Flight

Discussion: Beta First Impressions

Referencing the latest "tracking the engine upgrade" post:

The point of this thread is to discuss issues brought up by Matt related to the launch of the public 2.1 beta.
I will summarize relevant portions of the post, in case you did not read the full thing.

Current testers of the new engine beta expressed the following concerns:

• Input lag from Windowed Fullscreen (Exclusive fullscreen was removed due to lacking DX12 support)
  • Visual and audio bugs
  • Doors getting out of sync with the server and showing open when they are closed or closed when they are open
  • Issues with Field of View and mouse sensitivity in Marksman mode. The more zoom, the more problematic this becomes.
  • Possible bugs in the UI that are slowing down FPS
  • Issue with stutters that was cleared after rebooting
  • Removal of 1024x768 resolution (UI screens show more information, leading to this resolution being removed)

Matt further states:

"My personal feeling is to launch the Beta as soon as the content migration (porting new content from LIVE to the 2.1 beta) and crashes are fixed. Then iterate on Windowed Fullscreen and other bugs.

But I've also been told that the first impression is everything, and to some extent I believe that. But I feel like that would apply more to the APB 2.1 full launch and less to the Beta."

Boiled down to something a little simpler:
Launch the open beta early with visible issues, or wait longer until those issues have been fixed and then launch the open beta.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

PUSH THE BETA OUT FOR CHRIST SAKE BUGS AND ALL!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Flight said:

Current testers of the new engine beta expressed the following concerns:

• Input lag from Windowed Fullscreen (Exclusive fullscreen was removed due to lacking DX12 support)
  • Issues with Field of View and mouse sensitivity in Marksman mode. The more zoom, the more problematic this becomes.

Boiled down to something a little simpler:
Launch the open beta early with visible issues, or wait longer until those issues have been fixed and then launch the open beta.

These are the only bugs that I'd have an issue with.

How bad is the input lag? If minor - Push it out

How fast can this FOV/sensativity be fixed? Push it out if the issue isn't too bad, will be a priority fix, or there are things that can be explained to help negate the issue. Otherwise wait for this to be fixed.

Do these UI bugs effect the whole game's FPS? Or just while using the UI? If the former, if its not severe, push it, if it's just while using the ui, push it out.

Edited by Noob_Guardian
  • Like 2

If there are no constant game crashes you should just give us the new engine, there is really no point in waiting

• Like 7

it has that blue tint when the ingame time changes to night or something, looks silly

and in asylum some of the tiles/textures look out of place

IMO we should try a launch it as it is now. People need something new, even if it's a little buggy, but playable, why not?

5 hours ago, Flight said:

Launch the open beta early with visible issues

Dat but if gonna be only asylum im not interested.Sounds like all this work is only on asylum(specially when i hear this with the bugged door)Like i want to know how close are financial and waterfront to being completed.Like theres 200 more years to wait till final release or what?Just question no irony..

• Like 1

A beta is meant to have some issues, and this community has been hungry for something like this for a while. Hopefully people can identify the difference between their expectations for both beta and full releases.

Seems like everything basic is wrong with the Engine upgrade right now, better release it fully functional and dont disappoint the community with something that is not 100% when we wait for it since q1 2014..

Edited by ReaperTheButcher

This is supposed to launch at OTW first, right? so all those issues should not be a worry since only a margin of interested players will play the beta and will go through the process of downloading it manually etc , meaning they know what they're signing up for, besides, a much bigger issue which cannot be addressed is the fact that most likely the beta will have few players, if they're bothered by something it's most likely that, not the bugs in beta.

So yes, my opinion, release and put a clear message that it's beta and issues found will be fixed.

IMO, releasing it sooner SHOULD be better. I mean, more players can test it so more eyes to identify/report bugs = speed up the bug fixing process, right?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flight said:

Launch the beta. No one cares of the issues, it's what beta is for.

1 minute ago, Chipsuu said:

Launch the beta. No one cares of the issues, it's what beta is for.

no one cares about the issues until it starts to affect gameplay, which it does right now

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swft said:

Just launch it.

You read notes for Tracking the Engine Update? Because I do, bah I follow them. It's not ready and you won't be happy along with others.

Forum must be deleted my comment smh, so I double it:

Release it sooner. Thanks.

9 hours ago, Flight said:
  • Visual and audio bugs
  • Doors getting out of sync with the server and showing open when they are closed or closed when they are open
  • Issue with stutters that was cleared after rebooting
  • Removal of 1024x768 resolution (UI screens show more information, leading to this resolution being removed)

I mean, just release it. It doesn't sound so bad. Just put a giant red disclaimer somewhere in the loading screens stating that it's a beta and issues will be fixed lmao. People will understand.

But on second thought, in bold I marked the issues I consider could bother new players. Especially the visual-audio bugs and the FOV stuff.

Unpopular opinion: UI should be redesigned and modernized anyways 

Edited by _chain

1 hour ago, Mitne said:

You read notes for Tracking the Engine Update? Because I do, bah I follow them. It's not ready and you won't be happy along with others.

I probably know more about it than you and I'm telling you they should still launch the Open Beta anyway.

theres just tooo much stuff in the hud. can u make it more simple. 

and is it true theres no more 1024x768 res? whats the lowest you can go?

Edited by Grimthanez

Imo, push it. The Open Beta is more likely going to unearth new bugs than not anyway, so it's not like we're guaranteed a relatively bug-free experience if you do fix what's there. As long as the game is playable, you might as well deal with them together.

1 hour ago, Mitne said:

Some of us might actually understand what the concept of a Beta test actually is, though.

Edited by MrChan

You should really launch it imo, it'll be launched on otw right ? Then let it be here as long as it takes to fix all the other issues, atleast we finally can test it, and you can put a end on this "waiting phenomon" that everyone make fun of.

Fixing the latest issues with apb 2.1 on otw wouldn't bother anyone, we're all aware that it's not the final product, just let it be.

The hype is already too big since 2014, the longer we wait the more people will expect from this engine upgrade, and also the more people might be disappointed if it happens to be bad.

(Even tho I'm aware all that work isn't necessarily done for the current playerbase but also for the future new comers, but yet we will be the first to test it, and we know more about the game than the future players)

Edited by Takotak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1