R3ACT3M

What do you think is killing this game?

What do you think is killing this game the most?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is it?

• Cheaters
    • Threat
    • Weapon balance
    • Map balance
    • Server performance
    • Toxic playerbase
    • Hackusators
    • Game performance
    • Poor Matchmaking
    • Other

should have let us choose multiple options (if that's even possible), but i chose game performance as nothing else really matters if you can't even play the game lol

#justrtxthings

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 404 said:

should have let us choose multiple options (if that's even possible), but i chose game performance as nothing else really matters if you can't even play the game lol

I was going to, but I wanted to see what people think is killing the game the most, and didn't want to see all the answers spammed 

Edited by R3ACT3M

Game and server performance. These shouldn't be separate options. Both have the same effect to the end user.

Edited by SquirrelFace

"game performance" and "poor matcmaking" especially the 2nd.Also the lack of new game content and this 3 things in deadly combo lead to low/decreasing population(not only this factors ofc but thats the main)

p.s. game perf. and server perf. are not the same thing btw

Edited by TheMessiah
  • Like 2

Literally all of that and more. I went with matchmaking because thats the biggest gripe for new players but there is so much more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SquirrelFace said:

Game and server performance. These shouldn't be separate options. Both have the same effect to the end user.

200fps vs 1444ms not the same thing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Poor matchmaking due to toxic playerbase. If good players only team with good players, of course the matchmaking is not going to be good. The downvotes will prove my point.

1 minute ago, Y2Venom said:

Poor matchmaking due to toxic playerbase. If good players only team with good players, of course the matchmaking is not going to be good. The downvotes will prove my point.

grouping with your friends is toxic now?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 404 said:

grouping with your friends is toxic now?

Having friends is toxic as fuck

1 hour ago, Flaws said:

Literally all of that and more.

Agreed 👍

If I have to tell one out of the choice list, I will add " the balance of new contenets" ( I mean New NPC, missions, "story lore" etc)....

Time. This game has been out for over 10 years with only a couple real content patches.

3 hours ago, Y2Venom said:

its not that good players only group with good players.... thats normal. its that it allows groups of good players to match against groups of bad players (aka bad match making)... now if good players only vsed good players and bad players matched bad players without the matchmaking mixing everyone in regardless of skill and/or being grouped then it would be alot less toxic and unplayable.

• Like 1

Time.

It's a miracle that this game is still alive after all this time. Even if everything that people complain about or say is bad about the game was fixed it would still be time for it to die.  Games die as they get older. Comparing APB to other games of the same time/starting population/genre you can see that it's certainly outlived what it was meant to.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit
  • Like 2

I don't see how 'time' is whats killing the game... thats an edgy patootie response if i ever seen one.

counterstrike, wow, minecraft, day-z (lol) all been around as long or longer than apb and still alive

g1 buying it is what killed the game

Edited by Motorola
  • Thanks 2

Poor matchmaking is inevitable in a game like apb where the pool is only 80 players in a given district. If you increase the player limit then the server performance will take a hit and if you decrease the player limit the matchmaking will take a hit.

2 minutes ago, foscor77 said:

Poor matchmaking is inevitable in a game like apb where the pool is only 80 players in a given district. If you increase the player limit then the server performance will take a hit and if you decrease the player limit the matchmaking will take a hit.

Phasing.

4 minutes ago, EvaPooh said:

Phasing.

yep. They should shift the main matchmaking discussion thread to social. 

1 hour ago, Motorola said:

I don't see how 'time' is whats killing the game... thats an edgy patootie response if i ever seen one.

counterstrike, wow, minecraft, day-z (lol) all been around as long or longer than apb and still alive

g1 buying it is what killed the game

All of which started with far higher populations and supported by far larger corporations so they are not good comparisons to APB. You have to make comparisons to games with similar staring pops, genre, company, genre. Then you see that APB has done incredibly well but it's just time.

Perhaps controversial but I think at least this late into APB's life I just don't see the point of threat anymore. A lot of recent FPS games just don't use skilled based matchmaking and I think it's pretty antiquated. APB has a slowly dwindling population and if I'm some new person coming into the game the thing that deters me from the game isn't going to be toxicity or elitism of certain players because those elements exist within any game it's that when I go searching for a game and I don't get matched up with anyone. 

Why would a new person care about a system in a game anyway like threat? People have become fixated on the threat system and any new people that join will fall right into the same trap better to remove it now and reduce the amount of impact it'll have on any new players that'll join due to the Engine Update. Little Orbit should also be looking into elements in the game that might give higher level players an advantage over lower level players, the vehicle changes are a good one, don't remove meaningful progression from the game but don't give cheap power to high level players either. 

At least that's my take on the current state of APB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

All of which started with far higher populations and supported by far larger corporations so they are not good comparisons to APB. You have to make comparisons to games with similar staring pops, genre, company, genre. Then you see that APB has done incredibly well but it's just time.

APB had over 5,000 players on peaks (average over 2,500 concurrent) on release, and that's just the Steam numbers on a game that had its own dedicated client for over a year prior. This game wasn't small, and had every ability to have been successful if K2 Networks (rebranded to Gamersfirst, then to Reloaded) hadn't been a complete dumpsterfire of a company.

9 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

APB had over 5,000 players on peaks (average over 2,500 concurrent) on release, and that's just the Steam numbers on a game that had its own dedicated client for over a year prior. This game wasn't small, and had every ability to have been successful if K2 Networks (rebranded to Gamersfirst, then to Reloaded) hadn't been a complete dumpsterfire of a company.

5000 peak at steam. Lets say we double it for those still on g1 launcher (I know I was at the time). Still only 10k peaks compared to the other games people compare it to which go to hundreds of thousands.

1 hour ago, AgentWatson said:

Perhaps controversial but I think at least this late into APB's life I just don't see the point of threat anymore. A lot of recent FPS games just don't use skilled based matchmaking and I think it's pretty antiquated. APB has a slowly dwindling population and if I'm some new person coming into the game the thing that deters me from the game isn't going to be toxicity or elitism of certain players because those elements exist within any game it's that when I go searching for a game and I don't get matched up with anyone. 

Why would a new person care about a system in a game anyway like threat? People have become fixated on the threat system and any new people that join will fall right into the same trap better to remove it now and reduce the amount of impact it'll have on any new players that'll join due to the Engine Update. Little Orbit should also be looking into elements in the game that might give higher level players an advantage over lower level players, the vehicle changes are a good one, don't remove meaningful progression from the game but don't give cheap power to high level players either. 

At least that's my take on the current state of APB. 

Err. The majority of shooter games today use skill based matchmaking even within their unranked/non-comp modes. It is far from antiquated and needed to produce a game that actually allows players of skill levels to play each other and promote a new player population.

• Thanks 2

I chose other

As max rank, there are no new contacts to work on, or levels to achieve

The next thing would be content. I need a cool story with things to unlock or achieve

Maps never change, rather than make a half baked event, I would just like to see random changes to the map to keep it fresh

Perhaps with each update we move or add a ladder somewhere without saying anything. Maybe add a air conditioner to the side of the building to allow access to a new roof top. Maybe remove a door or fence somewhere. This would change the usual way in which a mission would be ran.  I don't think it would be difficult to do either

Make finishing roles a bit easier. I don't want it to be easy peasy, but I have been playing for over 6 years (casual, no fight club) and have only completed two weapons roles. Maybe consider lowering the total count by one level, this may generate some excitement in trying to finish more roles because they are slightly more attainable

Need to do something to build an economy. Maybe allow us to trade joker tickets, or accept them in auction, make more items auction able (think WOW auction house)

Social District deployables, you can start with existing items, like boom box and that sign that some people got with refer a friend. add more unique ones that would be cool to bring out while in social. Like pets, but static

Shooting range in social, where you can try out any weapon, or a rotating selection of weapons, 

Ok will stop now. 

2 hours ago, Farbon Ciber said:

I chose other

As max rank, there are no new contacts to work on, or levels to achieve

The next thing would be content. I need a cool story with things to unlock or achieve

Maps never change, rather than make a half baked event, I would just like to see random changes to the map to keep it fresh

Perhaps with each update we move or add a ladder somewhere without saying anything. Maybe add a air conditioner to the side of the building to allow access to a new roof top. Maybe remove a door or fence somewhere. This would change the usual way in which a mission would be ran.  I don't think it would be difficult to do either

Make finishing roles a bit easier. I don't want it to be easy peasy, but I have been playing for over 6 years (casual, no fight club) and have only completed two weapons roles. Maybe consider lowering the total count by one level, this may generate some excitement in trying to finish more roles because they are slightly more attainable

Need to do something to build an economy. Maybe allow us to trade joker tickets, or accept them in auction, make more items auction able (think WOW auction house)

Social District deployables, you can start with existing items, like boom box and that sign that some people got with refer a friend. add more unique ones that would be cool to bring out while in social. Like pets, but static

Shooting range in social, where you can try out any weapon, or a rotating selection of weapons, 

Ok will stop now. 

I should have included lack of content, but i figured the new playerbase wouldn't survive to get all the content that is offered

4 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Time.

It's a miracle that this game is still alive after all this time. Even if everything that people complain about or say is bad about the game was fixed it would still be time for it to die.  Games die as they get older. Comparing APB to other games of the same time/starting population/genre you can see that it's certainly outlived what it was meant to.

agree that time does kill games, especially as more newer games come out, however, the one thing that keeps APB going is simply that there is no other game like it, especially with regard to customization