Flight

Discussion: Beta First Impressions

For those that have asked, the Open Beta will run in a completely new environment. So it will be completely optional, and not interrupt APB 1.20 (Live).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, MattScott said:

For those that have asked, the Open Beta will run in a completely new environment. So it will be completely optional, and not interrupt APB 1.20 (Live).

gonna be asylum and social?

edit:

Yes. To start just those two. But the plan is to expand as quickly as possible. One reason for launching sooner, is to free up testers to start hitting the mission districts.

ok thx for the response

Edited by TheMessiah

Launch it! It sounds like it's in a state that people would expect for an open beta test, but I wouldn't go jumping the gun on marketing or anything too crazy yet. Let dedicated players who have spent a 6 year delay waiting for this actually get in there. Their feedback can help shape it so that when there is an actual marketing push, the game is well thought out, and has minimal bugs and issues.

I'd personally be interested in taking a look into how the game performs on my system. I can understand the hesitation from the development team on pushing it out too early to make a bad impression, especially since this has been many years in the making, and the performance gains might not be final. However, the audience of people that will be testing are enthusiastic about the game... enough to where, if those performance / crash / gameplay bugs are all resolved during the testing, they will sing high praises about the current development team. That in itself could push a lot of hype on its own.

Edited by Sophiie

1 minute ago, TheMessiah said:

gonna be asylum and social?

Yes. To start just those two. But the plan is to expand as quickly as possible. One reason for launching sooner, is to free up testers to start hitting the mission districts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

People here demanding it to be released early will only complain when its broken and constantly crashes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MattScott said:

If you're at a point where you need bodies on the build to see how it will break, let's do it and communicate that heavily, along with the known issues. Even put the known issues on the splash screen so nobody can miss it. It sounds like you're happy enough to move forward with the build and not just trying to show progress to calm people down, so no point holding it up for the fullscreen stuff. It is something that you will need to fix for Live, but I suspect the beta will uncover other things that'll take time to fix in parallel with that.

Edited by PeterF

26 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

People here demanding it to be released early will only complain when its broken and constantly crashes.

If they go in with expectations that it will be broken, and are explained when they download it that it will be broken and crash a lot, they can't really say they had different expectations.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

No one will complain because it's gonna be on otw, and will be optional as mattscott just said, if someone is mad that it's buggy then he'd just go play APB LIVE.

(that also is buggy but you got the point)

Edited by Takotak
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

i doubt the beta will be next week.Next week they will fix most of the remaining issues and the beta will be the week after that(i guess)

Knowing how this community and people are in general u should wait, a bugged engine upgrade is only going to cause bad feedback which translate in bad adverstisement

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Flight said:

Boiled down to something a little simpler:
Launch the open beta early with visible issues, or wait longer until those issues have been fixed and then launch the open beta.

Fix crashes, fix desynced doors but than launch as fast as possible!

My 2 Cents

Edited by HighSociety

1 hour ago, RCooper said:

Knowing how this community and people are in general u should wait, a bugged engine upgrade is only going to cause bad feedback which translate in bad adverstisement

Didn't the console version already did that?

• Like 1

I'd have to say then launch it then, if it won't interrupt live, and only effects social and asylum, i see no reason not to test it, even with the few bugs we know about already.

3 hours ago, TheSxW said:

Just Launch it, and fix in the process.

don't rush it . mistakes are inevitable . let the testers run through big problems , we will have an opportunity to evaluate their work . with a large number of players, minor problems will pop up .

While 'first impressions' and getting it right is important, I think the time we've been waiting for this has to be taken into consideration too, even Matt when trying to be careful still said 'weeks not months' during Q&A. Every iota of patience in this community has been depleted waiting for this, while it's not Little Orbit's fault at all, Apb under previous management was told this was going live Q1 2014. It's over 6 years later.

3 hours ago, MattScott said:

[...] One reason for launching sooner, is to free up testers to start hitting the mission districts.

If this is the case I think it trumps the worry about people's impressions, there's no need for people to overly hype it as the redeeming factor for this game, it's only one step of many in trying to salvage this game. I do not agree with the people here saying over and over *This community is so bad, they'll complain, etc etc etc* who cares? The hyperbolic levels of disdain people have for this community should not be a factor in opening the beta or not, it's what will get it done and live most efficiently.

might as well release it as an otw test, we need larger amounts of players to simulate live conditions anyway

• Like 1

just give us the beta already, isnt it 5 years in waiting now?edit: hell its 6 years now wtf?! enough time, wider public testing means a bigger pool of issues found(speeds up fixing stuff in the long run). we dont care if it blows up our computers, some players on apb seem to still run windows xp or something the way they fiddle with configs to make the game play on a steroid induced potato

1 hour ago, Noob_Guardian said:

I'd have to say then launch it then, if it won't interrupt live, and only effects social and asylum, i see no reason not to test it, even with the few bugs we know about already.

it wont affect live in any way, it will be a separate client dedicated to testing. and ill tell you watch the popularity of the testserver spark interest in apb and also move over most of the playerbase of live to OTW, this is what everyone has been waiting for for the last 6 years. 

Edited by spher3

1 hour ago, yood said:

let the testers run through big problems

with a large number of players, minor problems will pop up

This really sums it up.

Not even joking.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Flight said:

• Removal of 1024x768 resolution (UI screens show more information, leading to this resolution being removed)

Fuck me then.

Edited by Hiz
  • Like 3

i would say launch the new engine even with the bugs and that stuff...

but  i want 1024x768 resolution back 🤣 

i want to see if ghostshots were fixed.

Edited by Uhtdred
  • Like 2

Should I ask why people want to run potato resolution?

Edited by MrChan

Launch the open beta early with visible issues, or wait longer until those issues have been fixed and then launch the open beta.

this:

wait longer until those issues have been fixed and then launch the open beta.