TheMessiah

about the engine latest news..

what is AVX?

what this graphics means?

the game needs AVX?

this things are like in chinese for me so thx in advance if some1 explain and sry for making entire topic about this

AVX is a set of instructions CPUs can use. AVX is not supported on some older CPUs and if it's not, you couldn't play at all.

AVX is not needed for the Live version of the game, and it also won't be for the beta. The graphic just shows having AVX or not enabled

in the game code didn't have an impact on performance, so they could just remove it and have the maximum amount of people able to play.

Edited by MarshallRawR
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, MarshallRawR said:

some older CPUs

You undersell it. AVX has been supported by basically every CPU made in the past 10+ years.

Dropping AVX support just to cater to a tiny minority of people that adamantly refuse to upgrade their beyond ancient hardware (and rabidly demand developers still cater to them) is a terrible plan, and will hurt the game going forward. It's a shame that MattScott somehow doesn't realize this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

You undersell it. AVX has been supported by basically every CPU made in the past 10+ years.

Dropping AVX support just to cater to a tiny minority of people that adamantly refuse to upgrade their beyond ancient hardware (and rabidly demand developers still cater to them) is a terrible plan, and will hurt the game going forward. It's a shame that MattScott somehow doesn't realize this.

i agree with your concept, but would how would this impact say, the BR or RU playerbase? i know brazil specifically has high taxes on electronic hardware, and a lot of the playerbase already and always has been playing on quite frankly embarrassingly out of date machines, but they do it none the less

I am just worried about hurting the population in order to make a decade old game look and run like a 6 year old game instead

36 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/linus-torvalds-wishes-intel-avx-512-a-painful-death avx is for very specific case loads and its already been proven with the benchmarks that it doesn't make a significant difference. 

Edited by MonkaS
  • Like 2

Cant you just google that?? 
I cant dislike again

7 hours ago, MarshallRawR said:

AVX is a set of instructions CPUs can use. AVX is not supported on some older CPUs and if it's not, you couldn't play at all.

AVX is not needed for the Live version of the game, and it also won't be for the beta. The graphic just shows having AVX or not enabled

in the game code didn't have an impact on performance, so they could just remove it and have the maximum amount of people able to play.

First version of AVX was included on both AMD and Intel chips in 2011.

AVX-2 is still used in AMD Ryzen 5000 (as of their specifications they stated) and Intel's latest chips.

However as

6 hours ago, MonkaS said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/linus-torvalds-wishes-intel-avx-512-a-painful-death avx is for very specific case loads and its already been proven with the benchmarks that it doesn't make a significant difference. 

has said, AVX-512 is slated to be removed from Intel and AMD chips in 2020 and going forward.

Granted, it's a marginal improvement, which depending on the time for code and shareholders in the development of the engine upgrade, it's likely not really necessary to include it.

16 hours ago, MonkaS said:

100% correct.

17 hours ago, Hexerin said:

I understand your statement but as the others have also stated, AVX is going away as it's not a meaningful increase in performance and only increase complexity of workload which might lead to more instability.

17 hours ago, MarshallRawR said:

Which is a good trade off if you ask me, the more people we can get in to play the better.

• Like 1

AVX is in i5 series?cause mine is i5 and im not buyn i7(360euro)just for apb.Im playn only low spec games anyway.They will remove AVX so doesnt matter really i guess..

p.s. latest engine update postpone the new beta with 1 week i guess..kinda 😪

Edited by TheMessiah

I have an i3.

And hardly i will update my pc again just for apb.

I guess 100% of my pc parts are here for apb 💜💓

Sorry if this sounds rude. Saying you have an i3, i5, i7, etc, does not provide much info about your CPU. You should state the whole model for clarity. An i3 could be any i3 from the last 12 years. There's a huge performance difference between them. For example, an i3-530 will barely run APB, while an i3-9350K will run APB over 100fps.

I'm glad they're moving forward and removing the AVX requirement. While my X5690 is old, it still manages to hit the 145fps limit when overclocked, and rarely dips below 100fps at stock speed. I'm looking forward to testing the new engine.

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2020 at 6:56 PM, Hexerin said:

10+...more like exactly 9 because it came out with 2nd gen Intel in 2011.

There are not many games that use AVX, and ones that those let you toggle.

So yes, turning down AVX was the better choice, pretty sure Matt Scott can see what hardware most people have.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think that 67 FPS on average on high end PC is is going to be wonderful experience.

Edited by Resine