MattScott

Highlight video of the APB 2.1 Beta with Q&A

Hi everyone,

For those that missed the streams, the Q&A or my bad posture yesterday, we decided to edit down the demo and Q&A on Little Orbit's channel.

You can see the highlights here:

A full transcript of the Q&A section of the video was made by @Kevkof and is posted further in this thread.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 29
  • Thanks 17

I missed a good chunk of the Q&A - can't wait to get back up to speed

wish there was more time for the Q&A... there are still some questions unanswered and in general just talking more about APBs future would be great 👍

anyway, thanks for doing this LO. appreciate the communication and transparency as always!

36 minutes ago, Nitronik said:

I missed a good chunk of the Q&A - can't wait to get back up to speed

32 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

wish there was more time for the Q&A... there are still some questions unanswered and in general just talking more about APBs future would be great 👍

anyway, thanks for doing this LO. appreciate the communication and transparency as always!

I definitely want to do more of these. This is only our 3rd Q&A in almost 2 years.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Thank you very much Matt, i misseed the entire day because i had to do real life things, so.. i am pretty happy to be able to look into this.

Very much appreciated.

Like Snubnose said there were many other questions that hasn't been answered or asked but i am sure we will have more time to go through all of them.

Thanks again ❤️

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing one of my favorites games from oblivion of old tech 😄

Cant wait to work on more camouflage uniforms 😛

• Like 1

I love the idea at 16:40 to put in console and PC crossplay into social (hopefully not PVP obviously).

Having the console players have access to the PC player auctions could only be a positive both parties. PC players would be double rewarded with a super lively console voip experience lol  😄

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the awesome Q&A matt, The first one felt liie you were still setting up, the second one was better

But that last Q&A was really on point, it really felt like you were connected with the community on that stream and answered all the biggest questions straight foward, it is really awesome to know that the face of little orbit finally seems to understand and know the point of view of the people that have been playing and loving APB for years now.

I was really pleased with it overall, keep the same pace, and approach, and you will end up with overwhelming positivity from the community pushing you towards sucess!

Edited by Ketog
  • Like 5

I did not expect the video to start like that but I am pleasantly surprised. I loved some of the improved detail on outfits and how crisp they looked in the designer. Definitely interested in hearing more information about how naming will be handled. Also when Matt said he would've released a public version of the Beta yesterday I almost died lmao.

I am also very happy to hear about the acknowledgement of the Midtown project— it's obvious a ton of work has been put into it and I think that LO can gain so much if it's feasible to implement technically. If it gets to that point it would save a lot of development time and would be a crazy addition to the game. It's free real estate :^).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got a few more questions that were not answered yet (I think):

what about world consolidation? how close are we to being able to play all around the world and not being locked behind a region?

will we be able to play with our own, already existing characters from LIVE in the open beta?

are there still plans to implement a saturation slider to the options? (before or after the update)

regarding dynamic lighting for cars, I've asked matt in a PM a few month ago, so anyone that's interested:

"We are looking at this possible feature after we launch the Engine Upgrade. The main problem is the bad performance for the game at night.

But I agree, we could use some visual upgrades."

anything you want to add to that, matt? just asking in case something's changed. 🙂

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Shini said:

PC players would be double rewarded with a super lively console voip experience lol  😄

Hmmm, isn't most of the console voip experience just people that aren't aware that they're broadcasting and you hear fire alarms, vacuum cleaners and shitty rap music in the background?

The few times I've been on console it's been gangs of players all bantering with each other. When PC voip used to work, micspamming music in social was commonplace way before console versions came out.

Edited by Shini

Man one thing that they should definitely implement is the ability to replace textures client side.

Something I noticed about the beta stream was that the textures are still NOT up to par. There seems to be an issue with specular maps on character models (Should be an easy fix) there are UV issues (Should be an easy fix) and there are some super amateurish textures in places. (See the windows in Asylum, see the 'Asylum'  archway text)

That being said, I think they shouldn't be focusing on things like that. Just focus on getting the engine out and just keep the textures replaceable when it's released.

I've said it once, I'll say it again, we have some REALLY talented players in this game when it come to digital art.  LO would be foolish to waste a free asset like that.

Edited by StunStick
Oops

It's so fun seeing this much new APB:R content on Youtube. Lots of views too, there's a ton of people waiting in the wings to get back to the game or try it out once it runs right on the new engine.

• Like 1

thanks Matt ®™ ,

I watched some of shini's stream but couldn't stay awake for the Q&A as it was at 4 am 

performance wise it looks pretty good though ,good stuff

• Like 1

It runs better than expected. I didn't notice the typical freezes every minute like you get on the live version.

One thing visually I didn't like is the blue hue on shadows. It doesn't look right. There's also too much bloom in general.

3 hours ago, Shini said:

The few times I've been on console it's been gangs of players all bantering with each other. When PC voip used to work, micspamming music in social was commonplace way before console versions came out.

Did PC voip ever work correctly?

It's always been super quiet because for some reason APB is extremely loud, while voip maintains normal volume, and if you turn down the volume (apb only has one slider) it also turns down voip to an almost inaudible volume.

13 minutes ago, GhosT said:

Did PC voip ever work correctly?

yes

Great Q/A!

A lot of questions were answered and the answers were right on point. It looks like this game will have a lot of improvements as some are already planned and a lot seems to come down the road.

Hopefully we will see the game rise from the dead once more sort to speak 🙂

Also thanks a lot on talking about Midtown a bit @MattScott 

I am very happy with your answer and I will keep working for this project so it may become usable if it's ever going to be needed 

Much love

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the highlights video! Ive watched the footage from some of the streams now, and i gotta say so far GordoIsMyName had the best one. Hes taking his time talking about the changes and showing the map and graphics and stuff, not just focusing on shooting other players. Consider making him the host of the next Q&A ^^