Wafflez

Suggestion: Disable the Ready Button for Gold Players in a Bronze District

34 minutes ago, ScarecrowXIII said:

Wow... might as well throw away threat then. You'll lose cause you're worse right? Threat doesn't matter. A gold-painted silver is CLEARLY not a different skill level than a bronze, the bronze is just bad and needs to git gud, gud enough to stand their own against people with months or years of experience over them.

Sigh.........

The problem with your pathetic attempt at sarcasm is that there are genuine 255 bronze and silver players who are ACTUALLY BRONZE AND LOW SILVER.

Not because they are dethreating, but because they just aren't skilled enough at the game. 

New players don't know what dethreating is. It's the people who've been playing for a good while who are just bad that are blaming people better then (again) THEIR personal skill level as dethreaters.

People forget that if you are 50% or above the whole team/op, your threat goes up. This is why you'll see golds in Bronze. They're good enough to rank up againt lower skilled players, but not good enough to level up against better silvers or actual golds.

Edited by TheAceNinja

11 minutes ago, TheAceNinja said:

The problem with your pathetic attempt at sarcasm is that there are genuine 255 bronze and silver players who are ACTUALLY BRONZE AND LOW SILVER.

Not because they are dethreating, but because they just aren't skilled enough at the game. 

New players don't know what dethreating is. It's the people who've been playing for a good while who are just bad that are blaming people better then (again) THEIR personal skill level as dethreaters.

People forget that if you are 50% or above the whole team/op, your threat goes up. This is why you'll see golds in Bronze. They're good enough to rank up againt lower skilled players, but not good enough to level up against better silvers or actual golds.

I'll retract my statement about months/years of experience, but that's it. A gold still should be facing off against a bronze. Rank hardly matters. Sure, a bronze max rank is weird, but there isn't anything weird about a max rank silver. 

Also, I was under the impression people were complaining about golds, not high ranks in bronze.

P.S. My attempt at sarcasm was fine because you still understood it was sarcasm.

Edited by ScarecrowXIII

11 minutes ago, TheAceNinja said:

People forget that if you are 50% or above the whole team/op, your threat goes up.

Threat determination is far more complex than that.

2 hours ago, xDeVel said:

or just not allow silvers and golds in bronze servers 🙄

Threat segregation caused the issues we have right now, so rather not. To be fair, keeping silver AND golds out might help - or it'd make people dethreat to bronze.

1 minute ago, CookiePuss said:

Threat determination is far more complex than that.

Except that's literally how it works. If you do 50% or more you will still go up. That's why you can LOSE and still jump up threat.

3 minutes ago, ScarecrowXIII said:

I'll retract my statement about months/years of experience, but that's it. A gold still should be facing off against a bronze. Rank hardly matters. Sure, a bronze max rank is weird, but there isn't anything weird about a max rank silver. 

Also, I was under the impression people were complaining about golds, not high ranks in bronze.

P.S. My attempt at sarcasm was fine because you still understood it was 

Just about every complaint I've seen mentions time played or level because of "game knowledge" or mods/weapons.

2 minutes ago, TheAceNinja said:

Except that's literally how it works. If you do 50% or more you will still go up. That's why you can LOSE and still jump up threat.

I swear I should just leave this formula as my signature

As confirmed in a dev blog on the old forums, threat in APB is determined using a Bayesian modified version of this formula known as the Glicko rating system:

9VQQ2RF.png

2 hours ago, RubyGee said:

Isn't that what they did on the consoles ? Never heard anyone complain about it so I guess that could be a good thing in the short run.

While kicking players is a bit rough (even though I agree they have nothing to do there), how about slashing the multiplier ?  Like dividing it by 10 or something (e.g.: Gold enf in bronze would only have a 0.2x multiplier at Prestige 5), that would at least prevent them from grinding their levels in bronze. I think I remember this being something a few years back ....

It wasn't severe enough (they got a negative percentage to their rewards) and didn't stop Role progression.

Rewards mean nothing to a Max rank with millions. They did it to farm newbies for role progression.

Dumb idea. If the matchmaking should work, LO needs to rethink the threatlevel-system in general. Like it's been mentioned before, some are gold, but playing more like a silver guy and some are gold and really, really good. Three threatlevels just mix up too much different skilllevels.

33 minutes ago, Snjezana said:

Dumb idea. If the matchmaking should work, LO needs to rethink the threatlevel-system in general. Like it's been mentioned before, some are gold, but playing more like a silver guy and some are gold and really, really good. Three threatlevels just mix up too much different skilllevels.

Match making works, if threats were in their proper areas. But it pulls from available players, and when the threat level is all over the spectrum, like in Bronze, then match making throws up it's hands, and goes, "I guess!"

1 hour ago, Nymphi-DoubleDee said:

Match making works, if threats were in their proper areas. But it pulls from available players, and when the threat level is all over the spectrum, like in Bronze, then match making throws up it's hands, and goes, "I guess!"

Umm, I wouldn't say it works, cause even when I'm in silver district, I face golds that are way above me in terms of skill, and golds that are on my level. So, even within a single threat, skill is still all over the place.

Just now, Cheeseburger! said:

How are we supposed to play with our green/trainee friends?

Smurf?

1 minute ago, CookiePuss said:

Smurf?

Nah. I've been inviting a few new players to APB. Sucks when they get frustrated in silver and never return.

4 minutes ago, Cheeseburger! said:

How are we supposed to play with our green/trainee friends?

Nothing would change regarding that, if you're gold you already can't join their district but they can join yours.

Just now, Cheeseburger! said:

Nah. I've been inviting a few new players to APB. Sucks when they get frustrated in silver and never return.

Yeah, thats why you create a smurf account and join em in bronze you silly billy.

1 minute ago, Wafflez said:

Nothing would change regarding that, if you're gold you already can't join their district but they can join yours.

Dude, that's terrible for the green/trainee

5 hours ago, LUST said:

Turn every district into open conflict while they gather data to better the system.

Except for the gold district.

Make it the only place where threat can change and since it's the gold server, there's no point in anyone de-threating.

Maybe add a little more incentive like G1C or exclusive items for anyone who's max-threat Gold at an end-of-the-month deadline and (some of) the competitive players may leave OC alone for the current bronze district players.

Good way to test the new anti-cheat system too.

Edited by JiMMY13

3 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

I swear I should just leave this formula as my signature

As confirmed in a dev blog on the old forums, threat in APB is determined using a Bayesian modified version of this formula known as the Glicko rating system:

maybe im wrong but isn't that irrelevant to how apb decides the winner? im pretty sure that the top 50% of the match in score receives the "win" to stop people from being boosted

3 minutes ago, sijws said:

maybe im wrong but isn't that irrelevant to how apb decides the winner? im pretty sure that the top 50% of the match in score receives the "win" to stop people from being boosted

i would assume so, im not good at math so i dont see how score would factor in to the formula unless top 50% got the win

19 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

i would assume so, im not good at math so i dont see how score would factor in to the formula unless top 50% got the win

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system

1 hour ago, ScarecrowXIII said:

Umm, I wouldn't say it works, cause even when I'm in silver district, I face golds that are way above me in terms of skill, and golds that are on my level. So, even within a single threat, skill is still all over the place.

That's because the pool of available players is small.

Cross District Matchmaking would make a huge difference. Then it wouldn't matter where you are.

But that's still a far off option.

5 hours ago, DonBlack said:

sounds good at first but don't complain when you get 6 good enemies while you being alone with some bronzes

Golds and bronze we're always interchangeable, but several bronze to make up for the skill. Thats the whole idea behind threat.

Not to segregate.

45 minutes ago, Isais said:

Golds and bronze we're always interchangeable, but several bronze to make up for the skill. Thats the whole idea behind threat.

Not to segregate.

Yes but open conflict has no matchmaking.

Isn't threat district segregation something G1 invented?

Kicking "golds" from bronze district would be stupid. Plenty of people who are silver, will go gold temporarily from beating bronzes on the regular.

Forcing some hardly above mediocre player to face the people rated the highest, that are good enough to get hackusations on the regular, that's peoples idea of a solution?

The only thing that would achieve is shift which part of the less skilled player base is complaining.

If this was sports, it would be like, the little leaguers complaining the middle schoolers are too tough, and then saying, why don't you make the middle schoolers play the pro teams!

The biggest problem with gold threat in general is its way too broad.

No one ever even talks about green threat, how useless is that? If there was Platinum district, this would be a different conversation, at that point the best players would be stuck in gold or above.

24 minutes ago, Gunsei said:

Isn't threat district segregation something G1 invented?

Kicking "golds" from bronze district would be stupid. Plenty of people who are silver, will go gold temporarily from beating bronzes on the regular.

Forcing some hardly above mediocre player to face the people rated the highest, that are good enough to get hackusations on the regular, that's peoples idea of a solution?

The only thing that would achieve is shift which part of the less skilled player base is complaining.

If this was sports, it would be like, the little leaguers complaining the middle schoolers are too tough, and then saying, why don't you make the middle schoolers play the pro teams!

The biggest problem with gold threat in general is its way too broad.

No one ever even talks about green threat, how useless is that? If there was Platinum district, this would be a different conversation, at that point the best players would be stuck in gold or above.

this brings up a good point imo, in that the threat levels themselves need some major adjustment so that gold is actually an achievement and green is more than a dethreating meme

this would also negate a lot of the threat elitism we see in the community, or at least it would refocus it on different colors

• Like 1