supermariobrothe

Questions regarding the engine update and open beta

Hey so i got a bunch of questions, and wanna voice my concerns about things i saw in the engine update streams that really worry me.

First of all, where do i even find the open beta? is it some separate client i need to download somewhere? or is the open beta not actually open ?

Second, the engine upgrade as it looks right now, looks really ugly, missing shaders, harsh shadows, ugly new mismatching textures, no atmospheric fog and ambient world lighting.

The old textures were nothing to write home about either but at least they matched each other aesthetically and combined with the shaders and color fog were what gave the game its visual aesthetic appeal.

The new textures, while they are higher resolution and shiny, look kinda ugly and out of place, like the new floor in the lobby area of asylum looks like something you would see in a baby's first COD4 zombies mod map and the lack of shaders and atmospheric fog just makes the game look like fallen earth.

The only real visual improvement i saw so far is the realistic DOF effect and some lighting in some places as well as the higher texture resolution and materials (that are used to display sub par amateurish looking textures)

Is this not the final look of the game and in the future they will improve the visuals or are we going to be stuck with this new look forever? because this feels like a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

Also will they bring back atmospheric fog and shaders maybe just give an option to turn it off for people with old computers?

1 minute ago, supermariobrothe said:

First of all, where do i even find the open beta? is it some separate client i need to download somewhere? or is the open beta not actually open ?

Not open beta yet, only closed so far. Plenty of announcements will happen all over when it goes public open beta.

1 minute ago, supermariobrothe said:

Second, the engine upgrade as it looks right now, looks really ugly, missing shaders, harsh shadows, ugly new mismatching textures, no atmospheric fog and ambient world lighting.

The old textures were nothing to write home about either but at least they matched each other aesthetically and combined with the shaders and color fog were what gave the game its visual aesthetic appeal.

The new textures, while they are higher resolution and shiny, look kinda ugly and out of place, like the new floor in the lobby area of asylum looks like something you would see in a baby's first COD4 zombies mod map and the lack of shaders and atmospheric fog just makes the game look like fallen earth.

The only real visual improvement i saw so far is the realistic DOF effect and some lighting in some places as well as the higher texture resolution and materials (that are used to display sub par amateurish looking textures)

You are getting a 'look behind the curtain', a sneak peek if you will.

None of what has been shown so far is fully finished or finalized and many more changes will come. 

2 minutes ago, supermariobrothe said:

Is this not the final look of the game and in the future they will improve the visuals or are we going to be stuck with this new look forever? because this feels like a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

Also will they bring back atmospheric fog and shaders maybe just give an option to turn it off for people with old computers?

Gotta wait for the full release to see what you will be able to turn off or change. 

13 minutes ago, supermariobrothe said:

orbit has been pretty clear that they don't really care too much about the graphics at this point, the focus is on getting the performance as good as possible before they start polishing the looks

doesn’t matter what the visuals are like for me, I’ll be playing on minimal anyways 🙂

2 minutes ago, bearden said:

doesn’t matter what the visuals are like for me, I’ll be playing on minimal anyways 🙂

What's the reason behind that?

Just a personal preference of the minimal look/feel or is it more for the perfomance it seems to give you?

5 minutes ago, Kevkof said:

Just a personal preference of the minimal look/feel or is it more for the perfomance it seems to give you?

I've been playing on minimal settings since I started playing the game, so a little bit of both in my opinion

13 hours ago, Kevkof said:

most people play with 144hz monitors, so they use minimal settings to achieve more fps.

there's nothing good about playing with 80fps average and having a 144hz monitor.

also, the higher your fps, the less input lag.

Edited by Uhtdred
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, supermariobrothe said:

First of all, where do i even find the open beta?

Lets hope tonight(my time)we finally get some good news about the open beta.Its about time..and i hope we skip the open beta on asylum/social and jump directly to finan/waterf.LO,SPCT and streamers already tested enough the asylum so no point wasting more time.I guess more testing-better but we are kinda late already.CEO said back in april 17 on Q&A that we are weeks tm from final release and not months tm.Since then pass almost 2 months(9 weeks so far)I dont think players are interested to play asylum on beta.So pls skip some steps about the beta plans you share on last Q&A and give us another Q&A with SPCT/streamers on finan/waterf or open beta for all on finan/waterf.I hope we get some info about things like that in couple of hours..

3 hours ago, Uhtdred said:

u need minimal settings to achieve 144fps

no ?

3 hours ago, Uhtdred said:

most people play with 144hz monitors, so u need minimal settings to achieve 144fps.

What kind of logic is this lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GhosT said:

What kind of logic is this lol

means that if you have a low end pc, you need to play minimal settings in order to achieve more fps??

19 hours ago, supermariobrothe said:

Not open yet

LUT system is still broken if you compare screenshots from the tracking the engine upgrade thread.

Obviously it is a "beta" so nothing is final yet. Right now looks is taking the back seat to functionality. The game performing better is top of the list

7 hours ago, Uhtdred said:

means that if you have a low end pc, you need to play minimal settings in order to achieve more fps??

Low end PC but 144hz screen. Big brain time.

I too put a spoiler on my 80 horse power economy car.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kevkof said:

Not open beta yet, only closed so far. Plenty of announcements will happen all over when it goes public open beta.

You are getting a 'look behind the curtain', a sneak peek if you will.

None of what has been shown so far is fully finished or finalized and many more changes will come. 

Gotta wait for the full release to see what you will be able to turn off or change. 

My reply magically vanished without a message from moderators ...

Anyway, wanted to say thanks for reassurance,  i hope they will bring the game back up to its former visual standard and maybe even surpass it by making use of the new engine's graphical capabilities and hiring professional graphics artists to make new textures

2 hours ago, GhosT said:

Dude.. you can easily get 144fps on valorant and other games with low end PCS, if you don't know about it, stop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GhosT said:

underrated comment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uhtdred said:

Dude.. you can easily get 144fps on valorant and other games with low end PCS, if you don't know about it, stop.

Small pvp games on tiny maps where there's not much to render is quite different to open world games like APB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GhosT said:

Small pvp games on tiny maps where there's not much to render is quite different to open world games like APB.

so? you can't use a 144hz monitor on games like valorant and csgo?

i didn't know, i'll tell my friend to stop using the 144hz monitor he uses for playing valorant.

14 hours ago, Uhtdred said:

Why should u buy a 144hz monitor if u got a low end PC? Whats the logic behind this?

• Like 1

so? you can't use a 144hz monitor on games like valorant and csgo?

i didn't know, i'll tell my friend to stop using the 144hz monitor he uses for playing valorant.

Your logic doesn't even make any sense whatsoever.

Why do you prioritize a 144hz monitor over more important parts like a GPU or something so you don't struggle with decade old games on minimum?

3 hours ago, GhosT said:

Your logic doesn't even make any sense whatsoever.

Why do you prioritize a 144hz monitor over more important parts like a GPU or something so you don't struggle with decade old games on minimum?

i prioritize MORE FPS, that's why i said most people use minimal settings, if you can't read, that's not my fault.

i have a good CPU and a bad gpu and still average like 130fps just because i play minimal settings.

Merged.

4 hours ago, HighSociety said:

Why should u buy a 144hz monitor if u got a low end PC? Whats the logic behind this?

I average like 200-240fps on valorant and 140-170 in apex legends, why would I not buy a 144hz monitor?

anyways, I DO NOT have a 144hz monitor. I'm just saying that i would buy a 144hz monitor even with my PC. Just because i play valorant and apex legends a lot, and those games are better optimized.

also I see streamers with very good cpus and gpus and they average 80-90fps because they play with high graphics, what's the point of having a 144hz monitor if you average only 80-90fps?

Edited by Uhtdred

I average like 200-240fps on valorant and 140-170 in apex legends, why would I not buy a 144hz monitor?

Just one question... what do u think u can get out of this 144+ fps? 

Let me tell u... a normal human eye is cappable of realising 25 fps (real fps) so for ur eye >60 fps in a game doesn't make any difference! Thats simply it...

I also got a 144hz (165hz oc) monitor and yea i know exactly what u are talking about okay.

My concerns is that u just talk about comic games. I mean valorant? Apex? really? I'd understand u talking about bfV or something... but really 80% of PCs out there are cappable to run CSGO with +-300 fps... it just doesnt make u better.

17 minutes ago, HighSociety said:

Let me tell u... a normal human eye is cappable of realising 25 fps (real fps) so for ur eye >60 fps in a game doesn't make any difference! Thats simply it...

i think this is the dumbest thing i've ever read in my entire life

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, heelruby said:

i think this is the dumbest thing i've ever read in my entire life

And why? 

Ur eys cappable of realising 144 frames per second? Than i really want ur eyes...

If u tell me u can SEE a difference betwenn 100 an 200 fps i'd call that bullshoot...

6 hours ago, HighSociety said:

do we play the same game? anything that isnt an i9 is a low end pc in APB's reality... you can have i7-6700 (which runs other triple A games FINE with over 250 fps) and not even get over 100 fps on APB.

i have had a 144hz monitor since 2012 myself... my pc's have never been low end.... but for APB it kinda is. Now upgraded to i9-9900k and im actually able to play APB with capped/locked 144 fps now... something that i wasnt able to prior with previous different i5's and i7's i had.