Sign in to follow this  
CookiePuss

A discussion on APB themes...

On 2/25/2020 at 11:28 AM, CookiePuss said:

I've the instruments folder deleted I hate themes so much.

what about the 70's and 80's ?

what if someone made some ringtomes of that for APB ?

3 hours ago, HawtGirl said:

You can change them but you will be the only one who will be able to hear those changes. Everyone else will hear them in the way they are in their own game folder. 

Yeah I know, that's why in the first reply I posted I came out with the idea of some sort of player made custom sound banks we could share if anyone ever dares to create one for this purpose. It could be interesting. : )

There are some pretty good ones made by the top theme makers but I would appreciate a modernised, up-to-date sound bank and also an in-game toggle option to turn off themes and music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tbh I wouldn't even care if the old sounds were updated, it'll sound the same regardless and will you even notice the difference in-game?  I highly doubt it.  Just sounds like a waste of time in my opinion.  BUT I'm all for adding new instruments.  We don't have a trumpet or a half decent sounding distorted electric guitar (BrittanyBRGuitar sucks and the notes are really short and Electric Guitar is too clean).  Actually obtaining these sounds would be really easy.  No idea how difficult it would be to implement them but why not just record real instruments?  You wouldn't have to worry about licensing sound banks or anything.  It's easy to record good instrument samples if you have the right equipment and software (for guitar and bass anyway)

4 hours ago, BrandonBranderson said:

Tbh I wouldn't even care if the old sounds were updated, it'll sound the same regardless and will you even notice the difference in-game?  I highly doubt it.  Just sounds like a waste of time in my opinion.  BUT I'm all for adding new instruments.  We don't have a trumpet or a half decent sounding distorted electric guitar (BrittanyBRGuitar sucks and the notes are really short and Electric Guitar is too clean).  Actually obtaining these sounds would be really easy.  No idea how difficult it would be to implement them but why not just record real instruments?  You wouldn't have to worry about licensing sound banks or anything.  It's easy to record good instrument samples if you have the right equipment and software (for guitar and bass anyway)

Well, is not actually as easy as it might seems to be. To meet the standards of sampling/sound recording first of all you need equipment that is not usually found at a video game development studio, then you should also apply not only the proper recording techniques but also know everything about multi-layer sampling and sound wave modeling in order to create samples that actually doesn't sound like these Brittany guitar reefs.

Then there are the limitations inherent to a given project, in this case the music editor, which would require these samples to have certain sample-rate quality and file duration if that's the case which could bring all sort of limitations.

Let's assume none of the mentioned factors is a limitation then the art of sampling musical instruments still demands a depth understanding of both, sound recording / sampling methods  and specific instrument's play techniques.

I'd go for modding these files since is something that could give interesting results, specially if these players that do enjoy creating themes and songs in the ingame music editor wants to give it a try to a different set of sound libraries and they settle some standards and start sharing the same libraries as part of this. Yet, as we've been already saying, these sounds will be heard only for the ones owning these custom libraries, rendering any themes made for these specific libraries totally senseless for the rest of the players.

Edited by Salvick

Sign in to follow this