Hexerin

@LittleOrbit @MattScott - Regarding the weapon Curves system

I would put forth a formal request that you guys consider taking one or more of the following actions:

1. Provide the staff of APB Database (APB:Db) with whatever they need to update their site to properly show Curves values on related weapons.
  2. Create a post that contains all of the Curves data sheets, and pin it in one or more of the main forum sections for easy reference.
  3. Just revert the system entirely, so that all weapons return to using the vanilla range system with its linear values.

ed2deb59a4f73b6395d807b2b194d8be.png

This has been an issue for far too long, and it makes it impossible to easily reference the stats on any weapon that uses it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hexerin said:

Just revert the system entirely, so that all weapons return to using the vanilla range system with its linear values.

i would prefer the option that reduces rng

afaik the curves are created using engine values or something, hence why speed (apbdb) can’t just recreate them himself

1 minute ago, Solamente said:

i would prefer the option that reduces rng

I wasn't aware Curves involves RNG. Isn't it just changing the vanilla linear dropoff into a curved exponential dropoff?

1 minute ago, Solamente said:

afaik the curves are created using engine values or something, hence why speed (apbdb) can’t just recreate them himself

Hence the first option in the list. I personally don't mind which path they take, I just want to have the information available in an easily referenced way.

24 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

I wasn't aware Curves involves RNG. Isn't it just changing the vanilla linear dropoff into a curved exponential dropoff?

Hence the first option in the list. I personally don't mind which path they take, I just want to have the information available in an easily referenced way.

here's the old published one for rifles...

uXQUHDB.jpg

Feel better now?

16 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

i mostly just want all the curve systems removed, not just dropoff specifically

23 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

imo the ideal situation is that little orbit does all 3, plus option 4 - add correct and functional weapon stats in the actual game

i like apbdb and all but it shouldn't even need to exist, having to use a 3rd party website just for basic gameplay values is kind of insane

The only good 2 weird systems this game has ever seen was the shotgun pellet damage curve and the HVR damage ramp-up relying on reticle accuracy.

It's funny how those 2 are also the only systems that whatwashisnameagain (Qwentle?) never thought of.

The rest is just bad. The combat in this game is too set in stone to make these weird twists to the game's shooting. It's just bad for the reliability of the weapons.

3 minutes ago, Haganu said:

The only good 2 weird systems this game has ever seen was the shotgun pellet damage curve and the HVR damage ramp-up relying on reticle accuracy.

if you're talking about rayscaling then that was a horrible system

and the hvr is similarly not a good system, it basically just made the gun feel clunky while not really dealing with the actual issues

I'm going to be honest, I wasn't expecting everyone to actually want the system gone. I only even added the third option for the sake of keeping options as open as possible.

2 hours ago, Solamente said:

if you're talking about rayscaling then that was a horrible system

and the hvr is similarly not a good system, it basically just made the gun feel clunky while not really dealing with the actual issues

Rayscaling intended to tackle the reliability issues and it did just that.

Shotguns in this game are either so powerful it'll be your go-to choice for CQC or they end up being useless especially with a community whining as much as this one when it comes to balance.

As for the HVR it did do its job for the most part. Initially people complained about the 850 damage because it was easily abused in CQC. The abuse in CQC is nearly entirely gone, because it is too clunky now for most people.

The damage is still the problem with that weapon. That I agree on, but it does what it intends to do.

Also, I kinda remember MattScott saying he wants the HVR to stay as a heavy hitter. He never really intended to tackle the problem the 850 damage poses in first place.

The systems did what they were supposed to do, but I agree that they're not enough to solve the balance issues these weapons have.

Edited by Haganu
it's still better than the curve mechanics qwentle (still no idea) came up with
  • Like 2

DOUBLE CUBIC BEZIER CURVE SYSTEM OR RIOT.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

2 minutes ago, Haganu said:

Shotguns in this game are either so powerful it'll be your go-to choice for CQC or they end up being useless especially with a community whining as much as this one when it comes to balance.

As for the HVR it did do its job for the most part. Initially people complained about the 850 damage because it was easily abused in CQC. The abuse in CQC is nearly entirely gone, because it is too clunky now for most people.

The damage is still the problem with that weapon. That I agree on, but it does what it intends to do.

Also, I kinda remember MattScott saying he wants the HVR to stay as a heavy hitter. He never really intended to tackle the problem the 850 damage poses in first place.

The systems did what they were supposed to do, but I agree that they're not enough to solve the balance issues these weapons have.

rayscaling tackled reliability issues by introducing way too many other problems, which is why it's being deleted

i wouldnt say the accuracy based damage really solved anything since its still pretty easy to use the hvr in cqc, making a gun so obnoxious to use at all in order to stop people from using it in one specific manner is a horrible way to go about balancing

21 minutes ago, Solamente said:

rayscaling tackled reliability issues by introducing way too many other problems, which is why it's being deleted

i wouldnt say the accuracy based damage really solved anything since its still pretty easy to use the hvr in cqc, making a gun so obnoxious to use at all in order to stop people from using it in one specific manner is a horrible way to go about balancing

I mean, it was this or stop 3ps3 from being on it, but they wouldn't do the latter, and base increasing equip time is a nogo.

you cant link people in titles.

pls dont. looks like spam

but ur hexerin so i guess that dont matter to u

9 hours ago, Hexerin said:

I would put forth a formal request that you guys consider taking one or more of the following actions:

1. Provide the staff of APB Database (APB:Db) with whatever they need to update their site to properly show Curves values on related weapons.
  2. Create a post that contains all of the Curves data sheets, and pin it in one or more of the main forum sections for easy reference.
  3. Just revert the system entirely, so that all weapons return to using the vanilla range system with its linear values.

1. Can't happen due to how "technical" the data is and there being no way to reasonably convert it.  2. Would probably just confuse people and require going out of the way to get.  3. is unlikely since afaik everyone liked the idea of range curves since it gave a bit of a boost to weapons effective ranges before dropping.

What needs to go is accuracy curves however, that shits rank.

5 hours ago, Haganu said:

Ray scaling sucks major balls and the devs basically agree with that.   Keypoint is how the NFAS is absurdly strong, the JG is rather powerful while the CSG and SG-21 are patootie because of how the scaling works.   It was a failure of an idea due to how diverse shotguns are in APB.