R3ACT3M

RNG vs Skill poll, because im bored and like seeing people's reactions.

Require more Skill or more RNG?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. For a game like APB, would it be better to make weapons more skill based? Or increase the RNG.

• Skill, a player should be the reason they win not because of their weapon
    • RNG, ... idk a good reason for this one just comment it if you have one plz c:
  2. 2. Bonus: Since LO added the ability to shoot through player cars that are not in your mission, should they also make them transparent?

• Yes similar to GTA 5 passive mode
    • No it's fine as is
    • Bring back full collisions

Just wanna know pro and new player thoughts, and their reasons. 

I voted skill, but only if macros are disabled efficiently.

• Like 2

Pretty sure youve always been able to shoot through player cars that arent in your mission

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Dezire said:

Pretty sure youve always been able to shoot through player cars that arent in your mission

Ya, afaik it's always been like this.

Feel sorry for new players that don't know this though and get mowed down thinking they're safe.

• Like 1

That is correct @Dezire and is easy to distinguish that by targeting it, however (according to LO support) it is ok for people to use their cars to grief other people's missions.

So I am not sure if turning them transparent is enough. I would vote to make them as ghosts, where they won't be able to interfere at all with people in mission.

They need to make a decision about player vehicles not in your mission, and change the way they work accordingly.

Option one is to make player vehicles fair game regardless of ownership or mission status. They will take shots from players outside their owner's mission, taking the damage and possibly being destroyed. This game's core design is an open and chaotic world, essentially a warzone within a city. Your vehicle being destroyed by random people not in your mission should be expected, not something limited to random occurrences of people driving the grief trucks around. In the instances where this change is used for abuse, it is Little Orbit's responsibility to take action against the abuser accordingly.

Option two is to make all players and vehicles not explicitly inside your mission phase out. Disable their rendering, and disable any collision. This is a garbage option, and definitely not correct.

This current half and half design is just... bad. It needs to be fixed.

• Like 3

A triangle has 3 corners, this triangle's 3rd corner is APB's exaggerated Emphasis on Loadouts

The general attitude towards weapon balance is:

- The gap between weapons should stay as large as it currently is..

- Don't kill my clutch, which I main because of the current-state-of-balance and use to pretend that I have skill.. (a.k.a don't force me to discover the next cheapest-meta to transition into, let me continue to feast on my laziness and low-effort)

While I do agree that weapon types should have some edge over others at certain ranges, this gap is too large to let skill shine.. (RNG obviously adds to this). APB is currently a game of load outs as much as it is of skill and evidently more.

Unless the gaps between weapons is brought closer (something similar to this upcoming maintenance's vehicle changes), you will not see any more emphasis on skill.

• Like 3

why can't it be be both

The game doesn't NEED to have a focus on X type of weapon.

More experienced players will go for skill based weapons, while newer players will tend to get stronger ones that are more RNG heavy.

As for the cars question, i always thought translucent or "ghost" cars should have always been a thing for APB

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saxtus said:

however (according to LO support) it is ok for people to use their cars to grief other people's missions.

That's just not true at all, multiple people have received bans for doing this very thing.

On topic, I wouldn't mind a toggle-able passive mode, so if people really do want the option of being able to pass through players and their vehicles like ghosts, they can have it, I imagine this would be ideal as a streamer.

On the topic of RNG vs Skill I think there should be both, not on every gun, preferably mostly skill but having a few gimmicky guns in there with some RNG would fit the game, I feel.

• Like 1

I've never felt that APB was massively RNG, proper weapon usage tends to negate most "chances" of RNG, as such RNG has always been "user created" imo. Some weapons however do have a bit of RNG, simply because of recoil, such as ALIG or Shaw.

Edited by Noob_Guardian

10 hours ago, Saxtus said:

I voted skill, but only if macros are disabled efficiently.

Wont happen

"LO added the ability to shoot through player cars that are not in your mission, should they also make them transparent?"

WHAT THE FAKKK ?????  nahh .. srsly ? APB doesn't have bigger problems than few cars that you cant shoot true ?

What about walls ?? some are not necessary for my missions .. let ppl.. shoot them true to hit opponents... hell let us drive them true.

tumblr_mcxixw3hWi1rh6vpho1_500.gif200.gif

I don't like this loaded poll.

If two players have the same weapons then yes I want skill to be the deciding factor. And it usually is.

The issue with your poll is that is doesn't take in to account that weapon choice also matters. You have to be playing weapons that help counter your opponent's as well as is best for the section you are playing in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

The issue with your poll is that is doesn't take in to account that weapon choice also matters. You have to be playing weapons that help counter your opponent's as well as is best for the section you are playing in.

i love being countered with pmg's amarite?

Remove all RNG based mechanics from all weapons, make all weapons more accurate across the board. Make it all skill based.

Make players who are not in your mission unable to interact with you. Remove all collisions with players who are not in the mission. I am okay with enabling them out of mission because that doesn't matter.

• Like 3

If a game is nothing but skill , and the learning curve is too high ( such as how apb's already is ), then not only do you not get new players , but you can also lose the ones you do have from too far of a gap.

those gaps can include 15,000 dollar comps for some gaming freaks and most people dont have that. No thank you I dont want it all skill it wouldn't be good for us. ( framerates  matter after all )

23 minutes ago, Flaws said:

Remove all RNG based mechanics from all weapons, make all weapons more accurate across the board. Make it all skill based.

Make players who are not in your mission unable to interact with you. Remove all collisions with players who are not in the mission. I am okay with enabling them out of mission because that doesn't matter.

Fine, then increase min ttk for most weapons to at least 1.0, and weapons with faster TTKs go to .86 or so depending on which weapon.

If we're going to make it skill based, increase ttk so it actually takes "skill" and not some lame quick spray with no recoil or bloom.

Edited by Noob_Guardian
  • Like 2

weird poll, idk anyone who'd want more rng in apb when only a few guns can actually screw you over with "bad rng." also just depends on what you consider bad rng... like a shit bloom pattern while you're spraying a rifle? or just missing PMG shots when your crosshair is literally RIGHT on them? 

also idk why LO would bother with making out-of-mission vehicles transparent when they plan on making missions instanced in the future anyway.

RNG depends on the game. Not going to say the game requires "real life" as a deciding factor, but in games, RNG helps make the game at least more "fair" as it tends to already have people who can understand the RNG chances that aid in helping play. Games like CS:GO that have little to no RNG are hugely skill dependent, but the matchmaking in the game is a lot more open to choose from a wider range of players with as close to similar skill sets. APB has neither, a small pop, and a considerably wider skill set based match making system. (Think the different threats, while we have 10 hidden threats in each level, the game allows what would be a "low" silver to a "high" gold to be paired in a match given the circumstances in a district.)

The non-mission player cars have been able to be shot through for as long as I can remember, so if that was a change then it was made before 2012. Either way, I don't think that it would ideal to mess around with this now as we're going to have phasing with missions in the near future. Though, I personally like how the system is now, I don't want to have to be forced to see cars as a half opacity object. If this is an option sure, but why not just make it so that your vehicle can't give damage to another vehicle if it's not in the mission. Your car would receive damage for attempting to grief someone. It also doesn't seem to hard to code as the game does know what vehicle velocities are, so given the vehicle with the higher velocity you could receive the damage that would've been intended on the "targeted" player.

• Like 2

1. Weapons are skill based. It's your choice if you rely on randomness outside a weapon's intended range. Players who do often lose and blame it on rng, when it was their fault for expecting their shots to hit at max bloom.

2. LO did not make this change. You could shoot through out of mission player vehicles since open beta if my memory is right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SquirrelFace said:

1. Weapons are skill based. It's your choice if you rely on randomness outside a weapon's intended range. Players who do often lose and blame it on rng, when it was their fault for expecting their shots to hit at max bloom.

That's not what players mean when they talk about the amount of RNG in a game.

Let's use the ATAC as an example:
The ATAC has an accuracy of about 16cm at 10m.

This means that at about 42m, even with max accuracy (first shot in marksman mode), the gun begins the rely on RNG to land a shot.
The intended RANGE of the gun is 50m. (57m with IR3)

This is what people are talking about. Starting at 42m, even with pixel perfect tracking, luck starts to decide if you land shots or not.

Its not about firing an OCA full auto at a 100m target. (OCA leans on RNG from 19m on)

Its about luck deciding fights well within the intended range of most weapons.

Edited by CookiePuss
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, SquirrelFace said:

at max bloom.

i dont think anyone is suggesting that players should be able to max rof every gun and still have optimal performance - im pretty sure you know that, so can we maybe skip the part where you pretend thats what "reducing rng" means?

I want to remind you all that this game is in every aspect technically MMO. Hence why it has RNG mechanics and simplifed combat - of course it's made in such way to not be bullshoot as this game still is shooter but also MMO.

For it to be fully skill-based, there would need to be put major changes and all careful to not break already fragile balance of weapons which is clearly put in favour of RNG mechanics.

Not like i'm against skill-based game of course, I often get fucked by RNG myself.

• Like 1