Weaboos

Engine upgrade performance improvements?

To those who played the engine upgrade beta did you notice any performance improvements?

Since like 2012 G1 did their best to make performance as awful as possible and a lot of people quit as result. In 2013 engine upgrade was promised as a saving grace. Were any of those promised performance fixes felt during the testing?

• Thanks 1

Ever got annoyed by waiting around 2 seconds to wear a SINGLE piece of clothing in your wardrobe?

That's no longer there, swapping clothing is instant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

better hitreg.

worse input lag.

In the beta it was easier to kill guys using assault rifles, snipers, etc (slow movement guns) but was harder to kill enemies with carbine, oca, pmg (faster movement guns), at least in my opinion.

Edited by Uhtdred

yes lots of improvement over live for me

there are still some issues left, but overall i feel pretty hopeful for 2.1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, AlishaHutt said:

I did noticed them, yes. but Lo isn't G1, so.

But they picked up where g1 left so stuff worked on by g1 staff should be there

6 hours ago, LilyRain said:

Ever got annoyed by waiting around 2 seconds to wear a SINGLE piece of clothing in your wardrobe?

That's no longer there, swapping clothing is instant

Small improvement but improvement none the less

4 hours ago, Uhtdred said:

better hitreg.

worse input lag.

In the beta it was easier to kill guys using assault rifles, snipers, etc (slow movement guns) but was harder to kill enemies with carbine, oca, pmg (faster movement guns), at least in my opinion.

That's odd

3 hours ago, 404 said:

yes lots of improvement over live for me

there are still some issues left, but overall i feel pretty hopeful for 2.1

Than there is still hope for this game. Checked /pop of the combined EU server and it was 400-500 in the peak hours, engine upgrade is the last hope this game has.

• Like 1

Performance, aka fps, was 10-15% slower than Live for me, but they're not near done with performance fixes, this most recent beta was a stress test to make sure everything worked with hundreds of players on concurrently, so it's not something to gauge the final product off of.

Fps was my main complaint because getting low fps can make FC engagements feel crappy, but there were improvements; no obnoxious stutters, much faster load times etc

Edited by Acornie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Weaboos said:

Engine upgrade is the last hope this game has.

Agreed. I wasn't able to get in on the beta test which was a huge bummer so I'm going to wait till it goes live and be as patient as possible in the meantime. If the performance doesn't improve in any meaningful way, I'm gonna probably lose all hope and move on. Been playing since rtw so its sad to think I might have to say goodbye to apb.

On 8/15/2020 at 9:16 PM, Acornie said:

Performance, aka fps, was 10-15% slower than Live for me, but they're not near done with performance fixes, this most recent beta was a stress test to make sure everything worked with hundreds of players on concurrently, so it's not something to gauge the final product off of.

Fps was my main complaint because getting low fps can make FC engagements feel crappy, but there were improvements; no obnoxious stutters, much faster load times etc

Fps was even lower? Didn't think that's even possible. That's very worrying and the reason why a lot of people quit APB in the first place as the low fps in engagements often means certain death. Couple that with the ocasional teleports and you've got a recipe for disaster. For the sake of this game I really hope LO devs manage to fix the mess that G1 created...

Merged.

On 8/16/2020 at 4:15 AM, Kylegrey2 said:

Agreed. I wasn't able to get in on the beta test which was a huge bummer so I'm going to wait till it goes live and be as patient as possible in the meantime. If the performance doesn't improve in any meaningful way, I'm gonna probably lose all hope and move on. Been playing since rtw so its sad to think I might have to say goodbye to apb.

That's what I thought initally and the reason I quit APB in late 2013 - early 2014 when I saw it going down the hill with no hopes of recovery. Was planning to return after the promised engine upgrade arrives but it never did. I did log in here and there due to nostalgia and my love for the game but always got reminded fast why I quit and that the game was not the  same as it used to be.

But now after logging in and checking /pop of what used to be two most popular servers now being combined into one I noticed a ~500 player count on peak hours and 100 of those are afk social type. I start thinking it's time I need to accept the state of APB as it is and play a few matches here and there as later on it might be too late no matter how much I wanted to play. I need to accept that it's impossible to play APB competitively and I need to enjoy this laggy mess for what it is and hope that my enemy will lag and teleport more than I do...

If I could go back in time to 2011 when I discovered the game the first thing I'd do is sit down for a good APB session 🙂 Recently stumbled across some messages on my old phone and found conversations dating back to 2014 of one of my friends I played most inviting me to play APB and me declining him multiple times due to laggyness of the game. He quit gaming in 2015 and I will never play APB with him ever again. That fills my heart with sadness. I do plan to sit down and play a few games. I do feel the end time is nigh and all will be left are youtube videos screenshots and memories and that will be even more sad as we only realise the true worth of something only when we lose it.

I do hope LO manages to pull a mirracle and save this game as I have not played anything quite like it.

Edited by Weaboos

34 minutes ago, Weaboos said:

I need to enjoy this laggy mess for what it is and hope that my enemy will lag and teleport more than I do...

Am I the only one who doesn't experience this? If you're noticing massive amounts of teleporting (packet loss) then your connection could be the culprit. I really don't have this problem.

The only issue I have performance-wise was the stutters. Those little micro freezes that lock your game up for a second and get you killed. Rust has had them for ages, but it's slowly getting better. It's why I stopped playing Rust a while ago, this game is no different. I hope they fix it with the EU.

If you put everything on super low it looks almost like the normal APB with similar FPS as the live version with heavy config mods. I do see the protentional but the game also felt more unsmooth then the live version even if you had the same FPS.

20 hours ago, EvaPooh said:

Am I the only one who doesn't experience this? If you're noticing massive amounts of teleporting (packet loss) then your connection could be the culprit. I really don't have this problem.

The only issue I have performance-wise was the stutters. Those little micro freezes that lock your game up for a second and get you killed. Rust has had them for ages, but it's slowly getting better. It's why I stopped playing Rust a while ago, this game is no different. I hope they fix it with the EU.

Naw my connection is fine. It's what you call stutters/freezes or whatever, locks the game up for maybe a second and if before the freeze I was moving I will do a small teleport of a few meters and stop. If I was trying to hide behind cover then I will be moved away from it and get killed. I hear a way to reduce this is to get a ssd and put APB in it.

20 hours ago, Gateron said:

If you put everything on super low it looks almost like the normal APB with similar FPS as the live version with heavy config mods. I do see the protentional but the game also felt more unsmooth then the live version even if you had the same FPS.

That is worrying

Edited by Weaboos

On 8/15/2020 at 1:52 AM, Weaboos said:

Since like 2012 G1 did their best to make performance as awful as possible and a lot of people quit as result. In 2013 engine upgrade was promised as a saving grace. Were any of those promised performance fixes felt during the testing?

Meh, felt like live to me, so the only improvements I saw were in graphical fidelity. I had major FPS drops in the kiosks. 

On 8/15/2020 at 3:52 AM, Weaboos said:

To those who played the engine upgrade beta did you notice any performance improvements?

On the upgraded engine my fps is a little lower but the game feels smoother overall.

3 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

On the upgraded engine my fps is a little lower but the game feels smoother overall.

Plus the Engine was much more stable. But yes about a few percentages lower performance overall compared to last test but that was explained why that was by Matt anyway.

Performance will always be depending on a lot (A LOT) of variables and isn't always comparable to x specs versus y specs.

• Like 1

Oh wow I hope they manage to turn this arround as having even lower fps in unacceptable at this point...

What I've seen so far. Editors are fast loading but people fail to realize not everything is in the shops yet and not much players are on the server as on the live one. When out of editor everything stutters and warp all over the place. No clue where the server is but most people lag. Currently unplayable. Also the game looks even more cartoony and way too dark then already is.

4 hours ago, hm3000 said:

What I've seen so far. Editors are fast loading but people fail to realize not everything is in the shops yet and not much players are on the server as on the live one. When out of editor everything stutters and warp all over the place. No clue where the server is but most people lag. Currently unplayable. Also the game looks even more cartoony and way too dark then already is.

My experience has been very different from this. The only stutters you have are from when players enter the district since they are required to be loaded in. (Live does this as well on a slow phase to not stutter as intense)
Looks or shaders are subjective just like music taste is and depending on how your monitor (or even your eyes) can be different from person to person and from setup to setup.

14 hours ago, KyoukiDotExe said:

My experience has been very different from this. The only stutters you have are from when players enter the district since they are required to be loaded in. (Live does this as well on a slow phase to not stutter as intense)
Looks or shaders are subjective just like music taste is and depending on how your monitor (or even your eyes) can be different from person to person and from setup to setup.

I think you're onto something. Most players already had insta loaded in but the game struggles with it. Makes sense. Maybe a slower loads will fix this. Come to think of it this could be implemented in action districts instead of game stuttering like shit while being around someone. Especially on mission around an enemy. I rather see a floating blob until the game loads fully in then a enemy player that just stutters the shit out of my game rendering me useless during missions, fightclubs, etc.

26 minutes ago, hm3000 said:

I think you're onto something. Most players already had insta loaded in but the game struggles with it. Makes sense. Maybe a slower loads will fix this. Come to think of it this could be implemented in action districts instead of game stuttering like shit while being around someone. Especially on mission around an enemy. I rather see a floating blob until the game loads fully in then a enemy player that just stutters the shit out of my game rendering me useless during missions, fightclubs, etc.

theres already a default player character placeholder thats used until your client loads a persons actual character data, but i have no idea if it actually improves/helps performance

i guess it would be an interesting option if there was some kind of toggle to permanently use the placeholder models and ignore actual character customization, possibly a good solution to allow players to lower graphics without making the game look horrible

On 8/15/2020 at 10:52 AM, Weaboos said:

Depends on your rig. i3 of 3rd generation, 8gb of RAM, 1 GB GPU and HDD means that in district such like Asylum you gonna have 20-25 fps, playable, very uncomfortable though. Still even in damn social I had... 40 fps. In social. And to top it off this 40 fps are unstable, usually were getting their chopiness from time to time and dropped to 1 second freeze, similiar stuff of course happened in Asylum but for some reason more rarely. For comparsion in current live Asylum right now I got 30-35 fps, probably caused because of player customizations, social is at 100 fps.

Now some background tho. so it doesn't look like I'm "yeah it's not better" - first for some reason APB program didn't used full capacity of computers, at least according to task manager - this was pretty much reported by any owner of low setup rigs. We made reports so who knows, maybe in second beta it will be tackled.

And loading times are significantly reduced leading me to believe that it is more of hardware conflict. Reason why I wanted them to put low setup rigs to test beta in past while everyone laughed at me.

So I wouldn't cross out beta just yet. Most players with better rigs had at least okey experince as far as I know. There were bugs, missing features and other problems but that was reason why public beta was there - to find them with player eye.

On 8/20/2020 at 5:42 AM, hm3000 said:

Only a matter of time before that is ironed out as well and it'll be better.

It's a WIP / beta after all.