I was wondering what can I do about these little screen freezes I get all the time. I know a lot of people get these "micro stutters" too, where your screen will freeze for maybe a quarter to a middle of a second. These often cost you a kill and are really really annoying. I've seen some people who run their game super smoothly in streams or youtube videos. So, what is there to do about it? Do I need a monster PC to fix this?
It's weird that no matter what settings I'm using I still seem ot get the same amount of stutters. Doesn't matter if it's all Max settings and resolution, or if it's custom minima setting in 1024x768. I'll always get 60FPS (or 102 if I'm not capping it) + A lot of stutters

What part of my pc should I upgrade to solve this? Or is it more of a game problem?

It's a problem with the game. To my knowledge, there is 2 different types of stutters, one caused by the server hitting 35 ms and the other by the games garbage collection system. This was never a problem before LO took over, and I know they managed to fix it at one point, but they've been back now since around the Halloween event. It's definitely something they should take a look at considering people are actually quitting over this. Tried pretty much everything I could think of to get rid of them. Doesn't seem to impact everyone at the same time either, varies depending on the day, regardless of specs. At least from what me and the people I play with have noticed.

Specs:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4
SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

PSU: Corsair PowerSupply RM750X V2 750W 80+ Gold

Would also be nice if they could finally fix this annoying HUD bug where you can't see the objectives / markers in game after changing character 3/4 times.

Edited by shft
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, shft said:

Specs:

If you got stutters with that beast then yeah there's no hope for anyone, sadly

12 minutes ago, shft said:

This was never a problem before LO took over

garbage collection issues have been around since 2012 or so, if not longer

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, shft said:

This has literally always been an issue for as long as I've played. LO's takeover has nothing to do with the poor work done by RTW and lack of effort by G1.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kiida said:

This has literally always been an issue for as long as I've played. LO's takeover has nothing to do with the poor work done by RTW and lack of effort by G1.

If you are referring to the garbage collection I’m probably wrong on that.However, I don’t ever remember stuttering to the point the game was almost unplayable  being caused by this. 

1 hour ago, shft said:

it happened before but as the game gets older it is more noticeable from compatibility issues

I swear those stutters make the game unplayable for every compish kind of player.

There is virtually nothing you can do about stutters in APB on the current engine, not by hardware and not by configs. All you can do is make them less severe by getting high end RAM, CPU, installing the game on an SSD and applying a high fps config such as mine and that's that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

what?

Anyone who prefers to play a game where the game itself doesn't fuck them over with it's shit performance.

10 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Anyone who prefers to play a game where the game itself doesn't fuck them over with it's shit performance.

ok ty.

I was thinking what does he mean by "understand" by using compish.

its been bad as of late. i remember like 1 month back it was unplayable for me as almost every 1 vs 1 encounter id lag as id go for the kill and end up dying.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:43 AM, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Get an SSD.

Won't fix it. I play APB in a SSD and have stutters anyways..

One of main reasons why veteran players such as me are pushing on engine upgrade is exactly this.

I have several old games with ancient engines which litteraly have the same problems. Poor performance despite good hardware.

What is at fault? Everything but mainly game. Old engines of game have tendency to not know what to do with new hardware which was impossible at age of game creation and wasn't obviously coded to support it.

Pretty sure most of you run 10% of hardware capacity while playing APB something which shouldn't have place nowadays, especially since issues you all describe are something low-spec PC player like me should have.

Edited by Mitne

Most posts so far are pretty correct, Garbage Collection is the majority of issues with stutters.

You can even compare stats or stutters from the log files using this line:

%time% - DevGarbage: 81.180300 ms for realtime GC
%time% - DevGarbage: 11.502200 ms for unhashing 31101 unreachable objects

As a player you sadly can't do much about it, believe me I have tried. I doubt server hiccups cause client hiccups, it could but I am not saying it is right now. They are pretty rare.

I haven't noticed client performance going down either from patch to patch, some days seem worse than others as well.

It depends to much on things to reliably say where it's from or what it is caused by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1