Sign in to follow this  
AxeTurboAgresor

APB 2 graphic - please dont do this

So I ve been watching new engine pictures, and I am kinda worried about its future graphic design.

What have you noticed from this picture?

APB2.1-foliage.thumb.png.6daee8b25f1a60e

Many game developers, even the most famous studious do the same mistake: In order to archieve realistic-like or wannable "better graphics", they make everything look so dark, and gloomy. Just look at the shadows - its pure black! Its so confusing.

There are another examples of bad shaders that make everything confusing.

ingame_16x9.jpg9a7a0fb3-5e77-4644-9b3e-31ab35403aa6_i-d

I can barely recognize the characters, and items, and details from the background, and no I am 100% sure I am not colorblind.

I dont want to shoot black figures running on shiny and black backgrounds. I cant stress enough how I dont want APB to look like this. My eyes hurt from watching this.

Honestly. Even Limbo is more comfortable to watch and play than modern games.

Id rather the game to look like this, becouse everything is clear and clearly recognizeable even in the distance

APB1.20-foliage.thumb.png.cc54cbb7444435

I dont even know what game this is, but I want you to take an example from this. Look how clear everything looks while keeping good graphics.

I can recognize all the details, characters, weapons, items, EVERYTHING.

1643392_orig.jpg

I do have respect for what you do for us @MattScott

I dont know what it takes to make the game look more clear. But I know it would make everything better for gameplay, which is such important in competitive game like this.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, AxeTurboAgresor said:

What have you noticed from this picture?

you are mistaken. the picture is outdated. there have been bug fixes to graphics since then.

57 minutes ago, AxeTurboAgresor said:

There are another examples of bad shaders that make everything confusing.

ingame_16x9.jpg

Battlefield 3. Game which was such cash success that it spawned even better Battlefield 4. Both games tried to base on realism. Never heard complain about bad shaders from it's playerbase,

9a7a0fb3-5e77-4644-9b3e-31ab35403aa6_i-d

Serious Sam 3. While not being super widely popular, it accumulated quite a dedicated fanbase. Never heard a word about bad shaders from their playerbase either.

I can barely recognize the characters, and items, and details from the background, and no I am 100% sure I am not colorblind.

So whole complain is that you prefer THIS:

APB1.20-foliage.thumb.png.cc54cbb7444435

over this?:

APB2.1-foliage.thumb.png.6daee8b25f1a60e

I'm sorry but I see details way more clearly in EU 3.5. I can recognize items, i can recognize players. They have normally functioning shadows...

In EU 3? Brightness 1000 to even see anything normally and everything blends in one vomit anyway.

Edited by Mitne
  • Like 6

The only thing I don't like about the engine upgrade is the mess that is colors.

Extreme saturation, shadows are pitch black, a lot of building have been retextured to sport flashy colors, not cool.

• Like 13

They really need to dial down the contrast, if that engine update screenshot is accurate. It looks like every first attempt of using the curves tool in Photoshop.

Sure, in comparison the current engine looks kinda bland. But that is also easier on the eyes. Slightly crispier lighting should totally do the job.

• Like 5

@Mitne Thats some great points! Lets make APB pitch black and blinding white so it gets very popular!

Btw its Duke Nukem forever, not Seriouse Sam.

I stand for current APB graphic being easier for the eyes even tho the graphic is outdated.. its much easier to watch rather than oversaturated gloomy colors in order to archive real-like graphic.

I dont know if I have superpowers, but Id swear I can see all the ugly details and colors of my carpet under my bed even when the lights are off.

But on the picture of the new engine, I would have a hard time to tell if the characters pants are blue or black, if I seen only pants and had only these 2 options to choose from. 

I dont think this is what make games succesful. That would be some very bad assumption. I tell u what.

Edited by AxeTurboAgresor

If that screenshot is representative of the game in 3.5 as we're going to get it I might just need Reshade to do the exact opposite of what I'm using it now for.

To decrease contrast, instead of increase it.

• Thanks 1

It looks like a camera with poorly implemented HDR. Rather than gain detail, you lose detail.

It's not as bad as what G1 did with the excessive bloom and blue instagram filter, but still how could anyone think this is normal looking?

Edited by SquirrelFace

Agreed! My life already is dark as it is now my game will also become gloomy? NO! I play for escapism so i at least want my game to look bright with sunshine and rainbows.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Haganu said:

If that screenshot is representative of the game in 3.5 as we're going to get it I might just need Reshade to do the exact opposite of what I'm using it now for.

To decrease contrast, instead of increase it.

Keep in mind that lighting is still a work in progress. If you want to see any changes then please make sure to say what you like and what you don't like about the current 3.5 shaders / lighting. You can do this with the screenshots provided in previous teases or once public testing rolls around, the latter obviously giving you a lot more options to customize the look of the game.

• Like 2

idc what apb look like so long it keep original style.

what g1 did was fucking awful and made apb look like trash lmao

Can we let LO iron out the bugs and optimize the new game engine before we start critiquing them on aesthetics of the shaders. 😓

• Thanks 3

i wouldnt be worried about dark shades.  
Firstly, engine ll never come, because LO will sell apb to chinese, not to embetter this game, but use its ip address, servers etc.  They will cut the apb down, break it apart, and sell for pieces. 

Its inevitable. 

41 minutes ago, Inhotep said:

They will cut the apb down

Indeed they will...

...indeed they will.

Honestly though, the EU shader pic looks far better than the normal game picture, there's litterally no contest. It's not even that dark and grimey either. It just needs a few tonal adjustments and things like the greens being brighter, with brighter hues on a few objects in the light without looking so painted. The colors in the pic are so dark because the brightness isn't max like your picture. Really though, why complain when it'll look 30x better to begin with?

Heck, I've even streamed and the stream looks fine (better than the game does on my computer) but i've had buddies who play with brightness at max complain because it's too "dark" like guy, you can litterally see "everything" on the stream how is it too dark. lol

Kinda strange to see you complain about the EU shaders when your profile pic looks exactly what your complaining about xD

Edited by Noob_Guardian

APB 2 graphic look indeed better. All what I complain about are pure black shadows that make it difficult to watch.

If I increased the brightness, the walls, sky, benches, and the back of the neck of the character would burn my eyes out.

It looks like some people like to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing, while the point is same as mine. 🥺🤔

No worries!

They won't.

11 hours ago, AxeTurboAgresor said:

APB 2 graphic look indeed better. All what I complain about are pure black shadows that make it difficult to watch.

If I increased the brightness, the walls, sky, benches, and the back of the neck of the character would burn my eyes out.

It looks like some people like to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing, while the point is same as mine. 🥺🤔

I see dark shadows but I dont really see "black" shadows, and those are very few and far between, likely easily fixed by turning up brightness like in any game. The APB EU graphic is probably near standard or lower than half for brightness. Most people i know turn theirs up to what your screenshot is, which is honestly too bright imo.

Edited by Noob_Guardian

When you consider the work they had to do behind the scenes to get the lighting system as it is the 3.5 screenshots, I'm guessing that refining the look of the game comes second to actually making the build playable. Don't worry, I highly doubt that what we're seeing now is going to be final.

Hi all,

I’d like to weigh in here and try to eliminate the confusion. In the spirit of transparency, I post undoctored shots to the Engine Upgrade thread. So that is how APB 2.1 looks right now.

But none of the districts have final lighting or color balance. I want to see solid performance before we spend any more time on look and feel.

Having said that, there are lots of knobs and dials we hope to use soon in order to get the proper look that compliments the gameplay and still feels like APB.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

I’d like to weigh in here and try to eliminate the confusion. In the spirit of transparency, I post undoctored shots to the Engine Upgrade thread. So that is how APB 2.1 looks right now.

But none of the districts have final lighting or color balance. I want to see solid performance before we spend any more time on look and feel.

Having said that, there are lots of knobs and dials we hope to use soon in order to get the proper look that compliments the gameplay and still feels like APB.

Thanks,

Matt

what about saturation and gamma sliders in the options? pretty sure you've once answered this question and said it would be a nice feature to add... is that still a thing you'd like to have?
is there a chance we could have it with the release of the engine update, or rather after its launch?

ontop of overall lighting, people can adjust the colours to their own taste to a certain degree. that would be awesome, and almost everyone would be happy with it that way.

Bleached out LUT. They can easily change it. I don't think that this is the priority now.

And this is exactly why my patootie is quitting when / if that releases 🙂

3 hours ago, Cuve said:

And this is exactly why my patootie is quitting when / if that releases 🙂

doubt that.

Sign in to follow this