loldeath

Is an AMD APU GOOD for apb and what fps should i expect ?

Well i am considering a new computer because i have been playing on my laptop for the past year or so ! But i have a really tight budget if i get an APU will it run APB in good frame rates ? Anyone is doing the same ? Thanks in advance 

I would honestly advise against it and refer you to the Intel I-7.

Yes, perhaps the engine could become 64 bit compliant but that is doubtful in the near future. Well building a rig you should never skimp on the processor or power supply, all other components are secondary imo. Except for the mobo, get a good one. I usually stick with asus, asus has a long history as a electronic manufacturer, previously known as aopen, they gobbled up all the crappy manufacturers years ago, including Soul-tek. So I stick with them. ;)

That is a pretty general/broad question.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

So just any AMD? Sure! it will be fine! Also. Nope! It will be garbage!

More info needed basically.

Also you should think of the future and make sure whatever you get will run UR 4 or at least be upgrade-able enough to run it.

Edited by SelttikS

u can get an ok gaming rig for cheap if u google <> gaming computer <> like 300/500 pound..should run apb fine..

this is my computer an its not the best but it runs every game out there fine.. round 60 FPS and it works for me...

https://valid.x86.fr/8lhlmx

Edited by Birmingham

Bare in mind that APB's horribly optimised, so even on beastly systems you're going to experience the odd framedrop/poor performance until the engine update comes through. It won't help loadtimes much either - that's server based.

APUs have specifications, need to supply those before anyone can really advise you on this.

just get one of these with 8 gigs of ram and a $100 gpu then you're set. apb is like knight online in terms of optimization, the older the components are the better it will work. i believe apb only utilizes two cores.

intel-core2-duo-e8400-islemci-6m-onbelle

Edited by PoshDoll

Sorry for not stating which APU i have in mind i have the Ryzen 3 2200G in mind 100 USD and can run pubg at 40 ish FPS on low 1080p 

Should be enough for 1080p 50-60 in a title as old as APB (on paper at least) but you should still expect the occasional stutter or hitch, the game never was a shining jewel of optimization...

Edited by Nite

Just now, Nite said:

Should be enough for 1080p 50-60 in a title as old as APB (on paper at least) but you should still expect the occasional stutter or hitch, the game never was a shining jewel of optimization...

Yeah i would expect that but this will be temporary until i get a decent GPU but the vega 8 integrated graphics should be enough right ?

15 minutes ago, loldeath said:

Yeah i would expect that but this will be temporary until i get a decent GPU but the vega 8 integrated graphics should be enough right ?

With a decent IGP overclock it can do really well in a lot of newer titles from what I've seen

This is all just theorizing though so you gotta just see for yourself

As an APU owner, I can tell you: the Integrated gpu's are horrible

Using A8 6600k with HD 7850 (as the integrated gpu is absolutely horrible), and I can tell you the performance is good enough on my end (60 fps most of the times with drops to 45 when many cars blow up)

AMD did not improve enough the integrated gpu's, they are still slower than Radeon HD 7500+ , so your performance will be not the best (40-50 fps I believe, playable, but not optimal)

Overclocking should be doable easily from BIOS if they kept the same layout as it is on FM2 motherboards, just don't push it too hard

Edited by -Dan-

1 hour ago, PoshDoll said:

just get one of these with 8 gigs of ram and a $100 gpu then you're set. apb is like knight online in terms of optimization, the older the components are the better it will work. i believe apb only utilizes two cores.

I strongly recommend anyone not to get a dual core .... We're in 2018, quadcores are a standard. Also the E8400 is really really bad.

22 minutes ago, -Dan- said:

AMD did not improve enough the integrated gpu's, they are still slower than Radeon HD 7500+ , so your performance will be not the best (40-50 fps I believe, playable, but not optimal)

Wrong. AMD's Ryzen 3 2200G's integrated graphics chip, aka Vega 8 matches and sometimes outperforms a discrete RX 550.

So @loldeath, if you're looking for a system with an APU, just pick a Ryzen 3 2200G (or Ryzen 5 2400G if you want SMT), 8 gigs of 2666 DDR4, a B350 motherboard that will support your APU (most of them do by now), and I'll let you pick the other components.

Edit :  You shouldn't even need a discrete GPU in order to run APB on max settings, but if you really want a discrete GPU, I'd advise you to wait a bit till prices stabilize.

Edited by RubyGee
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RubyGee said:

Wrong. AMD's Ryzen 3 2200G's integrated graphics chip, aka Vega 8 matches and sometimes outperforms a discrete RX 550.

The RX 550 is also slightly worse than the HD 7850, so he would still get a lower performance than me, but with less TDP

1 minute ago, -Dan- said:

The RX 550 is also slightly worse than the HD 7850, so he would still get a lower performance than me, but with less TDP

Not quite, since your 7850 is already bottlenecked by your A8.

I used to have an FX 6300 (4.7 GHz), and a 7870, the game ran around 70-90 fps almost constantly, and given the 50% higher IPC of the 2200G, he can only at worst get pretty much the same framerate.

1 minute ago, RubyGee said:

Not quite, since your 7850 is already bottlenecked by your A8.

I used to have an FX 6300 (4.7 GHz), and a 7870, the game ran around 70-90 fps almost constantly, and given the 50% higher IPC of the 2200G, he can only at worst get pretty much the same framerate.

Oh well, I don't know how CPU-demanding this game is, but I have no stuttering except for initial launch and district loading

Just now, -Dan- said:

Oh well, I don't know how CPU-demanding this game is, but I have no stuttering except for initial launch and district loading

Let's say it's much more CPU than GPU demanding (it's an MMO afterall ^^ )

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, -Dan- said:

Accurate.

The Vega-Architectured IGP on the current gen AMD APUs is -decent-, but lets be real and acknowledge they are just slapping a brand sticker on it to give the technology a refreshed presence vs their Gen 1 APUs (which as Dan has stated, was even more trash than the trash that is "Vega IGP").

I'm usually much more objective about these things- but trust me (and the others telling you), have fun playing Solitaire with an integrated chip.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3-2200g-vega-8-overclocked-1600mhz-performance/

If you really can't afford the alternative, the above will show you how to milk the Vega iGP for it's worth. The only thing that conflicts in that guide when in regards to APB is APB -does- need CPU processor cycles (the higher your single-core "Ghzs" the better) in order to render the software physics at the core of the game (which is what make players lag in smoke/fire).

I actually have a PhysX card in one of my storage bins, but I haven't gotten it to work in ages, and never worked for me in Reloaded. 

Anyway yeah- good luck. With aftermarket cooling you may be able to hold 60fps @1080p with the classic stutter most encounter.

Addendum: If I were in this position- I would probably leave the IGP at stock clock, push the CPU end to its highest stable OC, then if theres any room push the IGP end. It comes down to voltages, cooling, and the production quality of the chip you manage to get

Edited by BuggedOut
Addendum

What turns out to be the best solution most of the time is :  leaving the graphics core at stock speeds, undervolt it, so that you keep more power for overclocking the CPU cores. And if you want a bit more performance, APUs love high RAM frequencies. I wouldn't say Vega 8 is trash though, given the relatively close performance to a 7850 while only having half the cores.

45 minutes ago, RubyGee said:

I strongly recommend anyone not to get a dual core .... We're in 2018, quadcores are a standard. Also the E8400 is really really bad.

uh, you weren't supposed to take that bait

22 minutes ago, RubyGee said:

What turns out to be the best solution most of the time is :  leaving the graphics core at stock speeds, undervolt it, so that you keep more power for overclocking the CPU cores. And if you want a bit more performance, APUs love high RAM frequencies. I wouldn't say Vega 8 is trash though, given the relatively close performance to a 7850 while only having half the cores.

It's trash in comparison to a dedicated CPU and discrete GPU in a majority of situations. He's basically going a step above console; Quasi-PC lol.

You'll benefit from the fastest ram your mobo/APU can support, it gets costly. But hey, you'll have great RAM.

General rule of thumb of APB performance: as much GHz as it can get, the more performance.

AMD APU's are not bad but I don't think they will add a lot of performance. Would rather invest into some sort of cheap AMD processes from the new Ryzen line, and get a similar cheap AMD or cheap based Nvidia card. (Anything beyond 1060 really, 1050 is not worth it)

bro...my i7 7700k struggles to maintain 60fps in the middle of the map - waterfront...do NOT expect anything good, till maybe if the engine upgrade actually come to life.

Edited by Keshi