DouglasFalcon

Sniper rifles tier list!

Heya!
Didn't really feel like playing APB today, so instead I wanna create a bit of discussion in the forum regarding my absolute favourite weapon cathegory, sniper rifles!
Before you guys flame me, keep in mind that this will be 100% personal opinions and not to be taken too seriously, just let me know your own opinions instead!
Shit quality pic made for this topic by me here
Just one last thing before we start: I won't include reskins (like PSR) or locked variants (like N-HVR 762 Akula) because of redundancy, unless there's a big difference between them (like DMR AV / DMR SD).

So, let's start from S tier!
N-ISSR B "Dog Ear" - Right off the bat we start off with N-ISSR B, a very complete weapon capable of being threatening in a multitude of scenarios and distances. Boasting one of the best TTK out of all snipers, Dog Ear also allows for unrestricted movement when equipped, meaning you can be very mobile and difficult to track down. It also deals respectable damage to cars, has good equip time and generous magazine capacity. Some of his (minor) weaknesses are: poor customization options, due to HS3 being basically mandatory); quick loss of damage past 80 metres (meaning most other snipers will beat it at that point); and somewhat low DPShot that can turn its 4 shots to kill into 5. In the post-HVR era, Dog Ear is definetely the go-to sniper rifle for most people!

Now for A tier!
N-HVR 243 "Sitting Duck" - A very versatile weapon that takes full advantage of its mobility, DPS and accuracy gain; being able to shine even in CQC scenarios due to its good QS capabilities. Its exceptional base accuracy allows Scout to forego HS3 in favor of CJ3 to mitigate his main issue: inconsistency. N-HVR 243's 2 STK will turn into 3 against CA3 users as soon as you miss your second shot, which coupled to slow refire rate can quickly speel doom should you be against a competent player. All in all the second best sniper, albeit having a much bigger weakness the Dog Ear.
Agrotech DMR-AV PR1 - An exceptionally strong rifle against cars, DMR-AV's main niche is defending spots from very far distances, where it can abuse its insane reverse dropoff mechanic to the fullest and deal massive amounts of damage to both enemies and vehicles in the span of a few moments. All this power comes with a downside, though: DMR-AV has one of the longest equip times of the entire game, locked slots aside from a preset HS3 and below average TTK outside of its preferred range. This makes it an overspecialized weapon that utterly destroys anyone when at full potential, but quickly becomes less threatening as distances reduce.

N-HVR 762 Dvah - A shadow of its former self, HVR 762 deals a massive 850 soft damage when fully accurate, ensuring anyone hit by it will fall to the lightest of hits. This, however, is all HVR 762 has left to offer to a player that decides to use it. HVR 762 was taken away its ability to quickswitch (despite some fools still trying to prove a point in this regard), its refire rate is on of the slowest in the entire game (making it VERY unforgiving when you miss your shots), and it auto-loses to any other ranged rifle should you have no cover due its super slow TTK. A very good weapon for confident players that play in particularly well sinergized teams, but tends to show its weaknesses otherwise.

Let's take a look at B tier now.

Agrotech DMR-SD R&D III - Despite being not as brutal as DMR-AV against cars, DMR-SD compensates that with 3 open slots on mods, which are super useful on this weapons due to its customization potential. Aside from "mandatory" mods like HS3 and CJ2, DMR-SD can make great use of 3PS3, Tagger, Mag Pull 3 and even Mob Sling or High Mag Scope, making it way more versatile than its louder counterpart. 400 stamina damage per shot ensures that even CJ3 and Kevlar 3 users will die no matter how many shots you miss (as they'll get stunned rofl). CJ2 helps reducing its shaky TTK when closer than 88 metres to an acceptable level, but overall DMR-SD's lack of hard damage hurts a lot its viability over DMR-AV and some of those shared weaknesses will show as well, eventually.
N-HVR 243 "Scout" Nol - Basically the same as Sitting Duck, but the lack of a preset purple mod allows you to use 3PS3 and give Scout even better quickswitch potential. However, the lack of a Tagger can hurt more than expected, so you might prefer slower equip time in exchange for better team sinergy and faster RoF.

NCR-762 "Anubis" - While many people consider this weapon to be bordeline unusable due to its weird crosshair and consistency issues, I personally believe that Anubis' strenghts make up for it enough to compete with meta weapons under the right hands. Anubis sports a good combination of accuracy on the move and in the air (it's surprisingly good at jumpshooting), great accuracy gain, good TTK for a Sniper and enough DPS and fire rate to ensure your 3 STK won't go higher most of the times. Unfortunately, said weaknesses are undeniably present: the special crosshair is annoyingly large for a precision rifle, making it inconsistent at further distances. The 2nd and 3rd shots also tend to be inconsistent due to a weird inner mechanic that makes it more accurate as you fire, making it a gimmicky sniper that very few people enjoy using.

Now for C tier...

S-247 "Oblivion" - While I don't think this weapon is inherently bad, I think it doesn't have a consistent enough niche to be meta relevant. Its inteded to be a mobile sniper that's fully accurate on the move, but it can't take advantage of Mobility Sling due to equip time becoming very long; on top of always having to move being kinda awkward for a sniper. It has good TTK, esp with CJ3, but it doesn't singergize that well with secondaries or teammates like Scout or HVR, and doesn't particularly shine at any range like DMR. Lastly, it deals absolutely 0 damage to vehicles. meaning that a lot of people will be able to rush you inside a car, forcing you to retreat. At least, its mobility is pretty good for its class, even allowing for decent jumpshot capabilities. Usable, but far from ideal.

Agrotech DMR-AV PR2 - While one might think having better TTK always helps, this isn't the case for DMR-AV PR2. CJ3 gives the weapon too much recoil. which ultimately ruins its accuracy, especially at its 2-shot range, making it better than DMR-AV PR1 only in certain scenarios against cars. Usable, but incredibly frustrating due to its inconsistency issues. Could be easily fixed by giving it CJ2 (which would push it quite a lot in the meta lol)

N-HVR 243 "Reaper" - Basically a nerfed Sitting Duck/Scout Nol. Unable to hold both red and purple mods due to its presets, Reaper even has less effective range than its higher tier siblings due to how the Sniper Silencer mod works. And as we all know, silencer are pretty useless in APB as of now, so it's not like it has any benefits over its counterparts. Again, a usable sniper but extremely overshadowed. Only use it if you like the edgy tagger symbol.

And finally, we have D tier!

SBSR "IRS" - Honestly, this weapon is just bad. I always try to find good things even in the worse looking guns, but SBSR "IRS" is a pathetic excuse of a sniper with a terrible "fully automatic" gimmick attached to it. It has bad TTK (using CJ isn't really an option because it kills its normal recoil system making the "auto sniper" more of a liability than a benefit), average-to-mediocre stats all around, and basically anything this rifle could be good at doing, there's at least another sniper that does it better. Please buff this gun, it's literally the only one I'm never using. Even troll setups aren't fun, it just gives you depression. Never seen anyone successfully using this, either.

This wraps it up for my tier list!
I'd really love to hear about your opinions, and why you think I'm terribly wrong and I suck at this game ❤️
Also, I really hope someone from LO reads this so they can understand the general feeling of the community towards the sniper meta (so please DO write your opinions down lol)

Edited by DouglasFalcon
forgot to include DMR-AV PR2 lmao
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First I have to say. Sir You have Way to much time on your hands, I haven't seen a Book like this in long time.

The S-247 and DMR-AV would be my favorites. I believe my AV is a 3 slot or Pr 3.

On the DMR I'm not sure a cj2 would help much. It may have a factor if your shooting at a player at distance, but if you are using as an anti-vehicle that lil bit may fux U, cause they are generally charging you or running, leaving little time to track and shoot, and the barrel would still have the same recoil.

The S-247 does seem to lack something. Lacking the Wallop of other snipers, it can be used in a pinch for hip firing, but almost any pistol outside of the magnums and the .38 would be better at close range.

I like the 243s but they all are pre-modded. Most of the guns I buy, I am attracted by the skin and the sound, The 243s make the coolest rifle Crack of them all. It actually sounds like a .243, but ya can't use em as a sniper, more like a squad rifle or dmr due to the lack of sites and ammo load. They don't have any 3 slot none pre-modded 243s, which is why i don't own any. 

I'd give a lengthy response, but, since it's your opinion as your said, i'll respect it.

Only note is that Cooling Jacket doesn't effect recoil. the DMR-AV PR2 is a straight upgrade from the PR1, its just a bit better at ruining cars due to being able to shoot faster, not having to wait for the full retractile reset due to the size of vehicles.

46 minutes ago, Nanometic said:

I'd give a lengthy response, but, since it's your opinion as your said, i'll respect it.

Only note is that Cooling Jacket doesn't effect recoil. the DMR-AV PR2 is a straight upgrade from the PR1, its just a bit better at ruining cars due to being able to shoot faster, not having to wait for the full retractile reset due to the size of vehicles.

Sorry, you're right! It actually worsens minimum accuracy (aka how big the crosshair gets after you shoot with most sniper rifles), which is a very similar thing all things considered! 

Try CJ3 and CJ2 on a DMR, you'll notice the difference I'm talking about!

Edited by DouglasFalcon
Minor typos

if the hvr is not at the top of the list, ur list is wrong

11 hours ago, DouglasFalcon said:

Heya!
Didn't really feel like playing APB today, so instead I wanna create a bit of discussion in the forum regarding my absolute favourite weapon cathegory, sniper rifles!
Before you guys flame me, keep in mind that this will be 100% personal opinions and not to be taken too seriously, just let me know your own opinions instead!
Shit quality pic made for this topic by me here
Just one last thing before we start: I won't include reskins (like PSR) or locked variants (like N-HVR 762 Akula) because of redundancy, unless there's a big difference between them (like DMR AV / DMR SD).

So, let's start from S tier!
N-ISSR B "Dog Ear" - Right off the bat we start off with N-ISSR B, a very complete weapon capable of being threatening in a multitude of scenarios and distances. Boasting one of the best TTK out of all snipers, Dog Ear also allows for unrestricted movement when equipped, meaning you can be very mobile and difficult to track down. It also deals respectable damage to cars, has good equip time and generous magazine capacity. Some of his (minor) weaknesses are: poor customization options, due to HS3 being basically mandatory); quick loss of damage past 80 metres (meaning most other snipers will beat it at that point); and somewhat low DPShot that can turn its 4 shots to kill into 5. In the post-HVR era, Dog Ear is definetely the go-to sniper rifle for most people!

Now for A tier!
N-HVR 243 "Sitting Duck" - A very versatile weapon that takes full advantage of its mobility, DPS and accuracy gain; being able to shine even in CQC scenarios due to its good QS capabilities. Its exceptional base accuracy allows Scout to forego HS3 in favor of CJ3 to mitigate his main issue: inconsistency. N-HVR 243's 2 STK will turn into 3 against CA3 users as soon as you miss your second shot, which coupled to slow refire rate can quickly speel doom should you be against a competent player. All in all the second best sniper, albeit having a much bigger weakness the Dog Ear.
Agrotech DMR-AV PR1 - An exceptionally strong rifle against cars, DMR-AV's main niche is defending spots from very far distances, where it can abuse its insane reverse dropoff mechanic to the fullest and deal massive amounts of damage to both enemies and vehicles in the span of a few moments. All this power comes with a downside, though: DMR-AV has one of the longest equip times of the entire game, locked slots aside from a preset HS3 and below average TTK outside of its preferred range. This makes it an overspecialized weapon that utterly destroys anyone when at full potential, but quickly becomes less threatening as distances reduce.

N-HVR 762 Dvah - A shadow of its former self, HVR 762 deals a massive 850 hard damage when fully accurate, ensuring anyone hit by it will fall to the lightest of hits. his, however, is all HVR 762 has left to offer to a player that decides to use it. HVR 762 was taken away its ability to quickswitch (despite some fools still trying to prove a point in this regard), its refire rate is on of the slowest in the entire game (making it VERY unforgiving when you miss your shots), and it auto-loses to any other ranged rifle should you have no cover due its super slow TTK. A very good weapon for confident players that play in particularly well sinergized teams, but tends to show its weaknesses otherwise.

Let's take a look at B tier now.

Agrotech DMR-SD R&D III - Despite being not as brutal as DMR-AV against cars, DMR-SD compensates that with 3 open slots on mods, which are super useful on this weapons due to its customization potential. Aside from "mandatory" mods like HS3 and CJ2, DMR-SD can make great use of 3PS3, Tagger, Mag Pull 3 and even Mob Sling or High Mag Scope, making it way more versatile than its louder counterpart. 400 stamina damage per shot ensures that even CJ3 and Kevlar 3 users will die no matter how many shots you miss (as they'll get stunned rofl). CJ2 helps reducing its shaky TTK when closer than 88 metres to an acceptable level, but overall DMR-SD's lack of hard damage hurts a lot its viability over DMR-AV and some of those shared weaknesses will show as well, eventually.
N-HVR 243 "Scout" Nol - Basically the same as Sitting Duck, but the lack of a preset purple mod allows you to use 3PS3 and give Scout even better quickswitch potential. However, the lack of a Tagger can hurt more than expected, so you might prefer slower equip time in exchange for better team sinergy and faster RoF.

NCR-762 "Anubis" - While many people consider this weapon to be bordeline unusable due to its weird crosshair and consistency issues, I personally believe that Anubis' strenghts make up for it enough to compete with meta weapons under the right hands. Anubis sports a good combination of accuracy on the move and in the air (it's surprisingly good at jumpshooting), great accuracy gain, good TTK for a Sniper and enough DPS and fire rate to ensure your 3 STK won't go higher most of the times. Unfortunately, said weaknesses are undeniably present: the special crosshair is annoyingly large for a precision rifle, making it inconsistent at further distances. The 2nd and 3rd shots also tend to be inconsistent due to a weird inner mechanic that makes it more accurate as you fire, making it a gimmicky sniper that very few people enjoy using.

Now for C tier...

S-247 "Oblivion" - While I don't think this weapon is inherently bad, I think it doesn't have a consistent enough niche to be meta relevant. Its inteded to be a mobile sniper that's fully accurate on the move, but it can't take advantage of Mobility Sling due to equip time becoming very long; on top of always having to move being kinda awkward for a sniper. It has good TTK, esp with CJ3, but it doesn't singergize that well with secondaries or teammates like Scout or HVR, and doesn't particularly shine at any range like DMR. Lastly, it deals absolutely 0 damage to vehicles. meaning that a lot of people will be able to rush you inside a car, forcing you to retreat. At least, its mobility is pretty good for its class, even allowing for decent jumpshot capabilities. Usable, but far from ideal.

Agrotech DMR-AV PR2 - While one might think having better TTK always help,s this isn't the case for DMR-AV PR2. CJ3 gives the weapon too much recoil. which ultimately ruins its accuracy, especially at its 2-shot range, making it better than DMR-AV PR1 only in certain scenarios against cars. Usable, but incredibly frustrating due to its inconsistency issues. Could be easily fixed by giving it CJ2 (which would push it quite a lot in the meta lol)

N-HVR 243 "Reaper" - Basically a nerfed Sitting Duck/Scout Nol. Unable to hold both red and purple mods due to its presets, Reaper even has less effective range than its higher tier siblings due to how the Sniper Silencer mod works. And as we all know, silencer are pretty useless in APB as of now, so it's not like it has any benefits over its counterparts. Again, a usable sniper but extremely overshadowed. Only use it if you like the edgy tagger symbol.

And finally, we have D tier!

SBSR "IRS" - Honestly, this weapon is just bad. I always try to find good things even in the worse looking guns, but SBSR "IRS" is a pathetic excuse of a sniper with a terrible "fully automatic" gimmick attached to it. It has bad TTK (using CJ isn't really an option because it kills its normal recoil system making the "auto sniper" more of a liability than a benefit), average-to-mediocre stats all around, and basically anything this rifle could be good at doing, there's at least another sniper that does it better. Please buff this gun, it's literally the only one I'm never using. Even troll setups aren't fun, it just gives you depression. Never seen anyone successfully using this, either.

This wraps it up for my tier list!
I'd really love to hear about your opinions, and why you think I'm terribly wrong and I suck at this game ❤️
Also, I really hope someone from LO reads this so they can understand the general feeling of the community towards the sniper meta (so please DO write your opinions down lol)

really dont understand why people write off the 3ps3 as shittier than the cj3 scout... you kill way faster with 45/scout with 3ps3 than u do with 2 CJ3 scout shots.

also putting the DMR AV pr2 below the SD, Anubis, and oblivion makes no sense, CJ3 hardly does anything to the weapons bloom, not enough for it to matter at least... and for sure not enough to place it under 3 weapons that are clearly shittier than it.

N-HVR 762 is still annoying and shouldn't be a game, really think it's cringe that there's a weapon that can bring an enemy down to 1 shot territory in just a single shot, in a team-based shooter. You can literally tag someone for all their health, have ur teammate hold down left click with an ursus (or any rifle, really) to complete the kill. shit happens so fast, sometimes it feels like you were one shot... can't even fucking react.

Edited by claude

DMR-SD 3 Slot way too low on your list... so is HVR (broken tier level)

I also think the DMR-AV pr2 should be above the pr1 cause for killing cars its better and if youre using DMR to kill players then the SD is the best.

Also didn't know there was an open slot scout, is it on the joker ticket store or?

Maybe we should stop trying to balance the HVR and just delete it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Word of clarification.

Silencers are not useless. They hide your presence from radar and that can confuse even veterans about your location. Sound is still produced but you need to be very close to one shooting to hear it.

The downsides of silencers hurting weapon capability (mainly effective range) in comparsion is what make people choose unsilenced weapons. 

Annnnd... this tier list needs redo.

Edited by Mitne

33 minutes ago, Mitne said:

Silencers are not useless. They hide your presence from radar

the only silencer mod that affects radar is the condor's legendary mod

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mitne said:

???

https://apbdb.com/items/FnMod_Weapon_Silencer_SniperRifle

"A Suppressor and Speciality rounds dampen the sound and muzzle flare and remove all tracers"

tracers are the little bullet trails in this image:

nyKQSnm.jpg

they were broken years ago and have effectively not existed ever since

2 minutes ago, 404 said:

tracers are the little bullet trails in this image:

nyKQSnm.jpg

they were broken years ago and have effectively not existed ever since

I don't know why I though silencers hide shooters then.

Maybe because it made sense in my head... and would make sense in-game.

Edited by Mitne

Just now, Mitne said:

Maybe because it made sense in my head.

every since the condor was added to the live version the radar has been bugged - single shots will often not cause a radar indicator to appear

its particularly noticeable with low rof guns like most snipers and shotguns, i've seen a lot of situations where an hvr or csg user ends up killing someone without ever pinging on radar

3 hours ago, claude said:

really dont understand why people write off the 3ps3 as shittier than the cj3 scout... you kill way faster with 45/scout with 3ps3 than u do with 2 CJ3 scout shots.

From my experience, most people use CJ3 over 3PS3 because of higher versatily. You can still qs very effectively even without it, esp with any sort of cover, and bringing down Scout's TTK can be huge in situations where your secondary is basically useless.

3 hours ago, safdfsgkjhdgsjkhs said:

I also think the DMR-AV pr2 should be above the pr1 cause for killing cars its better and if youre using DMR to kill players then the SD is the best.

Imma just briefly explain why I think that way of the 3 DMR variants.
-DMR AV PR1 is basically a jack of all trades. Good at taking down cars and car spawners, you can camp/spawn camp pretty effectively with it, acceptable TTK when in 2shot range (.8 seconds). Not great at anything, but can do all of the above with good results.
-DMR SD has far better TTK and other "minor stats" depending on your mods, but to me what sets apart DMR from other snipers is its hard damage, something DMR SD somewhat lacks. It's still a great weapon (and actually my mainly used sniper), but I'm oftentimes forced to switch to AV due to circumstances requiring it. Still by far the superior one to use in Baylan Shipping, and I wouldn't mind pushing it in the upper tier that much all things considered.

-DMR AV PR2 focuses on taking down cars as fast as possible, but it's only slightly more effective than PR1 at doing so (there's a ton of issues regarding car health, as the most popular cars atm don't blow up to a DMR AV full mag), but this greatly hampers DMR accuracy against human targets over distance, something this rifle is basically intended for. Again, it could easily go up by one tier, but I still feel like it's the worst of the 3 because it doesn't even do its job too well.

Again, this is personal opinion and if you don't agree with me that's fine, I made this tier list for understanding different points of view and opinions so it's all good to me:)

3 hours ago, claude said:

N-HVR 762 is still annoying and shouldn't be a game, really think it's cringe that there's a weapon that can bring an enemy down to 1 shot territory in just a single shot, in a team-based shooter. You can literally tag someone for all their health, have ur teammate hold down left click with an ursus (or any rifle, really) to complete the kill. shit happens so fast, sometimes it feels like you were one shot... can't even fucking react.

While I also think HVR's soft damage is super cringe worthy and extremely oppressive, I think its many flaws are notable enough to bring it down to A tier. Requiring way more team support than Sitting Duck and DMR AV is what made me decide to move it below them.

I'm also glad the Silencer thing was discussed as I was typing, I really wish they worked in this game but currently they're just wasted mods altoghether 😞

3 minutes ago, DouglasFalcon said:

DMR SD has far better TTK

afaik the dmr-sd has the same ttk as the dmr-av, even comparing practical ttk the dmr has such a low rof that the increased recoil of the av variant is basically irrelevant 

3 hours ago, safdfsgkjhdgsjkhs said:

Also didn't know there was an open slot scout, is it on the joker ticket store or?

sitting duck

1 minute ago, 404 said:

afaik the dmr-sd has the same ttk as the dmr-av, even comparing practical ttk the dmr has such a low rof that the increased recoil of the av variant is basically irrelevant 

I think many people underestimate how much CJ3 worsens DMR's RoF, compared to CJ2. CJ2 sits at the perfect spot where you can fire at full rate without ever having to wait, while CJ3 forces you to either wait for the crosshair to close or take an RNG guess after 70 metres of distance. While this barely affects your aim while shooting at cars, it's a huge issue for precision shots (like below a car or a half hidden target), and what would be a guaranteed, unreactable 2shot kill turns into a super frustrating 60 tag into "he's tagged and running in X direction" sentence on the mic.

When I said DMR SD has better TTK I was referring to its ability to hold CJ2, something PR variants lack. Should have worded myself more correctly, apologies.

15 hours ago, DouglasFalcon said:

N-HVR 762 Dvah - A shadow of its former self, HVR 762 deals a massive 850 hard damage when fully accurate

Health damage is 850

Hard damage is the damage to cars and the N-HVR only deals 102 of that (850 would be insane xd part of me wants to see an n-hvr that can 1hit cars now - not like actually in the game, just for fun)

unless you meant 850 is *hard*

Edited by neophobia
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, neophobia said:

Health damage is 850

Hard damage is the damage to cars and the N-HVR only deals 102 of that (850 would be insane xd part of me wants to see an n-hvr that can 1hit cars now - not like actually in the game, just for fun)

unless you meant 850 is *hard*

I mean. When I get hit for 850 damage it feels hard and I might as well just have got one shot anyway.

In some cases getting hit with 850 damage can be even worse than just straight up dying.

12 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

I mean. When I get hit for 850 damage it feels hard and I might as well just have got one shot anyway.

In some cases getting hit with 850 damage can be even worse than just straight up dying.

nothing like being forced to sit in cover for 17 seconds so the hvr can't one tap you

thanks ca3

12 minutes ago, 404 said:

nothing like being forced to sit in cover for 17 seconds so the hvr can't one tap you

thanks ca3

That's what most people never realise and why the HVR is so disgusting. The crowd control ability is just unmatched by anything else. The ability to just remove a single person from the fight for 17 seconds with a single click is HUGE.

And in  a game like APB that 17 seconds can be way worse than just dying instead.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

And in  a game like APB that 17 seconds can be way worse than just dying instead.

just run into the open then

or nade yourself

like lilyv3

Edited by neophobia

2 hours ago, Mitne said:

Maybe because it made sense in my head... and would make sense in-game.

Maybe because that's how it is in every other game, and APB is special.

Though I wonder how you didn't know, you've been with APB for a long time.