How long will it takes? $iTimer("Engine Upgrade")  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How long will it takes? $iTimer("Engine Upgrade")

• Next Seconds
    • Next Minutes
    • Next Day
    • Next Month
    • Next Year
    • Never

1 hour ago, PepeHands said:

I always wondered why can't they just port the maps, create new customization system and for everything else use what UE 4 has to offer. We would lose our customizations but no pain no gain.

I think it has to do with file types. Ill use skyrim as an example since ive become quite good at modding it. Both skyrim, fallout, and skyrim se use .nif files these are object files (meshes) so you would think you could just drag and Drop nifs between games since all 3 use nif files. But even though they are nif. They all aren't created equal. So Skyrim to Skyrim SE simply require the nif to be optimized for se but might still work. But skyrim to fallout might be a bigger pain to try and do.

so i bet the jump from 3 to 3.5 is the easiest. Plus 3.5 was already started. I bet you a million bucks, LO wouldn't have bought reloaded productions/gamersfirst/apb if the engine upgrade wasn't already in progress.

p.s. i think anyone could half patootie take apb and put it into unreal 5 but it just wouldn’t look good or run good.

Edited by R3ACT3M

9 hours ago, R3ACT3M said:

I think it has to do with file types. Ill use skyrim as an example since ive become quite good at modding it. Both skyrim, fallout, and skyrim se use .nif files these are object files (meshes) so you would think you could just drag and Drop nifs between games since all 3 use nif files. But even though they are nif. They all aren't created equal. So Skyrim to Skyrim SE simply require the nif to be optimized for se but might still work. But skyrim to fallout might be a bigger pain to try and do.

so i bet the jump from 3 to 3.5 is the easiest. Plus 3.5 was already started. I bet you a million bucks, LO wouldn't have bought reloaded productions/gamersfirst/apb if the engine upgrade wasn't already in progress.

p.s. i think anyone could half patootie take apb and put it into unreal 5 but it just wouldn’t look good or run good.

That might be the point but I think that G1 still had original .max files from RTW

2 hours ago, PepeHands said:

That might be the point but I think that G1 still had original .max files from RTW

Well then im sure LO would have access to them too.

Still, converting the assets to also look nice in a newer engine can be time consuming and problematic.

Plus, maybe another thing to keep in mind. LO and im sure majority of the community know that APB might as well be duct tape/bandaided together

On the surface it might look nice but a lot of the stuff under the hood is a mess. 

So maybe something that looks fine in unreal 3 is completely broken in 3.5

If LO wanted to they probably would just release the engine but, they know that if they did it would be a disaster.

I mean, people who played the 3.5 beta A BETA complained so much, which (if they read the tracking the engine thread) the LUT system was broke causing the undesirable appearance of the game + LO was testing for the first time how the engine would handle all the people at once. So I bet next test it will run better and/or they will have more data for optimizing.

Next thing people complained about was performance (which LO has been working on for what seems forever now and seem to be making progress) a lot of stutter issues started to dissipate later in the testing

I played as long as I could until they kicked me out, and I think the first hour was the worst then everything started to iron out once people stopped logging in for the first time.

All we can do is wait, APB is free after all   you don't HAVE to buy anything to play.

I think the last news about the engine are pretty good.If next week they resolve the last big problem with the Meshes-maybe they will give us date for open beta on the big maps 😯 I mean it sounds kinda hastily but the CEO post it after all.I prefer we have first like the last QnA with SPCT/streamers(april QnA)and then this open beta for everybody.Anyway im happy with how things are going.. 🙂

Edited by TheMessiah
  • Like 1