Sign in to follow this  
Cuve

3D / Ripping

Hiya,
I was wondering if Ripping characters from the game for 3D work is "illegal".
After asking multiple people and getting multiple answers I have no clue what is real and what is not  regarding this subject.
I know something changed after EAC came along and it's done in a different way.. But will it have a bad effect on your account?!

afaik the anticheat will just boot you from the game if you try to use ninjaripper anywhere but the character select screen, but that might have been back with battleye and not eac

no idea if repeated attempts lead to a ban or not

It is not illegal in and of it self.  It becomes illegal if you either A. try to profit off the assets you pulled, or B. Claim that you made them.  The latter being if you claim you made the models yourself and don't give credit since Little Orbit owns literally everything made in APB Reloaded, including anything you make in the game.

As long as you give credit in some way and don't make money off things, you'll be fine.  Good luck with any of that though since afaik the modeling side of the community has basically moved on to other games.

Just now, SkittyM said:

It is not illegal in and of it self.  It becomes illegal if you either A. try to profit off the assets you pulled, or B. Claim that you made them.  The latter being if you claim you made the models yourself and don't give credit since Little Orbit owns literally everything made in APB Reloaded, including anything you make in the game.

As long as you give credit in some way and don't make money off things, you'll be fine.  Good luck with any of that though since afaik the modeling side of the community has basically moved on to other games.

Wrong. Depends on the region but a lot of places it is illegal to be using it even if not for profit and you give credit.

1 minute ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Wrong. Depends on the region but a lot of places it is illegal to be using it even if not for profit and you give credit.

A lot of places also don't care amusingly enough.  Almost every ToS/EULA mentions that you can't extract the games models for use but Blizzard is like, the only company i can think of that has ever actively done anything about that.  End result is that there's a rather high chance nothing will happen to you, and 9 chances out of 10 you'll either move on to better things or just completely drop it like a lot of people tend to do.

You should be fine if you keep the use of it personal, or at the very least, credited and non-profit. Though I have to tell you, these game models were made to run in a 2006 game engine, not in a Pixar movie, and it'll show every step of the way trough your experiments in Blender.

Realistically, you're far better off making your own model and textures from scratch (Using your character as reference) if you plan on doing anything serious.

Sooo.. I spoke briefly to one of the GM's and asked the same question.
The answer I got was somewhere along the lines of You'll either be kicked from the game or  not be able to access anything, but it's at your own risk.

4 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Depends on what you are using it for.

Usage would mainly be thumbnails for on Youtube.

4 hours ago, SkittyM said:

I'm not planning on profiting from this what so ever. I knew that it would be illegal to claim models as my own and making profit would be bad news as well. I purely want to use it for I guess you can call it personal stuff such as Youtube thumbnails and just filling time in these long days.
I've had someone else rip my characters before (before EAC) and used them in thumbnails, I did not credit Little Orbit or anything that is associated to them. I guess not claiming it as mine is already enough?

2 hours ago, Haniasita said:

You should be fine if you keep the use of it personal, or at the very least, credited and non-profit. Though I have to tell you, these game models were made to run in a 2006 game engine, not in a Pixar movie, and it'll show every step of the way trough your experiments in Blender.

Realistically, you're far better off making your own model and textures from scratch (Using your character as reference) if you plan on doing anything serious.

I really do not care when the models were created and for which engine, I've played around with them before and it worked and looked fine 🙂
Making my own models would probably be a step too far experience wise.

2 minutes ago, Cuve said:

Technically even using ripped models for thumbnails is illegal in numerous regions. 

But it lives in this grey area of admissible due to dev/companies not going out of their way to care about it unless a huge amount of attention is drawn to it. That sort of 'free use' standard that isn't actually a thing.

I'd say go ahead though. Shrug.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

29 minutes ago, Cuve said:

I really do not care when the models were created and for which engine, I've played around with them before and it worked and looked fine 🙂
Making my own models would probably be a step too far experience wise.

Since you'll be using this to make thumbnails, I can see the ripped model being fine as-is. You'll likely be okay, since I really doubt LO is out hunting down potential copyright claims at the moment...

I was mentioning engine age to illustrate that these are at their core low-poly models with low-resolution textures, both of which are flaws that become pretty visible as soon as you crank the render resolution above 720p. The rig that we use for our characters, JenzAmaka's, is definitely a big help, but it's not exactly friendly either when you want to get some animation going... All problems which are solved by a custom model, or at the very least, model modification. If that works for you though, then all the better!

16 minutes ago, Haniasita said:

Since you'll be using this to make thumbnails, I can see the ripped model being fine as-is. You'll likely be okay, since I really doubt LO is out hunting down potential copyright claims at the moment...

I was mentioning engine age to illustrate that these are at their core low-poly models with low-resolution textures, both of which are flaws that become pretty visible as soon as you crank the render resolution above 720p. The rig that we use for our characters, JenzAmaka's, is definitely a big help, but it's not exactly friendly either when you want to get some animation going... All problems which are solved by a custom model, or at the very least, model modification. If that works for you though, then all the better!

Luckily it doesn't have to be animated neither does it have to go about 720p for such a small imagine on YT.
I've had someone else rip the characters for me before so I still have to learn the entire process of rigging them (rather would have someone do it for me but hey) 
I just want to be able to rip them from the game when I want due to specific outfits that keep changing and then pose them (as I do know how to do that part) 
Curious to see what I can make from it, perhaps find someone that knows how to do all the stuff and is willing to tell me what to do step by step on discord or whatever because if I have to read huge amounts of texts I'll get lost and more than likely get annoyed.

But yeah we'll see ^^ Again It really shouldn't matter if it's low-poly or no the quality seen below is more than enough for me 🙂
ooXdmTk.png

5 hours ago, Cuve said:

Sooo.. I spoke briefly to one of the GM's and asked the same question

Its probably worth mentioning that GMs don't handle anything like this, and that GMs have given bad info before.

tl;dr Ask LO don't ask player volunteers when it comes to what is or isn't allowed

If you find a way to do it - please do tell.

I'd like to use my character in VRchat :3

I don' tknow LO's standpoint on ripping. i would be fine if LO even made profit out of it. like selling a pass where u can download your avatar whit the outfit u wan to rip. if the price is reasonable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TzickyT said:

I don' tknow LO's standpoint on ripping. i would be fine if LO even made profit out of it. like selling a pass where u can download your avatar whit the outfit u wan to rip. if the price is reasonable.

Selling a pass to rip avatar you customized using your reasonably priced premium account.

*rub hands*

9 hours ago, TzickyT said:

They don't care as long as you give credit and don't try to steal things.

Come on guys... a guy in the art subforum riged hundreds of chars and has his own sticky thread.

Just dont use it for profit and should be fine.

35 minutes ago, ChristmasElf said:

Come on guys... a guy in the art subforum riged hundreds of chars and has his own sticky thread.

Just dont use it for profit and should be fine.

92ZpnKi.gif

13 hours ago, Ellix said:

If you find a way to do it - please do tell.

I'd like to use my character in VRchat :3

is not hard to do.
however could be nice also import something.
add something to our nice San Paro, like mini district able to be Fight Club or something playable.

(enforcer lobby #2 shows a nice beach ,could be nice add a social #2 there ) 

Sign in to follow this