Dasimoge

[Discuss] Remove or change the ability to join lower threat Districts?

Which option do you take?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Choice [Only one] | Read the options befor you choice

• Option 1
    • Option 2
    • Option 3

43 minutes ago, -Rachel- said:

I don't even dethreat, I literally just fluctuate back and forth between silver and gold every few missions.

oh poor soul trapped in the "non-belongingness of apb", we know it sucks, but keep it toghether! there is a way out! contact fluctuators anonymous and start your treatment today!

for reference, i'll leave this here:

7 hours ago, TheOppositePolarBear said:

i dont really think its a matter of -making it harder to dethreat-, but to -fix the reason why people dethreat in the first place-, i know we like to think of dethreaters as scrumbags who only likes to stump on newbies, but there are lots of players that get gold, go to a silver district, and then they proceed to get destroyed in the most obscene ways. they see how gold players with 5000+ hours in the game play, and they really dont feel like they deserve the gold status.

its the "non belongingness" of APB, you're too good to belong to the bronze district, yet too bad to belong to the silver one, so you eather suck it up and git gud, or you dethreat and go back to the dark whole you came from... i mean, you go back to the bronze district.

[...]

its like APB threat system goes like this: bronze -> silver(bronze district) -> gold (bronze district) -> silver (silver district) -> gold(silver district)

34 minutes ago, -Rachel- said:

This is the only real solution. It is the only suggestion that will actually work. MMR should be server side, we should not be aware of it. If you can't see it, you can't easily manipulate it.

In addition to this, add a phasing system to the game so that matchmaking works across all available districts, and just phases the matched players into the same instance.

a phasing system would be a pretty powerful tool for incrasing the player pool for the matchmaking system. that said, from what i've heard, apb's code is as chaotic as the game itself. i hope they can put some order in it so they can implement cool systems like that.

144755-004-D4DB6492.jpg

Edited by TheOppositePolarBear

1 minute ago, TheOppositePolarBear said:

a phasing system would be a pretty powerful tool for incrasing the player pool for the matchmaking system. that said, from what i've heard, apb's code is as chaotic as the game itself. i hope they can put some order in it so they can implement cool systems like that.

It can be done. It won't necessarily be easy, but it can be done.

16 minutes ago, -Rachel- said:

It can be done. It won't necessarily be easy, but it can be done.

Are there any actual games that even do this? I don't see how it'd be viable with APB.

1 minute ago, TheAceNinja said:

Are there any actual games that even do this? I don't see how it'd be viable with APB.

There are plenty of games that use phasing for all kinds of reasons. There's to reason to believe that with competent programming and the right amount of time, that it could be done. I can't say how much of the game's matchmaking and district handling systems would need to be rewritten, I just know that with code, anything is possible with enough effort.

5 minutes ago, TheOppositePolarBear said:

phasing

It's probably the most promising solution for widening the MM pool. I believe cross-district MM is mentioned as something the old team wanted to go for. They'd need to change district loading so that clients don't need to completely reload a district if they are "switching" to one that is the same map. Then, the only thing that loads when changing districts (of the same map) are other players and their customizations/content. The MM system would manage which district instance to pull players to for their mission. I can see this kinda annoying, though, if you want to stay in the same district, because things like graffiti points would reset if you exit the district. Maybe they could add an option in the group/team menu for cross-district matchmaking.

Matt Scott already said they were going to overhaul threat level/matchmaking, but as it is right now, I think threat segregation should be removed and just allow the current MM to match people together based on their TL in the appropriate ratios.

39 minutes ago, TheAceNinja said:

if you’re looking for a concrete example ‘The Division’ handles phasing incredibly well imo, altho multiplayer servers are limited to 20-30 people iirc

2 hours ago, Shozonu said:

Matt Scott already said they were going to overhaul threat level/matchmaking, but as it is right now, I think threat segregation should be removed and just allow the current MM to match people together based on their TL in the appropriate ratios.

And I would agree with you on that.

Remove district selector.....

Make it auto join available instances....

Thats it... GREENs/Ts can get their own instances and any player under R 80 n BRONZE also goes into that district..

Silvers+golds should be matched together, i mean yes some silvers are plain poop, but silver isnt THAAAAAAAAAT below gold.... Also we need threat levels ranging from 1 to 10

1 hour ago, Thelnformer said:

Thats it... GREENs/Ts can get their own instances and any player under R 80 n BRONZE also goes into that district..

Silvers+golds should be matched together, i mean yes some silvers are plain poop, but silver isnt THAAAAAAAAAT below gold.... Also we need threat levels ranging from 1 to 10

Silver IS pretty below gold. Hell, low golds are pretty far below high golds. This game has a high skill cap.

If they decided to do away with threat segregation, it opens up the opportunity to add "ranked" games or even rated seasons, where premades can play against each other and rack up points, the teams with the highest amount at the end of the season could win prizes like G1C, Joker Tickets, or just in-game money. At the end of the season you could give a player a "rating" similar to many other modern games, Green -> Bronze -> Silver -> Gold, or any other format you wanted. So for the people who like the "accomplishment" of being gold will still be able to work towards a goal.

Could be a dumb idea, but I think it would make things more interesting even if it is a blatant rip off of Overwatch or WoW Arena lol.

2 hours ago, Thelnformer said:

and thats how you end up in a district with like... 5 population or so.

e82862b9018d77779af774c339a8292a.jpg

6 hours ago, Thelnformer said:

Removing district selector would be probaly a solution against Stream snipers, but as a normal player you probaly going to have a chance of 75% to join a complett empty District.

None of the above.

Two other solutions that are slightly more elegant in my opinion....

1. Once a player has gained the 'kind of a big deal' achievement, lock them out of bronze. Genuine silvers could gain entry to bronze servers, but dethreaters would not be able to regardless of how far they dethreat.

That would remove the incentive to dethreat, and other players wouldn't end up with matchmaking thinking they are better than they are due to having faced dethreaters, so the matchmaking would be improved as an indirect result.

On introducing this system, globally reset every character to silver and remove the kind of a big deal achievement. Everyone who should be playing at a high level will get gold (and the achievement)  pretty fast and be excluded from bronze servers forever more.

2. Alternatively, if your current district is one level below your current threat, reduce rewards (standing and apb dollars) by 50% and halt any role advancement for kills against people below your current threat level (not the level that you entered the district with). If the differential is two steps (say you entered bronze as a silver but turned gold) reduce the rewards to zero - and at that stage you'd only get role advances for actions taken against other golds who equally are in the wrong place.

Basically it would incentivise playing in a district correct for your threat level without creating a hard block. Golds would play in gold since they would no longer be rewarded for farming silvers. Silvers would then not feel they'd been pushed down to bronze, and everyone would find their level without being forced away from their friends who may be a different threat.

Edited by Vipertechs

45 minutes ago, Vipertechs said:

None of the above.

Two other solutions that are slightly more elegant in my opinion....

1. Once a player has gained the 'kind of a big deal' achievement, lock them out of bronze. Genuine silvers could gain entry to bronze servers, but dethreaters would not be able to regardless of how far they dethreat.

That would remove the incentive to dethreat, and other players wouldn't end up with matchmaking thinking they are better than they are due to having faced dethreaters, so the matchmaking would be improved as an indirect result.

On introducing this system, globally reset every character to silver and remove the kind of a big deal achievement. Everyone who should be playing at a high level will get gold (and the achievement)  pretty fast and be excluded from bronze servers forever more.

i have that achievement and i'm garbage

Edited by Guest
despacito

19 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Wins and losses would still be easy to dethreat, you sinply just throw the match like ppl r doing now. It needs to include KDR somehow as when you get to a couple thousand hrs of playtime ur KDR will barely move if at all hence crippling any ability to dethreat for vets.

See the problem here though is you can dethreat currently by just buying character slots because every character has a seperate KDA.
So this whole "crippling vets from dethreating" is horse crap. All they have to do is buy a couple characters and do bad on them to balance their main's KDA.

Edited by CrunkGirl

19 minutes ago, CrunkGirl said:

See the problem here though is you can dethreat currently by just buying character slots because every character has a seperate KDA.
So this whole "crippling vets from dethreating" is horse crap. All they have to do is buy a couple characters and do bad on them to balance their main's KDA.

Not unless KDA is acc bound, meaning your KDA is your account and not char based

The main problem I see with kdr based threat comes from APB being a team based, objective based game. 

Its hard enough to get people to play as a team, making kdr the defining factor of threat would only encourage players to ignore the objectives and only worry about kills which in my opinion would make for a pretty dull game.

2 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

The main problem I see with kdr based threat comes from APB being a team based, objective based game. 

Its hard enough to get people to play as a team, making kdr the defining factor of threat would only encourage players to ignore the objectives and only worry about kills which in my opinion would make for a pretty dull game.

if you don’t play for kills how are you supposed to get an impressive scoreboard screenshot after the mission?

• Like 1

Very good point Cookie. This Thread/MMR thing is a real tuffie. I mean people rant about the MM in virtually every Game And APB is no eaysy one. Good Luck LO!

more segregation would only add nails to the coffin of apb

Little Orbit is working on solutions and testing out stuff

i don't think its a good idea to stick with what we know its how it got this bad - something else needs to be tried and tested - something that can be undone if it doesn't work

something like a jawbreaker grenade.... bust things up and have candy at the same time 😉

wish they had that in game btw