Catgorl

Ever noticed car sounds aren't accurate?

It's a very minor observation, but one to be made nonetheless. Engine, turbo, dump valve sounds are just fine. But ingame, transmission whine is directly linked to the engine's RPM. In real life, it increases in pitch according to overall speed, not instant engine speed. At the moment, transmission sounds sound just like a supercharger.

I'll illustrate my point :

This is someone's Bishada running around Waterfront. You'll hear a supercharger-like whine whenever the car accelerates. That's the ingame transmission whine.

Now here's a BMW M3 GTR doing a lap of the Nurburgring. You can hear a clear whine ramp up as he picks up speed. This is real transmission whine.

An example of how it should sound ingame can be heard with Most Wanted's BMW M3 GTR. You can hear the difference with APB very clearly.

I think my Bishada would sound a lot cooler if it sounded like it got progressively more high-pitched the faster it went, like straight-cut transmissions would in real life.

Thoughts?

Edited by Catgorl
  • Like 5

LO todo list:

engine upgrade

merging world servers

improved tutorial

map balancing

weapon balancing

vehicle balancing

new content

new task:

make engine vroom more realistic

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, claude said:

new task:

Naturally, this single detail makes the ENTIRE GAME UNPLAYABLE. I DEMAND FIXES.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, claude said:

LO todo list:

engine upgrade

merging world servers

improved tutorial

map balancing

weapon balancing

vehicle balancing

new content

new task:

Spit my coffee out reading this. 

Lmfao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, claude said:

LO todo list:

engine upgrade

merging world servers

improved tutorial

map balancing

weapon balancing

vehicle balancing

new content

new task:

LO todo list:

shutdown APB and work on it like they are doing with Fallen Earth.

--

I simply would love that, instead of making chaos around, breaking things or rushing a patch because players cry or because the patch they did broke something.

11 minutes ago, AlishaAzure said:

shutdown APB and work on it like they are doing with Fallen Earth.

Just stop playing and pretend it shut down.

ez fix

Also please stop using the forums. (that ones for me tho)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Another ridiculous detail about cars in APB is the top speed. According to APB Database, the absolute maximum speed of a Bishada Rapier is 23 m/s. That translates to a whopping 82.8 km/h.

I know there are game engine and server related restrictions which cause this, but it's still amusing to me.

I remember reaching 400 km/h in Need For Speed Underground 2, a game released in 2004. Cars in earlier NFS titles weren't much slower either, to my understanding.

What, I totally love hearing my car in last gear at high RPM as if it's pushing its limits at 45mph

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:

Just stop playing and pretend it shut down.

ez fix

Also please stop using the forums. (that ones for me tho)

Who is playing it? Not me, Sir.

As for the other thing i do have no problems, forum isn't a welcome and safe place to stay and enjoy.

1 hour ago, M72_LAW said:

Another ridiculous detail about cars in APB is the top speed. According to APB Database, the absolute maximum speed of a Bishada Rapier is 23 m/s. That translates to a whopping 82.8 km/h.

I know there are game engine and server related restrictions which cause this, but it's still amusing to me.

I remember reaching 400 km/h in Need For Speed Underground 2, a game released in 2004. Cars in earlier NFS titles weren't much slower either, to my understanding.

your telling me a sports car is going like 51 mph? what is this 1956? 

are you sure the sounds arnt linked to the engine / transmission, as i remember a few times that it felt like my jericho was stuck in 2nd gear as the car wasnt getting faster as per the sound and the way it looked / felt, i had to get out and in again for it to correct itself

and no, the car wasnt damaged (yes, damaged cars do go slower)

2 hours ago, M72_LAW said:

Aside from I'm 90% sure that TechMech said many years ago that increasing the vehicle speed much beyond what it is now caused stability problems with the game, think of game balance: Imagine 2 members of each team wipe as the objective moves. The attacking team respawns within jogging distance of car spawner, spawn their Koenigsegg replica and take off across the map at 400 km/h, whilst the other team spawn on an empty street and have to run 100m to find a Packer Ceresco.

Vehicles are probably one of the things functioning best for their role in APB (albeit there are balance issues between them). If anyone wants Need for Speed car sounds and Need for Speed car physics, might I suggest you play Need for Speed? Just an idea.

(Although recent NFS titles have physics that make APB's cars look like rFactor.)

Also OP, the GTR is an actual racing car, with only 10 watered-down road going versions made for homologation. The Bishada looks like it's meant to be something like a Porsche or Japanese make sportscar (NSX / 370Z) designed for daily road use. You wouldn't hear anything like the transmission whine from a car like that than you would in the GTR.

Edited by MrChan

2 hours ago, MrChan said:

Aside from I'm 90% sure that TechMech said many years ago that increasing the vehicle speed much beyond what it is now caused stability problems with the game, think of game balance: Imagine 2 members of each team wipe as the objective moves. The attacking team respawns within jogging distance of car spawner, spawn their Koenigsegg replica and take off across the map at 400 km/h, whilst the other team spawn on an empty street and have to run 100m to find a Packer Ceresco.

Vehicles are probably one of the things functioning best for their role in APB (albeit there are balance issues between them). If anyone wants Need for Speed car sounds and Need for Speed car physics, might I suggest you play Need for Speed? Just an idea.

(Although recent NFS titles have physics that make APB's cars look like rFactor.)

Also OP, the GTR is an actual racing car, with only 10 watered-down road going versions made for homologation. The Bishada looks like it's meant to be something like a Porsche or Japanese make sportscar (NSX / 370Z) designed for daily road use. You wouldn't hear anything like the transmission whine from a car like that than you would in the GTR.

You’re missing the point. I’m literally just saying that transmission whine, which already exists in the game, is a sound that should be linked to final drive speed and not to engine RPM. That’s where my argument ends. This whine comes from straight cut gears, straight cut gears are available to car modders IRL. You can find tuner cars who make this sound. It wouldn’t be insane to say that a FICTIONAL car might have a tuner scene with such available parts for it.

We can compare Bishadas to M3’s all you want, it was just a good example for what transmission whine is. Seriously, is ANYBODY on earth comparing fictional Bishadas to actual M3 GTR’s? You’ll also want to remove half of all car sounds from the game, and outright remove all transmission sounds if we can’t have sounds from parts you wouldn’t find on the real life inspirations of ingame cars. You think the Mustang comes with factory military-grade bullbars? This isn’t about realism, it’s about making the ranges of sounds that our cars make more interesting, using real life as an example for what would sound better.

You’d also be able to tell how fast a car is going just from the sound of it. Again, minor, but would be nice.

Can they make APB car handling similar to something BLACKBOX made? (nfs underground, most wanted, or carbon, the run)

for now they'll do, but man 50mph as a top speed doesn't feel very good
if they were to fix anything

make all the cars have better top speeds and remove that stupid instant acceleration to top speed crap.

• Like 1

I've never used transmission sounds in APB, just adds an annoying permanent whine to any car.

Would like to see this get fixed eventually but APBs cars don't reach the required speed anyway lol.

On 9/29/2020 at 5:38 PM, MrChan said:

I actually recommend Forza Horizon 3 & 4 if you want open world racing. Forza Motorsport 7 for track based racing.

For you PS4 gamers: Gran Turismo Sport is fantastic track based racing. If you still prefer Need For Speed, NFS Heat has been a good ip to the series.

• Like 1