MattScott

Dev Update May 2020

Happy to get some good news, keep up the hard work so I can get back into the wasteland as soon as possible. Please also try to keep updates more regular in the future we all have big hopes for this project.

• Thanks 1

Wow, this is a ton of info! I love all the details and explanations behind the systems being worked on. The overhead shots of the old towns is pretty cool too, and brings back a lot of nostalgia.

Poor Boneclaw. We'll dig you back out again, dont you worry. Gotta keep those Enfo's at bay after all. 😉

Edit; Facebook legit just showed me a gaggle of screenshots from six years ago making my heart strings tear. I miss everyone.

Edited by Ardenn

On 5/9/2020 at 5:17 AM, Candyrose said:

Thank you for your update. It is a shame that Fallen Earth has taken such a low priority since I have never liked the game APB. I am looking forward to seeing something in the years to come.

APB was already in the works of the engine upgrade before Fallen Earth had the major problems it had that caused this rework needing to be done.

its not the matter of importance but what was already being worked on compared to what was not started yet from Fallen Earth being unexpected with the data fails.

Great to hear the news Matt! Also, it's fantastic to be see competence in action in the game development world. Although I'd love for the project to be completed, your approach to the work is extremely reassuring.

I just hope when everything is done that the old players still have all their loot and rank.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SolarLight said:

I just hope when everything is done that the old players still have all their loot and rank.

NO. F that. As an old player I want a fresh start. Also nobody would be interested in trying out a game if its economy is 20 years old.

The thing that excites me the most is a new beginning. And pretty sure that is the point of the project.

• Like 1

You can have a fresh start, by creating new acc. Simple, effective. And on top of that, u will not impose your will on other players.

I for one, not losing my stuff cz of ur wishes)

• Like 2

Lets have 2 servers, Fresh Start and Old Gear. You can enjoy your old gear for about 3 days then you will be so bored and alone because 99.9% of the game population will be on the Fresh start server. Who knows could be all kinds of new things to do and see during the leveling process. maybe even new level cap and endgame content

I would have been okay with 'old gear' if they could bring back the stuff from before we lost the extra gear slots and pre-gore. The Yellow Chip exploit was too much and people breaking the currency cap is ultimately why we cant have nice things. I doubt Little Orbit has access to the 'golden age' era of design and playability, because we were never supposed to have literal billions of high end currency. Plus by the time I joined, you could already grind to level cap in about four days with maximum reputation in three factions almost totally naked, and I joined before F2P happened.

Welcome the facelift and enjoy the nostalgia of the development phase, don't hate on the change. Cherish the memories you had, and the ones you may yet make in the future.

(As a side, Secret World relaunched and gave all their grandmasters all their loot and shit and the game is basically dead because the people who played it already owned everything so they werent making money. And now Tencent owns them and lootboxes and pay to win is all over their games.)

i be just glad to have game back even if it means having to restart,and yes i will lose a lot of stuff but thats all it is ,,,,,stuff. i for 1 hope we do lose it all because it will it show who are the real fans of this game are 

Edited by cyasoon
  • Like 1

Fresh start would be nice and higer level cap. Because I remember when players grinded lvl 55 in a week or less, then all went boring to them. I say lvl 100 and maybe some new content in end game . Level 100 , because then we dont have to see so many alts running around xD

Hello all, it's me Veeruska p: fresh start would be just fine for me. They must track and remove all duped items, if they can't do that they must remove everything. OH and chips must be deleted too, and i'm pretty sure thats going to happen since there is players with 5 accounts all chars full of yellows. I know there is players who won't come back if they lose their stuff, so i really hope they can destroy duped items in game. I hope to see all of you when FE 2.0 is back online. Sleep tight, don't let the corona virus bite!

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 3:36 AM, RN86 said:

Fresh start would be nice and higer level cap. Because I remember when players grinded lvl 55 in a week or less, then all went boring to them. I say lvl 100 and maybe some new content in end game . Level 100 , because then we dont have to see so many alts running around xD

......Not to be a jackass but do you understand how much work would go into allowing level 100?

Maybe 60, but bloody hell that's another 9 tiers of armor/weapons.

Then you figure skills would jump from 195 (196) to 330. Mind you most skills already have ranks 5-9 already at 192. So considering they usually scale by 18 that's another 7-8 ranks to account for when every skill/mutation has 2-4 abilities.

Then you need to figure out the proper scaling of weapons and armor to line up the current resists... And we can't even begin to speak about 1575 AP which nomatter how you'd slice that every build would have EVERYTHING.

No my brudda, you dew not know dah wei.

Edit : 60 would actually be easy as we could reach it with current available content.

Possible 1-2 rank increase in abilities

Canmove AP and GT armor to level 60 to avoid needing to make another armor (tho strongly suggest new models)

Only slightly warps balance as obviously we'd gain a considerable amount of AP from levels (175 AP) tho most of which most likely would pump into passives, new 210 skill tier, and whatever "meta"

Even then FE does not need "more" levels, it needs proper progression and either rework or removal of useless content. FE has plenty of content as it stands, just a lot of which is obsolete due to future content releases.

If the servers went up tomorrow I could skip 90% of the game simply because it's more efficient to do so, that's a problem.

Edited by Reaps989

Reaps you are a jackass lol
Level 100 is simple math
Skills and AP simple math
Weapon and Resist scaling simple math
The only issue is developing 45 levels of content and zones
You can skip 90% of any MMO for efficiency does skipping it make it fun? sometimes yes
Replay value = ironman challenge / play through the story despite efficiency

1 hour ago, Coressar said:

Reaps you are a jackass lol
Level 100 is simple math
Skills and AP simple math
Weapon and Resist scaling simple math
The only issue is developing 45 levels of content and zones
You can skip 90% of any MMO for efficiency does skipping it make it fun? sometimes yes
Replay value = ironman challenge / play through the story despite efficiency

Oh I know I am at times my brudda

• Level 100 is not the same as 55, Considering the scaling was adjusted specifically for this level cap.
    • Even if I based it off current scaling, the current builds do not transfer to level 100 compared to their 55 counterparts.
  • All of which are simple yet we have Stage 3 and GT which are not properly scaled, including AP.
  • I doubt you even know the formula for resists, but either way.
    • You then need to make 9 weapon/armor tiers of each type which is unreasonable. (AR/BR/Shotgun/Sawnoff/Sniper/Lights/Mediums/Heavies/1h/2h)
  • Skills do scale by a static amount each rank, fact is they would need to be added and the client updated to support more ranks.
  • Implying that making content to make up for those 45 levels is "easy", we don't need more useless content.

Already played through FE once as have most who stuck around, the fact is progression is borked. It's one thing to skip 50% of content due to efficiency, but going straight to end-game as your time is better spent doing that as ultimately you'll avoid Stage 2/DT Tier 1/DT Tier 2/Stage 3/GORE as their farm is considerably longer than GT Armor & AP weapons.

Levels have never made any game better, it simple bolstered superficial stats which translated to being just as strong in the previous version.

Fixing the current > Adding bullshoot

Spoiler : If you play through just the story you'll still be maybe 35 tops unless you count faction missions... maybe 40 then.

Edited by Reaps989
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Lots of good discussion. There is a strategy in the works, but I want to hold back the details till we get the combat systems in and can see how things are working.

Thanks,

Matt

On 5/16/2020 at 11:27 AM, MattScott said:

Hi all,

Lots of good discussion. There is a strategy in the works, but I want to hold back the details till we get the combat systems in and can see how things are working.

Thanks,

Matt

Only a few little things.

• Mutation : Illumination - Mediation 5 should be 123 requirement not 121
  • Skill : Dirty Tricks - Kneecap needs it's dispel ranks checked as prior to shutdown it could be dispelled by Preservation (Empathic) which is not a snare dispel/break
  • Skill : Power & Rifle/Pistol/Melee : Should fix the tooltip (which was clientside now serverside) showing it as 6.07% rather than 6.09% and weapon skill being .91% as I found an old conversation about Allarik (spellcheck) stating the scaling and what he went with to "tone down power".
Edited by NysekZePope

Thank you Matt for this update. It has been needed for along time. My hat is off to you and the team.

• Like 1

I check FE forums everyday for news, and its getting more active as time passes, makes me happy to see things moving forward, slowly but surely we will have FE back bois 🙂

Aprecciate all the work Matt and the team are putting into making this a reality, Thanks!

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 4:08 AM, Coressar said:

Lets have 2 servers, Fresh Start and Old Gear. You can enjoy your old gear for about 3 days then you will be so bored and alone because 99.9% of the game population will be on the Fresh start server. Who knows could be all kinds of new things to do and see during the leveling process. maybe even new level cap and endgame content

Ok so there will be about 30 or if you are lucky 40 players in total online. That is 99.9% of FE population before it shut down right? WOW!!! That makes it totally worth while having 2 servers.

FE never had enough population to require 2 servers before it went offline, not even at its peak. It won't require 2 if it makes it back. It just isn't a game that is that popular with the majority of gamers.

On 5/13/2020 at 5:36 PM, RN86 said:

It wasn't boring because they had many alts or because they could grind to 55 in a few days. It was boring because FEs end game was very, very lacking. Raising lvl cap 100 isn't going to stop people having alts. It would actually drive some players away. It would also mean an increase in alts because of people requiring many more to go into certain areas that are lvl capped (if the game stayed the same as before). You really didn't think of that did you?

On 5/16/2020 at 5:27 PM, MattScott said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for all this informations and screenshots, hope the combat system will be interesting and balanced.

Looking forward to the reboot. Came to FE when MxO was killed by SOE. The first years were exciting. Playing had eased off a fair bit as friends disappeared.

I'm glad I'll get back to the wasteland.

• Like 1