Sign in to follow this  
StevenDeckard

Increase group size for clans?

The current standard group size of 4 players max, is very limiting, if one wants to play together with more than 3 members of one's clan. I am pretty sure that other APB clans might feel the same way and that they find it equally annoying that one can not invite more than 3 other clan members into one's group.

Hence my suggestion that clans gain an increase in standard group sizes and thus the ability to invite more members into a  single group. It should not be a problem in my opinion because many "teams" that are thrown together in normal missions do count more than 4 players on each team. That way clans would gain the ability to better play together (do not get me wrong members in our clan still try to play together, but not really having everyone in the same group still is very limiting).

Anyway I wonder how other clans see this issue and would like to hear your opinions. Thanks!

Edited by StevenDeckard

Why should it be a clan specific feature?
I'd love to have big groups, even cross-faction groups would be supercool for some community hosted events
Also, alot of people hate missions with alot of players, so i'd just disable rolling into missions with 5 or more group members

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yeedman said:

Why should it be a clan specific feature?

Cause district missions are hella cancer, also how are you ever supposed to get an actual normal mission with a group of let's say 10 people?!

Currently it's rather difficult to get varied opposition playing in a 4 player premade group, usually it's the same 2-3 other groups in the whole district you fight against (unless one premade group leaves and is replaced by others). Increasing the limit of groups wouldn't help shorten that wait time nor give you a variety. Consider it a bit like challenger rank in League of Legends. Up there you usually wait for about 10-30 minutes for a match just to play with the same people, because no one else matches you (nor your hypothetical skill). Same here, no one else matches your 4 player group except for a marginal amount of player in the district.

2 hours ago, Yeedman said:

I'd love to have big groups, even cross-faction groups would be supercool for some community hosted events

Now I believe we should be given an option for all of that (bigger grups, cross-faction) at the expense of actually playing missions. So the "mission" limit would be 4 players, exceeding that (or grouping up with opposed faction player) would block your group from being able to ready up. I imagine the community would quickly come up with clever ideas to use the higher group count for the events and pure entertainment.

The reason why I suggested it as something clan specific is, that it seems unlikely that random players would group up this way (except if they would be people from one's the friends-list). Clan members on the other hand are bound to want to play with their clan-mates.

While I do see problems getting normal matches I was not even thinking about normal missions, rather about "open world" missions (would LOVE to see more open crime mission possibilities, with dynamic mission parts that include vehicle pursuits, crime scene investigations, evading the cops,etc.), which I do like a LOT more than the normal ones to be honest. For example our police rp clan loves patrolling the streets, just like cops tend to do IRL, and it would be much more fun to do, if the group could be bigger. So instead of having two 4-player-groups trying their best to more or less cooperate their patrol, having an 8-player-group being able to do so much more efficiently.

Edited by StevenDeckard

Because matchmaking is already terrible for some as it is. The other day i waited 15-20 minutes in a full district to get a 2v2 vs 2 golds with a new player on my team. Don't think i've even played in a 4 man group for years since it takes forever to get opposed.

@Crusadeer - Might be a bit off topic, but if you do not mind my asking but what servers do you play on? Our clan plays on the EU servers and we regularly have games with more than 4 vs. 4 players being pitched against eachothers, so something like 4 vs. 4 is usually no problem (that most of the opposition is made up of "golds" and "fake silvers" (i.e. dethreaters) thesedays is another matter that seems to get worse each day - a topic that is also - sometimes heatedly - discussed in several threads on the forum).

12 hours ago, StevenDeckard said:

@Crusadeer - Might be a bit off topic, but if you do not mind my asking but what servers do you play on? Our clan plays on the EU servers and we regularly have games with more than 4 vs. 4 players being pitched against eachothers, so something like 4 vs. 4 is usually no problem (that most of the opposition is made up of "golds" and "fake silvers" (i.e. dethreaters) thesedays is another matter that seems to get worse each day - a topic that is also - sometimes heatedly - discussed in several threads on the forum).

Playing on Citadel.

On 4/12/2020 at 1:13 AM, Cuve said:

Cause district missions are hella cancer, also how are you ever supposed to get an actual normal mission with a group of let's say 10 people?!

But how does being in a clan effect that?

Also if their group size is too big for them to get a mission they need to wake up and choose to split into 2 smaller groups.

10 hours ago, WitchQueen said:

But how does being in a clan effect that?

Also if their group size is too big for them to get a mission they need to wake up and choose to split into 2 smaller groups.

The thing is, if you and your buddies take up say 8 slots for your 8 man group then its gonna affect matchmaking for everyone in the district.

8 hours ago, Crusadeer said:

The thing is, if you and your buddies take up say 8 slots for your 8 man group then its gonna affect matchmaking for everyone in the district.

Yeah true but it would make it harder for the 8 man group to get a mission as they'd need a big team to go against. Assuming that the district is fully populated everyone else should be fine.

The point I was making was to someone who replied to someone else who asked why only clans should be able to make groups of 8.

For missions 8 is too big anyway. 4 is only too small when say 5 people log on and are up for missions and 1 person misses out. If 6 people want to do missions then 2 smaller groups of 3 should be fine or they just need to grow up a bit.

It's like when I ask kids at school to get into groups of 3, 4 or 5 and some kids ask 'can we have a 6?' I tell them to just be 2 groups of 3 and sit near each other.

Maybe there can be a mechanic to be linked to another group so when big teams are formed they always try to put friendly groups together.

The servers alredy can't handle 40-40, i don't think is there an easy andclose way to get more than 4 peoples in a group, basing myself from thec actual state, the game needs very much improvements, and any increase of any time need so much attention behind the scenes, because it could break really much the game mechanics and even it's gameplay.

Let's stay chill and wait until engine upgrade wil be completed and we will see, except that, we can still post suggestions, i am more than sure that Lo will make sure to take up and write down some of them and discuss internally about those for maybe a future implement?

Edited by AlishaAzure

Like I said above I have seen bigger teams being pitched against one another (and playing it "lag-wise" was not any worse than when the game decides to select the same mission locations for different teams at the same spots).

My initial question (and idea if you will) revolved around the fact that clans usually like to play together with their own clan-mates (if not they would not be in that clan in the first place).

Let me give you an example: When our cop-clan is out in force, we easily can fill two 4-player groups. As we are a roleplaying clan, it would be very nice to have everyone in one big group, so we could do things together as a "real" group (i.e. know where everyone is), as opposed to two 4-player groups. This would be especially useful for us when we do our normal police-roleplaying stuff (like for example patrol the streets, looking for open world crime, removing abandoned vehicles from roads and impound stolen ones). I am aware that this type of gameplay might not be what most people like, might want or even know is possible or done.

The bottom line would be to give clans at least the option to have/play in bigger groups if they want to, but not to force it either.

Aside from that it would of course be nice to not get any random group or random players as "backup" in normal missions, but have clan-mates in the same district be the first the game adds (if group sizes for clans are not changed). This is the main reason why we almost never call for backup, since one usually ends up with random players despite having one's own clan-mates available too.

(Needless to say, aside from the availability of bigger groups, we would LOVE if more open world crime options for both enforces and criminals would be available, as there are so many possibilities of what could be added, even including dynamic events, making missions more unpredictable and fun for the participants).

Edited by StevenDeckard

13 hours ago, WitchQueen said:

Yeah true but it would make it harder for the 8 man group to get a mission as they'd need a big team to go against. Assuming that the district is fully populated everyone else should be fine.

The point I was making was to someone who replied to someone else who asked why only clans should be able to make groups of 8.

For missions 8 is too big anyway. 4 is only too small when say 5 people log on and are up for missions and 1 person misses out. If 6 people want to do missions then 2 smaller groups of 3 should be fine or they just need to grow up a bit.

It's like when I ask kids at school to get into groups of 3, 4 or 5 and some kids ask 'can we have a 6?' I tell them to just be 2 groups of 3 and sit near each other.

Maybe there can be a mechanic to be linked to another group so when big teams are formed they always try to put friendly groups together.

5 is alright for most people i guess, personally its almost impossible to get oppo in a 4 man group in the higher end of gold as is (unless ofc there is a similarly skilled group of 4 in the district, but playing the same people over and over gets boring). Regardless i think all of this will be obsolete once phasing is implented, we'll just have to suck it up till then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crusadeer said:

5 is alright for most people i guess, personally its almost impossible to get oppo in a 4 man group in the higher end of gold as is (unless ofc there is a similarly skilled group of 4 in the district, but playing the same people over and over gets boring). Regardless i think all of this will be obsolete once phasing is implented, we'll just have to suck it up till then.

I think you may be right