TheHidden-Tember

The hell did you do to the bounty system

1 minute ago, TheHidden-Tember said:

Did anything change visually? 😕
One of my complaints here is that the system had a slight change but none of the UI elements did.

I think only peoples that are in the mission should see the p5 symbol on top of the head of that specific player, not everyone, because is useless. You can't kill him/her anyway so, what's the point of it.

• Like 1

Just now, AlishaAzure said:

I think only peoples that are in the mission should see the p5 symbol on top of the head of that specific player, not everyone, because is useless. You can't kill him/her anyway so, what's the point of it.

yes. I agree.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheHidden-Tember said:

As I said before, games like CS GO and R6 have proper matchmaking BECAUSE they have thousands of players at any given time.

Can't do that in APB. Default matchmaking algorithms are bound to be bad if you only have 40 players on.
Also YES, fixing the matchmaking IS a good thing. It's just REALLY hard to do in the game's current pop state.

Just imagine that none of the teams can be balanced so the system tries to pit whoever can against each other.

The matchmaking will be improved significantly once the engine upgrade comes out as all world servers will be merged and phasing will be introduced which means that MM will pick from the entire pool of active players instead of just one district. Even with the current population, that will be a significant improvement for everyone and as it is the main reason new players can't enjoy the game, that will give them a chance to enjoy it more. The bounty system will not, especially if they want to take it seriously. If anything it will deter them if it comes back.

• Like 1

Just now, TheHidden-Tember said:

yes. I agree.

They just did a cuick update/change i think.

Let's see what the future will bring up.

1 hour ago, TheHidden-Tember said:

Also it's kind of jarring to see bounties everywhere on the map screen but I'm not allowed to kill them.

Ikr. It is just ridiculous how many are out there just minding their own business instead of running away.

Who even thought this was a good idea? It was intentionally put into the game to make it more tense and balanced when stomping. So why remove?

w9RHown.png

5 minutes ago, HawtGirl said:

Ikr. It is just ridiculous how many are out there just minding their own business instead of running away.

Who even thought this was a good idea? It was intentionally put into the game to make it more tense and balanced when stomping. So why remove?

w9RHown.png

I'm pretty that sure we already covered this in multiple threads. Being good should not be punishable in any PvP game, period. What is it that is still so unclear of why this is the way it should be?

2 minutes ago, Flaws said:

I'm pretty that sure we already covered this in multiple threads. Being good should not be punishable in any PvP game, period. What is it that is still so unclear of why this is the way it should be?

How is it punishable if you are getting rewarded for any other kill you make. It is more like bonus stage more than anything.

It is only "punishable" if you aren't really that good on the first place. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HawtGirl said:

How is it punishable if you are getting rewarded for any other kill you make. It is more like bonus stage more than anything.

It is only "punishable" if you aren't really that good on the first place. 

No offense but you clearly don't understand how this game works at a high level if you genuinely believe any of that (but you are silver threat so it's to be expected, again I don't mean to offend but it's facts). You even said it yourself that it "makes things more tense and balances it when you are getting stomped" yet you now claim that it's not a punishment and a "bonus stage" lol.

It is a massive punishment because it literally exposes you on the map for all players on the enemy team, it lets others who have nothing to do with your mission damage you which will no doubt interfere with your actual mission. Being bounty mid-mission directly compromises your entire mission if you are holding a spot, if you are doing an objective and so on, which is very often the difference between win and loss.

If you think that this isn't a punishment then that simply means that you don't even pay attention to most things that matter in the game when you play it. The radar, positioning, any kind of tactics at all that require team coordination and so on and all these things are compromised the moment you become bounty.

• Like 2

it's called a negative feedback loop. If you're doing good, it gets harder to do good. 

This allows new players to have a chance and find fun in the game.

Biggest problem we currently have is that new players just leave the game because matchmaking can't handle them.
Every negative feedback loop could help against this problem.

negative feedback loops are supposed to affect players doing well

the bounty system affects players doing good, average, or even poorly in their current mission

this is not a correct negative feedback loop, so it was removed

20 minutes ago, Flaws said:

but you are silver threat so it's to be expected, again I don't mean to offend but it's facts). 

I stopped reading here. You people act like you are the only ones who are gold in this game.

I have been bounty and I have been gold too. I came back after not playing the game for like 4 years. Just because I am rusty as heck that doesn't mean I know nothing about the game, not t mention it doesn't seems like much has changed over the years either. 

Dying as bounty sux but that is life. Not so hard to deal with it and it gives more to the game than it takes away.

Edited by HawtGirl

9 minutes ago, HawtGirl said:

I stopped reading here. You people act like you are the only ones who are gold in this game.

I have been bounty and I have been gold too. I came back after not playing the game for like 4 years. Just because I am rusty as heck that doesn't mean I know nothing about the game, not t mention it doesn't seems like much has changed over the years either. 

Dying as bounty sux but that is life. Not so hard to deal with it and it gives more to the game than it takes away.

I figured that you'd be one of those people who are going to get offended from an objective negative statement and I even said no offense twice. I explained it as it is, not as you'd like to hear it because that's where the truth is. You fail to understand why high skilled players have a problem with the bounty system so following basic logic it tells me that you are not a part of those players.

Edit to your edit: It's not "life" and it shouldn't be. It's a game and it's a game that is competitive at it's heart. The bounty system takes a massive portion of that competitiveness away and kills the drive for a lot of good players. It's not something that good players should have to deal with when they are indeed doing good in their games.

Edited by Flaws
  • Like 1

This isn't a bug, this is the devs FORGETTING to update every sub-mechanic related to bounties.
Instead they probably just toggled the switch that says "people outside mission can interact with you" and left it at that.
Bandaid patch.

they are working on the bounty system to tweak it  like they discussed for over a year now

1 minute ago, Flaws said:

You fail to understand why high skilled players have a problem with the bounty system

How does this sentence even make sense? They shouldn't have any problems with it if they are actually "skilled".

if you mean they are getting it too fast, that is just bad matchmaking. if you want to win so badly with a premade team vs randoms, that is one of the risks of the profession if you can even call it that since it rarely changes the outcome of a match if already stomping. 

4 minutes ago, HawtGirl said:

How does this sentence even make sense? They shouldn't have any problems with it if they are actually "skilled".

if you mean they are getting it too fast, that is just bad matchmaking. if you want to win so badly with a premade team vs randoms, that is one of the risks of the profession if you can even call it that since it rarely changes the outcome of a match if already stomping. 

Being skilled doesn't mean that you should deal with a sudden massive disadvantage because you are better than your opp. Not even blatant cheaters last long with a bounty on their head and that says a lot.

They should not be getting it at all to begin with, it has nothing to do with the matchmaking. If good players had the option to never face randoms and lesser players, almost all of them would take it 10/10 times because it is incredibly boring to play against a team that stands no chance. We are talking about the game at a high level, where two actual good teams compete against each other and suddenly one of them gets a random massive disadvantage for no logical reason other than terrible game design from 10 years ago. At high level, every little mistake can make you lose the entire mission and being bounty is absolutely terrible for competitive play. 

Edited by Flaws

2 minutes ago, Flaws said:

Being skilled doesn't mean that you should deal with a sudden massive disadvantage because you are better than your opp. Not even blatant cheaters last long with a bounty on their head and that says a lot.

They should not be getting it at all to begin with, it has nothing to do with the matchmaking. If good players had the option to never face randoms and lesser players, almost all of them would take it 10/10 times because it is incredibly boring to play against a team that stands no chance. We are talking about the game at a high level, where two actual good teams compete against each other and suddenly one of them gets a random massive disadvantage for no logical reason other than terrible game design from 10 years ago. At high level, every little mistake can make you lose the entire mission and being bounty is absolutely terrible for competitive play. 

How many times you actually get to fight a team of the same caliber (especially nowadays considering the low population the matchmaking is all over the place)

1 minute ago, HawtGirl said:

How many times you actually get to fight a team of the same caliber (especially nowadays considering the low population the matchmaking is all over the place)

That's not even relevant to the base mechanics of the game. The game should function correct and fair even if there are 10 people playing it.

Also, arranged matches.

lol

people think apb is a competitive shooter

let me know who is in the top 'apb teams' and then tell me its a competitive shooter

competitive shooter in games implies people can compete for winnings or actual tournaments lmao

apb is no where near competitive. the fucking missions arent even asymmetrical lmao

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Flaws said:

That's not even relevant to the base mechanics of the game. The game should function correct and fair even if there are 10 people playing it.

Also, arranged matches.

The fact that it is an open world pvp game makes it automatically unsuitable for competitive play. Everything that you can think of has rng or doesn't have mirror design. From the spawn points and weapon spread to someone blocking the road with dump trucks. The bounty system is the least of your problems. 

Don't even get me started on weapon balance. Some weapons are impossible to use while others are easy mode. 

Edited by HawtGirl
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alani said:

lol

let me know who is in the top 'apb teams' and then tell me its a competitive shooter

competitive shooter in games implies people can compete for winnings or actual tournaments lmao

apb is no where near competitive. the fucking missions arent even asymmetrical lmao

APB is competitive at it's heart but it has many mechanics that were added for one reason or another that tend to derail that such as the massive amounts of RNG, bounties, collissions out of mission and so on. Which are also the reason this game barely sees any "tournaments", because it's not even close to being polished enough to be taken seriously to the point where money is put on the line. If the game had no competitive potential then no one would take it as a competitive game, play arranged, organise community tourneys and so on.

19 minutes ago, HawtGirl said:

The fact that it is an open world pvp game makes it automatically unsuitable for competitive play. Everything that you can think of has rng or doesn't have mirror design. From the spawn points and weapon spread to someone blocking the road with dump trucks. The bounty system is the least of your problems. 

Don't even get me started on weapon balance. Some weapons are impossible to use while others are easy mode. 

Indeed, those are more issues that must (and will) be addressed. A sandbox game of this nature already exists and it's called GTA, you can try that instead for the non-competitive side of urban warfare shooters.

Edited by Flaws

APB is competitive at it's heart but it has many mechanics that were added for one reason or another that tend to derail that such as the massive amounts of RNG, bounties, collissions out of mission and so on. Which are also the reason this game barely sees any "tournaments", because it's not even close to being polished enough to be taken seriously to the point where money is put on the line. If the game had no competitive potential then no one would take it as a competitive game, play arranged, organise community tourneys and so on.

im meaning competitive by the mean of it being used for tournaments and shit, not whether or not people think its a competitive game. game wasnt developed to be competitive at all. it was developed as a cooly cops vs robbers game with a similar style to gta. do not belive the delevopers even thought about a competitive scene at all considering the time it was developed such comeptitive shit was relegated to league of legends and csgo. 

if little obit wanna change the game i dont care, however if they want to push for so much change they might as well just develop a new game lmao

because everyone will see apb as a failed game and then see this weird new version and go 'what the fuck lol' and move on to look for a game with a different name.

• Like 1

Just now, Alani said:

im meaning competitive by the mean of it being used for tournaments and shit, not whether or not people think its a competitive game. game wasnt developed to be competitive at all. it was developed as a cooly cops vs robbers game with a similar style to gta. do not belive the delevopers even thought about a competitive scene at all considering the time it was developed such comeptitive shit was relegated to league of legends and csgo. 

if little obit wanna change the game i dont care, however if they want to push for so much change they might as well just develop a new game lmao

because everyone will see apb as a failed game and then see this weird new version and go 'what the fuck lol' and move on to look for a game with a different name.

I already explained in this very thread that APB was indeed created with it being more competitive than GTA in mind. Refer to my previous posts. It's only similar in setting and general concept, not even close in terms of actual gameplay and mechanics other than hijacking cars and it being open world in a city.

I already explained in this very thread that APB was indeed created with it being more competitive than GTA in mind. Refer to my previous posts. It's only similar in setting and general concept, not even close in terms of actual gameplay and mechanics other than hijacking cars and it being open world in a city.

sure sure

let me know when apb has fancy sponsored pro teams or whatever

APB is presneted as a Open World MMO/RPG PvP Shooter afaik.

I feel petty for people calling this game competitive and trying so hard to convince everyone including themselves it is.

The first thing anyone wants to try when you join this game is to kill everyone around, then you realize you can't so you just stick with missions for a while until you hit N5/P5.

In my personal experience it feels extremely rewarding to turn on bounty besides it pisses me off if I get killed by my own faction players or in a mission. But the fact that I'd be enable to kill everyone, even people on mission or at spawn base gives me an additional rush to that that I get playing intense missions (which barely happens anymore since a while already).

The whole point of the bounty system was to put you on the line of fire of everyone and try to survive, is not a "reward" or a "punishmen", is just an additional mechanic of this Open World MMO PvP Shooter, that is far from being a competitive game at all, and it is called All Points Bulletin if anyone knows what does that mean at all btw.

I don't feel like confronting with people who likes to consider this game competitive or that complain against "getting killed in mission from someone outside of it", but I really found very rewarding when I can stay on bounty during a mission, survive and then try to kill people and even helping my own faction on their misssion providing a +1 player. Feels like being a mercenary, a hero, an exceptional player and not a victim of an unfair system.

Anyways, LO is not listening, there's favoritism listening a small portion of the player base that made them believe they are the only ones that understand this game but you know what, it is not about the "game" but is more about the "experience" it could give to anyone who wants to try it.

Some people plays to taste the victory and play competitively, some people likes to have the experience of an Open World RPG in an urban environment, some others would like to feel they are part of something bigger than small 4 players teams and have the MMO experience interacting with all sort of players widely...

...more and more social factors of this game are being slowly killed in the last years, you can't check /who is in the district anymore, you can't add friends that are not online to get notified when they are playing the game again, it doesn't worth to use the marketplace at Social district anymore because there are taxes that you bypass by direct trading...

...now it doesn't worth to even be "that" player that turns on bounty and people would be afraid knowing you will take them down or that someone would like to hunt you down everytime you turn on bounty if you both are in the same district...game is screwed, it is being modified to the taste of that small group of remaining players and nothing that has been made by LO responds to what the game actually means by its design.

I wish developers could work on their own instead of "listening" to a community that has been broken and rotten since years ago but hey, I guess money talks.

2 hours ago, TheHidden-Tember said:

APB may be a competitive experience for some of you, however it really shouldn't try that hard to be a genereic shooter. APB should be its own unique game.

I play this game to have FUN

The bounty system was a GREAT negative feedback system because it gave good players an additionnal penalty (being killable by anyone in the district) which is a GREAT mechanic.

The ONLY thing that remains and that you forgot to change is that as an enforcer, killing a bounty STILL drops your prestige to 0.

This was a thing way back when killing criminal bounties as crim would bring you money as a way to keep enforcers from killing each other as bounties, but it has been unchanged since the inception of APB.

The only point of bounties now is to lose all my standing by mistake if I do a teamkill.

Also it's kind of jarring to see bounties everywhere on the map screen but I'm not allowed to kill them.

Give it back.

Also please stop changing this game one tiny tweak at a time, if you wanted to change the bounty system you should have completely revamped everything and every ramification of it, not just disable district fire.
---

Slowly turning APB into a generic shooter experience but with bad netcode.
Slowly removing everything that makes this game unique.
Slowly turning copsVScrims into blueVSred

---
edit:
To clarify. The way I see it, changing the bounty system as a whole is not necessarely a bad thing. But it HAS to be a coherent change, not just a slapped-on one. Among the things that should be changed:
- the map screen shouldn't even show bounties anymore unless they're in your mission
- killing your own bounty as a cop shouldn't result in 0 standing if you're going the "copsVScrims = blueVSred" route.
- You shouldn't even be able to SEE the bounty icon above the head of someone you can't shoot. It serves no purpose

Amen.

2 hours ago, Westford said:

This is what's confusing for me.

There may be some bounties that are not in mission, but the only indicator of this that I am aware of,

is to shoot them.

If they are out of mission they will take damage, if they are in mission, they won't.

Seems kind of wonky, or is this a bug ?

Shouldn't there be some indicator to determine if the bounty is in mission vs not in mission ?

Now that you mention it, this is an issue.

2 hours ago, TheHidden-Tember said:

This isn't a bug, this is the devs FORGETTING to update every sub-mechanic related to bounties.
Instead they probably just toggled the switch that says "people outside mission can interact with you" and left it at that.
Bandaid patch.

It feels like the developers/QA team on LO are acting compulsively by the pressure that a small group of players put on them, the dynamic of how all these modifications that LO applied since they arrived are showing a pattern, where some particular groups of players become vocal pushing these changes while other different kind of players that are not so organic in their expressions and community interactions seems irrelevant.

That's why I think these changes keeps coming in the way they come but nothing else has been made in regards of the "second hand" group of players complains that pops up here and there when they notice some changes they don't like.

I still hold my hopes and I think the game will improve with the announced Engine Upgrade, new contacts and such, but I hope LO takes note of the "small" but widely spread group of players complaining about stuff that gives the feeling of the game being more broken than ever.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 2:58 AM, Selali said:

The current plan is to make modifications to this system but we did not want to take any development time away from 2.1 to make that change now. Instead we are doing this for the time being to get feedback on which way the community, as a whole, likes better.

I didn't find this mentioned anywhere in here,  but this is just a temporary change. It should get more work to it at some point

And the current way it works is just that it doesn't allow Heat 5 (So both Notoriety and Prestige 5) players to shoot, or get shot by, anyone that is not in their mission

Edited by Kevkof

1 hour ago, Alani said:

lol

Have you ever played any arranged matches, just as Flaws said? I don't really play those anymore, but back in the ol' Hoplon days --brazilian game publisher that died a while ago --, we used to play some arranged matches and it WAS something else. When you narrow down the things which make this game "unique" but at the same time RNG-based, the player experience turns into something way bigger, and actually unique, than just an open-world pvp like GTA.

I mean, anything can be a competitive game as long as there are people willing to play at their best, mobile competitive is the living proof of it. You can't ruin the experience of these people who are actually trying just because you want run around and have fun. The way the game was made doesn't mean it's not competitive. If devs had this mentality of prioritizing the casual player instead of the competitive one, eSports would never exist. There wouldn't be a 'Farming Simulator Championship' or even a mobile ones like I've said.

• Like 1