TheMessiah

so it's finally (not) coming..

9 minutes ago, HawtGirl said:

Sounds familiar. Also didn't that game close?

Yea. The complete rework of how the game functioned drove away most of the players who got the game started. Those that remained (and those that joined later) left over time due to the devs continuing to make idiotic decisions repeatedly. Combine that with failed promises, constant delays, and consistently terrible server performance outside of the instanced PvP matches... yea...

MattScott

CEO

Hi all,

We shipped a couple APB 2.1 builds to SPCT this week. All of them were focused on performance.

The engineers were able to fix the issue that was identified last week, and the game is running a lot better.

We also fixed several of the top game play bugs including an issue with destructible props and shoot windows.

The biggest blockers are the memory issue on Xbox and a frame rate drop when looking around.

The team is currently memory mapping the game profiling builds to identify the fixes.

Thanks,
Matt

Last update 2-3 days ago is also nice.So after fixing this issue the game runs close to live?The public test is not far?We wait for this xbox fixes(memory etc)only now?Just some questions i have..

On 2/3/2020 at 9:38 PM, Hexerin said:

That game was top tier when it first came online, but then the devs went full brain damage and reworked it into a shell of its former self. Let's not try reviving that garbage heap.

Well APB got picked up and we are waiting for the fixed result. If a competent team got behind that team, Id be up for it. U give up too easily by saying not to pick that game up. Theres soo much potential, just bad decisions drove it to the ground.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, killerskull said:

U give up too easily by saying not to pick that game up. Theres soo much potential, just bad decisions drove it to the ground.

The problem is that if Little Orbit (or anyone else for that matter) were to pick Firefall up, they'd be picking up the garbage heap version of the game. The version of the game that had so much potential is no more, and will never return. There's no future for that game.

Things not lookin very good..and ends like this

By Friday night, we figured out that the original devs on APB store scene data in two places, the Octree and a main list of objects in the scene. For various reasons, those objects don't match. So we need to rework the approach and try again this week.

My guess.RTW knew that they made mess of a game which cant be fixed.No wonder development cost more than 100m and they sell it for 750k.They knew whoever pick this sht is doomed.Most likely LO not gonna be able to fix it.Hope im wrong..

I wouldn't be too worried.  If they haven't implemented instancing yet, there's tons of performance to be had there.

1 hour ago, Fasalina said:

Maybe next year :')

Make it 6.

I am starting to wonder if the engine update was even so necessary. For all this time they could have been adding new stuff. Even if it was harder to implement it woudl probably have taken less time.  

22 minutes ago, HawtGirl said:

Make it 6.

I am starting to wonder if the engine update was even so necessary. For all this time they could have been adding new stuff. Even if it was harder to implement it woudl probably have taken less time.  

the engine upgrade is the barrier to any significant new content

8 hours ago, Solamente said:

the engine upgrade is the barrier to any significant new content

Yeah but what significant thing do you think they could have actually add? New district? Highly unlikely. We already know they can add contacts, mods and stuff even new modes.

But even with the things that they can add, most of the stuff is still recycled events and I was even still here  when they added the last new car 4 years ago. 

So really, is it really worthy it the wait?

Edited by HawtGirl

15 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

Things not lookin very good..and ends like this

My guess.RTW knew that they made mess of a game which cant be fixed.No wonder development cost more than 100m and they sell it for 750k.They knew whoever pick this sht is doomed.Most likely LO not gonna be able to fix it.Hope im wrong..

RTW was making something bespoke but doing something completely new and custom was always going to be a bit hit a miss, I'd have to say that simplifying and optimising the game would of been further down the line but obviously funds ran dry and time ran out.

The business went bust but they tried to get something of a return for their efforts.

There are criticism, there is pessimism, I think this thread (if not the OP) is more negative than it needs to be. If APB was going to die again then it would of been during the transition between Gamers First and Little Orbit.

Unfortunately the game engine will take as long as it needs to, Yes the console port was a foolish move but business isn't already straight forward. Last thing the staff need is a sense of pressure or expectation.

Be thankful for the openness and transparency by Little Orbit on the work being done and the progress made, That was something GamersFirst didn't do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VickyFox said:

RTW was making something bespoke but doing something completely new and custom was always going to be a bit hit a miss, I'd have to say that simplifying and optimising the game would of been further down the line but obviously funds ran dry and time ran out.

The business went bust but they tried to get something of a return for their efforts.

There are criticism, there is pessimism, I think this thread (if not the OP) is more negative than it needs to be. If APB was going to die again then it would of been during the transition between Gamers First and Little Orbit.

Unfortunately the game engine will take as long as it needs to, Yes the console port was a foolish move but business isn't already straight forward. Last thing the staff need is a sense of pressure or expectation.

Be thankful for the openness and transparency by Little Orbit on the work being done and the progress made, That was something GamersFirst didn't do.

eveyrone can hate about all the company's but i think LO being open on there Engine upgrade topic is a ride in a direction i want to tag along with

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HawtGirl said:

Yeah but what significant thing do you think they could have actually add? New district? Highly unlikely. We already know they can add contacts, mods and stuff even new modes.

But even with the things that they can add, most of the stuff is still recycled events and I was even still here  when they added the last new car 4 years ago. 

So really, is it really worthy it the wait?

even if you don’t believe the content pipeline will be made easier/faster (and therefore more feasible) because of the engine upgrade, anything added to current apb comes with a cost - sometimes small, sometimes large but it’s always chipping away at overall performance and we’re already pushing the limit for a 32bit program afaik, i think eventually the game just won’t work

there’s also the advance of modern hardware to consider, RTX cards are already barely able to run the current game, as similar performing tech becomes more and more standard the number of people affected will only increase

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Solamente said:

even if you don’t believe the content pipeline will be made easier/faster (and therefore more feasible) because of the engine upgrade, anything added to current apb comes with a cost - sometimes small, sometimes large but it’s always chipping away at overall performance and we’re already pushing the limit for a 32bit program afaik, i think eventually the game just won’t work

there’s also the advance of modern hardware to consider, RTX cards are already barely able to run the current game, as similar performing tech becomes more and more standard the number of people affected will only increase

thats why we gon get a 64bit version, if the e.u. worksout for them..

Edited by videogamer

29 minutes ago, Solamente said:

if it is even possible to make it run better on the new engine to begin with. 

On 2/17/2020 at 8:33 AM, TzickyT said:

eveyrone can hate about all the company's but i think LO being open on there Engine upgrade topic is a ride in a direction i want to tag along with

I hope above all that LO can pull it off... but I'm not especially optimistic...

9 hours ago, Hey! said:

I hope above all that LO can pull it off... but I'm not especially optimistic...

i m not optimistic aswell but we need to take our time with a company that isn't used to this

On 2/17/2020 at 3:44 PM, HawtGirl said:

if it is even possible to make it run better on the new engine to begin with. 

It is, it's just going to be a bit of work to make all the old code optimised more.

13 hours ago, TzickyT said:

i m not optimistic aswell but we need to take our time with a company that isn't used to this

Considering this is the engine, the heart that runs the core game. It's better to do it right first time than making the game worse without know what caused it and then trying to race to find a cure.