Sign in to follow this  
EzOn3

Make and option to disable or control the volume of Death Themes

This isn't a new suggestion, but it's something I would really like to see added to the engine upgrade since you guys are already coding stuff.

There are a couple workarounds to disable death themes, but they all have major drawbacks.

Blocking the player: This isn't really an option IMO. You only fit about 50 people in the block list and once blocked you can no longer talk to them.

Renaming the "Music" folder: This stops all custom made music from playing including music used in cars, social district and boom boxes. When updating APB, it will re-download the Music folder unless it's renamed back before updating which is a hassle.

If you dig through the forums, you can find a few suggestions on how to make the death themes less obnoxious. One practical method is just to have the MVP's death theme play at the end of the mission.

But considering how loud, annoying and obnoxious most people death themes are, I would prefer to not hear them at all. But... I would like to be able to hear custom made music that can be used in cars and boom boxes. I really like the idea of making my own music, but if I have the choice between (death themes and music) or (no death themes and no music), I'll take the latter hands down.

Suggestion:
I think ideally, there would be a separate volume control for death themes that doesn't affect custom made music. Although the easiest way would probably be just adding a check box in the audio section like: Play Death Themes ([default] Yes / No)

If a user selects not to play death themes, their death themes won't play for other people either. If they want their death themes to be heard, they would have to leave it on Enabled and be able to hear others.

I know some people put a lot of time and effort into making their death themes and want other people to hear them, but they are far out numbered by the people with the "RIIIING HELLO HELLO HELLO RIIIIING HELLO RIIING" themes.

When I rename the Music folder effectively disabling death themes, nobody is the wiser. They have no clue their super annoying theme isn't blasting into my headphones. All I'm asking is for a built in option to disable them or adjust their volume to 0%.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Could not agree more - a way to disable music would be much appreciated. The same goes for having to endure the often incredibly loud and annoying music players often have blasting out of their vehicles - if they want to have music playing in their cars fine but do not force it on others please!

Like the OP said you could always remove the entire instruments folder, replace it or rename it, which isn't totally even "legit" to do, but.. at the end, yeah, you can't just ignore everyone because they have annoying death themes.

As I don't think your idea is bad, I think themes is part of the game. It's one of the things that makes dieing annoying.

As theme maker, I often get whispers from people saying that they like my theme. 

For the annoying death themes, I usually ignore them, and then unignore them later. Perhaps they could make it easier to temporary mute someone's death theme.

• Like 1

I could not agree more here.

Its super annoying when you have 1 or 2 people constantly killing you in a mission hearing their themes.10+ times in a  match it really irritates the daylights out of me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cyral said:

I could not agree more here.

Its super annoying when you have 1 or 2 people constantly killing you in a mission hearing their themes.10+ times in a  match it really irritates the daylights out of me.

Thats the point it should motivate you to play harder and die less :D

the only thing the game should be able to do is max the volume and cut off those trolly thees with high pithces and pure noise at max volume.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 7:42 AM, LilyV3 said:

Thats the point it should motivate you to play harder and die less 😄

the only thing the game should be able to do is max the volume and cut off those trolly thees with high pithces and pure noise at max volume.

Looks like 2 me your 1 of those players that constantly Dethreats in a Bronze District just 2 keep an insanely high kill count. 

I think, not so hard to add option > adjusting/regulation the theme sound after your death. 🎧🔊

Someone create a list of interesting ideas for the game...

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 9:08 AM, Infinito said:

It's one of the things that makes dieing annoying.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:42 AM, LilyV3 said:

Thats the point it should motivate you to play harder and die less 😄

IMO, the respawn system is enough punishment.

The people who like the themes: Leave it on

The people who don't like the themes, but want others to hear their theme: Leave it on

While the rest of us who really don't like them: Turn it off

For the last group, they probably already have their Music folder renamed, so the only difference would be a less hassle in-game option.

Putting aside that some themes are made just to make people's ears bleed, I would turn it off just to be more immersive.

I think a volume slider would be the best option.

Edited by EzOn3
  • Like 1