MattScott

Dev Update May 2020

Hi everyone,

First, I want to acknowledge that I have been absolutely terrible about providing updates on Fallen Earth.

Certainly COVID-19 has had an impact on the studio's ability to work on multiple titles at once, but this mostly rests on me.

I kept scheduling an update for you guys, and then by the end of a 10-12 work day, I just couldn't seem to find the time.

Second, I want to set expectations (again) for where we are and where we aren't. This project is #3 on our priority list right now.

As a company we can only do so many concurrent projects with the staff we have.

1) We need to get the APB Engine Upgrade out the door. Internally, we have been forced to keep shifting the date out due to performance issues, but we have reached the "all hands on deck" point. This needs to ship, so we can free up developers to focus on other priorities. 

2) After that, we have also committed to a Live stream of Unsung Story for those backers who have waited 5 years to get a glimpse of the game they funded. So the rest of the studio is working overtime to prepare for the June 1st stream.

I want to be clear that Fallen Earth isn't loved any less in the studio. Temporary circumstances have forced us to be very specific where we are putting our resources. The team is excited to get back into the Wastelands, so we can get you guys the game you deserve too. We are still very much in the early, exploratory phase of development where we were testing various solutions to each system that needs to be ported. But here is a description of the short term roadmap to get to our first internal milestone:

- Recreating the terrain

This effort got fairly far along, but there is still work to do. While the basic shape of the terrain is in, there are 2 subsystems that haven't been ported. The first system uses image "stamps" to deform terrain based on where the original designers placed them. These stamps create more interesting geometry and help break up the height mapped look of what we have now. The second system uses nodes that form lines and areas to deform terrain for roads, hills, lakes, and other areas where geometry has been "carved" away by the remnants of humanity to build their structures.

- Terrain texture layers

This technology has gotten quite a bit better since Fallen Earth was written. The team was starting to identify the strategy for "splatting" or compositing textures on the terrain to create more variation and interest as the player moves through different ecosystems or biomes.

- Foliage rendering

This is likely one of the biggest areas where I think we can make the world of Fallen Earth feel more realistic. Foilage systems have become so much more powerful and now contain more realistic looking plants and trees. The team was exploring how to adapt the game's foliage data so it could be applied into Unity's systems. This combined with the above terrain enhancements should be impressive in the final product.

- Streaming the terrain and objects

The original code was very good at rendering chunks of terrain with only the nearest objects to you. In the new code, we've gone with an entirely new way of chunking up the map that will require us to stream in pieces as you run around. We had just started experimenting with a couple techniques, before the devs got pulled onto other projects.

NOTE: We have a basic demo for the terrain that I took screenshots from, and this runs extremely slow because all of the terrain and objects across the entire world of FE are rendered.

- Fixes to imported assets

We also found some bugs in our importer that created inverted normal maps, didn't assign textures properly, or created rigs wrong. We were in the process of fixing these bugs, so we could delete the imported assets and reimport everything from scratch. Then we can re-run the process that builds the various layers to the map, so we can prep streaming.

- Character assembly

With all the pieces for characters imported, the team had started work on the code that assembles the player with the proper body proportions, head, tattoos, clothes and items. We hit an immediate snag on supporting "selection sets". These are lists of faces on the model that can be shown or hidden by name. The original code used them to hide the areas that are covered up by clothes.

- Basic movement prototype

This is our first milestone for the project. With all of the above tasks completed, the plan is to (1) assemble a character (2) load into the world and (3) run around the environment with active collisions preventing you from walking through objects. This wont be connected to any servers or running any multiplayer code. It's just a milestone to test everything all together and see how it looks.

With all of that in mind, I thought it would be fun to post some WIP screenshots for classic Fallen Earth locations, so you could see how some of this is coming along.

The shots below show the assembled terrain, buildings, objects and props for the entire world. You'll notice in the upper right hand corner, that we're sticking with the game's original coordinate system. This allows us to hop around the map to inspect things. There are no terrain textures yet because the layering system hasn't been implemented. Just imagine this is Fallen Earth in winter 🙂. Oddly, that effect is enhanced by a good number of the objects that are embedded too low into the ground. This is because we're still missing those two subsystems that I mentioned above that deform the terrain in smaller areas. You'll also see some texturing artifacts on the buildings and objects. Everything looked good as we inspected a couple buildings at a time during the import process. But when we assembled the whole map we found areas that still needed work in the importer.

Clinton F.A.R.M.

clinton-farm01.PNG

clinton-farm02.PNG

Embry Crossroads

embry01.PNG

embry02.PNG

Los Alamos

los-alamos.PNG

Haven

haven.PNG

Watchtower

watchtower.PNG

Odenville

odenville.PNG

And a bit of a fail with Boneclaw… Apparently the ramps for this area are heavily carved out from the terrain, so much of it is buried.

boneclaw.PNG

I appreciate your patience.

Stay safe.

Thanks,

Matt 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

I'll be the first to say that communication on the priority list, a short term road map, as well as a few WIP screenshots is better than no communication or updates at all. Even if the post originally had "Thanks, Matt" before the final screenshot. 😉

None the less, the screenshots no doubt bring back memories and nostalgia and I guarantee a lot of the FE lovers who still check in will enjoy. I for one cannot wait to step into a test realm or see some live streams in the future. Keep up the great work, excited to see more progress updates on FE and other entities over the course of the next year.

-Bla

• Like 5

Interesting to see this. This was always the best approach for any chance to bring Fallen Earth back to it's former glory. Thanks for the information and update.

• Like 1

This is absolutely incredible to see. Thank you for the insight and attention Matt, we all eagerly await the return of FE.

• Like 1

Thank you for giving us an update.  Waiting for FE to return.  Just wish we could have played it during this Pandemic.  Anyhow, lets get this ball rolling !

• Like 2

Nice to see some progress, tho a shame FE is still shackled to APB.

• Thanks 1

Do they plan on re-establishing the original factions?  (allies, enemies, special abilities and gear, etc?)

Aint played since back when the factions were actually a thing, but I heard they changed that years later, so that faction no longer mattered.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FayWray said:

Nice to see some progress, tho a shame FE is still shackled to APB.

if it wasnt for apb fallen earth would have been offline 1-3 years earlier than it was shutdown

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HardStyler3 said:

if it wasnt for apb fallen earth would have been offline 1-3 years earlier than it was shutdown

Thats debatable, if Gamersfirst hadnt abandoned FE to try and port APB onto Playstation so they could cash in on the old GTA it could have been very different, when FE hit Steam numbers went thru the roof (so many players you couldnt find traders or missions on the map, solid players until you turned off their markers) but instead of working to keep the players all the income and work was siphoned off to APB, leaving FE to wither.

• Thanks 1

is it bad that i know were all the camera angles are based off still, and were most of the missions are just by looking at the screen shots. im just impressed that it's so differnt looking but i can still tell what town or sector thats in with out looking at the title of the screen shot as well as navagtive it without even being there. your doing a good job over there matt.

• Like 2

I am getting lots of feedback from players in our discord about how happy they are for an update.  Thank you for posting the update,Be safe and keep up the good work. We are all very excited.

• Like 3

So glad to see FallenEarth being brought back to life. Thanks for all your work into making this a reality. So anxious to play it *-*

after reading Matts post all i can say is cyasoon 😀

When this will be live i might take the ship with you guys.

Embry crossroads is looking nice, Makes me wanna climb the roof again with a horse ; )

Good times, FE for Game Of The Year

On 08.05.2020 at 10:25, MattScott said:

Привет всем,

Во-первых, я хочу признать, что я был абсолютно ужасен в предоставлении обновлений на Fallen Earth.

Конечно, COVID-19 оказал влияние на способность студии работать над несколькими играми одновременно, но это в основном зависит от меня.

Я продолжал планировать обновление для вас, ребята, и затем, к концу 10-12 рабочих дней, я просто не мог найти время.

Во-вторых, я хочу установить (опять же) ожидания относительно того, где мы находимся, а где нет. Этот проект сейчас № 3 в нашем списке приоритетов.

Как компания, мы можем выполнять столько параллельных проектов только с нашими сотрудниками.

1) Нам нужно получить обновление APB Engine за дверью. Внутренне мы были вынуждены продолжать сдвигать дату из-за проблем с производительностью, но мы достигли точки «все руки на колоде». Это необходимо доставить, чтобы мы могли освободить разработчиков, чтобы сосредоточиться на других приоритетах. 

2) После этого мы также взяли на себя обязательство по прямой трансляции Unsung Story для тех покровителей, которые ждали 5 лет, чтобы получить представление о игре, которую они финансировали. Поэтому остальная часть студии работает сверхурочно, чтобы подготовиться к трансляции 1 июня.

Я хочу прояснить, что Fallen Earth больше не любима в студии. Временные обстоятельства заставили нас быть очень конкретными, куда мы вкладываем наши ресурсы. Команда взволнована, чтобы вернуться в Пустоши, поэтому мы можем дать вам, ребята, игру, которую вы тоже заслуживаете. Мы все еще находимся на ранней исследовательской фазе разработки, где мы тестировали различные решения для каждой системы, которую необходимо перенести. Но вот описание краткосрочной дорожной карты, чтобы добраться до нашей первой внутренней вехи:

- воссоздание местности

Это усилие продвинулось довольно далеко, но впереди еще много работы. В то время как основная форма ландшафта находится внутри, есть две подсистемы, которые не были перенесены. Первая система использует «штампы» изображений для деформации местности в зависимости от того, где их разместили оригинальные дизайнеры. Эти штампы создают более интересную геометрию и помогают разбить изображение по высоте на то, что мы имеем сейчас. Вторая система использует узлы, которые формируют линии и области, чтобы деформировать местность для дорог, холмов, озер и других областей, где геометрия была «вырезана» остатками человечества, чтобы построить свои структуры.

- Текстурные слои ландшафта

Эта технология стала немного лучше с момента написания Fallen Earth. Команда начинала определять стратегию «разбрызгивания» или наложения текстур на местности, чтобы создать больше вариаций и интереса, когда игрок перемещается по различным экосистемам или биомам.

- рендеринг листвы

Вероятно, это одна из самых больших областей, где, я думаю, мы можем сделать мир Падшей Земли более реалистичным. Системы защиты от коррозии стали намного более мощными и теперь содержат более реалистично выглядящие растения и деревья. Команда изучала, как адаптировать данные игровой листвы, чтобы их можно было применять в системах Unity. Это в сочетании с вышеупомянутыми улучшениями ландшафта должно быть впечатляющим в конечном продукте.

- Потоковая местность и объекты

Исходный код был очень хорош при рендеринге кусков местности только с ближайшими к вам объектами. В новом коде мы использовали совершенно новый способ разбиения карты на части, который потребует от нас потоковой передачи по частям, когда вы бегаете. Мы только начали экспериментировать с парой техник, пока разработчики не занялись другими проектами.

ПРИМЕЧАНИЕ: у нас есть базовая демонстрация для местности, с которой я сделал скриншоты, и она работает очень медленно, потому что рендерится вся местность и объекты по всему миру FE.

- Исправления в импортируемых активах

Мы также обнаружили некоторые ошибки в нашем импортере, которые создавали инвертированные карты нормалей, неправильно назначали текстуры или неправильно создавали риги. Мы находились в процессе исправления этих ошибок, поэтому мы могли удалить импортированные ресурсы и заново импортировать все с нуля. Затем мы можем повторно запустить процесс, который создает различные слои на карте, чтобы мы могли подготовить потоковое воспроизведение.

- Сборка персонажей

Со всеми импортированными фигурами для персонажей команда начала работу над кодом, который собирает игрока с правильными пропорциями тела, головой, татуировками, одеждой и предметами. Мы сразу же наткнулись на поддержку «наборов выбора». Это списки лиц на модели, которые можно показать или скрыть по имени. Оригинальный код использовал их, чтобы скрыть области, которые покрыты одеждой.

- Базовый прототип механизма

Это наша первая веха в проекте. Выполнив все вышеперечисленные задачи, план состоит в том, чтобы (1) собрать персонажа (2) загрузить в мир и (3) бегать вокруг окружающей среды с активными столкновениями, мешающими вам ходить сквозь объекты. Это не будет связано с любыми серверами или запускать любой многопользовательский код. Это всего лишь веха, чтобы проверить все вместе и посмотреть, как это выглядит.

Учитывая все это, я подумал, что было бы интересно опубликовать несколько скриншотов WIP для классических локаций Fallen Earth, чтобы вы могли увидеть, как это происходит.

На снимках ниже показана собранная местность, здания, предметы и предметы для всего мира. В верхнем правом углу вы заметите, что мы придерживаемся оригинальной системы координат игры. Это позволяет нам прыгать по карте для осмотра вещей. Текстур ландшафта еще нет, потому что система наложения не была реализована. Только представьте, что это Падшая Земля зимой🙂, Как ни странно, этот эффект усиливается большим количеством объектов, которые слишком низко врезаны в землю. Это потому, что нам все еще не хватает тех двух подсистем, о которых я упоминал выше, которые деформируют местность в небольших областях. Вы также увидите несколько текстурных артефактов на зданиях и объектах. Все выглядело хорошо, когда мы проверяли несколько зданий за один раз во время процесса импорта. Но когда мы собрали всю карту, мы нашли области, которые все еще нуждались в работе в импортере.

Клинтон ФАРМ

Clinton-farm01.PNG

Clinton-farm02.PNG

Эмбри Перекресток

embry01.PNG

embry02.PNG

Лос Аламос

лос-alamos.PNG

убежище

haven.PNG

сторожевая башня

watchtower.PNG

Odenville

odenville.PNG

И что-то вроде неудачи с Boneclaw ... Очевидно, что пандусы для этой области сильно вырезаны из местности, так что большая часть их похоронена.

boneclaw.PNG

Я ценю ваше терпение.

Оставайтесь в безопасности.

Спасибо,

Matt 

Super.

• Like 1

Holy feces! What a great update. And a lot of work to create it. Thanks, Matt.

Thank you for your update. It is a shame that Fallen Earth has taken such a low priority since I have never liked the game APB. I am looking forward to seeing something in the years to come.

Thank you for the updates! 😀 I need FE baaaackkkkkkk

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Candyrose said:

Thank you for your update. It is a shame that Fallen Earth has taken such a low priority since I have never liked the game APB. I am looking forward to seeing something in the years to come.

True, tho it definitely had better micro transactions... FE would've had a lot more funding with properly prices items as well as just a broad selection, afterall they had two individuals on the art team. Tho I enjoy the work they did on "The Unknown" given that I don't think they could add a new model.