Sign in to follow this  
Araun

Clan system overhaul

Intro

Hello! This time I will talk about clan system, hope you will enjoy/find something interesting in my rumbling.

As it now clan system is too simple and goes around " Create a name, invite someone and thats it ", sounds bland right?

Soo my idea is clans should have " tiers "  and perks. But lets start with " prelude ", as you probably know by now, i have a bit of a " vendetta " against " duplicated " rooms in social and I want to give it more " life " and meaning. Soo lets rework room on left side of social, on the first floor right under " Presitgue " clothing zone. 
It will hold a name of Organization HQ, where you can do every administration aspect of your " clan, guild, organization. Whatever you prefer to call it. ", access guild vendor( will talk about it later ) and see " corner of fame " for high ranked organizations( will talk about it later as well )

You create initial clan by same means as now and it will be tier 0. Basically what we have right now, you create a name and invite people, tier 0 clan will not give anything to you and your members, its basically something like permanent group chat for friends.
 In order to advance it to actual " clan " you need to go in Organization HQ in social and register your clan into organization, unlocking all the systems and progression. Registration fee should cost cash, probably even hefty amount of it ( My idea would be something around 1-5 mill ), since it then will achieve two goals, first being lower amount of cash for players " helps with inflation and by now most of the people have ton of cash " and second limit the amount of " troll " clans. And well extra reason, clans will hold a value now.
So as you register your clan in HQ and it will become tier 1 and progression system will be unlocked, basically clan will have " exp " bar and lets call it something like " Respect/Fame " in other words your clan goes on path to become something as big as NPC factions like Praetorians, Prentiss Tigers, Blood Roses, G-Kings.

Progression in tiers

You will earn " respect " when you members play game normally, meaning after each mission clan will get small portion of exp. Meaning that in order to progress your clan you need active members and not having your clan just as " place holder " for secondary characters.
In order to avoid high skill clans to " farm " clan exp with easy wins on low skilled enemies, we can also implement a system where if its clan team of gold they will receive clan exp on 100% on gold district, 50% on silver district and 0 on bronze district. So basically if you detreat and get access to bronze you will be getting less and less if not zero clan exp.
Also tiers after tier 1 will have benefits of their own. As I really don`t want any " combat " related ones, since it will create actual unbalance between being in top and low tier clans, we should avoid stuff like that. 
In my opinion benefits such as increased exp-cash if played as a clan, discounts, unique items in clan vendor( will talk about it later ), titles and other stuff that doesn't affect balance.

Example:
Tier 1 - Title, unique armband( With flat side, so clan logo could be placed perfectly ), clan theme( Will discuss this later ).
Tier 2 - Increasing standing reward for each clan member in group by 1%
Tier 3 - Increasing cash reward for each clan member in group by 1%
Tier 4 - Access to clan vault
Tier 5 - Access to clan vendor
Tier 6 - Discount 5% in vendors
Tier 7 - Increasing standing reward for each clan member in group by 2%
Tier 8 - Increasing cash reward for each clan member in group by 2%
Tier 9 - Access to clan vendor tier 2 items
Tier 10 - Discount 10% in vendors
And so on.
Well I guess, you get an idea what I mean. ( Actual benefits should be discussed with balancing team i think. I just gave an example on what I meant )

Roles and Hierarchy 

A simple leader, officer and member is rather limited, since mostly clan have a lot more then that. They should be expanded and customized by leader/second in command/officers.
Example:
Leader
Sub-Leader
Captain
Lieutenant
Rookie
Where leader decides what each role can do and what cannot. Basically when you open role management tab in clan window, you as a leader can check and uncheck limits of each role rights. Such as access to clan vault, who can invite, who can manage roles below them, who can kick and etc.
For full customization may even let leader to create and name roles.

Clan Vendor and Vault

Lets start with a clan vault.
As I briefly mentioned in " Bank of San Paro " vault would be able to hold any " tradable " item, where leaders can set what role can deposit/take items from it, same as how many items per day.  If clan has symbols, outfits, it can be put there instead of constantly duplicating hassle for clan designer and less struggle for members to " hunt " down clan designer if they need something.
Also as members " contribute " to leveling and other clan activities( this will be talked about later ) they will accumulate " points ", think about it as DKP system. 
Example what you can do with points - leader puts legendary gun from his inventory into clan vault and sets its price in points, so members can see it and have a extra motivation to be active and useful to a clan. ( Also helps to track active players ).
Well, nothing that else can be said about vault, since its just a bank after all.

Now lets talk about clan vendor.

Vendor will set unique themed items, such as weapon reskins, skins, clothing, unique car versions( preset car with unique visual mods or maybe even unique inner mods, like change honk to clan theme and etc ) and consumables( So we can finely move them out of random reward for missions, haha? ) available only through this vendor. In my opinion this  will give extra motivation for people to socialize by joining in active clans.
Also for the sake of balance, all items in this vendor could be " time " based, so we would not have people who joined an active clan, bough stuff and left.

Ranked System

Naturally comes that if when clan requires active members, there will be competition involved. So whats is easiest way for non-clan and newbies to find most active clans to join? Simplest would be implement leaderboard.
So it will reflect clan member count, clan tier, their overall member rank( color ).
Probably you have a question right now as " But wait, that`s not enough to determin what place a clan would have " and you would be right. Leaderboard will also take into account  win/lose ration in clan wars.

I know Matt said they currently don`t want to implement new freeroam maps, since player base will be divided even more. And as much as I want new freeroam maps, i have to agree with this. But there still is a way to add something new.
My idea is clan warzone, basically a map of medium size where you don`t fight as enf or crim but represent only your own clan in a "conquest" missions, think about it as castle/territory sieges in PvP based MMORPGS. So your clan will earn rank faster and other rewards( By that i mean after this activity you will be send a box with rewards via mail, something minor but still worthwhile, like joker tickets, cash and etc ) in achieving top places.
This approach open creativity with mission creation, since everyone is an enemy. 
Example would probably like " King of a hill " and etc, hijack convoys and etc. Basically can be used a lot of ideas that were not suited for regular maps. Also this doesn't require big map like financial or waterfront and you can use any map of smaller size that you did not know where to implement ( if rumors that RTW had some prototypes were true that is ) and if you don`t have these, it doesn't need to be a big map either.

But what about not dividing playerbase? Well, trick is..clan warzone will be open only on weekends( Or even once a month ) for clan to fight for leaderboard and fame.

_______________________

Well, I have nothing regarding this topic left in my current state of mind. The only thing I need to point out is next topic/suggestion will be regarding cars and there going to be some money sinks in it, so all cash increases from clan system will balance out. Probably.

hi, quite the long topic XD

i agree the clan system has to change right now it is boring and empty, only reason to join a clan is to have people to play with.

I also agree there should be a clan zone , u say in social.. i say make a whole new district, the Clan district.
this is where u will find your clan vendor, the clan inventory etc.

also i agree with the tier system, wouldnt call it tier thats kinda lame though xD.
there will be various ways in "tiering" up, by having your members do missions (this is the slowest way).
or by participating in clan v clan combat. it would look alot like fight club in my eyes.

and i would add an alliance/war system, u can declare war on clans and for example, make them killable in the mission districts, or get more XP when killing a person of the opposing clan u are at war with. with doing this we have to be carefull not to create too much chaos in the mission districts.

the rank system u propose looks to military to my thoughts, for enforcers this might work, but not for criminal clans, but i agree there should be a hiearchy.

as for the clan vault, having active members should work in benefit of the clan, so say for every completed mission by a member the clan vault recieves say 100 credits maybe a bit more.

there should be a clan ranking system, by doing the clan v clan thingies. being the top clan or top 3 clan should allow the clan to recieve vehicles or permanent weapons, or mods that they can distribute to their members.  also in doing this we should watch out in not making the stronger clans stronger and the weaker clans weaker.

but .... saying all this.

i also think that it is too soon to do this.. yes small changes HAVE to be made to the clan system, just to make it more appealing. because having friends, or a fun clan to come back to is the reason why many players come back to a game, and a good clan base will increase the game's population. but all the rest like the clan district etc is not priority. though it could be things to look forward to

i played a dead game with a daily population of 500 (thats nothing) for 3 more years because the clan i was in was so fun. the clan competitions and such were fun.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dieltdaan said:

hi, quite the long topic XD

i agree the clan system has to change right now it is boring and empty, only reason to join a clan is to have people to play with.

I also agree there should be a clan zone , u say in social.. i say make a whole new district, the Clan district.
this is where u will find your clan vendor, the clan inventory etc.

also i agree with the tier system, wouldnt call it tier thats kinda lame though xD.
there will be various ways in "tiering" up, by having your members do missions (this is the slowest way).
or by participating in clan v clan combat. it would look alot like fight club in my eyes.

and i would add an alliance/war system, u can declare war on clans and for example, make them killable in the mission districts, or get more XP when killing a person of the opposing clan u are at war with. with doing this we have to be carefull not to create too much chaos in the mission districts.

the rank system u propose looks to military to my thoughts, for enforcers this might work, but not for criminal clans, but i agree there should be a hiearchy.

as for the clan vault, having active members should work in benefit of the clan, so say for every completed mission by a member the clan vault recieves say 100 credits maybe a bit more.

there should be a clan ranking system, by doing the clan v clan thingies. being the top clan or top 3 clan should allow the clan to recieve vehicles or permanent weapons, or mods that they can distribute to their members.  also in doing this we should watch out in not making the stronger clans stronger and the weaker clans weaker.

but .... saying all this.

i also think that it is too soon to do this.. yes small changes HAVE to be made to the clan system, just to make it more appealing. because having friends, or a fun clan to come back to is the reason why many players come back to a game, and a good clan base will increase the game's population. but all the rest like the clan district etc is not priority. though it could be things to look forward to

i played a dead game with a daily population of 500 (thats nothing) for 3 more years because the clan i was in was so fun. the clan competitions and such were fun.

Yeah, I guess i made it too long and complicated to understand at first. Haha, welp Im not a writer, just decided someone needs to write it...why not me.
Also yeah, its too early but as Matt said in Q&A they are know clans are too simple and pointless atm. 
Im 100% sure nothing going to be done before 3.5 upgrade and as far as I understood first in line of changes would be matchmaking. I just decided to write this in hopes that maybe something will be interesting for them.
I never intended to be like " Make 100% of what I said, word to word " type. Just flashing out ideas.

About clan " social " zone, as interesting it sounds, it would be extra work. Which could be applied to different areas. Also dunno, current social is just dead. ( Im not talking about amount of people, I mean it was kinda dead even in times of closed beta ). It just feels a bit...empty and duplicated rooms that are 90% of the time empty do not help either. ( I mean we can " clip " in each other characters, so 1 room with stations is enough anyway. Why not use other one for something new? That was my core of idea for " HQ " and other stuff. )

And yeah about hierarchy ranks within clan was to just show an example, i also wrote that clan leader should be able to create and setup roles. ( So for example our own clan has bushido vibe, like modern samurai, soo we would probably name our role something like Shogun, Daimyo, Samurai, Ronin. To " complete " the theme. )

The only thing I do not agree with is allowing kill " enemy " clans in regular districts, I mean " ghosters " are already a problem without solving, if someone could just " ambush " you in middle of a mission..sounds unhealthy to the game.
A reason why i suggested a " weekend " district for clan wars and missions to build up themselves in ranked and earn increased clan exp.

Quick opinion: A clan should not give players within them increases like discounts or additional money over those that are not.

Second opinion: Clan tiers need to scale with player amounts so that zerg clans are not the only option.

Third opinion: Tying anything to threat level promotes dethreating.

1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Quick opinion: A clan should not give players within them increases like discounts or additional money over those that are not.

Second opinion: Clan tiers need to scale with player amounts so that zerg clans are not the only option.

Third opinion: Tying anything to threat level promotes dethreating.

First opinion - Well, thats debatable but also valid point. But as you can remember from early days, when solo players met any premade clan enemies they had a really bad time. So my reasoning for it was to promote joining up clans and socializing for the same solo players, if you have better ideas for rewords, I would gladly have them head as well.
I just think hard work of should be rewarded. And leveling should be rewarded.

Second opinion - Im not sure what did you wrote? Maybe you mean that clan tiers should " Not " scale with player amounts?  Anyway, i never wrote that they should. I wrote that leaderboard will show amount of members in the clan, but it doesnt affect ranking at all. 
For example a clan with 10 super active players will be higher then a clan with 15 mediocre active players. ( Leaderboard just shows information and results. )

Third opinion - I know this thing did not work in past that well, but we are talking about clan exp, not character cash/standing. I really doubt they gonna go for all the hassle to get into bronze to level up their clan only to dethrea again after few missions, its gonna be such a waste of time. Like I said, normal missions in my plan would give SUPER small exp by itself. If you need an example " You finished a mission and got 1000 standing, from that you get 10 exp to your clan. " 
Wasting time for dethreating will take you months to level up, because its not just gonna give you limited amount if you above your district, it will give you ZERO.
But again, this question is also debatable and other people also have valid points and opinions.

TL-DR, I just wanted to explain my reasoning behind things.

21 hours ago, Araun said:

Yeah, I guess i made it too long and complicated to understand at first. Haha, welp Im not a writer, just decided someone needs to write it...why not me.
Also yeah, its too early but as Matt said in Q&A they are know clans are too simple and pointless atm. 
Im 100% sure nothing going to be done before 3.5 upgrade and as far as I understood first in line of changes would be matchmaking. I just decided to write this in hopes that maybe something will be interesting for them.
I never intended to be like " Make 100% of what I said, word to word " type. Just flashing out ideas.

About clan " social " zone, as interesting it sounds, it would be extra work. Which could be applied to different areas. Also dunno, current social is just dead. ( Im not talking about amount of people, I mean it was kinda dead even in times of closed beta ). It just feels a bit...empty and duplicated rooms that are 90% of the time empty do not help either. ( I mean we can " clip " in each other characters, so 1 room with stations is enough anyway. Why not use other one for something new? That was my core of idea for " HQ " and other stuff. )

And yeah about hierarchy ranks within clan was to just show an example, i also wrote that clan leader should be able to create and setup roles. ( So for example our own clan has bushido vibe, like modern samurai, soo we would probably name our role something like Shogun, Daimyo, Samurai, Ronin. To " complete " the theme. )

The only thing I do not agree with is allowing kill " enemy " clans in regular districts, I mean " ghosters " are already a problem without solving, if someone could just " ambush " you in middle of a mission..sounds unhealthy to the game.
A reason why i suggested a " weekend " district for clan wars and missions to build up themselves in ranked and earn increased clan exp.

to come back on the kill eachother in district, i kno its sounds a bit messy, but it is but an idea, doubt it will ever happen due to the fact its to much chaos haha.

And to come back on the social district, in my eyes the current social district has to dissapear. 

its needs to be simpler, a meeting ground for all players, than a corner for clothes, a corner for cars and a corner for whatever else haha.  also a shooting range wouldnt be too bad, where u can trial guns without having to buy them.

on the clan district i mentioned, i wouldnt make it so u could edit alot their, only clan stuff, if u want to edit a car or something else u go to the social. it is not suposed to become the new hangout area haha. 

3 hours ago, Araun said:

For the second point I meant that since leveling up your clan is based on how much people in the clan earn, the clans with more people with far more easily get to the top while the lesser filled clans will struggle. Clans will be promoted to zerg and fill their clans to the max instead of keeping it a tighter knit social community.

For example, division 2 suffers heavily from this with their clan system. It is almost exactly what you proposed. Smaller clans have an almost impossible task of getting to max level even with highly dedicated players while clans that mass invited as many people as they could easily reached the top almost instantly.

Leveling up clan should scale depending on how many players the clan has: 

Level 1 xp would shift between 1000-1000xp depending on if you have 10 people or 100 people.

"change honk to clan theme", although just an example, I both LOVE and HATE this

- I love it because it can add to the atmosphere when playing, sounds like fun with the right people.

- I hate it because the thought of trolls who use constant-beep (ear-r♠pe) themes.. can just honk ear-killing noises both when playing and griefing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dieltdaan said:

to come back on the kill eachother in district, i kno its sounds a bit messy, but it is but an idea, doubt it will ever happen due to the fact its to much chaos haha.

And to come back on the social district, in my eyes the current social district has to dissapear. 

its needs to be simpler, a meeting ground for all players, than a corner for clothes, a corner for cars and a corner for whatever else haha.  also a shooting range wouldnt be too bad, where u can trial guns without having to buy them.

on the clan district i mentioned, i wouldnt make it so u could edit alot their, only clan stuff, if u want to edit a car or something else u go to the social. it is not suposed to become the new hangout area haha. 

It totally would be a mess, dedicated clan warzone map is the safest choice. 

Well, social district is not bad, just needs to be filled more. TBH clan " house " would be what you after. A dedicated place for clans to customize and hang out ( each clan his own house, obviously not " free " and you need to spend cash ) like warframe has clan stations that you create for example.
But again, APB doesnt have crafting soo i have no idea what to put in there, dont want it to be empty, thats why i did not put it into suggestions.

4 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

For the second point I meant that since leveling up your clan is based on how much people in the clan earn, the clans with more people with far more easily get to the top while the lesser filled clans will struggle. Clans will be promoted to zerg and fill their clans to the max instead of keeping it a tighter knit social community.

For example, division 2 suffers heavily from this with their clan system. It is almost exactly what you proposed. Smaller clans have an almost impossible task of getting to max level even with highly dedicated players while clans that mass invited as many people as they could easily reached the top almost instantly.

Leveling up clan should scale depending on how many players the clan has: 

Level 1 xp would shift between 1000-1000xp depending on if you have 10 people or 100 people.

I don`t see a problem with it tbh. 
First of all if a clan has fewer people and wants to level up faster obviously choice is recruit more. The idea of giving stuff to people on silver plate is kinda lame. Second of all I stated in topic that clan tiers should not give any combat advantage what so ever. 
So i do not see why " lower " clans will have a " bad time ".
*shrug*

I mean its obvious  that 30 people will grind something faster then 5 people. ( I mean if all players are active ).  Plus again, regular missions in my idea should give pathetically low amount of exp, its NOT a main source of leveling the clan.
As i stated above the " main " reason is clan warzone, where you can enter( you need to register your team, thought it was obvious enough ) beforehand. 
Like I said think about it in a same way MMORPGs do it with castle sieges. 
You take a group and register, zone is open only on particular days of a week( preferable weekends, so more people would chance to do it ). And it doesnt matter if clan is 10 people, 100 people or 10000 people, you can only register a SINGLE group from a clan. ( Thats why it was under the " Ranked " title )
Thats the main way of getting clan exp, while results depend only on personal skills of group you send.

Its like comparing killing mobs or doing a quest. Trying to level up with grinding mobs for 10 exp each or doing a quest for 1000 exp. Hope now my messed up brain explained it better XD

3 hours ago, LilyRain said:

"change honk to clan theme", although just an example, I both LOVE and HATE this

- I love it because it can add to the atmosphere when playing, sounds like fun with the right people.

- I hate it because the thought of trolls who use constant-beep (ear-r♠pe) themes.. can just honk ear-killing noises both when playing and griefing.

Yeah, humans will be humans. Thats why we cant have good things I guess, XD

Edited by Araun
  • Like 1

I would love an unlocking system for clans. Some free weapons/mods/or skills by being a good clan. Maybe even some stuff to make it easier/cheaper to distribute clan cars/clothes etc.

• Thanks 1