SmilyFace

Merged thread - Removal of several reactions

1 hour ago, TheJellyGoo said:

Yes, that's what I denounced the change for since you could move on by leaving a "dislike" without having to engage into a pointless discussion.

There is to differentiate between a discussion of value where it is a matter of opinion (both parties have a valid perspective) and then the "discussion" where one party is simply wrong. 

The latter is the one which got usually shot down by dislikes and perceived as harassment by the creator when they could simply not handle their own ego.

That is not an abuse of the system but just people growing tired talking to a wall.

so this is where we disagree, I dont think you should come to a forum where discussions are meant to be taken place, just to come in and press a button that says "disagree" and then walk out. if someone wanted a yes/no answer, they would just make a poll. if the thing you're disliking is braindead, it shouldn't take long to whip up a reply calling them out. If someone consistently posts braindead garbage and gets flamed for it, or just gets mass-disliked, they're either baiting & it's obvious, or they're so misinformed and closed minded it's not even worth discussing with them in the first place. 

Completely missed the point. I said it doesn't matter how fundamentally correct your reply is and how supportive your arguments are when they are simply being ignored.

I know what you're getting at and and I generally agree with you under the pretext that both parties can hold a discussion while being open to reason.

e.g. how do you handle someone that always thinks they are right?

If someone always thinks they're right, even after proving them wrong completely or they fail to address counterarguments, there's nothing you can really do about it, and I feel as though their ignorance would sorta show how unimportant their input is in the first place if they're unwilling to address counterarguments, no matter how stupid they are. If people choose to be narrow-minded, they will eventually out themselves by their own narrow-mindedness.

Could be that you're right, maybe there won't be a change but I think that individuals that see themselves approved by only receiving "likes" when all the "dislikes" cease tend to escalate things because there was just no one there to put an end to it. I'm closing in on a decade of surfing these forums and there comes a point where I prefer to click that dislike button instead of typing the same thing for the hundredths time, especially when it is towards the same person. Someone who doesn't accept the result from their last discussion which was to their displeasure and then start anew are not interested in a discussion. Do that often enough and the only people left are the ones that agree. Not because they are right but because they won through attrition.

i see your point, but i feel as though these repetitive complaints and bad takes have names attached to them. the same people complaining about (x) have the same people putting them in their place. 

Where did i say ban? Simply revoke the rights. It's pretty easy to tell when someone intentionally goes on a "dislike-spree" in someones past comments.

it would be easy to see if someone is being bombarded by dislikes by a particular user, but how enforceable could a rule like that really be? if someone disagrees with a lot of things you said, they should be allowed to express that they disagree. if they manually go through and reply, you would be able to gauge whether they're disagreeing in bad faith, or if they genuinely just don't agree. you can't really tell what their intentions are when the disagreement is just expressed through a single reaction.

Pretty much full circle, what if you do all that?

You come well prepared, your arguments are sound, your sources are valid and scientifically proven, you disassemble their point and show them their flaws.

But instead of progress they repeat the same thing and you're left running circles. That's not a discussion. So, yes, pretty please, a dislike button so one can see at one glimpse that the
overall opinion is that the idea is rubbish.

It could also be that someone else already shot down the argument with points I agree with. So adding a dislike to the main post to support/oppose ads the same relevant input as repeating the same argument in an extra post below. Remove the dislikes and you have no idea about the actual census until fully dissecting the thread.

I feel like it would ultimately depend on who's running who around circles. if someone regurgitates the same garbage over and over again that has already been dissected and debunked by another person, they're just making an patootie of themselves, and to express that, people could then like the reply of the user who owned the dumb guy. 

dumb guy loses because dumb guy wont address counterarguments and keeps blathering on and on, while counterargument guys win because they get likes on their replies in which they own the dumb guy blathering on and on about something stupid.

5 minutes ago, PoshDoll said:

forums are places where arguments, opinions, ideas or media related to whatever the forum is about are shared. arguments are there so that you can either agree or disagree until an ideal way, path or solution is found. an argument without any disagreement is not an argument but a statement. censoring the negative side of an argument has always meant that things aren't going well. 

the fact that LO has disabled downvoting means the end is officially nigh.

time to stop investing ladies and gentlemen.

LmLuxAY.png

On 9/16/2020 at 8:42 AM, VanilleKeks said:

This is nice and all but why remove the funny reaction too? I had a bunch of funny hahas that are now gone.

pretty much the same here for me.

i want the haha back 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bellenettiel said:

i want the haha back 😞

+1 the last funny thing in this game 😑

Edited by TheMessiah

We locally have this joke for ages that goes like this "you need a trophy for your stupidity" or when someone said "you deserve a trophy" it was in a negative way, so I guess the trophy on here too is the new downvote 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2020 at 9:47 AM, EvaPooh said:

I really appreciate the change to the post reaction options; gets rid of a negative aspect of using the forum that petty people would use a lot for wrong reasons. Was funny to see a bunch of random posts of mine getting dislikes by a super salty boi tho. Hopefully people will start writing out why they disagree now, but I somewhat doubt it.

Either way - good change! +1

Show who left a reaction, Simples.

On 9/17/2020 at 2:32 PM, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Or letting people know that they think wrong and shame them.

Yeah if only the majority of downvoters had more than 50 IQ and THINK on their own...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zolerox said:

Show who left a reaction, Simples.

Oh yes, that won't get toxic fast or anything. People calling eachother out over dumb stuff...

"Simples."

The forum community has become pure trash compared to few years ago. No wonder why they remove the downvotes. 

• Like 2

Too much toxic downvoters, without the courage to post for show their face.

Bye bye useless ☺👍

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Queen of Love said:

Too much toxic downvoters, without the courage to post for show their face.

Bye bye useless ☺👍

Exactly. It isn't LO's way of coddling us and forcing positive-only reactions - it was because the other reactions (everyone does see how they removed more than just the downarrow right?) weren't shown to actually improve interaction and were being used for malice/trolling.

It's the same reason Mute Themes option arrived - something good spoiled by the toxic few.

As long elements in the community are hellbent on spoiling things, we won't be able to have nice things.

APB community is to blame for these changes, no one else.

• Like 3

Yeah... I don't think this was necessarily the play. I'm glad the score was removed ages ago, but I think the other reactions are fairly helpful to gauge ideas. The confused face or even the red dislike reaction wasn't particularly toxic. At all. Where a simple reaction would have previously sufficed, it's possible more people will also feel tempted to now argue with each other -- which I don't think is a bad thing at all. Discussion is great, but things do have a tendency to degrade on online forums. To be fair, I do think the community has come a really long way since LO's takeover (although the population is significantly less). There used to be a lot of *really* nasty, mean, and cruel stuff here. On the other hand, I don't think everything needs to be super sanitized. Everything is a balancing act. Some of those lines are more forgiving than others.  

How are we different from Reddit lets say ? are the moderators here think we are some kind of superiority in the internet that we dont have downvote any longer ? all the big sites have downvote option of some kind and here we have our "superior" APB: Reloaded forum where we cant downvote, downvote is crucial for a healthy forum, people need to know when their stuff is disliked by the community and the forum members.

What do you think, how are we different ?

Would like an "official" answer from the staff here if they have one.

Merged.

And where is the Sad / Confused / Haha reactions, is it a "positivity" month ? and what is the reasoning behind those beside hearing "its their forum and their blah blah blah".
as if something was wrong with those.

Edited by ReaperTheButcher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't necessarily agree with the removal of reactions either but it's their platform, they can do what they want. They can moderate, censor, make changes, whatever they want without any consequence and with all the rights to do so.

EDIT: And the best we can do is complain and whine, with all the rights to do so. Until we no longer have the rights to do so 🙂

Edited by ColorBauss

I am not saying the dislike button need to be brought back as it were before, it needs a few changes to be more effective, maybe seeing who gives the reaction to you beside, having "somebody reacted to a post in a topic", i am just saying you people really should consider bringing it back in some way or another, with changes or no it is up to you.

What do you think people, should it be brought back in any way shape or form ?

Edited by ReaperTheButcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you dislike something, reply to it and say why you dislike it. If you dislike it a lot, call the person who said it a fornicating baboon. There you go, dislike button replaced.

Probably the same reason Instagram and other medias removed their dislike feature, there's not really a point other than being negative; the point is to replace a negative with constructive criticism. Most of the time people will just dislike to dislike and then not explain why they dislike, so in the end it's just someone being "grr this make me mad >:(" You're also taking the stance that you should be allowed to be an pleasant fellow without repercussion which is why they probably removed it in the first place. 😄

1 hour ago, ReaperTheButcher said:

How are we different from Reddit lets say ? are the moderators here think we are some kind of superiority in the internet that we dont have downvote any longer ? all the big sites have downvote option of some kind and here we have our "superior" APB: Reloaded forum where we cant downvote, downvote is crucial for a healthy forum, people need to know when their stuff is disliked by the community and the forum members.

if u dont like something, use ur words to express why u dislike it

if u dislike it for an irrational or illogical reason, u will be cringed at and u prob should clean up ur act or just leave the forums. apb prob has a subreddit, if u wanna flame and disagree with people but not vocally cus u cba to form an argument or u just hate the person posting, go there, prob good for that cus they have a downvote button.

37 minutes ago, ReaperTheButcher said:

What do you think people, should it be brought back in any way shape or form ?

no

Edited by claude

1 hour ago, ReaperTheButcher said:

55 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Cool, another thread about downvotes.
I think this makes 4?

Just make it short...

Add a poll,  let people decide with democracy 🥴

Edited by PingOVER9000
  • Like 1

As there have been a few threads on the removal of some of the reactions on the forums we have decided to merge these threads together, to remove some of the extra clutter brought by many threads in different places..

The posts from @Sakebee with the reasoning behind this change can be found here and here within this very thread.

Happy postings.

~@mayii

remove all the reactions..so people will actually start readin and not hiting the reaction only based on the title

Edited by TheMessiah

12 minutes ago, Amayii said:

As there have been a few threads on the removal of some of the reactions on the forums we have decided to merge these threads together, to remove some of the extra clutter brought by many threads in different places..

The posts from @Sakebee with the reasoning behind this change can be found here and here within this very thread.

Happy postings.

~@mayii

I mean.. technically you changed this by your own without asking the opinions of your community, which is sad.

So it doesn't make any sense honestly.

Why do you need opinions now, isn't it useless anyway because you alredy decided?

Lol

6 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

remove all the reactions..so people will actually start readin and not hiting the reaction only based on the title

+1

If you (LO) need to remove only negative ones, then remove everything and will be better at least.

Like that now seems you only allow positivity, it doesn't work like that in the world.

Peoples can dislike something, and if we can't do this here, then remove all other reactions.

• Like 1

Why did you guys also remove the HAHA and cry emotes as well? Confused and dislike I get, even the crying a bit. But every once and a while you see a funny post. am I supposed to quote and comment:  🤣   now?

• Like 1

reactions should be removed entirely. they serve no real purpose. if people like the content, they can engage by adding a comment. you have to log in anyway.

this was literally said when reactions were added on the old forums and even at the start of the new. there was never any positive either way. @Sakebee

Edited by Captain Teemo
  • Like 3