Todesklinge

Unreal Engine 4

Hi, why APB Reloaded 2.1 is using Unreal 3,5 and not Unreal Engine 4?

Most of UE3 can moved to UE4.

Also the new (old) Engine Upgrade is not good for the future. UE4 have much more potential and better GPU and Multi-CPU support.

Building new maps (Districts) are on UE4 super easy.

The new Engine Upgrade Screenshots looks like the old APB 😞

• Like 1

They will update it to UE4 when E10 comes out 😂

But anyway, as far as I understood, the whole reason for having engine update is to be able to add new things to the game afterwards. 

Moving to UE4 woudl mean they will have to do everything all over again. 

17 minutes ago, Todesklinge said:

Also the new (old) Engine Upgrade is not good for the future. UE4 have much more potential and better GPU and Multi-CPU support.

1. Xbone and PS4 are on 3.5 already while PC is still 3.0

2. Match all systems on one engine
3. Once everything is together 4.0 will be developed

• Like 3

Unreal engine 4 apb simply won't be a thing as stated by mattscott himself saying "We basically realized that developing both APB Reloaded and APB2 was too much for us. The Australia team was struggling to get their head around the massive amounts of tech".

The only situation where apb is developed using new engines is when another far more experienced company buys apb which i doubt, or the chinese player who owns unit games and recently bought the "apb brand" developes a brand new kind of apb. 

That being said I think it's pretty clear they have made their decision on not going past unreal engine 3.5 ever.

Edited by WorldDominator

3 minutes ago, WorldDominator said:

That being said I think it's pretty clear they have made their decision on not going past unreal engine 3.5 ever.

They never said that.Nobody says that APB Reloaded will never be upgraded to unreal 4.0(not very likely but still..)Plus we dont know what gonna happen with this apb brand in next years so who knows what the future holds for this game.We may all being surprised...

as stated by mattscott already, moving to ue3 to ue3.5 is relatively simple, it’s technically the exact same engine after all

moving from ue3 to ue4 would require an entire rewrite of apb, essentially remaking the game from the ground up -  not only would a transition to ue4 require throwing out thousands of hours of dev work already spent on ue3.5, but the timescale would be measured in decades judging by orbits current work speed

Yeah no, nothing about this is "super easy".

Moving to UE4 would be even harder, since APB uses a heavily modified version of UE, it's way, way more than just copy paste.

By the way, it's anything but easy to create new maps for games, especially for games like APB.

Pretty much what everyone else has said.

First step to make work easy is bring all platforms together with the same coding standard.

From there any patches in the coding needed can be done altogether rather than working on 2 different versions at different stages of development.

Once everything is stable and optimised then work may be done on transitioning to UE 4.0

It has taken half a decade just to get to where we are with Unreal Engine 3.5 let alone 4.0

22 minutes ago, Solamente said:

the timescale would be measured in decades judging by orbits current work speed

I'm not saying you're wrong, I would guess at something in the ball park of 10 to 12 years but that's not because of their work speed but rather their volume and capacity of workload.

Both G1 and LO combined has been working on the smaller step of the move to 3.5 for what..... 7 years now? Good luck with the bigger jump to UE4 ever happening

4 hours ago, Todesklinge said:

Let them  take first step , everything will come in time 

~Some Patience People =p 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FluffyCat said:

Let them  take first step , everything will come in time 

It has been only 6 years after all. Nothing to worry about. 

4 hours ago, Todesklinge said:

So you want them to change to Unreal Engine 4 after they haven't even finished upgrading to 3.5 after what, 6 or 7 years?

Boy, APB will the most balanced game in the entire shooter genre before that happens.

4 minutes ago, FluffyCat said:

6 Years without little orbit , i have faith in Matt ^.^

Actually Little Orbit has been here over a year but that is still a long time with GamersFirst.

But I agree. While I am sick and tired of waiting, is not going to do anyone any favors getting upset over something that will only be hindered by negativity.

The staff at LO have been working hard and the openness about their progress, it does fill one's heart with hope but also a sense of anticipation.

Not to dive into politics but I said this about the UK's EU Referendum:

What's the alternative to the drastic change in an unknown time frame? The alternative is the status quo. We're are surviving and not in hell yet so need no to act hastily.

Let the dev team do their work and I'm sure they will do us proud when the engine is done fully and properly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FluffyCat said:

6 Years without little orbit , i have faith in Matt ^.^

The things sounds promising so far... but so did with g1 as well back in 2014.

I just came back to the game and I am really hoping for the best. 

1 minute ago, HawtGirl said:

The things sounds promising so far... but so did with g1 as well back in 2014.

I just came back to the game and I am really hoping for the best. 

Things sounded promises with G1?

blog_img_1.jpg&client=amp-blogside-v2&si

Did you leave APB in Q4 of 2014?

There no communication from GamersFirst about development for 3 years practically.

IT REALLY HASN'T BEEN A PROMISING TIME! 😅

They promised so much things when they bought it, was fun to see the game gain back players then when we all saw that this was BS lying everyone left again c:

8 minutes ago, VickyFox said:

Things sounded promises with G1?

blog_img_1.jpg&client=amp-blogside-v2&si

Did you leave APB in Q4 of 2014?

There no communication from GamersFirst about development for 3 years practically.

IT REALLY HASN'T BEEN A PROMISING TIME! 😅

I mean, they were talkative about stuff just like now with LO but there seems like there was away something getting on the way of the engine update. 

I left in 2016 or something after got tired of waiting. No idea what was happening after that. I saw the video of the xbox version and it pretty much made me forget that this game even exist until now.

People thinking game development is just copy and pasting.

JuSt ReMaKe ThE ENTIrE GamE

12 hours ago, Todesklinge said:

moving to 3.5 allows coding to be cleaned up further so that when its moved to 4.+ it can be done easier.

the way it is now would be a complete failure to even attempt with the current state of APB coding compared to further cleanup and bug fixes that cant be done without the engine upgrade.

Unreal Engine 4 have so much features what can easy used in APB mechanic.

How much cost the license of APB?

Unreal Engine 3 is so hard outdated, thats why more and more UE3 games shot down, like Blessed etc.

2 minutes ago, Todesklinge said:

Unreal Engine 3 is so hard outdated, thats why more and more UE3 games shot down, like Blessed etc.

Please tell me some of these Engine features that can easily be used as APB mechanics.

there will be another engine update after they release 3.5 and we will wait for another 7 years for 4.0

Edited by Deadliest

36 minutes ago, Deadliest said:

there will be another engine update after they release 3.5 and we will wait for another 7 years for 4.0

that was because of g1 and they are no longer here.

45 minutes ago, Todesklinge said:

it is not time to upgrade to 4 yet. after 3.5 the APB coding can be fixed further and that will make it much easier to upgrade to 4

20 hours ago, Todesklinge said:

I feel the exact same.