MonkaS

exclusive full-screen

4 hours ago, AlishaAzure said:

Or is it DX12 now?

Because you alredy stated you will not work (as of now) to support DX12/Vulkan etc.

Or is it that Windows 10 itself removed FSE from DX11 also?

Which i don't think so.

Still unclear for me why you are doing this honestly.

We are still running DX11, and Windows 10 has not removed FSE. We are dropping FSE because it crashes the game. But if we find a way to salvage it, then I have no problem putting it back - for the time being. We are looking at going to DX12 at some point. They improved a lot of the deferred rendering systems that we are using for multithreaded rendering.

4 hours ago, SkittyM said:

My question here though is that, since APB runs on Dx11, Doesn't that post some kind of problem?  Figured a game would need to be on Dx12 to take use of Windows Dx12 features.

DX11 has its own options for supporting Windowed mode. The team is making sure we do this right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for clarifying Matt. I think I see where you're going with this now. I think more than anything what people want is the new engine upgrade because it'll already solve a lot of issues performance-wise. 
If a function that in the near future is gone anyway (DX12) and you're actually planning on eventually moving on then there's no need to dwell on it. We've already established that the input lag will be miniscule, but time will tell. 

Edited by Spherii

yea no thanks dx12 runs worse on some hardware compared to dx11

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, MonkaS said:

yea no thanks dx12 runs worse on some hardware compared to dx11

Yep

• Like 2

Thank you Matt for explaining why the team considers dropping exclusive fullscreen. But i still don't feel like this will pay off in the long run, especially considering we are still going to use DX11.

All i can say is, expect people to force fullscreen one way or another, i know i will be tempted if the option comes by.

• Like 1

As long as it still runs on Windows 7 I'm fine with that. I run APB in border less windowed. It's under 50ms input lag. Don't know what people are doing to cause such high input lag.

Fullscreen optimizations under Windows 10 only causes problems for games, It usually recommended to disable it when troubleshooting performance problems. I doubt this is going to change.

Side thought, the current version is running in DX9 mode. That's probably why the input lag is lower.

Edited by SquirrelFace
  • Like 1