greenfield

Regarding Threat Segregation

Hi everyone. So i see Matt posted that maybe by end of next week we'll have the segregation back

Hi all,

We're now very close to finally being completed.

The remaining Europe servers will be delivered on Monday, and it is my hope to have them up and running by the end of next week.

As soon as all servers are online, then we can re-activate threat.

Thanks,
Matt

I understand people who wants it back.. some players in this game are trying so hard that it really kills the fun for everyone else.

But there is also another side.. Considering the current population, in the low hours its usually only 1 bronze instance active.  So, if, by any chance, you can play only at this time, and you are gold.. then its a game over for you.. 😞

So with this said, maybe as a work around, why not have this segregation active only on peak hours and disabled in low hours?

7KbTfec.png

• Like 1

pretty sure this would just lead to more bronzes quitting, which would lower the pop, which would extend no segregation hours, which would lead to more bronzes quitting, which would lower the pop, which would extend no segregation hours, which would lead to more bronzes quitting, etc, etc, etc 

on the other hand players are already quitting because the game is bad beyond just low pop and threat segregation, so might as well give it a shot

Threat segregation is the best solution till engine upgrade with the cross instance matchmaking for now. It’s not okay that I get r9 bronzies against me now. And as solamente said, turning segregation off in low hours will cause bronze district die because all tryhards will join it and ruin the game for bronzes

Edited by Lign

This is for the people who pretend not to play apb while threat segregation is disabled and the guy who places their hope on the 'cross instance' thing.

Matchmaking isn't as shit as people make it out too be. It only appears to be shit because the longer a person waits, the larger the gap between threat levels becomes. Player A will begin queuing for a mission and the longer he waits the larger the gap becomes as matchmaking lessens the threat restrictions for the opposition. If player B logs in and he is bronze, and Player A's matchmaking has been ongoing for some time, there is a chance Player B will end up as opposition as matchmaking detected B is within the level matchmaking is looking for.

This 'cross instance' matchmaking will not fix any problems for North American server. It will only fix some issues for the Europeans. Unless they change matchmaking completely you will still end up fighting against players of higher or lower threat the longer you wait. You also have to think, when NA had threat segregation you had a choice between Waterfront or Financial. You never were able to join both because the population simply was too low to support both districts. Cross Instance will only matter if they're in the same district. As you can see with threat segregation disabled, cross instance or not. You will be playing the same as before the cross thing.

Now if the company decides to be extra stupid, they will remove the server restrictions and increase the amount of population by creating one whole server. Cross instance would work well then if you like playing against opposition who have ping doubled of yours. Since the beginning of APB:R the servers have always been shit when it comes to registering shots between players who have high ping separation. So unless they are going to fix their servers and not just change where they're located cross instance will just cause more people to stop playing as it will appear the game is on the last leg and desperate to get people matches without caring for their location.

If they were to simply prevent matchmaking from widening the threat level gap as the player waited, it will just increase the time it takes to get a mission but lower the chances of players fighting against others whose threat levels are too low or too high than them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greenfield said:

Hi everyone. So i see Matt posted that maybe by end of next week we'll have the segregation back

I understand people who wants it back.. some players in this game are trying so hard that it really kills the fun for everyone else.

But there is also another side.. Considering the current population, in the low hours its usually only 1 bronze instance active.  So, if, by any chance, you can play only at this time, and you are gold.. then its a game over for you.. 😞

So with this said, maybe as a work around, why not have this segregation active only on peak hours and disabled in low hours?

7KbTfec.png

iStopped playing apb  because of the golds , and group of my friends also , we are all basically waiting for the threats districts to come back , no fun for us , so i disagree on this ~

• Like 1

#bringbackgoldrush

I don't think there will ever be an easy solution to threat and matchmaking but it won't stop me trying.

3 hours ago, Alani said:

If they were to simply prevent matchmaking from widening the threat level gap as the player waited, it will just increase the time it takes to get a mission but lower the chances of players fighting against others whose threat levels are too low or too high than them.

I think most other games simply brute-force it with sheer population numbers so they don't have to resort to the "widen threat level gap"  in order to get players into actual missions. I remember the days before the extreme widening happened - it really was during off-peak periods up to a 30 minute wait for matches. AND I'm all for that returning IF WE HAD SOMETHING TO DO DURING THAT WAIT. But that aside I think the other option - if they can't stop the widening, is to increase the rewards for fighting in "unfair" missions. 

Maybe a lesser version of the "gold rush" event - but this time permanent and not G1C (or maybe a little G1C pls?) - I know this could no doubt be exploited to all hecking full but let's pretend we're not all exploiting assholes and increase the rewards or adding in a little something special if the Threat Gap is beyond a certain level for a mission? Make all the pain and suffering of going 0-22 in a mission slightly worth it by giving an extra big pat on the back to the little guys. 

Using some coding wizardry to define exact % values for % extra rewards on threat gap would be nice. IDK how you'd fix people dethreating to themselves in order to gain higher rewards but why are we talking like dethreating isn't already an issue that happens anyway? My only guess on how to deal with that is to just give the extra rewards in the form of existing rewards i.e. Contact Progression and $APB (and JTs?) but idk if that's enough to make it worth.

Edited by KnifuWaifu
wrong link, although I'd still love that PvE RIOT mode
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KnifuWaifu said:

#bringbackgoldrush

I don't think there will ever be an easy solution to threat and matchmaking but it won't stop me trying.

I think most other games simply brute-force it with sheer population numbers so they don't have to resort to the "widen threat level gap"  in order to get players into actual missions. I remember the days before the extreme widening happened - it really was during off-peak periods up to a 30 minute wait for matches. AND I'm all for that returning IF WE HAD SOMETHING TO DO DURING THAT WAIT. But that aside I think the other option - if they can't stop the widening, is to increase the rewards for fighting in "unfair" missions. 

Maybe a lesser version of the "gold rush" event - but this time permanent and not G1C (or maybe a little G1C pls?) - I know this could no doubt be exploited to all hecking full but let's pretend we're not all exploiting assholes and increase the rewards or adding in a little something special if the Threat Gap is beyond a certain level for a mission? Make all the pain and suffering of going 0-22 in a mission slightly worth it by giving an extra big pat on the back to the little guys. 

Using some coding wizardry to define exact % values for % extra rewards on threat gap would be nice. IDK how you'd fix people dethreating to themselves in order to gain higher rewards but why are we talking like dethreating isn't already an issue that happens anyway? My only guess on how to deal with that is to just give the extra rewards in the form of existing rewards i.e. Contact Progression and $APB (and JTs?) but idk if that's enough to make it worth.

pretty much, most other games have many many many more players to pool from. They don't have a pool of 45 players to choose from.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, KnifuWaifu said:

#bringbackgoldrush

Fuck, just returning drug mule and other ambient events but allowing people to be forced into missions would decrease people leaving just because of wait times.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Noob_Guardian said:

pretty much, most other games have many many many more players to pool from. They don't have a pool of 45 players to choose from.

Yeah, so much like APB's spaghetti code and the reason why we keep coming back to this game - it's all unique to APB. So we need solutions that work to APB's strengths instead of trying to replicate what other games do without having the resources that other games have which is why they work in those environments. 

6 minutes ago, Alani said:

Fuck, just returning drug mule and other ambient events but allowing people to be forced into missions would decrease people leaving just because of wait times.

oh wow I remember drug mule, good times - although my only caveat would be to maybe put up a prompt to players to Y/N before getting thrown into mission because much like ram-raiding while K'd up, it sucks to lose all that progress when a wild mission appears. Even better would be if it just paused your progress so you can pick up where you left off afterwards.

8 hours ago, greenfield said:

Eh? There is always at least 1 server for each threat active at the time. Also if anything there are more golds and silvers than bronze players active. 

Oh, and another thing. Even if they remove it during low hours, even less people will have reason to play during that time. 

Edited by HawtGirl

15 hours ago, greenfield said:

we need more people to play

that would chase people off

no thank you this past month or so of this has been bad enough

10 hours ago, Noob_Guardian said:

Less than 45. The majority of those 45 will already be in a mission. So the pool is more like 10.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KnifuWaifu said:

Yeah, so much like APB's spaghetti code and the reason why we keep coming back to this game - it's all unique to APB. So we need solutions that work to APB's strengths instead of trying to replicate what other games do without having the resources that other games have which is why they work in those environments. 

oh wow I remember drug mule, good times - although my only caveat would be to maybe put up a prompt to players to Y/N before getting thrown into mission because much like ram-raiding while K'd up, it sucks to lose all that progress when a wild mission appears. Even better would be if it just paused your progress so you can pick up where you left off afterwards.

the issue isnt just about the code and matchmaking. The community still needs some massive work lol

10 hours ago, HawtGirl said:

Eh? There is always at least 1 server for each threat active at the time.

Yeah, but that instance is usually empty or below 10 players.. so you're not really getting any opposed missions.  

Meh based on feedback from this thread, unlikely any additional consideration will be given to this issue.. Seems like we're in a stage of trades-offs, fixing one issue will just create another and so on : / 

21 minutes ago, greenfield said:

Yeah, but that instance is usually empty or below 10 players.. so you're not really getting any opposed missions.  

Meh based on feedback from this thread, unlikely any additional consideration will be given to this issue.. Seems like we're in a stage of trades-offs, fixing one issue will just create another and so on : / 

Player count in districts is indeed problematic even when there are enough players.

I feel like the best way to go will be to remove server select and just have the game maintaining server space based on skill level proportional to player count (not necessarily limited to exact thread). However that will have to be a completely new system.

Edited by HawtGirl

9 hours ago, Noob_Guardian said:

the issue isnt just about the code and matchmaking. The community still needs some massive work lol

why-not-both.jpg

The comment on the code was just that APB's code is unique to APB - which is our blessing and our bane, much like basically everything about APB. But you're right the community is a factor too, it all needs massive work imo but just with solutions that are unique to APB and not borrowed from games that simply aren't APB in any shape or form.

• Like 1

Op its literally on point.  Bringing back threats will leave silver districts empty since majority of this remaining pop are dethreaters.

At silver /gold districts you will have remaining of "pro" rank 40's who blatantly hack in a dead game tryharding to kill game even more by forcing legits to quit. Playing on trash account that ll take 2-3 months for eac to ban it, so that kid can in 2 min create new one with fake email and repeat process of harassment. 

Nobody cares that bronzes will leave, since bronzes are newcomers and they dont keep this game alive nor they care to invest real life money for a game they dont care for.  Golds and silvers keep this game alive. Golds and veteran silvers buys any shit from armas just to support LO for that engine finally. And golds and silvers will leave the game because there wont be physically any district to join to.  

Even now when there are no threats and everybody can play anywhere, entire population at weekends is barely 2 full financials and 1 half empty waterfront district. 

Means all of us together, bronzes, silvers, greens, golds, cant fill up even 3 full districts during most attractive time such as weekends middle of the days. 

Bringing back threat system will erase silver and gold districts. Its a fact. 

What killed the game was incompetence of providing EU servers. It took you guys months for it, and literally population of 1200 players, from which 600 were nekrova players uninstalled the game thinking, game is permanently hosted at us servers. Rest of EU quit too because it was same reason... 1000000ms lag. 

Only thing that can save this game, is to rush up with engine upgrade this year...if it wont be finally done this year...this is end of apb. And maybe for the best when one think about it. 

Edited by Kitty Yekaterina
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kitty Yekaterina said:

Op its literally on point.  Bringing back threats will leave silver districts empty since majority of this remaining pop are dethreaters.

At silver /gold districts you will have remaining of "pro" rank 40's who blatantly hack in a dead game tryharding to kill game even more by forcing legits to quit. Playing on trash account that ll take 2-3 months for eac to ban it, so that kid can in 2 min create new one with fake email and repeat process of harassment. 

Nobody cares that bronzes will leave, since bronzes are newcomers and they dont keep this game alive nor they care to invest real life money for a game they dont care for.  Golds and silvers keep this game alive. Golds and veteran silvers buys any shit from armas just to support LO for that engine finally. And golds and silvers will leave the game because there wont be physically any district to join to.  

Even now when there are no threats and everybody can play anywhere, entire population at weekends is barely 2 full financials and 1 half empty waterfront district. 

Means all of us together, bronzes, silvers, greens, golds, cant fill up even 3 full districts during most attractive time such as weekends middle of the days. 

Bringing back threat system will erase silver and gold districts. Its a fact. 

What killed the game was incompetence of providing EU servers. It took you guys months for it, and literally population of 1200 players, from which 600 were nekrova players uninstalled the game thinking, game is permanently hosted at us servers. Rest of EU quit too because it was same reason... 1000000ms lag. 

Only thing that can save this game, is to rush up with engine upgrade this year...if it wont be finally done this year...this is end of apb. And maybe for the best when one think about it. 

Your rage whispers are helping with killing this game as well

3 minutes ago, NoobQueen said:

Your rage whispers are helping with killing this game as well

I rarely rage whisper, its usually done to me. But if i whispered you first, means you were toxic disgusting prick. Sorry for putting you in your place. Come again. 

15 minutes ago, Kitty Yekaterina said:

At silver /gold districts you will have remaining of "pro" rank 40's who blatantly hack in a dead game tryharding to kill game even more by forcing legits to quit.

How is it more different now when you have everyone put together? They don't even have to dethreat.

This is what kind of crap I am getting daily even when there are 3 and a half servers full.

ifoteI0.png

bWhFpkB.png

2 minutes ago, HawtGirl said:

How is it more different now when you have everyone put together? They don't even have to dethreat.

This is what kind of crap I am getting daily even when there are 3 and a half servers full.

ifoteI0.png

bWhFpkB.png

Its different because of population Hawtgirl! Its not about mm, its about the fact you wont PHYSICALLY have a player to play against when threat is back. Get it ?

Sure you silvers will have your threats, you can go harass bronze districts like it has always been the case.  Golds will have your silver districts, like it has always been the case.  But problem is you ALL of you silvers will escape to bronze districts.  Golds will have no opposition anymore, aside the 1st type of example screenshot u provided .. re roll trash acc in most cases a cheater, grouped with max rank. Legit golds will therefore leave the game.  If we leave the game, nobody will finance armas anymore, or at least 70% less people will finance it since its always been done by golds mostly and silvers...never bronzes. 

That is inevitable end of apb. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kitty Yekaterina said:

Its different because of population Hawtgirl! Its not about mm, its about the fact you wont PHYSICALLY have a player to play against when threat is back. Get it ?

And for how long? How long do you think the lower ranks will let you stomp them before they quit the game all together?

Yes you will have people to play with for a while but you are also killing the remaining playerbase in the process even faster. 

2 minutes ago, HawtGirl said:

And for how long? How long do you think the lower ranks will let you stomp them before they quit the game all together?

Yes you will have people to play with for a while but you are also killing the remaining playerbase in the process even faster. 

Well tbh i dont know. In my opinion vital population to keep are veterans, silvers and golds. High ranks, max ranks. They are the ones buying stuff from armas, which is supporting the game. 

If you lose playerbase who is willing to finance APB with our real life salary, do you really think LO got any motivation to proceed with Engine upgrade or any motivation whatsoever to keep this game alive? 

All of us, bronzes, greens, silvers, golds cant fill up 2 miserable districts via daytime when all people are home from work, college, or school. ALL OF US cant fill up 2 districts NOW!

Imagine what will happen when you got playerbase of 200 players, and you consciously proceed to divide it even further with threat segregation.  You create further groups.  50  golds 50 silvers 50 bronzes 50 greens.  

If 50 golds got nobody to play against, since 50 silvers will join bronze districts golds cant join...those 50 golds will quit. 

If 50 silvers continue (and you will) play on bronze servers vs 50 bronzes...those 50 bronzes will quit.

50 silvers cant join green threat servers, and even if they could...do u really have fun beating green who dont even know where is obj on the map?

That is why i think, threat system will create domino effect of inevitable APB end.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kitty Yekaterina said:

Well tbh i dont know. In my opinion vital population to keep are veterans, silvers and golds. High ranks, max ranks. They are the ones buying stuff from armas, which is supporting the game. 

If you lose playerbase who is willing to finance APB with our real life salary, do you really think LO got any motivation to proceed with Engine upgrade or any motivation whatsoever to keep this game alive? 

All of us, bronzes, greens, silvers, golds cant fill up 2 miserable districts via daytime when all people are home from work, college, or school. ALL OF US cant fill up 2 districts NOW!

Imagine what will happen when you got playerbase of 200 players, and you consciously proceed to divide it even further with threat segregation.  You create further groups.  50  golds 50 silvers 50 bronzes 50 greens.  

If 50 golds got nobody to play against, since 50 silvers will join bronze districts golds cant join...those 50 golds will quit. 

If 50 silvers continue (and you will) play on bronze servers vs 50 bronzes...those 50 bronzes will quit.

50 silvers cant join green threat servers, and even if they could...do u really have fun beating green who dont even know where is obj on the map?

That is why i think, threat system will create domino effect of inevitable APB end.

The game needs a better system but putting everyone in one place is just wrong.

Yes, veterans buy stuff but they won't be playing the game forever + they are the ones who already have bought most of the things they need. Even if they do play forever they can burn out on the game and play something else for months before deciding to come back (and they won't do that all at the same time so the game will be lacking players).

The game needs to appeal to new and returning players and by just putting everyone in one place it will have the opposite effect. 

Edited by HawtGirl

33 minutes ago, Kitty Yekaterina said:

Sure you silvers will have your threats, you can go harass bronze districts like it has always been the case.  Golds will have your silver districts, like it has always been the case.  But problem is you ALL of you silvers will escape to bronze districts.  Golds will have no opposition anymore, aside the 1st type of example screenshot u provided .. re roll trash acc in most cases a cheater, grouped with max rank. Legit golds will therefore leave the game.  If we leave the game, nobody will finance armas anymore, or at least 70% less people will finance it since its always been done by golds mostly and silvers...never bronzes. 

That is inevitable end of apb. 

no thats not true.

A lot of silvers play in silver and those full districts were proof of that.

Half the players are not normally on right now because of no threat segregation and poor matchmaking from it

once it is back the ones waiting will be playing regularly again.

now if we just got more people to play apb after we have phasing done then we can really get things going more in the right direction.

• Like 2