You could literally make a new game at this point, aside from APB. And make it everything APB should be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First of all great work and keep up the good work.  Don't listen to the negative driven people. If anything you can always convert this to your own projects and use it future. By swapping materials and models so you don't get a legal backlash. Other then that it's pretty much yours. Also I ma pretty sure you are learning new things along the way which will come in handy in the future.

I do believe I've seen your works somewhere before and those forums are now closed because I can't find it any more in the bookmarks or those were from someone else.

Someone made new content and ported the entire APB to a newer version of Unreal Engine. But eventually got a backlash from G1 or something can't remember. It was around 2017.

And these were a part of it.

Also I can't believe it that those old Subaru variants and Peugeot hatchback is still in the game files. What were G1 waiting for to release those... Missed opportunity. Even if they would be just props or civ cars. I always hated seeing materials sitting on our hard drives but never used for anything. Hate wasteful things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Timobelk said:

First of all great work and keep up the good work.  Don't listen to the negative driven people. If anything you can always convert this to your own projects and use it future. By swapping materials and models so you don't get a legal backlash. Other then that it's pretty much yours. Also I ma pretty sure you are learning new things along the way which will come in handy in the future.

I do believe I've seen your works somewhere before and those forums are now closed because I can't find it any more in the bookmarks or those were from someone else.

Someone made new content and ported the entire APB to a newer version of Unreal Engine. But eventually got a backlash from G1 or something can't remember. It was around 2017.

Also I can't believe it that those old Subaru variants and Peugeot hatchback is still in the game files. What were G1 waiting for to release those... Missed opportunity. Even if they would be just props or civ cars. I always hated seeing materials sitting on our hard drives but never used for anything. Hate wasteful things.

If only we could test them in a client version, also offline.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Queen of Love said:

If only we could test them in a client version, also offline.....

Hopefully those cars will be finally introduced in the engine port or with other words in the new upcoming version of APB. And eventually made kits for it. There are no more excuses. The old engine is a mess I get it and is limited what it can handle but still, kinda sketchy that those cars just sit there from day one. This updated game should introduce us to tons of new opportunities. Not just the game to look prettier and have more accurate lighting.

• Like 2

THIS IS JUST A PREVIEW

Midtown preview on Unity engine.

This was done just for test

All thanks to @BrandonBranderson!!

More coming soon...

• Like 7

On 9/18/2020 at 5:27 AM, Timobelk said:

I can weigh in on this.  Remaking the game in Unreal 4 wasn't actually Ellix's work.  That was the Phoenix Project by Nekrova, which I do the audio design for.  We didn't get in any legal trouble, but we made the decision to make our own game as a spiritual successor to APB instead of just remaking APB because we came to the realization there would be no way that we could sustain it and we definitely would have gotten into legal issues if we kept going.  When LO took over we had already changed our direction but we talked to Matt and Lixil directly in a Discord call to prove that we weren't using any stolen assets anymore.  There's no bad feelings between LO and Nekrova and the call turned into friendly conversation about the future of APB once we got all the legal stuff out of the way.  All I can really say about what Matt said in that conversation is that APB's future looks bright.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BrandonBranderson said:

I can weigh in on this.  Remaking the game in Unreal 4 wasn't actually Ellix's work.  That was the Phoenix Project by Nekrova, which I do the audio design for.  We didn't get in any legal trouble, but we made the decision to make our own game as a spiritual successor to APB instead of just remaking APB because we came to the realization there would be no way that we could sustain it and we definitely would have gotten into legal issues if we kept going.  When LO took over we had already changed our direction but we talked to Matt and Lixil directly in a Discord call to prove that we weren't using any stolen assets anymore.  There's no bad feelings between LO and Nekrova and the call turned into friendly conversation about the future of APB once we got all the legal stuff out of the way.  All I can really say about what Matt said in that conversation is that APB's future looks bright.

Thank you for the info and insight. I remember following that project then suddenly it just vanished. I don't remember the website, names, just most of the progress.

It's common that most people start with editing already existing materials, games etc, mainly doing mods to learn things then later move onto their own original projects. It's better that way because it's unrealistic to fiddle with someone's IP when there is no support from it or even can result in a legal backlash mainly thanks to greed. Time flies, life is short and people should really think first what to venture into before it becomes a sinkhole. Our dreams and needs are one thing but reality is what makes things actually happen.

I gladly would like to see proper fan made remasters because in most cases companies can't do it or wont, it's mainly lack of passion or simply a dead franchise but if that same fan can get into trouble for it then I rather keep the originals, play those or move on and hope one day there will be a proper remaster or remake, sequel etc. that can bring the old glory back.

I personally worked on some mods or just helped out really and mostly it came to the point we had no control over it and we lost all our progress, if I knew the company will be so evil about it I would never invest my time into it. I wont mention the names, games etc due to several reasons. I got burned out so much in wasting years of work for nothing, I didn't wanted money out of this just to make fans happy and give reason for them to enjoy the game because the base game was broken and unplayable but had a great concept and tools. Companies not just burned down our work but their own products into nonexistence etc. I see this happening more often with others too. So the point is I always say learn on others mistakes and learn to move on. Make your own thing or just do something else with your life. We simply don't have control over certain things and that is it.

Btw where can we find info on that game you guys work on, is there any progress shown publicly or it's all private at the moment.

88927f0464c6e72a89fbcaf94c232d83.jpg

New version of 3D model on Sketchfab

Today while running again around the map I realized there should be much more cover

I really see snipers benefiting from some spots too much..

2bbf524e3a44bfbb8116714084a7fbf2.jpg

Some more rework needed

Edited by Ellix
  • Like 3

umodel_prop22_44a.png

umodel_prop22_1a.png

working on texture :3 at least are mapped now 😄 

Edited by Queen of Love
cause yes.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2020 at 6:41 PM, Ellix said:

c1da21c8fa938d4ebf8b837595ff5bed.png

A fan-made project to bring a new district to APB:Reloaded
____________________________________________________________________________________

Intro

Hello there my name is Nick also known as Ellix. For the past few years I've been working on something that I am really passionate about and would like to share with you today.

This is Project Midtown - A project that I started to work at back in 2015. The idea behind this work is to make a new district for APB:R which will go together with other mission districts. It will bring a brand new area of gameplay for the players and will be a host for 2 new organizations - 1 criminal and 1 enforcer.

Trough the years of development I've posted few threads both on the old APB forum and a new one about this project. In my last thread I asked you guys if I should continue working on this project and what you think in general. I really loved the response which was done with both praise and criticism so I decided that one day I will keep on working on this project and so I did.

Today I stand at a point where I can finally say that the project stands at a good spot to share again! So today it will be shared with with you what's been done so far, what I think will be the future but most of all I would like to hear the response of the community and the developers to see if my work can be actually used in APB:Reloaded or should be something fun that I've made and left aside for good.

I must say that I'm very excited to share this project with old followers and maybe even new ones but please TAKE ALL THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

This is not a professional project, it's not done by the developers of the game and very likely to never be used.

But in any case I'm very excited about my work and would like to hear the community's opinions about it.

So let's begin.

About the work 

Project Midtown was something I started back in 2015 when I was still in high school. It started like something fun that  was done in my spare time and I had no idea at all if it will one day turn into something.

One thing was sure though - I loved this game and always knew that it has much potential. I also loved the APB lore so when I first heard about an unreleased district for APB it was very exciting!
For those who don't know Midtown District is something that was planned and worked on in the early RTW days (RTW aka the original devs of APB).It was never used but some of the assets that were made for that map were later used in Financial district. However it doesn't mean that the district doesn't exist. You have evidence in ingame e-mails and props inside the game that Midtown is real in San Paro!

01e344d1c0bcdb159397eed917bed16c.jpg

b4aef4056adfb21e2edde2d11e9663cf.png

However work on Midtown was never complete. It was nothing less then a test map that never got to a playable point.

The idea however excited me and I was up for discovering more about this district!

I started the project my getting all the data that I could about Midtown.

Like I said there were lots of e-mails that cross-referenced Midtown and there is a lot of information in the game. I gathered a file of info about the district's lore which you can find HERE. All of this is from the game and was a starting point for me.

And so I was ready to start working...

The process

I didn't have any modeling knowledge (Still don't really do). So I decided to try something else.. I looked for easy to use architecture programs that I could use to build a city and stumbled across Sketchup!

Also I didn't model it right away in the Unreal Engine. The reason for that is that APB is using it's own version of Unreal which is hard to make custom content for..

So the best I could do is to make a mockup of a map that can later be used to create the actual map.

For me Sketchup was really easy to get into - it's a very easy program to start building in and I decided that it was good enough for me to try and build few blocks with it.

At first there were many issues with my modeling as I left lots of garbage and artifacts on my creations. I later discovered that there is such thing as flipped faces and so on.

Years passed though since then and I now have a bit more experience with my tools so it's not as messy as it used to be back then..

I learned the tools just by keeping working on Sketchup. Never actually took a class or anything. I just had an idea and some willpower to actually do it..

I never really intended to finish the project so I only did about 1/5 of the whole work from 2015 to 2018. Together with real life issues I abandoned the project completely

However from August 2019 when I finally decided that it's about time for me to finish it and had a lot of free time I said to myself that at least once I MUST finish one big project in my lifetime. So I did.. And for the last half of a year I tried to work as much as I could for about 5-6 hours a day (With breaks of course) and finally last week I came to the point that it feels like something ready.

And although it still feels like there is work to be done I think today is a good point to review the project together with the community.

* Some of you may already seen the progress as I was spamming the Twitch channels of APB with this 😄 *

In the end I think that the thing that cam out of it is something interesting...

Status today

So today I would like to share with you what I have:

bb9cf43da8acc6cffb98c55dc9b4b78f.png

The modeling is ready! All of the buildings are modeled and placed. I also added some props and placeholders for props to make the map a bit more balanced and alive.

This doesn't mean however that the work on it is done:

-There are no windows or shops in the district. It's something that I haven't added because even though I have the models for most of them the size and scale is off and it's not something good if you want to use the map to model it in the engine later.

- There are no textures on the map as I don't own any of APB's materials or know how to UV properly

- I miss some props that should go into some areas. Some of them are vital for balance and for the looks of the place

- Overall balance of the map is not done completely as you need to actually play the game in order to place the objectives at balanced places and also there are areas that can look balanced or unbalanced at first but actually are the opposite while you play

In 2 words lots and lost of smaller and bigger changes in order to make the map usable.

Speaking of usable...

The model is currently a Sketchup creation. It means that it can be exported as a 3D model (For example in FBX format)

I don't actually know what the new APB engine will use - BSP or actual models for the maps however 1 thing is sure..

If it's models - There still should be UV and shadowmaps done for all of the map

If it's BSP - You need to convert everything into BSP which is not a 1 click process..It actually requires you to place the 3D model and use it as a guide to reproduce it in BSP.

In both cases it's not as easy as to just take what I've built and use it and I understand that.

But I hope that I've made something that can be used to build something that is actually usable later ingame

Here are some more images both from a mockup in Unreal 4 that represent the map

5fdeecf74eae459677b79e2a652b329e.jpg

9f64975f690c9653101269d4868e6705.jpg

48efbd6b9fce94da342e52a1477cfce9.jpg

4d259f4adf27ed459bfac23e68bb04e6.jpg

3d3299d8c4ceead37e6fc08ff461e1ad.jpg

7e35e523a04b82a78b9ed3ed963e9084.jpg

11dadbf1a699543e2c46bf96b4169529.jpg

a0979a0ea43ef4f4dc7c2887c29cd5ec.jpg

8333d4916d0980628310316709164948.jpg

e0e498b4d0f46130e11ab58d68f3831b.jpg

c273e3905fc82598e155b39fe89c99c0.jpg

04caaed4ab3bf503353ae93b7c3ca96e.jpg

f54bf46e657d3f5889128726bc371663.jpg

00aa74a06fa1e5f7b5c4cb46ffdd78d4.jpg

faefe9952514af255a4a48307b8a6460.jpg

c207352e7dcb81f684d8ac5fabcffab6.jpg

d693c189f05af7c4c0d2587697414300.jpg

Some Midtown lore and how the map is built

So as I mentioned earlier I was using the released top down map and the ingame e-mails to make Midtown. (Which again you can read about from this file)

I tried to stick as much as possible to the lore of the district.However few changes that are made are:

- The overall layout of the map (It's similar to the original but changed)

- I took the original Midtown map layout flipped it and changed the roads but kept overall oval shape

- Bankside is now actually..at the BANK (shore) side which is West and not East.

Overall though I tried to stick to the lore:

e8cb32b3c1efea7d9f69dcf06ea1b237.png

This for example is where the district is located according to a map found in the game.

Some of the building and spots I made from the lore are:

Letsby Court in Pocket

e34a8c7eb5321014c754330115b92262.png

Birches out by the campus (Suburbs)

df4543cb8c37f6f64e9a58d0b687e63b.png

University of John Holland and a campus near it

13d29e686b1b8995dbb4b187ccf4e217.png

Opera House in Northen Quarter (Cinema nearby as well)

123e285829c2b6899c24452d13a66a4d.png

Satori strip (Which was modeled after an old concept art)

22f810e6159e0a90f715f9287ad1850b.png

21a26effe8b2681f508ccc9bfb63d2bb.jpg

Site of an old hospital next to Satori

fc229bd4c97128d5ebd3e38e0b6d859b.png

Joker gunworks old factory 

52a99a20d4f23247d4dcad7b5113caef.png

And of course..

Green street and Green Projects (Gang turf)

32b2d74e8dfc49721b2edc0ec5be4f07.png

There are more..

I tried to stick to the lore as much as I could. Even a bit of so beloved by LO - Red Hill is showing.. 🙂 

I also left a spot for something different.The big cyan square on EAST of Midtown is actually a SPPD keep HQ.

I though it will be a good idea to reuse the enforcer social district at least as a distant scenery

If not as a (Not inside actual district) Fightclub map later on..

EnforcerSocialDistrict_3.jpg 

In general I think my creation will fit with the existing lore..

Size

Overall the gamplay area is about Financial's size

SBS.png

Organizations and contacts

The two organizations for Midtown are SPPD and RedRain

San Paro Police Department while currently (according to the lore) being out of order may still be roaming around Midtown and trying to protect the people.

Some of them can be found in other Enforcer organisations but some of them may still run a small bit of operations somewhere in the city. So I think Midtown is the right home for those people.

Red rain being a gang that rules Midtown is looking very gangster type of criminals.They are quite stylish and own quite a bit of money and turf in Midtown so they might be a little more organized then your avarage crim.

One iconic member is YoDawg

011f2f96ea53af63a6157fe3c0d37150.jpg

His model seems to have once existed in APB's files so I bet LO will still have him somewhere..

ecc9b3f55e4f4b10050e393f51f3bbd8.jpg

Other contact designs can be those who we see a lot in some APB art such as some works of the old devs.

Here are some examples that can be used as a design..

6e5107c8d7a66906f27cba455def31fe.jpg

adff9f0342dd543d6394775f0fb40469.png

f120453f9b3fa78a9cc44086d7e914de.jpg

This of course requires from the devs some work as not all of the clothing items are now available but I hope that we will see those types of contacts in the district..

I made it that in Midtown it's possible to host up to 10 contacts for each faction

That is however a lot of work and content that needs to be made so I bet it will be alright to start just with 4

Here are the spots however..

66dcf9dc6431b6c940caa2eb9b6fe4d8.png

(Yellow spots are gas stations)

Gameplay predictions

I designed the map as a mission district just as Financial and Waterfront are however I'm quite sure that it can be good even for Riot (with some work) if it's ever getting re-released 

I tried to balance the ranges so there will be enough for each class - meaning that there are long,mid and cqc areas on the map. I assume that there will still be weapon changing tactics so there will not be spots where you will do fine just with one same class of weapons and the map overall supports a lot of team based tactics such as snipers covering cqc players,spots covered from different angles and so on..

I put some great work into trying to balance the spots of the map so there will be no camping spots. In theory there should always be at least 3 paths to get into some spots and no higher grounds to camp with items at (as much as it was possible).

The map supports lots of CAR SPAWNERS and paths that you can use in the middle of the blocks to get inside with your car with or drive trough.

In general I think the map is a bit harder to master for a new player as in some cases it's using tactics of approach that require some "parkour".

So my though if this is going to be released that the level cap should be limited to at least R30 however that's just my opinion.

Again - the layout is a subject for change and there still needs to be work but you can already see for yourself which type of gameplay they represent which in my opinion is a good mix between Financial and Waterfront..

Overall you need to play this map to know anything for sure but those are just my thoughts as a developer.

And also- There are a bit of sewers :3 

a10cfee4a12656fab8550a1ef1e90494.png

Logisticszzzz 🙂 

This project requires the new engine being built. And I think this is obvious that the current one can't support such a thing.

Only assuming that everything goes well and the population will be slightly bigger this can become a reality!

However in that case the game needs some new content!

I think that a new district is something the playerbase really needs as for the past 10 years we've seen just the old 2 mission districts,Fightclub and a small glimpse of a new gamemode.

I hope that a new area can be a good update for the game.

All this of course requires a lot of new content for people to actually get from the new contacts. That means more development time of course but I think in  the end it will be worth it.

If the project will get built as an actual map I think it's best to first start off with Anarchy mode for the playerbase to actually test the map and see if it plays well. (All this of course after SPCT and devs themselves)

This whole project is something for the FAR future of APB and it requires a lot of things to get just right.

But I'm hopeful - otherwise I wouldn't keep doing what I did! 

"So what's in it for you?"

Let's suppose that LO is seeing a potential in this.. What do I want for my work? Am I willing to get paid?

Well yes and no.

What I would want to receive IF the project will get approved is not hard stacks of cash.

I'm willing to give this out for FREE as a love latter to my beloved game that I play for 8 years now.

The best way to repay me for the work done is to accept me as a game tester for APB (SPCT) to actually test this map and maybe repay me in some amount of G1C.

Again! I will accept rejection as well as I understand that this is just a fan made project and it's nothing professional.

In any case it was fun thing for me to do and it's a good project for my personal portfolio as an environment designer. 🙂 

So in conclusion.. 

First of all I had a lot of fun with this project!

This was a blast for me to actually do something this big. A lot of time and effort was put into it and for me personally - I'm happy with the current result.

I don't really know what's the future for this.

Will it be accepted? Is it realistic?

I don't really know. But that's not the important thing.. The important thing for me is that I'm done with a project! Maybe the first time in my life.So I personally feel really pround

The answer is something to look into and I'm very hopeful but no matter the outcome - I will be happy with anything.

Dear LO. I hope you will see this post and consider using what I've done in the game. As a long term fan of APB I really would like to help the game if you let me and it will mean the world for me if you can use my creation.

Dear community - I hope to see your best response. Good or bad please be honest. It will really help me for this project and for anything I do in the future.

Feel free to ask me any question about the map!

I would like to use this opportunity to wish everyone an easy quarantine. Stay safe guys

Thank you everyone who's been reading and following the progress of Project Midtown! 🙂  

-Ellix

This is hella neat!

28 minutes ago, OfficerHot said:

This is hella neat!

please don't quote the whole longass post just to reply with one sentence 

• Like 4

2021 update or closure

Hello all followers of Project Midtown.

Today I officially pass away from finishing the project to get it on APB : Reloaded.

But this is not over

I'm in works for a bigger project today

Midtown is gonna be used for it.

More info soon :)

d7f2d2dd354f25fe5f18766b2838e529.png

• Like 3

another project phoenix i guess..anyway i think u just crushed the little hope some people had for the future of this game gg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

another project phoenix i guess..anyway i think u just crushed the little hope some people had for the future of this game gg

Yes the idea is similar to Nekrova 

But we want to get a bit further this time

Project name : COJO - Crime Over Justice - online

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

No fun allowed.

Wow, that's pretty good work particularly pleased with the attention to details and geometry, it will be nice addition to the APB if LO actually cared about community work, especially this one with like 90% of work's done