Nance

Hey vets, come share your insight

Hi all,

I'm about a week old in APB. As many of you know yourselves, it's a steep learning curve not helped by the matchmaking system and current state of the community. I routinely run into silver or gold players in Bronze districts advising me to uninstall the game, but I tend to try and engage them in a little chat and they admit some of the problems they experience in higher districts themselves and sometimes even end up sharing some tips. Still, despite the fairly grim state and attitude of much of the community, I'm still enjoying unlocking things and improving my kill scores.

That being said, could any veteran players share some tips or strategies you wish you knew when you first started? Or something you wish new players would know that maybe you take for granted? (e.g. one thing I learned the hard way - by being shot at - is to wait for the opposition to join before completing objectives)

Some things I try to do to improve is check what weapons have killed me and (if I can unlock them) try them out myself to test the limitations and learn what might counter them as well as what types of guns I have affnity for (though with so many out there this is a slow process). Something that is definitely still holding me back is an inferior knowledge of the map and routes, but slowly but surely that's improving. I've got a grip on hitboxes now though due to their size a lot of 'half cover' feels fairly useless. I am continually trying to improve my awareness of my surroundings, but again, it's a slow process. Do you guys have any tips for approaching or improving these skills or knowledge?

Thanks 🙂

Make friends in-game and play with them is the best advice I can give.

It makes playing more enjoyable and they can see you in the field, thus knowing how to advice you.

Avoid to die in any way possible.

Run,Hide and check Always a cover.
If an opponent is too strong, hit and run. Keep it busy until Team do the object.
If you pc is poor performance, donT worry. Just learn that 2 lagging bronze players togheter are better than a super one player.

health is always between 100-130, is not infinite, and every gun could kill 2 players in line with just one mag, just attack in group single opponents.
plus  APB give you the chance to assist the mission also without shoot a single round. (drive,object,carry items)

Apb is not Call of duty (killdiekilldie to infinite) and neither Fortnite (luck100%-90%depends who you meet first)

Is a good game with a singolar community.
for have fun just be more singolar in a good group  😄 
use OCA and Pmg, they are easy to use and with capient magazine.

On 6/3/2020 at 3:08 PM, Nance said:

I'm still enjoying unlocking things and improving my kill scores.

That is actually the mentality to being able to enjoy games like this. Just keep that going, it'll take you a long way.

share some tips or strategies you wish you knew when you first started?

Start learning how to use obstacles to your advantage. Hug walls, peek angles with your camera. Minimize the time your character spends in direct line of sight of your enemy, you'll figure out what i mean after playing a few matches with low range weapons.

If it looks like it can be climbed or stood on, you can probably do it, most of the time. There's plenty of cheesy spots and clip brushes around the map that you can use to surprise your enemy.

If an experienced player looks like he's about to throw something at you while you drive, they will most certainly kill you. Leave the car (launch it at them) and try to shoot them down, a few people might panic when you pull that on them, you never know.

something you wish new players would know that maybe you take for granted?

There's a button that allows switching the way you hold your gun (right or left handed) that changes the camera's POV (right or left shoulder)

Some things I try to do to improve is check what weapons have killed me and (if I can unlock them) try them out myself to test the limitations and learn what might counter them as well as what types of guns I have affnity for

Find a weapon type that you really like and main it. In my case it was shotguns. In your case, you might enjoy ARs, or HVRs, or rifles, or SMGs. My point is, it's way easier to figure one thing out, and when you feel accomplished switch to something else.

3 hours ago, _chain said:

That is actually the mentality to being able to enjoy games like this. Just keep that going, it'll take you a long way.

Start learning how to use obstacles to your advantage. Hug walls, peek angles with your camera. Minimize the time your character spends in direct line of sight of your enemy, you'll figure out what i mean after playing a few matches with low range weapons.

If it looks like it can be climbed or stood on, you can probably do it, most of the time. There's plenty of cheesy spots and clip brushes around the map that you can use to surprise your enemy.

If an experienced player looks like he's about to throw something at you while you drive, they will most certainly kill you. Leave the car (launch it at them) and try to shoot them down, a few people might panic when you pull that on them, you never know.

There's a button that allows switching the way you hold your gun (right or left handed) that changes the camera's POV (right or left shoulder)

Find a weapon type that you really like and main it. In my case it was shotguns. In your case, you might enjoy ARs, or HVRs, or rifles, or SMGs. My point is, it's way easier to figure one thing out, and when you feel accomplished switch to something else.

Thanks chain, that's very helpful! I am slowly getting better.

I think my favourite is when I manage to ambush or surprise an enemy player, sometimes even maxed gold ranks get careless. Most of my deaths happen in direct shoot outs - I always try to review what gun killed me so I know what to particularly avoid confronting. Against some players/guns I seem to have no chance most of the time, but I can still sneak in and finish an objective sometimes when the enemy are distracted by killfarming.

Still learning about my TTK and optimal ranges on different weapons and trying to switch up based on what is needed. I actually started with an HVR because I was dying a lot and range gave me a (false) sense of safety - but I got my first kills in that way. Then I switched to the SHAW and learned it's pretty good against vehicles. Then I went onto the JG cause I saw first hand how much it hurts up close, and I've had some fun with that - especially given how much I like to rush objectives, seemed like having something closer range would be good. Then I started playing with the STAR which I originally hated when I started because I kept reading it's actually a decent gun... and I've had a lot of fun with it and some good kills. I recently unlocked NTEC KasatkaV2 and the mobility sling feels quite a bit different, so I've been using that, as I've been in Waterfront a lot lately and having something that can handle a bit of range also feels helpful on that map.

I'm no expert but those guns are my favourite go-to's so far. Do you guys have any recommendations on what secondaries to pair them with or work towards unlocking?

Also, what do you mean by 'cheesy spots' and 'clip brushes'? Still learning the lingo.

1 hour ago, Grimthanez said:

twitch tv

and search apb reloaded

I honesly don't like watching other people play all that much, but I'm sure it's a good way to learn. I've seen some clips on YT that showed me how people move around the map. Do you guys have any recommended streamers that might be good to watch and learn from?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Nance said:

Do you guys have any recommendations on what secondaries to pair them with or work towards unlocking?

Compliment your ranges. If you carry JG, grab an act44, rfp or rsa. Carrying an HVR? Just use the starter FBW.

4 hours ago, Nance said:

Also, what do you mean by 'cheesy spots' and 'clip brushes'? Still learning the lingo.

A cheesy spot, for example, is located around the money laundry on Waterfront where you can stand up on the ledges of the red part of the roof. You can use that zone to drop capture items out of your enemy's reach.

ADC7AB9082D4A255337D59199A11C5E51E19D214

See the red bit at the top? and that it has two bezels, at the top and the bottom? On the inside of the money laundry area you can climb onto that from the ladder nearby.

Clip brushes are the surfaces in the game which limit the collision with the player. 

When using nades don't big low yeilds or percs. both have a small blast radius aswell as low damage count. often times you will you're awesome rather then your foe. oh and Heavy barrel is mostly just a joke improved rifling is almost always the mod you want to go with, however gun mods depend on your play style and the weapon your using

As you said, the learning curve is steep, so the amount of valid advice you can get is huge, I'll throw in a few and try to keep them short.

Navigation:

- As _chain said,  the ability of "cheesing" obstacles is intentionally built into the map, so when you're good you can hop around for shortcuts or positional advantage, or at least to avoid the disadvantage of for ex jumping a fence with "F"

- Almost always, if you jump a fence / climb a ladder / open a door, with an enemy waiting for you, you'll die, if you suspect they're near, then yes, they're waiting for you.

- When you open doors, you can jump to a side and press F to open it while not static and in the open, there is no disadvantage to this over opening normally.

- Don't go in the open, don't lose cover, the only time you do this is when you KNOW there is no one around because they left / died etc, that must be a main focus.

Fighting:

- I'll go against multiple players with this, but my advice is to use multiple weapons, depending on stage area, switch to a proper weapon, close/mid/long range or anti vehicle.

- Force the enemy to your gun range whenever possible, that's a significant advantage.

- If you feel relatively confident in your accuracy, take a primary for a range and a secondary for the opposite range, FBW + Sniper,  Submachine gun/Shotgun + revolver (Act44 / RSA)

- Unless you're dominating the enemy, car spawners are very useful.

- If you made a fuss, don't expect the enemy to have "forgotten" they'll either be flanking you or waiting for you.

- It's too early for Less Than Lethal weapons, you'll be in a disadvantage if you use them.

- Most of the time, it's better to cook a grenade before you throw it (duh)

- Concussion grenades (green smoke trail) do about 95% damage, and can destroy most regular vehicles with 1 hit.

- Frag grenades (starter, white trail) do about the same damage vs people, but less vs vehicles, their advantage is that they have significantly larger radius of explosion.

Money:

- Yes, ram raiding as crim makes ok money, but it can be stolen by enforcers, it also takes away the fun of playing APB replacing it with a long grind.

- A better alternative to ram raiding, if you have the ability, is to make in game music / symbols & sell them, that's far faster.

- Don't focus on money, focus on missions & playing, money will come.

Get yourself some regular mates to play with, it's more fun, don't bother with the toxicity, /ignore is your friend, you can unignore later.

Welcome to APB, I hope this will make your experience more fun, if you have any sort of questions you can message me in game too (N66, Citadel server)

Edited by N66
  • Like 1