Sign in to follow this  
striker891

"Financial and Waterfront are *mostly* done from an art perspective. We're still adjusting lighting, but we know those districts perform worse due to their size."

Financial and Waterfront are *mostly* done from an art perspective. We're still adjusting lighting, but we know those districts perform worse due to their size.

from the Engine update status Thread by @MattScott . 

Asylum always was the worst performing district of all when players are loaded in (propably because of so many players at one place). Does anyone share that experience? I feel like Financial is the best performing district after all. This would be quite concerning if with the engine update those districts suddenly perform worse then asylum. I was hoping for them to have at least 20% more performance then asylum, otherwise they will be much worse than live...

• Like 3

the fc maps have always had better performance for me (altho asylum seems to load the physical map much slower on startup), i kind of assumed it was because they were smaller and had less players in them than action districts

Asylum also has a lot more work put into it. Ambient noises, scrawling on the walls, blood smeared on the floors, destructibles, etc.

It's smaller than Financial of course, but I feel like it's got more tiny details that make it feel more lived in and authentic which pulls performance down.

On live for me an Asylum with under 10 players per side runs better than action districts, a full Asylum definitely runs worse, I assume it's because of all the players in one area; in action dists they're almost always spread out, and since most of my low fps in 2.1 beta was from players being concentrated in one area, I too would be surprised and worried if action dists ran worse on 2.1.

Either way, I don't really see it as a big deal to worry about yet, since they're still continuing to optimize 2.1's performance

• Like 2

finan/waterf not gonna be finished in next couple of months so i dont see 2.1 final release in 2020-simple..and im not complainin just it is what it is

Edited by TheMessiah

53 minutes ago, EvaPooh said:

Asylum also has a lot more work put into it. Ambient noises, scrawling on the walls, blood smeared on the floors, destructibles, etc.

It's smaller than Financial of course, but I feel like it's got more tiny details that make it feel more lived in and authentic which pulls performance down.

i mean, action districts also have all those things

in my experience, before and after i upgraded my rig, asylum has always had the lowest performance, especially when it's full. second would be the waterfront, then financial and the baylan shipping would have the best performance.

i think we can judge the client performance we'll have in other districts by comparing the improvement they've shown us in asylum.

2 hours ago, 404 said:

i mean, action districts also have all those things

Ya, but they're culled at a distance to a degree. I feel like Asylum is so tight and jam packed that it makes its performance weaker than you'd expect for such a smaller map.

Idk... I always felt like Fin and WF were really bland other than the ambience. A lot of open spaces with not much going on...

I'm probably just spoiled by modern games though that have an attention to detail.

• Like 1

Who cares anymore, the game's dead.

Today I've came back after about a month not playing. There wasn't even one full district for me to play on. On a saturday afternoon... Not to mention that in the 3 missions that I played, two of them were against blatant cheaters because the "new" anticheat is shit and having a GM in game who would actually deal with them in real time would be too much work I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uke said:

Who cares anymore, the game's dead.

Today I've came back after about a month not playing. There wasn't even one full district for me to play on. On a saturday afternoon... Not to mention that in the 3 missions that I played, two of them were against blatant cheaters because the "new" anticheat is shit and having a GM in game who would actually deal with them in real time would be too much work I guess.

Now that's just straight up lying about districts. At NA peak there is two full districts. At EU peak there is 5+ districts.

You're not wrong about the game going to die though. So who cares.

16 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Now that's just straight up lying about districts. At NA peak there is two full districts. At EU peak there is 5+ districts.

When have I said anything about peek? I was talking about my experience.

14 months ago looks pretty good to me..

now how stable will run with players is another story..

Edited by TheMessiah

14 hours ago, Uke said:

When have I said anything about peek? I was talking about my experience.

You did say saturday afternoon, so was an easy assumption for me to assume peak.

Don't remember the years but there were few years when mission districts were unplayable. 15-20 fps with drops to 0 and frame freezes on 3-4 seconds. That was without the missions. While getting into a mission your screen would freeze and that is it. Best case scenario you were kicked out of the server. So the only options were Baylan, that other map with the building under construction from Finacial and Asylum wasn't even there back then was only brought in for Halloween and Winter events. Those two maps were the only place where the games worked alright. Asylum had too many bugs, glitches and you could easilly get stuck in items and clip out of the map resulting in suicide. Still the map perfrmed good if we talk FPS. Since then the Asylum was fixed (minus the remaining getting stuck and glitching out on props etc), Financial fightclub building map was removed (good riddance that map was worse then Asylum), mission districts capped at a lover playerbase and the game runs on better server machines.

What I kept noticing over the years waterfront still have lover FPS, buildings keep dissapearing and reapiring with standing still and a single camera rotation back and forth not talking about driving around. So surely something is messed up here. What I also found out which still to this day isn't fixed and is a big strain on performance. There is this audio bug where you could hear phone conversations from civilian cars and sometimes one car streams probably 5+ conversations at once. Multiply that by 10 cars at least in the area and do the math what impact does solely by that. I suggested ages ago to remove those or fix the bug because back in 2010 version up intil 2012 this wasn't a problem. Only after that this accured and strained performance among other things. Plus like I said the game was on garbage server machines back then which additionally didn't helped anything. I remember years of unplayability and it's a miracle this game survived at all and some users spent big money on it. So to this game survive LO should focus on what worked and what didn't worked. For example bringing the failed recycled riot back from 2011 was a bad idea but no one listened. Riot was released and the rooms were pretty much empty. Few people kept spamming the chat how they are looking for players to play riot to the point the reply simply was for them to move on because no one wants that crap. Instead of optimizing current options until a complete port happens and looking into expolits so as banning them forever, no need to bring more content that will just clog the already messed up performance of the game.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this