JohnNighthawk

Need a little few tips gitting better.

A few days ago I started to land more shots because I asked some guy that was just absolutely wrecking me for help. I've been practicing the NTEC.

I now shoot inside a weapon's viable range and tapfire, which works wonders for my aim, I flank, not taking the same path as my teammates and I can visibly see some improvement, but there's still a lot of high level players that absolutely destroy me. I've seen people tapfiring the NTEC so fast and accurately, even when you're moving, and I've no idea to achieve that level of skill. I usually play in bronze servers. Sometimes I get ridiculous scores like 18-3 vs some silvers or bronze, other times I get scores like 2-12 against other silvers or golds. It's because of this constant contrast that I feel that I'm not exactly improving or playing versus people my level. Should I keep practicing? Should I wait for LO to "fix" the matchmaking/ranking systems?

I'm not trying to lash out at anything, I just legit want to know how to get better. Thanks in advance for all the tips.

Keep practicing... ALWAYS keep practicing. 

Maybe upload some game footage or do a stream, its kind of difficult to give general tips without. 

6 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Keep practicing... ALWAYS keep practicing. 

Maybe upload some game footage or do a stream, its kind of difficult to give general tips without. 

Sure, that sounds like a good idea. I'll record my gameplay and post a link for you people to review it.

3 minutes ago, JohnNighthawk said:

Sure, that sounds like a good idea. I'll record my gameplay and post a link for you people to review it.

Or if you'd rather you could DM the link to me or anyone else willing to watch it. 

just post it so we can all make fun of you offer you tips together 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Or if you'd rather you could DM the link to me or anyone else willing to watch it. 

Sure, tomorrow I'll do that. Little late today.

4 minutes ago, JohnNighthawk said:

Sure, tomorrow I'll do that. Little late today.

No worries mate. Take your time. 

Someone actually took the time to tell you something? What's this,  a different universe?

But on a more serious note, the best way to become better, with a fixed matchmaking or not, is to keep playing, but with different guns. 

Different loadouts offer different playstyles, which you need to learn. A sniper loadout is usually revolved around getting high ground, keeping distance as much as possible and trying to get the enemy in open areas. 

A close-quarter loadout is revolved around you flanking and getting close to the enemy. 

But overall, it's all about practice. And...asking good players what to do. If there are some willing to teach.

1 hour ago, JohnNighthawk said:

A few days ago I started to land more shots because I asked some guy that was just absolutely wrecking me for help. I've been practicing the NTEC.

I now shoot inside a weapon's viable range and tapfire, which works wonders for my aim, I flank, not taking the same path as my teammates and I can visibly see some improvement, but there's still a lot of high level players that absolutely destroy me. I've seen people tapfiring the NTEC so fast and accurately, even when you're moving, and I've no idea to achieve that level of skill. I usually play in bronze servers. Sometimes I get ridiculous scores like 18-3 vs some silvers or bronze, other times I get scores like 2-12 against other silvers or golds. It's because of this constant contrast that I feel that I'm not exactly improving or playing versus people my level. Should I keep practicing? Should I wait for LO to "fix" the matchmaking/ranking systems?

I'm not trying to lash out at anything, I just legit want to know how to get better. Thanks in advance for all the tips.

Try to understand what you are doing wrong or why you are dying more against ones and less against others, and improve it.

About firing ntec is pure practice. At first is hard to get used to changing its fire rate from tap to burst to full auto, but then you do it subconsciously and you will apply it mostly atumatically depending on the situation.

Allways try to play against better players... if you dont get good oposition, just try to practice aim with the dummys.

EDIT: my first ntec slot was a cj3 (my first free slot on any weapon better said)... maybe you try that. Is harder at first but you will learn quicker to control it.

Edited by LuzExtinguido

When you are versing opposition that is better than you, think of what they are doing and how you can do to improve yourself to achieve that. Watch them (or others like them) stream, analyze their videos, and analyze your own. It's not just about accuracy: Map awareness, positioning, and timing all play crucial roles in helping you overcome situations.

Remember: You know yourself best, don't try to cut corners. If you want to be better, always find opportunities to learn. Knowledge helps you understand skill, Practice will get you skill, challenging yourself will help you exceed beyond skill.

Honestly, this really goes for any PvP game...and comes down to willingness. Some players out there have all the tools, but get to a point where they just become arrogant and ignorant, resulting in skill stagnation.

Edited by LUST
beep boop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Beaurr said:

Someone actually took the time to tell you something? What's this,  a different universe?

I got really mad at this said player because he was making a pancake out of me.

Instead of rage-mail, I asked for advice instead.

8 minutes ago, LUST said:

Watch them (or others like them) stream, analyze their videos, and analyze your own.

Who do you recommend I should watch? Do you know any APB youtubers/streamers I could follow?

4 minutes ago, JohnNighthawk said:

Who do you recommend I should watch? Do you know any APB youtubers/streamers I could follow?

I watch a lot of Reverse, Dogfish, Flaws, Natzuji, Indianola etc

Easiest thing is just to search APB on Twitch and see whomever has the most viewers as its usually a good player. 

41 minutes ago, JohnNighthawk said:

For Streamers:

• There's honestly a lot of good streamers out there and I'd hate to seem like I'm playing favorites and miss out players (anyone who streams/wants to watch APB is keeping hope alive). Best to follow/bookmark this page:  https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/APB Reloaded
  • It doesn't always come down to a popularity contest--some of the "lower viewercount" streamers are actually long-time veterans you can visit and learn a lot from.
  • Some are more geared to being more of a "personality"...Sometimes it's nice to have generally chill players around, keeps the game from being unnecessarily stressful and toxic.
  • Generally: You pretty much can find anyone streaming and learn off their gameplay at your own pace...or just sit back and relax.

For YouTubers:

• There's really only a handful of dedicated/semi-dedicated "gameplay" uploaders and mostly in a montage format. That's where you see the "sick" plays and pretty much have those ideas in the back of your mind, then one day executing the same play without even thinking about it.
  • While I don't mean to play favorites...it's really hard not to recommend Shini, who has a vast library of colorful signature montages--probably the biggest selection out there.
  • You can also find lots of popular and individual classics out there from Dopefish (may have heard of 'Dope Nades') to the mastery choreographed work by fishamajig/ZebraSammich (can never forget)...all the way to my pink crap.
  • Again, lots of good montage work out there (which is the point of montages). Most uploaders are just one-off works instead of "super dedication". These also have an added bonus of seeing what the game was like in the past (good stepping stool to getting into the skill level of today).

Edited by LUST
badda boom
  • Like 2

Taking a bit of what Lust said....  Knowing the map like the back of your hand will give you an advantage/make things easier for you. Memorize every nook, cranny, shortcut, ladder location, and elevated position in every area of San Paro.  This will mostly come with play time, but exploring the city when you're not doing missions helps as well. 

If you lost an encounter, think about WHY.

More often than not (player skill differences aside) there is a reason for your death;

Did you take an overly obvious route?

Were you too out in the open?

Did you peek from cover for too long?

Was there an obvious grenade you should have avoided?

Did you rush without team support?

Were you trying to outrange a weapon you shouldn't?

Did you get impatient and rush too early?

There are an ENDLESS amount of things you can improve on in this game, the most important advice I can give is to think about what you could have done instead and apply it the next time you are in a similar situation. Of course every situation in APB is different however recognising your own bad habits and changing them to good ones goes a long way.

Also take note of why your opposition managed to best you - what did they do differently that you can apply to your gameplay?

There are many many many times where I have eaten a grenade to the face and gone 'damn, that was a smart prediction' and many other situations where I've been flanked and gone 'I should have watched both directions, I deserved that backstab.'

Treat each loss as a chance to get better at the game, it goes a long way!

Ive always thought about making a stream purely to teach people how to play apb. Take like 5 hours of my day to just stream, answer questions, and show how things work.

Ive done it before, one night I taught tactics in FC, and routes you should take for optimal kills. (I also drew Baylan on paint by just my memory, plugged i know)

I'd want to do it all in like a few streams though, which is the thing. Id want to have a lot of people be able to watch this like, lesson or class I guess, and get a lot of people interested in improving. Problem is i'm a not very well known streamer so I doubt i'd get the numbers to get something like this going haha. I think it'd be really cool tho cause there are a lot of people out there who /want/ or have thought about getting better and really trying but theres no one out there who really /teaches/. They just say 'practice' or give basic answers and dont go into detail (except for here on the forums, where detail can be given, but examples can't.) Thats mainly why id want to do this kind of stream idea. So I could go in depth on a ton of things, such as weapons, tactics, map locations, anything really. Anything the chat wants to see or whatever.

Maybe if I get enough support on the idea, or at least some advertisement of it on places where at least a decent amount of people who would be interested in this can see it. Or maybe ill just do it this week for no reason haha.

There was a time when i couldnt USE NTEC FOR CRAPSIES ... Then one day after getting beaten by ntec everyday , i made a promise to myself that I WILL LEARN IT NO MATTER WHAT ...

Lemme remind you, i was GOLD 15 , using a gun that i have never used before (because i simply hated AK47 in everygame)... 

Because of my promise to myself, i started using ntec... First week was hard, mainly because i had no idea how to use ntec and then....I wasnt against silvers or bronzes, i was against the ELITES and ofcourse cheaters (bitfenix/carte blache/solace/CCTV) etc... I got discouraged multiple times every single mission because i was getting my patootie handed to me... But i carried on, around 20 days in.... I was getting better at it..... Around a month later, other players started calling me cheater non stop because i got THAT good with ntec...

My 2cents... Practice ....

Whatever happens DO NOT CHANGE THE GUN (unless you have sniper situations).

Dont get discouraged by other players or the score board.

Promise yourself that you NEED to learn the gun....

Sooner or later, you will break the ice...

Good Luck and God Speed to you ❤️ 

- Always use your corners wisely (lean with the NTEC)

- Use grenades to push corners, I recommend Frag Grenades for this. (Concussion grenades can be good too)

- Use your car for a Mobile spawn point/mobile radar tower.

- As an NTEC player you can play both defensive and aggressive. You have ton of mobility with it.

- Jumpshoot around corners and other spots with the NTEC. Another reason to why it has great mobility and is one of the meta weapons.

- Destroy enemy car spawners/radar towers.

- Predict spawns, for example. Your teammate spawned South, the enemy will most likely get a spawn up North. (depends on different spots)

^Just a few tips

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

EDIT: You can look at my Twitch Past Broadcast here to maybe learn/improve.

Edited by ExoticZ

14 minutes ago, ExoticZ said:

- Jumpshoot around corners and other spots with the NTEC. Another reason to why it has great mobility and is one of the meta weapons.

This is something i have never mastered or bothered to try... I SUCK WITH IT !

Also wouldnt recommend watching streamers as this is NOT DOTA2 were you can employ tactics.. In the game APBR is all about your skill, timing and positions (and nades)...Just keep on playing !

Edited by Thelnformer

10 hours ago, JohnNighthawk said:

Search for Anxiie, he has great ntec montages.

Deep breaths, take it easy, don't worry about losing. This is the most important advice for gaming, something that took me a stupidly long time to learn: Losses are for learning. In APB in particular, you're going to get stomped. The game doesn't explain itself, the vehicles and combat are unlike any other game and learning the map is a mammoth task. Matchmaking is definitely broken and you'll find yourself fighting people outside your skill range probably 85% of the time. If you can get yourself into a clan of friendly people who communicates you'll instantly start doing better, but even if you can't half the game is learning about where to be and when to fight.

But most importantly, don't let yourself get tilted. Don't get so emotionally invested that the game makes you feel like crap. There's no cash prizes to be won for being great at APB and by and large it's a forgotten game except for a few curious newbies (Who generally get stomped by dethreaters) and people who have been playing for the better part of eight years. I've been away from this game for four and my skills went right into the toilet, it's been almost a week and I've almost gotten to the point where I can engage people and maybe win. Long and short: Just do your best. You'll get there.

Edited by Songbearer
  • Like 2

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

3 minutes ago, Songbearer said:

If you can get yourself into a clan of friendly people who communicates you'll instantly start doing better

This is true, I joined Oversight and matches with them are easier because of communication.