the sky so no objects were visible only brought it back up to 40 FPS. I know the graphics of the game have improved, but my rig is able to run games that look far better than APB 2.1 and at a much higher frame rate. I'll say it again, performance needs another pass, otherwise new and returning players will quickly be turned off from what appears to be horrible optimization.

Visuals:

Most of the visual improvements are good, the increased render distance helps make the city feel like an actual city, especially at night when I'm able to see lights way off in the distance. Aesthetically, I thought night time was far too bright. If someone looked at this image, do you think they would have even known it was taken at night? Here's an example of how I feel night time should look. In the example, I'm inside the buildings' shadows, so the area is darker, nothing is casting any shadows, and the brightness of the lights is (mostly) appropriate. And for comparison, here's the intersection just behind that area which isn't covered by the buildings' shadows. Here's another example in Waterfront where the building almost looks like it's an unlit material, but the building right behind it that are within some shadows looks (in my opinion) much better, while still maintaining that color contrast with the red paneling.

The bloom effect is way overdone in some areas, leading to the excessive contrast that I've seen others referring to. The bloom seems to be effected by distances. Across the street from the garage the light appears to be way too bright, making a decent portion of that wall a white blob. But when I get next to the light, the bloom seems far more reasonable. Here's another example at far, medium, and close distances. Outside of Club Subversion straight up looks white when it's supposed to be blue. And here's one more example for good measure, at a distance vs up close. What I found interesting is that it doesn't effect all light sources, there were some where the lighting looked pretty good at all distances such as Club Subversion's parking lot and the evidence locker in Waterfront.

Lighting indoors is a mixed bag too. On one hand, you have instances like these where the light on dynamic objects (such as my character) looks blindingly bright but the baked light on static geometry seems pretty average. On the other hand, you have the Waterfront sewer tunnels that look pretty cool with the help of the improved draw distance.

I didn't have much of an opportunity to experiment while it was daytime in game, but I'll parrot what others have said about the contrast between light and dark being way too high. The overall "color palette" is alright in my opinion, though some areas could be toned down a bit, such as the inside of the boat on Waterfront.

One last side note, while this effect on the boat is (hopefully) not intentional at night, if you added some lights that looked like they were reflecting off the water I think it'd honestly look pretty cool.

Audio:

I didn't have much of a chance to test it, but the audio seemed to have some issues. Loading screens were at normal volume (what it's like on live) while the actual game + in game radio seemed to be extremely quiet. I also noticed some issues when driving cars (especially ones I commandeered/stole) that the sound of the tires on the pavement was way too loud (even being louder than the engine in some instances).

G1/LO, I appreciate you all giving players the opportunity to test the coveted engine upgrade. I still think it holds a lot of potential but there are some major kinks that need to be worked out first. If not, then I think you seriously run the risk of driving away current players while failing to pick up new ones, which is the opposite of what the engine upgrade is supposed to do. I hope you take the opportunity for more beta tests like this one that take place over a couple of days rather than hours.

• Like 2

Here's the 10 key points of what I personally experienced during the beta, using a Ryzen 5 2600, an RX 580 and 16 GiB of RAM :

1. Starting up the Beta is still much shorter than starting Live, effectively removing most of the annoying delay between when you launch the game's .exe, and when you actually select a district.

2. Although this beta ran considerably worse than Live in Mission districts, performance was completely acceptable in Social and Fight Club districts, even at ultra settings.

3. The game felt a lot nicer to me, with tracers greatly improving my threat localization time, and gameplay feeling smoother overall than Live.

4. The lighting still isn't quite there yet. Shadows look a lot better but they also tank frames very heavily in Mission districts. It also feels like the contrast and colors are wrong, I had to set my ingame brightness to 2.5 for things to look okay, and even then there were plenty of areas where light was either way too dark or way too bright to begin with (Namely in social shops), as illustrated here :
    1.png2.png3.png

5. Materials and textures are hit or miss. Although certain areas are lacking, like the vegetation in Financial being clearly too dark, reflective materials like glossy leggings and car paints look a lot better. Specifically in Social, faces look considerably better in the Beta than they do in Live using the same body customization. That being said, player skin still looks a little too shiny to me overall.
    20201026225222_1.jpg20201025235509_1.jpg
    20201026043421_1.jpg20201026012535_1.jpg

6. All the social kiosks appear to be fully functional (albeit a little glitchy). The persona and clothes kiosks will sometimes bring back the weird malformed character glitch after editing your character (Fixable by swapping outfits), and symbol projection still doesn't work as well as it does in Live, but it all technically works.
    20201026012258_1.jpg20201026012535_1_2.jpg

7. Characters are a lot easier to get "right" in the Beta. In Live, it feels extremely challenging to make a natural-looking, cute character that turns out good in the game world aswell. Not only are some facial modifiers missing (e.g. cheekbones), but small details (e.g. lip color) show up far too strong in a lot of lighting situations, leading to unintended ugliness unless you're actively facing ambient lights. This was not a problem at all in the Beta to me, and getting my character to look the way I wanted it to was a breeze compared to unsuccessful weeks of trial an error in Live.
    20201026220038_1.jpg20201026013144_1.jpg
    20201026220230_1.jpgcattoneutral2crop.png

8. I had a weird inventory glitch which gave me 18 regular, functioning 0-slot OCA's (among other guns); and the "Basics" tutorial is broken, letting you redeem permanent weapons multiple times.
    unknown.png

9. Female characters still use male character animations for idling (among other things) despite dedicated female animations being present in the game files, those being notably displayed while walking, and in the character info window. The current female idle animation makes characters in the world look like they have broader shoulders than what you see inside the editor. You can easily tell it's the male animation by just... standing next to a guy. In the E3 reveal of APB, you can see that female characters have distinctively different idles than males. I've seen a lot of people over the years say that girls in this game look very "masculine", this is the cause.
    Comp-1.gif

10. Tree jumps are now gone in social... Although hiding in bushes is now possible 😄
    catinthebushes.png

I'd personally take a slightly more refined version of this Beta build over Live any day. There are some improvements here that I can now no longer ignore while playing in the Live game. (cough point 7 cough)

Edited by Catgorl
  • Like 1

client crash at start. 

Have no motivation to try to start it because launcher still forcing scan for me.

I got to play for a little and I was mostly on Financial at night. Roughly 1-2hrs spent and I had some strange results.
Specs:
GPU: Geforce RTX 2060
CPU: Core i7 6700K
RAM: DDR4 16GB (single)
I use a 120Hz monitor...
Game was on SSD - For a game like APB, it was surprising that loading screens would take me a while. Maybe the strange feeling comes from the fact that Live may load faster, but I just noticed that loading took longer than expected.

My live FPS is usually -90FPS in bad cases and 120FPS in best cases. Microstutters still present and Live crashes often. 2.1 Beta didn't crash, but the FPS was significantly down and the 'feel' didn't show for anything as it was not stuttery by screen-freezing, but simply because I dipped below 30 FPS.
AVG for live at the first hour of gameplay at Financial was 40FPS with frequent dips below 30FPS.
After a while my FPS started to AVG 60FPS with dipping to 40FPS. It still felt really bad to play regardless of the increase.
I generally checked my task manager on the 2nd monitor and it never really went above 60% CPU usage or even 40% over other usage. I wasn't smart enough to check what cores at what times were used and by how much...

Additional note:
I did mess around with settings and found that normal-max settings barely change the FPS, but the lowest settings make it a little playable with STILL having occasional FPS dips below smooth. This is all by feel and this was the strange part I wanted to mention. The only way I got favourable results in performance was if I were to set my monitor to 60Hz and align settings to get that 60FPS on lower settings. The visuals made it look worse than Live currently, but then the gameplay was somewhat the same as Live.

Because I still had some fun playing. Even with my horrendous gameplay, I was able to enjoy the beta a little bit with the thought - "This is good, but work is needed.... SEVERILY". I have gripes with the visuals being just too punchy where soft lights cast hard shadows and black colours are pure black, which makes fun encounters of staring in to the void, but that's just visual gripes. The visual punch adds a bit of a refreshing feel, but it also exposes how dated the game looks with certain areas being too saturated. Orange clubs on social look funny. In Financial a lot of buildings are the same with the Large objects being really barebone in structure. Small usable items, characters and cars will survive the test of time, but the environment felt  barely detailed and dated, because I was now able to see further and see more. That's just a thought for the future.

Performance wise I understand it's just been an issue with the foundations this game stands on and I understand that the devs understand there is much more work needed in the performance field.

Edited by Pufty
Forgot to mention the strange part

Hope you someday stop just wearing out our discs:

my APB Regular and APB Beta launchers:

76be9a0882b13877b1d1785e96aec183.png

How often have you seen games that force you to scan your disk? At the same time, this procedure is not of any benefit. None at all.