notHyx

Any tricks/ways to improve latency?

Hey, I'm from Asia, currently experiencing 260ms in Jericho and 330ms in Citadel.

I'm wondering if there are ways to improve latency(even slightly) while waiting for world consolidation?

-Thanks

Ouch, sounds like your from midland Asia.

Probably not... you can get better bandwitch from your internet provider but it will still be limited by state of international connections and where this connection which will go through (which is outside your control) and also obviously distance itself...

Slow connection surely won't help but if your connections is at 10 mb/s download speed and 1 mb/s upload speed... you really can't do anything.

• Thanks 1

Could try wtfast or another service to get better routing, but your latency will still be over 200ms. I'd wait until there are more servers available. Playing with that much latency will mean you get killed when you think you're behind cover, and vice versa when you get kills.

• Thanks 1

Pretty much any players who are playing from Oceania or Asia are screwed while connecting to NA east coast districts ( New York server) Expecting ping 230 -300ms.

You probably get lower latency connecting to West coast district ( California) expecting ping 150-200ms. That's the lowest ping you can get!

The problem is there's not enough population for players to play on both location. So far the east coast are usually populated with Brazilians and Americans + Mexicans. You may have to force yourself in playing with high latency, if you wanted to play apb, but so far 80% would have quit due to much poor experience. 

They should really bring back the Dallas district at least its slightly lower than East coast.

you can try vpn to fix routing issue.

Edited by Deadliest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Routing via VPN will only do so much. You may get to the server in less hops than your normal route, which could help with packets and some latency- but overall it's the distance that will always be the culprit.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the answer guys, I've tried all your suggestion

Vpn: doesn't notice any change

Changing district to west: this one did work but west district are full of goldies so I keep getting raged and go back to bronze east 😕

Anyways guys really  appreciated the help!

Dear Goddess, why is there no block / auto-kick feature for everyone who's above certain latency threshold or instability. I can't imagine is any fun playing on 350ms and I am quite sure you are ruining experience for other players...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Resine said:

Dear Goddess, why is there no block / auto-kick feature for everyone who's above certain latency threshold or instability. I can't imagine is any fun playing on 350ms and I am quite sure you are ruining experience for other players...

its actually still pretty fun if youre decent-good. Keep your useless suggestions to yourself.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Resine said:

There is for other games, but it makes no sense to enforce in APB. Most other games also have a larger number of servers and areas to connect to. This isn't the same for APB. They also fixed a bit of the netcoding and prediction which used to make most games against brazillian players a real headache.

I am not sure how APB's network works, but from personal experience it tries to compensate latency issues for lagging party too much. Imho if you have high latency, game shouldn't do anything to help you out, you shall live in the past server time and die before you will peak the corner to shoot as bullets of people with normal latency were registered first.

I understand it's harsh critique towards people not fortunate enough due to their localization or connection issues itself but you shouldn't optimize the game for people that are not meant to play it causing problems to entire server population.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Resine said:

I am not sure how APB's network works, but from personal experience it tries to compensate latency issues for lagging party too much. Imho if you have high latency, game shouldn't do anything to help you out, you shall live in the past server time and die before you will peak the corner to shoot as bullets of people with normal latency were registered first.

I understand it's harsh critique towards people not fortunate enough due to their localisation or connection issues itself but you shouldn't optimise the game for people that are not meant to play it causing problems to entire server population.

Kicking high-ping players only makes sense if there are low-ping options for those players. A game with only 2 server locations on two continents has no business arbitrarily determining who can and who can't play based on ping alone.

I swear, kids these days thinking anything above 25ms is like playing in the stoneage. I have still been combat effective with pings of 300-500ms, and it's only when it gets truly north of that do you really start getting the "playing in the past" effect on you. It's just like framerate - you get used to what you have. Someone going from 25ms to 250ms will notice a difference, but if you're used to 250ms, you learn to play with it, yes you won't get to MLG status with 250ms but players expecting that level of play from everyone in a game like APB are the ones who need to be removed from the server.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Resine said:

I understand it's harsh critique towards people not fortunate enough due to their localization or connection issues itself but you shouldn't optimize the game for people that are not meant to play it causing problems to entire server population.

No. There is nothing even close to a high ping advantage in APB. It does not compensate for it well at all.

You pretty much have to add your ping to your ttk in a lot of circumstances, you'll die behind walls constantly, you have less reaction time to get out of the way of vehicles and will die to them even if they don't hit you, you have added delay on your vehicle driving, etc etc etc.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Resine said:

Never had an issue vsing high 200ms+players when I had 1ms, pretty much me vs the whole of asia on HAN 2014 when the server was in Australia, everyone died soo quick. 

you don't get any benefits when you play on high latency, the only problem is players who are losing a lot of packets, can cause hitreg issues.

Edited by Deadliest

got a free room @ my apartment you can move in you just gotta bring your own pc pls im lonely

Playing with a high latency isn't really that bad TBH, it's just annoying that everytime I encounter a close call combat, my mind keeps telling me "If I had low latency, I could've win this fight easily"