Ruler

101 FPS limit with 60Hz monitor

I've seen people with 60Hz monitor getting past 101fps limit. I've tried using CRU by adding 75/77/120Hz following various guides and methods and there were no increase in fps limit. Perhaps I did something wrong. 

I use various configs which theoretically would allow me to get 120fps, however because i have fps lim i cannot reach that and all i'm getting is 101fps. Please suggest anything. You can also contact me in game - Nepazistamoji; discord - Entusk#2410.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

LENOVO_MT_80YY_BU_idea_FM_Y520-15IKBM (laptop)

x64-based PC

RAM 8GB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design 6GB

Tested in Baylan Shipping:

minimal @1024x768 - 95-101fps

maximum @1024x768 - 80-101fps

minimal @1920x1080- 85-101fps

maximum @1920x1080 - 75-85fps

No configs/shaders/overlays/ENBs were used.

Lowest fps scores - running and moving mouse; highest - standing still without mouse movements.

3 minutes ago, Alani said:

your cpu is the issue

Well, I mean it can run other games such AC Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider or Witcher 3 at reasonably high frame rates some on high, some on ultra settings so I'm expecting a 10 years old game with a shitload of configs and potato graphics to pull at least 120fps. Don't understand what could be wrong with CPU.

There used to be a way to set your own cap regardless of your monitor's refresh rate in APB through APB configs. I know that you can adjust the "Smooth Framerate" cap in the BaseEngine.ini but that's known to also do some other funky stuff that messes with game performance a bit. The problem isn't your PC, it's your screen being 60hz so the game detects the refresh rate and caps you out at 101fps.

Why'd you need to go beyond 101fps if your monitor is 60hz to begin with?

Edited by Flaws
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flaws said:

There used to be a way to set your own cap regardless of your monitor's refresh rate in APB through APB configs. I know that you can adjust the "Smooth Framerate" cap in the BaseEngine.ini but that's known to also do some other funky stuff that messes with game performance a bit.

Reduced mouse input latency, increased performance if the monitor response rate is good. reduced tear line offset. I will try with that .ini file.

Edited by lietuvis449

Just to make sure you have done it correctly, i have done it right now without any tutorial and it works

add new res in 'detailed resolution'

leave everything as it is and just change your res and set to 120hz

and restart your pc

P.S in the top you have option to pick monitor, it should show you two monitors one of them should have "active" u have to pick that one

Edited by jmiIos

22 minutes ago, Flaws said:

There used to be a way to set your own cap regardless of your monitor's refresh rate in APB through APB configs. I know that you can adjust the "Smooth Framerate" cap in the BaseEngine.ini but that's known to also do some other funky stuff that messes with game performance a bit. The problem isn't your PC, it's your screen being 60hz so the game detects the refresh rate and caps you out at 101fps.

I increased smooth frame rate limit from 63fps as a default to 120fps in BaseEngine.ini. Opening it on launcher sets it to default, opening it through program doesn't increase the FPS cap. 

45 minutes ago, lietuvis449 said:

I've seen people with 60Hz monitor getting past 101fps limit. I've tried using CRU by adding 75/77/120Hz following various guides and methods and there were no increase in fps limit. Perhaps I did something wrong. 

I use various configs which theoretically would allow me to get 120fps, however because i have fps lim i cannot reach that and all i'm getting is 101fps. Please suggest anything. You can also contact me in game - Nepazistamoji; discord - Entusk#2410.

x64-based PC

RAM 8GB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Lowest fps scores - running and moving mouse; highest - standing still without mouse movements.

you don't need to edit files in order to achive a higher fps limit.

I have a 60hz monitor (overclocked to 79hz) and i created a FAKE new resolution in CRU utility with 121hz (notice, I DONT USE 121HZ, I USE 79HZ) but APB reads the highest hz available for the resolution in game.

that's why:

I have a desktop resolution of 1024x768 with 4 differents hz available: 59/60 -default-/79/121

in game: I use 1024x768 and it AUTOMATICALLY detects 121hz, that's why my fps limit is 121.

In my case, i'm using 79hz right now but APB detects i'm using 121hz. However, you don't need to overclock your monitor, you can just use 60hz and also have 121fps limit.

Edited by Uhtdred
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Uhtdred said:

you don't need to edit files in order to achive a higher fps limit.

I have a 60hz monitor (overclocked to 79hz) and i created a FAKE new resolution in CRU utility with 121hz (notice, I DONT USE 121HZ, I USE 79HZ) but APB reads the highest hz available for the resolution in game.

that's why:

I have a desktop resolution of 1024x768 with 4 differents hz available: 59/60 -default-/79/121

in game: I use 1024x768 and it AUTOMATICALLY detects 121hz, that's why my fps limit is 121.

In my case, i'm using 79hz right now but APB detects i'm using 121hz. However, you don't need to overclock your monitor, you can just use 60hz and also have 121fps limit.

I seem to have tried that , could you please help me on discord? mine is Entusk#2410

Merged.

I don't know how but it works now. Thanks guys! 🙂 

Alright, how to get past 123 fps limit? 😄

1 hour ago, lietuvis449 said:

Buy a monitor that isnt poop.

Since you have an nvidia card, you could set Vsync to fast mode in the driver settings to reduce tearing if thats still an issue you have, its similar to having it off.

2 hours ago, lietuvis449 said:

you  should make a new resolution using CRU utility again and write 144hz instead of 121..

however i didn't try that yet.

3 hours ago, lietuvis449 said:

x64-based PC

RAM 8GB

Nebandei prideti su cru 144hz?

3 hours ago, lietuvis449 said:

I increased smooth frame rate limit from 63fps as a default to 120fps in BaseEngine.ini. Opening it on launcher sets it to default, opening it through program doesn't increase the FPS cap. 

Just for the record for editing configs in general: Never start the game from the updater/launcher. Always run from the APB executable shortcut. Save your custom config files elsewhere so when there's an update, you can update the game then replace everything again and run from the APB exec as usual. The updater finds any different files and downloads standard vanilla ones from the server.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:24 PM, lietuvis449 said:

Well, I mean it can run other games such AC Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider or Witcher 3 at reasonably high frame rates some on high, some on ultra settings so I'm expecting a 10 years old game with a shitload of configs and potato graphics to pull at least 120fps. Don't understand what could be wrong with CPU.

it's a notebook cpu. rather low clockspeed - 2.4ghz - thus resulting in much worse performance than e.g. a desktop i3 of the same generation. that applies to both single- and multicore. having 4 cores doesn't alleviate this problem since apb is single core performance reliant. (except in the way that background tasks will not hinder the game as much)

also thermal throttling would be a big issue because it's a notebook.

others than that, being 10 years old and poorly optimised is exactly the issue. it's not made for this hardware, it's not optimised for this hardware.

(witcher 3 also runs well on a potato, not a great benchmark.)

i think it should be fine though?

101fps used to be the old cap, even with configs iirc? hmm... might be an issue here? shouldn't be. just a thing to think about.

anyway, not sure why you'd need over 100fps on a 60hz monitor. you don't get anything out of that, unless you disabled any form of synchronisation (which would be worth the very minor input lag you'd get when you're just having 60hz anyway)...

no insight on how to fix it though, sorry. just wanted to shed some light on why your cpu is not GREAT but probably fine. (have you checked the load on your cores though?)

well i hit 90-91 most of the time whitout any configs or advancec launcher .. but i receive sometimes a lag spike

On 2/16/2020 at 10:51 AM, TzickyT said:

well i hit 90-91 most of the time whitout any configs or advancec launcher .. but i receive sometimes a lag spike

These lag spikes comes from server.

Edited by valdas001

On 2/16/2020 at 2:51 AM, TzickyT said:

Advanced launcher and configs have very little to do with max fps.

Its about reducing frame drops, stuttering, and freezing.

Getting max 90fps is nice unless your lows are 30fps.

If you want to actually benchmark your performance, MSI Afterburner is what we use to benchmark both live and 3.5 .