MattScott

Dev Update May 2020

Honestly these pictures🤮 disgust me, this is fake news, they have not worked a inch on the game, I mean yes, children play this but how do yo see the FE community??? 2 years later and your giving us pics🤢. 👀 Where is the beginning gameplay video 🎥 pics 🤢 means nothing at all that's easy 💁 . . Little Orbit you suck tbh. 😒 You have let all the FE fans down, and for this fraud of a post, I'ma take a picture, go-to Walmart get the sketch of it, piss on it and bury it 😂😂😂

On 5/8/2020 at 8:25 AM, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

First, I want to acknowledge that I have been absolutely terrible about providing updates on Fallen Earth.

Certainly COVID-19 has had an impact on the studio's ability to work on multiple titles at once, but this mostly rests on me.

I kept scheduling an update for you guys, and then by the end of a 10-12 work day, I just couldn't seem to find the time.

Second, I want to set expectations (again) for where we are and where we aren't. This project is #3 on our priority list right now.

As a company we can only do so many concurrent projects with the staff we have.

1) We need to get the APB Engine Upgrade out the door. Internally, we have been forced to keep shifting the date out due to performance issues, but we have reached the "all hands on deck" point. This needs to ship, so we can free up developers to focus on other priorities. 

2) After that, we have also committed to a Live stream of Unsung Story for those backers who have waited 5 years to get a glimpse of the game they funded. So the rest of the studio is working overtime to prepare for the June 1st stream.

I want to be clear that Fallen Earth isn't loved any less in the studio. Temporary circumstances have forced us to be very specific where we are putting our resources. The team is excited to get back into the Wastelands, so we can get you guys the game you deserve too. We are still very much in the early, exploratory phase of development where we were testing various solutions to each system that needs to be ported. But here is a description of the short term roadmap to get to our first internal milestone:

- Recreating the terrain

This effort got fairly far along, but there is still work to do. While the basic shape of the terrain is in, there are 2 subsystems that haven't been ported. The first system uses image "stamps" to deform terrain based on where the original designers placed them. These stamps create more interesting geometry and help break up the height mapped look of what we have now. The second system uses nodes that form lines and areas to deform terrain for roads, hills, lakes, and other areas where geometry has been "carved" away by the remnants of humanity to build their structures.

- Terrain texture layers

This technology has gotten quite a bit better since Fallen Earth was written. The team was starting to identify the strategy for "splatting" or compositing textures on the terrain to create more variation and interest as the player moves through different ecosystems or biomes.

- Foliage rendering

This is likely one of the biggest areas where I think we can make the world of Fallen Earth feel more realistic. Foilage systems have become so much more powerful and now contain more realistic looking plants and trees. The team was exploring how to adapt the game's foliage data so it could be applied into Unity's systems. This combined with the above terrain enhancements should be impressive in the final product.

- Streaming the terrain and objects

The original code was very good at rendering chunks of terrain with only the nearest objects to you. In the new code, we've gone with an entirely new way of chunking up the map that will require us to stream in pieces as you run around. We had just started experimenting with a couple techniques, before the devs got pulled onto other projects.

NOTE: We have a basic demo for the terrain that I took screenshots from, and this runs extremely slow because all of the terrain and objects across the entire world of FE are rendered.

- Fixes to imported assets

We also found some bugs in our importer that created inverted normal maps, didn't assign textures properly, or created rigs wrong. We were in the process of fixing these bugs, so we could delete the imported assets and reimport everything from scratch. Then we can re-run the process that builds the various layers to the map, so we can prep streaming.

- Character assembly

With all the pieces for characters imported, the team had started work on the code that assembles the player with the proper body proportions, head, tattoos, clothes and items. We hit an immediate snag on supporting "selection sets". These are lists of faces on the model that can be shown or hidden by name. The original code used them to hide the areas that are covered up by clothes.

- Basic movement prototype

This is our first milestone for the project. With all of the above tasks completed, the plan is to (1) assemble a character (2) load into the world and (3) run around the environment with active collisions preventing you from walking through objects. This wont be connected to any servers or running any multiplayer code. It's just a milestone to test everything all together and see how it looks.

With all of that in mind, I thought it would be fun to post some WIP screenshots for classic Fallen Earth locations, so you could see how some of this is coming along.

The shots below show the assembled terrain, buildings, objects and props for the entire world. You'll notice in the upper right hand corner, that we're sticking with the game's original coordinate system. This allows us to hop around the map to inspect things. There are no terrain textures yet because the layering system hasn't been implemented. Just imagine this is Fallen Earth in winter 🙂. Oddly, that effect is enhanced by a good number of the objects that are embedded too low into the ground. This is because we're still missing those two subsystems that I mentioned above that deform the terrain in smaller areas. You'll also see some texturing artifacts on the buildings and objects. Everything looked good as we inspected a couple buildings at a time during the import process. But when we assembled the whole map we found areas that still needed work in the importer.

Clinton F.A.R.M.

clinton-farm01.PNG

clinton-farm02.PNG

Embry Crossroads

embry01.PNG

embry02.PNG

Los Alamos

los-alamos.PNG

Haven

haven.PNG

Watchtower

watchtower.PNG

Odenville

odenville.PNG

And a bit of a fail with Boneclaw… Apparently the ramps for this area are heavily carved out from the terrain, so much of it is buried.

boneclaw.PNG

I appreciate your patience.

Stay safe.

Thanks,

Matt 

Fraud + Fake News 🤬

On 5/8/2020 at 8:59 AM, bIablablaheheheh said:

I'll be the first to say that communication on the priority list, a short term road map, as well as a few WIP screenshots is better than no communication or updates at all. Even if the post originally had "Thanks, Matt" before the final screenshot. 😉

None the less, the screenshots no doubt bring back memories and nostalgia and I guarantee a lot of the FE lovers who still check in will enjoy. I for one cannot wait to step into a test realm or see some live streams in the future. Keep up the great work, excited to see more progress updates on FE and other entities over the course of the next year.

-Bla

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

Merged.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:29 AM, VinnieLajoya said:

FE WILL LIVE AGAIN! 😄

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

On 5/8/2020 at 3:50 PM, Kaylee Fryes said:

Thank you for giving us an update.  Waiting for FE to return.  Just wish we could have played it during this Pandemic.  Anyhow, lets get this ball rolling !

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

On 5/9/2020 at 6:39 PM, Reaps989 said:

True, tho it definitely had better micro transactions... FE would've had a lot more funding with properly prices items as well as just a broad selection, afterall they had two individuals on the art team. Tho I enjoy the work they did on "The Unknown" given that I don't think they could add a new model.

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hollywood7098 said:

Honestly these pictures🤮 disgust me, this is fake news, they have not worked a inch on the game, I mean yes, children play this but how do yo see the FE community??? 2 years later and your giving us pics🤢. 👀 Where is the beginning gameplay video 🎥 pics 🤢 means nothing at all that's easy 💁 . . Little Orbit you suck tbh. 😒 You have let all the FE fans down, and for this fraud of a post, I'ma take a picture, go-to Walmart get the sketch of it, piss on it and bury it 😂😂😂

Fraud + Fake News 🤬

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

Merged.

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

Try to make a video game (on Unity or Unreal Engine) and you could talk to these awsome team to bring back this awsome game later ! I can't wait to play it !
If you have not try to make your own game, do not talk trash like that of a greatfull team as put sweat and tears to make FE and now to make remastered of FE or new FE
I have a great respect for the teams to bring back this old game and good luck for the next FE teams

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorthSimon said:

Try to make a video game (on Unity or Unreal Engine) and you could talk to these awsome team to bring back this awsome game later ! I can't wait to play it !
If you have not try to make your own game, do not talk trash like that of a greatfull team as put sweat and tears to make FE and now to make remastered of FE or new FE
I have a great respect for the teams to bring back this old game and good luck for the next FE teams

Thanks for mentioning, try to make your own game. I got one bro been working on it, got events going on right now, uh u can join too, add me on discord an il get u in game details

• Like 1

so youve been running down this game(FE) to advertise your own?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hollywood7098 said:

Thanks for mentioning, try to make your own game. I got one bro been working on it, got events going on right now, uh u can join too, add me on discord an il get u in game details

I try to make one too, but why you trash talk like your "proper" game ? That make any sense...
I don't want to join you because, i don't want to ear your no sense rage about your "proper" game or a game you helped to developed
Please TE teams defend yourself, your proper team mate for your game talk trash of your future game ?

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 2:15 PM, Hollywood7098 said:

Fraud + Fake News 🤬

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

Merged.

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

Ok we get it it. No one has paid you any attention since FE shut down, so now you show your true Trump supporter mantra.

We get it, but still don't care. If you feel so disappointed with Little Orbit. Log out. Delete all your accounts and never look at this forum again. Don't think anyone would mind if you did.

• Like 6

On 6/24/2020 at 1:47 AM, Hollywood7098 said:

1. I'm not joining your Discord server just to be your beta tester

2. I highly doubt a game developer trashing other game devs or publishers has ever made a proper, involved game, weekend indie at best

3. You're really not selling Your own game acting the way you do, You don't seem trustworthy merely because you throw around "fake news" around like its candy on Halloween

4. Even seeing a lengthy update on the forum with pictures fill me with a lot more hope for FE than G1 ever gave me with their constant catch-up and server lag issues.

Little Orbit, please don't shatter my hopes, FE has much more potential than any other MMO currently on the market, I'm patient, but FE changed hands multiple times during the years and it always played 2nd hand after APB for some reason.. After a game that has (and always had) waaaay less longevity, pedigree, community possibilities and 0 RP potential. For YEARS I said that FE was due for a sequel or even a rework (from scratch, yes!) on a new engine with very little change to it's current mechanics, the crafting and farming for materials alone sold FE for me, I could even link a video that made me try FE so many years later, it was indeed about the crafting mechanics.

Please, Little Orbit, PLEASE bring Fallen Earth back online as soon as You can, so we, the community, can show You that You made the right decision in acquiring this IP. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Considering the profits that could be made from bringing this game back, between the Roleplay Community and the PVP Community, they'd be out of their minds not to. And that's the brass tacks, wasteland.

4 hours ago, cyasoon said:

⏳🕛🕜🌛🌞🌛🌞⌛,💤 

Yeah I know , hopefully we all can roam again in Grand canyon wasteland . 🙂

On 6/23/2020 at 6:15 AM, Hollywood7098 said:

Fraud + Fake News 🤬

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

Merged.

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

LO = Fraud + Fake News 

Lmao, it was half a year at most.
Can someone just ban this dude?

My opinion does not differ much from what holiwood says, at least in its content, not in the forms.

I do not see any progress that makes me think that the game will be released soon but quite the opposite and by the words written by matt it means that the game is in the queue, but at the end of the tail end.

I see opinions of people who have been very toxic in the game and who have written things like "if the game is turned off I will not play it anymore" or "if there is a reset I will not play it anymore" (verbiage of small children) and now they defend at all costs the game (quite the opposite of what they have doing not much ago).

The worst of all this is that these types of people "insult" and "disrespect" other people on the forum who do not think as they call them trolls or similar things, when they are the authentic "trolls".

I'm just saying one thing, this is a public, democratic forum, where there are different opinions and they are debated in an adult way, whoever does not understand this is an authentic child or a fool's patootie.

Greetings and thanks For the images, matt, but in my opinion we need more merchandise than the progression that I hope you remember us, greetings from Spain!

17 hours ago, nC_mixam said:

Lmao, it was half a year at most.
Can someone just ban this dude?

Why doesn't someone put the same as you have to ban? Democracy and freedom of opinion is the opposite of what you represent. You are the one who should be banned / ignored. And if you are offended that people do not look like you, just go to a wall and head butt.

8 hours ago, Aroa Croft said:

I do not see any progress that makes me think that the game will be released soon

Because it's not. I don't know, where all of you got the idea, that FE2 *will* be released in span of a year, when WE WERE TOLD FROM THE START, that main focus for LO is developing APB.

8 hours ago, Aroa Croft said:

Why doesn't someone put the same as you have to ban? Democracy and freedom of opinion is the opposite of what you represent. You are the one who should be banned / ignored. And if you are offended that people do not look like you, just go to a wall and head butt.

On this forum i'm against the freedom of speech. My position is: "Anyone, who dosen't appreciate the work, devs put in to release this game again, should be banned."  So, yeah. Either shut up, and be patient, or just delete your account on this forum, and never come back.
By the way, learn the goddamn english. Being Spanish is not the excuse.

• Like 1

Tone it down a bit nubcakes, fact is it's being looked into and leave it at that. Nobody expected it to be anytime soon considering FE's potential profit being miniscule compared to their other projects based it's past.

Also Aroa has come a long way, and it's an international forum.

Every good thing takes time, I belive Little Orbit return back Fallen Earth and we get good game.  Hopefully their other projects get done soon .  And for people  I get it some are frustrated  for waiting so long , about progress and etc.  But trash talk wont help either and speeds up progresss whats about to make in future.  🙂  Good day to You all Wastelanders.

Long story short, why don't we turn this into some good (while ignoring trolls anywho), and just post our opinion on two weeks micro updates instead of one raw dump.

I believe ur voice counts here, so...I'd be glad if anyone on the team finds 1 hour each two weeks to get out of the loop and post us some new shots)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

im not joining in to the comedy team. i am more interested in facts. the game is in a sort of progress, more or less ? fact is, as it seems, the game will not be back soon, whatever soon means and that is it. we can listen or think ourselves what the reasons are that nothing comes forward. in my experience as longer the shutdown of the game lasts, the more the interest decreases, on both sides the players and the company. it doesnt matter where it first reaches this point, the result is the same. beside this loss of interest the game"s reputation decreases also, which wasnt that good before among mmo players. i dont wanna speculate, but whenever could u pick anything from a naked man" s pocket ? nothing. fact is a naked man in the wastelands is dead by the evening.i fear our game is that naked man.

• Thanks 1

Com'on Thano think positive ,naked man might find some ragged cotton .😀

Does anyone know the currently state of the game? We used to have a very active latin comunnity, Greets from Chile! 

15 hours ago, Cacaseka said:

Does anyone know the currently state of the game? We used to have a very active latin comunnity, Greets from Chile! 

That thread is basically all we know at this moment in time.

my only question is will the player progress still be there or will we have to restart completely