Westford

Huge Silver misconception ... Let's set the record straight..

3 hours ago, Zascha said:

Yeah, there's too much overexplanation, overcomplication, and ego-stroking in this.

In all my years of playing this game, I've noticed there are four types of players in this game. It's the same four types of players you find in any other game:

1. Noobs who don't know anything.

2. Casuals who don't know much about the game and don't care to know.

3. Casuals who know a lot about the game but don't care to Tryhard or use that knowledge.

4. Competitives--also known as Tryhards.

*5. This isn't really a category, but it's interesting to note. There is a small group of people who actually fall somewhere between 2 and 3 who ONLY play with 4's to essentially reap the benefits of the 4's popularity or notoriety. I call them Gold Diggers. These are usually the ones with the biggest mouths and talk the most shit to other people who complain about cheaters or something being unfair. Lots of people in these forums like this, I think. Basically, their goal is to feel like they're better than other people somehow.

You'll notice the Threat Colors correspond to these Categories:

1. They're Green's or Bronze.

2. They usually dance between Bronze and Silver.

3. They usually dance between Silver and Gold. (This is where most of your Dethreaters come from, because they don't want to play against Category 4.)

4. They're usually always Gold.

But also, the way the Threat system works is FUBAR, because people who are in Category 2 sometimes go Gold because maybe they get a lot of wins. The difference between Category 2's and 3's is something which isn't really tracked in the game because there's no way to track how much you know about the game and how much you care about winning.

All this stuff about Game Sense, Mechanics, Awareness, all this other crap is just ego-stroking from folks who thinks they have some kind of elite knowledge. You do the same stuff in this game as you do in any other game. There's not some secret tactical information in APB that you either know or don't know.

You either know the map or you don't.

You either know how to work the spawns or you don't.

You either know how to work the weapon ranges or you don't.

You either know to gang up on one guy or you don't.

You either communicate what is going on or you don't.

You either know to play with minimum settings for maximum frames or you don't.

You either know to manipulate your mouse DPI and sensitivity or you don't.

And lastly, you either use cheats or you don't. (Put here, because it happens, though it's not technically an aspect I am referring to.)

So basically:

You either want to expend the energy to actually do all of that stuff or you don't.

You either play only with other people who want to do it or you don't--This is primarily why PUG's don't work against Pre-Mades.

A team of four players who all fall into Category 4, they will always beat another crew that is not entirely made up of any other Category.

Another caveat to this is people who claim they don't care and seem to be able to manage all of the above. It's not correct. They do care. They are actually concentrating on these things intently, at least some of the time.

And then you have people who have played together for so long, they can do a lot of this stuff on auto-pilot.

Basically, you either want to Tryhard, or you don't want to Tryhard.

The reason this game is frustrating is because you have two groups of people who have entirely different expectations for this game, and they're constantly forced to play together. I cannot tell you how many times I have said, "Why are we OPPed against these guys over and over and over again? Where are all the people who are like us?" My only estimation is they either quit the game, or they've decided to dethreat to play in the Bronze District. This issue is only exacerbated by the fact that the Tryhards WILL NOT play in the proper District--Gold District. They WILL without fail go to the Silver district. I believe this is because APB has historically had a serious problem with Cheaters, both Blatant and Closet. This is exactly why RP decided some time ago to experiment with Silver/Gold Locking Districts. This didn't work, however, primarily because of how the Threat system works. A Category 2 can easily jump into Gold, and they end up doing the Threat Dance I mentioned above--and it's just frustrating and not fun. Basically, the Threat System is FUBAR.

Either way, this forced Opposition scenario has created a false sense of inflated ego inside the minds of Tryhards (like they're doing something amazing) mostly because they're children, or they're at the age where they think any of this stuff even matters. To them, it's important that they're good. It's the same mindset when people try to say, "I beat/play the game on the Hardest Difficulty because it means I'm awesome." In reality--who cares? Well, obviously someone cares. Not that I have any room to judge them--to each their own. It's something that is important to them, and so... all right. Fair enough. Regardless, folks are forced to play against them. In the end, however, all it does is reward the person who really cares and punishes the person who is just trying to have a good time.

So, that, in my estimation, is what I see is the biggest problem in this game. Cheaters were the biggest problem, but since LO brought in BattleEye and FairFight is still active, I feel they have done everything they can for that problem. And so, I have confidence in their resolution for that. Their next main objective should be tackling the issue with the Threat System and the Match-Making in general to help alleviate the problem I mentioned above.

b61.gif

You seriously got something out of your chest...

If you're in the forums to troll, you're here for the wrong reasons. If you are here for drama, you also are not welcome. Perhaps it would do everyone some good to go back to the beginning thread of forum rules before an administrative member makes entrance on this fiasco.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zascha said:

Yeah, there's too much overexplanation, overcomplication, and ego-stroking in this.

In all my years of playing this game, I've noticed there are four types of players in this game. It's the same four types of players you find in any other game:

3. Casuals who know a lot about the game but don't care to Tryhard or use that knowledge.

*5. This isn't really a category, but it's interesting to note. There is a small group of people who actually fall somewhere between 2 and 3 who ONLY play with 4's to essentially reap the benefits of the 4's popularity or notoriety. I call them Gold Diggers. These are usually the ones with the biggest mouths and talk the most shit to other people who complain about cheaters or something being unfair. Lots of people in these forums like this, I think. Basically, their goal is to feel like they're better than other people somehow.

3. They usually dance between Silver and Gold. (This is where most of your Dethreaters come from, because they don't want to play against Category 4.)

But also, the way the Threat system works is FUBAR, because people who are in Category 2 sometimes go Gold because maybe they get a lot of wins. The difference between Category 2's and 3's is something which isn't really tracked in the game because there's no way to track how much you know about the game and how much you care about winning.

All this stuff about Game Sense, Mechanics, Awareness, all this other crap is just ego-stroking from folks who thinks they have some kind of elite knowledge. You do the same stuff in this game as you do in any other game. There's not some secret tactical information in APB that you either know or don't know.

And lastly, you either use cheats or you don't. (Put here, because it happens, though it's not technically an aspect I am referring to.)

So basically:

You either want to expend the energy to actually do all of that stuff or you don't.

You either play only with other people who want to do it or you don't--This is primarily why PUG's don't work against Pre-Mades.

A team of four players who all fall into Category 4, they will always beat another crew that is not entirely made up of any other Category.

Another caveat to this is people who claim they don't care and seem to be able to manage all of the above. It's not correct. They do care. They are actually concentrating on these things intently, at least some of the time.

And then you have people who have played together for so long, they can do a lot of this stuff on auto-pilot.

The reason this game is frustrating is because you have two groups of people who have entirely different expectations for this game, and they're constantly forced to play together. I cannot tell you how many times I have said, "Why are we OPPed against these guys over and over and over again? Where are all the people who are like us?" My only estimation is they either quit the game, or they've decided to dethreat to play in the Bronze District. This issue is only exacerbated by the fact that the Tryhards WILL NOT play in the proper District--Gold District. They WILL without fail go to the Silver district. I believe this is because APB has historically had a serious problem with Cheaters, both Blatant and Closet. This is exactly why RP decided some time ago to experiment with Silver/Gold Locking Districts. This didn't work, however, primarily because of how the Threat system works. A Category 2 can easily jump into Gold, and they end up doing the Threat Dance I mentioned above--and it's just frustrating and not fun. Basically, the Threat System is FUBAR.

Either way, this forced Opposition scenario has created a false sense of inflated ego inside the minds of Tryhards (like they're doing something amazing) mostly because they're children, or they're at the age where they think any of this stuff even matters. To them, it's important that they're good. It's the same mindset when people try to say, "I beat/play the game on the Hardest Difficulty because it means I'm awesome." In reality--who cares? Well, obviously someone cares. Not that I have any room to judge them--to each their own. It's something that is important to them, and so... all right. Fair enough. Regardless, folks are forced to play against them. In the end, however, all it does is reward the person who really cares and punishes the person who is just trying to have a good time.

So, that, in my estimation, is what I see is the biggest problem in this game. Cheaters were the biggest problem, but since LO brought in BattleEye and FairFight is still active, I feel they have done everything they can for that problem. And so, I have confidence in their resolution for that. Their next main objective should be tackling the issue with the Threat System and the Match-Making in general to help alleviate the problem I mentioned above.

Thread should've ended here. This is EXACTLY how it is. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zascha said:

[...]

[...]

But those are exactly the things you list below?

Whether it's "elite knowledge" or "secret tactical information" is maybe debatable. It's not like you either know or don't know those things. There are different levels to them too.

So no, you're really just wrong if you think it's black and white.

On 6/9/2018 at 9:31 AM, Westford said:

Killed mid level to high rank Golds on the regular .....

since we only can see colors and not if they are gold 1 or gold 10 how would you know they are mid or low golds?

hard fact

most golds are bad

every silver is bad

sorry to hurt your feelings.

anyone can improve though if theyre willing.

Edited by Virgil

11 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

But those are exactly the things you list below?

Whether it's "elite knowledge" or "secret tactical information" is maybe debatable. It's not like you either know or don't know those things. There are different levels to them too.

So no, you're really just wrong if you think it's black and white.

What I'm saying is these mystical catch-phrases making this stuff out to be like it's some sacred knowledge only good players know about is nonsense. You either know it or you don't know it. Are you going to try and explain to me how there is some middle ground between knowing something and not knowing something? Did you know that the Sky is Blue? You probably did. Therefore, there's no way you can't not know that.

And it's quite honestly insane to me to think that most people don't know these things, since they're frankly the same things in every single Multiplayer Shooter:

Map knowledge comes with repetition of play. This is probably one of the most important aspects to any Online Shooter, and is probably the only thing in this list that isn't binary. It's practically half the game.

Spawns can be tricky at first, but they aren't that tricky. When you respawn, you look to see where you can't spawn. That's where the enemy is. It flashes White, Yellow, and Red. There's no gray area to question, here.

Weapon Ranges can be a lot of information to tackle, but you don't even need to memorize it. It's not even something you have to micromanage. Snipers and Rifles are for long range. Shotguns and SMGs are for short range. And Assault Rifles are for everything else. There's nothing to this.

You either stick with a buddy and double team stragglers or you don't worry about that kind of coordination. Again, there's no middle ground or room for confusion.

You're either calling out enemy locations and damage tags, or you aren't. How can you be maybe doing this?

Playing with lower Graphics Settings is the first thing anyone does in any game that runs crappy. It doesn't even have to run crappy. It's probably the first thing folks do, just to see how awesome their rig is. Competitive players always play on the lowest settings. People who don't care to be competitive probably find a balance between fidelity and performance. You either do this or you don't.

Mouse DPI settings are somewhat advanced to tinker with. It's not common knowledge. I mean, most people are going to use a setting that's comfortable for them. But most of the top end players use really low sensitivity and DPI so their mouse speed equals the movement speed of the enemy player. They do this for better tracking. You're either going to do this or not do it. You either know to do this or you don't know to do it.

You either use cheats or you don't use cheats. There's no, "I sort of use cheats, but not really." And that's to say nothing of the other sketchy stuff like macros.

All of these, with the exception of Map Knowledge and maybe if you want to get technical about Weapon Range Knowledge, are binary. If you want to Tryhard, you're going to do all of this. If you don't want to Tryhard, these are the things you lax on. It's like a toggle. You're either doing these things or you aren't doing these things.

So yes, I really am just right to say it's black and white.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zascha said:

So basically:

i think your definition of tryhard is skewed honestly, i see far more borderline gold/high silvers cheesing the game as hard as possible vs the high golds who don’t 

id also argue that wanting a game that has stable performance isn’t really try hard either 

Just now, BXNNXD said:

i think your definition of tryhard is skewed honestly, i see far more borderline gold/high silvers cheesing the game as hard as possible vs the high golds who don’t 

id also argue that wanting a game that has stable performance isn’t really try hard either 

I never gave a definition of Tryhard, per say, and I didn't write a fully exhaustive list of all the stuff [cheese] they do. I have been down this route too many times with this community to waste my time being so precise with these little essays. It's never perfect enough, and the longer it gets, the fewer people read it. I've already been trolled twice in this thread just for writing something long, but insightful. People are just going to have to give me a damn break on this stuff and give me the benefit of the doubt. You don't have to, but I'm not going to write a full blown dissertation on the state of this game.

Having said that, one thing Tryhards do that I didn't think of at the time was constantly changing guns to suit the mission objective. But it's pointless, because it's just one more thing you're either going to do or not do.

the only difference between me and a high silver is weed

Lolololololol. West, westy, buddy. Im sorry I really am, some people are mean about it sure but it doesn't really change anything. There are reasons players are silver and saying a career silver is even as good as midrange golds is a stretch. If you remain silver after a few hundered hours of gameplay something has gone horribly wrong or you just aren't a siq gaymer and you are in the bracket you belong in my guy. Whatever way you look at it this thread is mildy pointless and you're lucky the new mods are more chill because this dumpster fire of a post would have been locked by now. 

1 hour ago, Zascha said:

What I'm saying is these mystical catch-phrases making this stuff out to be like it's some sacred knowledge only good players know about is nonsense. You either know it or you don't know it. Are you going to try and explain to me how there is some middle ground between knowing something and not knowing something? Did you know that the Sky is Blue? You probably did. Therefore, there's no way you can't not know that.

[...]

Even your metaphor is flawed since there are variables that change your blue sky. So the question is not "Did you know that the Sky is Blue" but "Did you know when the Sky is Blue".

So it is about knowing something and not knowing something under changing premises. Knowing all these shades is what makes a player a good player so it is far from nonsense.

The only point I agree with you is about cheats. All others can be broken down to a much more broader level.

21 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

Even your metaphor is flawed since there are variables that change your blue sky. So the question is not "Did you know that the Sky is Blue" but "Did you know when the Sky is Blue".

So it is about knowing something and not knowing something under changing premises. Knowing all these shades is what makes a player a good player so it is far from nonsense.

The only point I agree with you is about cheats. All others can be broken down to a much more broader level.

First of all, it's an analogy, not a metaphor.

Secondly, it doesn't matter how vast it is--it's still just being utilized or not being utilized.

Also, the sky is either blue or it is not blue. There is no other way to look at it.

Lastly, you're just arguing semantics here, really. Nothing you've said changed the principles I was talking about. You're basically arguing, "You're wrong, because you didn't go into the minute detail." And I'm saying, "So what? You know what the minute detail is. Whatever detail you want to add to the list--fine, do it. It still uses the same principle."

I'm sorry I didn't list out all the things. I tried to be somewhat brief with this. But regardless, it doesn't matter. There's no secret knowledge in the game that you insist makes up the difference. There just isn't. That's exactly what I was explaining in the post. There is no secret. You're asserting that the Emperor has new clothes, and he doesn't.

Edited by Zascha
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zascha said:

I never gave a definition of Tryhard, per say, and I didn't write a fully exhaustive list of all the stuff [cheese] they do. I have been down this route too many times with this community to waste my time being so precise with these little essays. It's never perfect enough, and the longer it gets, the fewer people read it. I've already been trolled twice in this thread just for writing something long, but insightful. People are just going to have to give me a damn break on this stuff and give me the benefit of the doubt. You don't have to, but I'm not going to write a full blown dissertation on the state of this game.

Having said that, one thing Tryhards do that I didn't think of at the time was constantly changing guns to suit the mission objective. But it's pointless, because it's just one more thing you're either going to do or not do.

how is changing guns to suit the objective tryhard lol, i think the real issue is clearly some people see “playing well” as “tryharding” and vice versa when they’re two different things 

32 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

how is changing guns to suit the objective tryhard lol, i think the real issue is clearly some people see “playing well” as “tryharding” and vice versa when they’re two different things 

No. Don't play dumb. You know exactly what I'm talking about.

Most people don't change their guns for every single mission objective change and switch up their mods and go through all that rigmarole to suit every tiny change. The reason is because the interface to do so is time consuming and cumbersome, especially if you're switching around mods. But there are people who suffer through it no matter what.

You're trying to portray something that actually takes a considerable amount of time, especially if you don't already have an ammo box or something equipped, as something that just everyone does.

That's the point. Not everyone just does that, even though they know to do it, because they just want to use the gun they're already using. It's not "Playing well" vs "Playing badly." It's "Tryharding" and "Casual."

There's nothing wrong with being a Casual player. You're trying to make it sound like there is--which is whatever everyone does, and it's just stupidity and wrong.

Edited by Zascha
  • Like 1

Just now, Zascha said:

No. Don't play dumb. You know exactly what I'm talking about.

Most people don't change their guns for every single mission objective change and switch up their mods and go through all that rigmarole to suit every tiny change. The reason is because the interface to do so is time consuming and cumbersome, especially if you're switching around mods. But there are people who suffer through it no matter what.

You're trying to portray something that actually takes a considerable amount of time, especially if you don't already have an ammo box or something equipped, as something that just everyone does.

That's the point. Not everyone just does that, even though they know to do it, because they just want to use the gun they're already using. It's not "Playing well" vs "Playing badly." It's "Tryharding" and "Not Tryharding."

if we’re talking switching guns every stage then sure that could def be tryhard, i rarely see any people i’d consider “high golds” do that tho

This guy managed to stay Gold

really no excuse to be Silver unless you just don't care about improving whatsoever

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, :^) said:

really no excuse to be Silver unless you just don't care about improving whatsoever

oof... gottem

48 minutes ago, Zascha said:

First of all, it's an analogy, not a metaphor.

Secondly, it doesn't matter how vast it is--it's still just being utilized or not being utilized.

Also, the sky is either blue or it is not blue. There is no other way to look at it.

Lastly, you're just arguing semantics here, really. Nothing you've said changed the principles I was talking about. You're basically arguing, "You're wrong, because you didn't go into the minute detail." And I'm saying, "So what? You know what the minute detail is. Whatever detail you want to add to the list--fine, do it. It still uses the same principle."

I'm sorry I didn't list out all the things. I tried to be somewhat brief with this. But regardless, it doesn't matter. There's no secret knowledge in the game that you insist makes up the difference. There just isn't. That's exactly what I was explaining in the post. There is no secret. You're asserting that the Emperor has new clothes, and he doesn't.

It does matter it changes everything. The details are what make the difference. You just decided to dumb it down to the most basic point so you can claim as yes/no statement.

Also please, show me where I insist on the existence of "secret knowledge". I said it is maybe debatable since there are definitely certain tricks which aren't obvious to know but again going into a rather vague definition issue hence the "maybe".

9 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

It does matter it changes everything. The details are what make the difference. You just decided to dumb it down to the most basic point so you can claim as yes/no statement.

Also please, show me where I insist on the existence of "secret knowledge". I said it is maybe debatable since there are definitely certain tricks which aren't obvious to know but again going into a rather vague definition issue hence the "maybe".

No. It's basic for the sake of brevity.

I'm not going to write this shit out like it's a damn Tutorial for you guys. You're arguing with me because I didn't list your entire laundry list of minutia.

Too bad.

It doesn't change the principle.

Threat barely means anything honestly. After coming back to PC I've been up and down from gold and silver. Personally I'm probably silver. My aim has gone from shit to absolute shit, and my PC struggles with APB still. I've got loads of knowledge about the game from wasting so much of my life playing it. I can predict movements and everything pretty well. Just my execution is crap since my aim is terrible. I'll surprise people by predicting where they will be going and setting up accordingly, but then i can hardly ever get the kill lol.

Threat is really pointless. I went from silver back to gold while playing with 2 friends. I went 0-0-3 for the mission and only helped in blowing up car spawns and capturing the lone capture point that's off by itself and not near the other two. So yeah.

I hope LO implements a better system.

25 minutes ago, Zascha said:

No. It's basic for the sake of brevity.

I'm not going to write this shit out like it's a damn Tutorial for you guys. You're arguing with me because I didn't list your entire laundry list of minutia.

Too bad.

It doesn't change the principle.

but knowing the minutia is exactly the knowledge that would separate a gold from a silver, how can it not change the principle

45 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

but knowing the minutia is exactly the knowledge that would separate a gold from a silver, how can it not change the principle

Because it doesn't matter what it is. All that shit you're talking about--you're either doing it or you aren't doing it.

1 hour ago, :^) said:

how do you get from silver to gold anyway

i keep trying but my teammates suck on top of getting a bunch of seal clubbers and i end up dethreating to bronze