TheMessiah

so it's finally (not) coming..

1 hour ago, HawtGirl said:

I doubt it will ever be "needed". 

Wasn't the whole point of the engine update just to make adding things to the game easier? Once when that is done what is their benefit from updating to another engine again? 

afaik support (via epic) for ue3 is either going or already gone

Judging by the usual life cycle of these free mmos, apb is pretty much on its last years, afaik.

Not to be a downer, but truth be told, i am more impressed at the endurance that this community has got, any other community would've left eons ago for whatever.

I mean, look at communities like warframe, a couple of months without any major update and they are already bitching on it and we are at what? 3, 4 years?

That's pretty impressive, toxic or not.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 2:36 PM, Ellix said:

What will come first? Cyberpunk 2077 or Engine Update 2020?

2077 the actual year may come first.

5 hours ago, Bellenettiel said:

That's pretty impressive

It really isn't though, if you look at it more closely. Most of those other games have plenty of alternatives that feed the same itch. APB, for better or worse, is completely unique. You can't get this gameplay anywhere else, and it's a type of gameplay that appeals strongly to a vastly diverse audience. That's also why it keeps getting repurchased by new companies, they can see the potential and thus keep thinking that it's worth the investment... but then they quickly realize how painful it is to actually host and that's when you see their morale crumble.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2020 at 7:06 AM, TheMessiah said:

I just read the last engine upgrade news and yea looks like things are far from public test.I was hoping we start this new year with that test but unfortunately not gonna happen.Too many things to be done..i guess not sooner than spring.The big question right now is what the hell LO can do about this slowly but surely /pop decreasing.I mean i log like 2 days ago and /pop was less than 500 players and was weekend.Like i dont know..any plans whats next?I doubt valentine event will bring more players.Im just worried for the game thats all..

Hi you must be new here.  Theyve been saying "its coming this year" since 2012.  Dont  hold your breath because its unlikely the upgrade will ever see the light of day.

On 1/25/2020 at 1:05 AM, HawtGirl said:

But U4 is a much heavier engine by default. The game will run even slower by default unless they rebuild it from scratch to be optimized for it.

Also if they are going to make the engine transition they should pick the newest one possible. Maybe even wait for the next gen consoles otherwise it will still age pretty badly for the time they finish working on the game. 

But anyway, such an upgrade would be pretty expensive for a game that barely is stays alive. 

True. Some UE4 games run even worse than APB so I don't really regret that we will never get it.

i'm getting old waiting for good things to happen.

story of my life.

edit:(26.01.)Ok the last engine upgrade news like 21 hours ago seems way better.At least my excitement is back.Thank you for explaining what was going on all this months.Keep the good work LO 👍

side note:I knew that consoles gonna slow the entire game and i told G1 about that back in 2013.How they must focus only on PC upgrade and when the game become more successful and the company get more staff and money - eventually making console versions.Otherwise they gonna sink in this 3 times more work and meanwhile the main game gonna die.But nobody to listen.Anyway too late going back now..we must look to the future

Edited by TheMessiah

30 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

edit:(26.01.)Ok the last engine upgrade news like 21 hours ago seems way better.At least my excitement is back.Thank you for explaining what was going on all this months.Keep the good work LO 👍

side note:I knew that consoles gonna slow the entire game and i told G1 about that back in 2013.How they must focus only on PC upgrade and when the game become more successful and the company get more staff and money - eventually making console versions.Otherwise they gonna sink in this 3 times more work and meanwhile the main game gonna die.But nobody to listen.Anyway too late going back now..we must look to the future

thanks to g1 little orbit is contractually obligated to continue development for console apb, its not quite as simple as "just focusing on pc"

32 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

It is nice to hear that there is significant improvement but seems like the things can break again at any time. 

Also yes, having 1 version out of the door and working will make it easier for the other versions to follow. Otherwise every version specific issue will be only delaying the development of all 3.

Edited by HawtGirl

On 1/25/2020 at 8:25 PM, Bellenettiel said:

Judging by the usual life cycle of these free mmos, apb is pretty much on its last years, afaik.

Not to be a downer, but truth be told, i am more impressed at the endurance that this community has got, any other community would've left eons ago for whatever.

I mean, look at communities like warframe, a couple of months without any major update and they are already bitching on it and we are at what? 3, 4 years?

That's pretty impressive, toxic or not.

i felt attacked with that one, i left warframe not long ago

On 1/22/2020 at 7:37 AM, HawtGirl said:

Not really but removing the pressure will allow them to become sloppier. 

I know working under pressure is unhealthy but come on man: 6 years. It is about time something to happen. 

One could have made a full new game for this time.

Yes the game has been out for 6 years. LO has only been running it for over a year. If the update comes out cool if not, Hey treat it like HL3.

3 minutes ago, Blackace-RD said:

i felt attacked with that one, i left warframe not long ago

I may actually start playing war frame again.

Assuming the engine upgrade finally happens as well as  new content , I wonder if Little Orbit would buy the IP back so we can upgrade to ue4+ and such.

Of course they would have resources and financing to do so , since other projects have been in the works as well

On 1/24/2020 at 12:41 PM, Hexerin said:

@MattScott mentioned it in passing in an older blog post, to the effect of "the Australian team couldn't make it work, so we're dropping it entirely" with no further elaboration. The current engine upgrade (which is the one getting update posts in the pinned thread) will upgrade the game to UE3.5, and that will likely be where the game sits until it dies for good (assuming it even lives long enough for the thing to release in the first place).

God i hope it will n that it will make the game performe better. i see so many new players join, but they leave in an hour cuz of their frames drop. so its hard for them to fall for the game. 

On 1/22/2020 at 4:18 PM, Farbon Ciber said:

By itself, the Engine upgrade may be a letdown for many.

I think the benefit of the Engine upgrade is to more quickly and easily make new content across all platforms, that is what may revive this great game

I truly hope there is new content and contacts released at EU launch or we may see the game die simply because many expect too much and will be disappointed 

The Engine Upgrade, hopefully will render most of the old hacks and exploits coded by premier cheat companies useless... They would have to rewrite cheats, and given the plummeted population, the profit for them would not be there.  Ofc, a talented coder could write new cheats/exploits for the new code but, those people are very few and the general playerbase wouldn't get them and we would have (hopefully) an even smaller actual cheater core than we have now... and that will help a lot... because with a limited player pool... you can easily match v the same cheater a few times... and that's demoralizing and hurts what's left of the population.

On 1/25/2020 at 12:02 AM, HawtGirl said:

I doubt it will ever be "needed". 

Wasn't the whole point of the engine update just to make adding things to the game easier? Once when that is done what is their benefit from updating to another engine again? 

If you turn a classic car into an electric vehicle you still have to deal with lots and lots of ancient tech (i.e. everything that is not the drivetrain). Likewise upgrading APB to a newer engine and adding some new features won't change the fact that it is an ancient game.

Especially in the looks department APB is already severely lacking and the customisation-feature is, imo, not the grand attraction it once was.

Its decent controls and handling are coupled with dated gameplay-design. I believe creating more exciting gameplay is easier when you start from scratch, using the existing game as a guideline. Otherwise you'd be trying to build on top of the current design, which is probably the most difficult way to do it. Or exchange practically everything, which also requires to create something new, but also implement it into the existing, ancient and ported framework.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Revoluzzer said:

the customisation-feature is, imo, not the grand attraction it once was.

It's no longer a big deal for you (dat imo doe), but it's still a big deal to me. It's still one of the strongest customization engines in gaming, which is saying a lot considering it's a decade old.

1 hour ago, Hexerin said:

It's no longer a big deal for you (dat imo doe), but it's still a big deal to me. It's still one of the strongest customization engines in gaming, which is saying a lot considering it's a decade old.

Texture wise the possibility are limitless. My only issue is that you can't do much with the models and the current ones are pretty stock. 

I guess he meant that having customization in games is getting pretty common nowadays. 

I have been forced to remove a number of posts from this topic as they are an off-topic discussion.

Lets keep the conversation focused on the engine upgrade.

~@mayii

On 1/21/2020 at 2:36 PM, Ellix said:

What will come first? Cyberpunk 2077 or Engine Update 2020?

Half Life 3

Also, I dont even remember how long LO has had this game for but I feel like they shouldve started fresh and made APB 2 than to jumble this mess.

I honestly wanna play Firefall, LO shouldve just bought that and it was good to go.

19 hours ago, killerskull said:

Half Life 3

Also, I dont even remember how long LO has had this game for but I feel like they shouldve started fresh and made APB 2 than to jumble this mess.

I honestly wanna play Firefall, LO shouldve just bought that and it was good to go.

I think they'd be a lot better off financially to simply sunset APBr, and re-release APB with the original RTW code.

On 2/2/2020 at 4:04 PM, killerskull said:

I honestly wanna play Firefall

That game was top tier when it first came online, but then the devs went full brain damage and reworked it into a shell of its former self. Let's not try reviving that garbage heap.

6 hours ago, Hexerin said:

and reworked it into a shell of its former self.

Sounds familiar.

Also didn't that game close?