Sign in to follow this  
PotatoeGirl

Performance issues of the new engine related to LOD?

I can't help but notice that the LOD in the screenshots of the new engine doesn't match with the draw distance on live, which may be one of the reasons for bad performance.

If you look at the distance, you can see that the buildings on live are just blocks while in the new engine they are way more detailed, which woudl make the game way more resource demanding. 

Live:

Ioi4g7l.jpg

New engine:

E0XEOWx.png

Live:

7Vovrv9.jpg

New engine:

4VMPcR9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to believe that such an obvious thing would not of been an oversight and was factored in.

1 minute ago, VickyFox said:

I'd like to believe that such an obvious thing would not of been an oversight and was factored in.

One never know. Naturally higher poly count woudl be obviously more demanding (assuming there is no LOD slider for distance yet).

6 years just to reskin apb 

Edited by Deadliest
  • Like 1

Also I believe that was the entire point of the fog in the current engine on the first place - to make the low poly meshes looks less obvious while also improving texture rendering for distanced objects. 

I still can't get over how 'cheap/tacky' the new engine update looks.

6 minutes ago, Deadliest said:

6 years just to reskin apb 

Ikr.

Imo, all effort spent to keep this broken and dead horse somehwat alive should have been  instead allocated to making a successor to APB:R, A successor with a solid framework and foundation to make future improvements easier.

Edited by Ai-Zhú

7 minutes ago, Ai-Zhú said:

Ikr.

Imo, all effort spent to keep this broken and dead horse somehwat alive should have been  instead allocated to making a successor to APB:R, A successor with a solid framework and foundation to make future improvements easier.

Wasn't the whole point of the engine update so they can create content easier? But yeah, it doesn't look a whole lot better than what we have already. I am hoping for at least a slightly better performance at the end. 

this is not a graphics update to make APB look better

this is an engine upgrade to have a better performing engine which will lead to being able to fix the problems with APB that need the upgrade first to be fixable

some of the graphics looking better is only a bonus

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

this is not a graphics update to make APB look better

this is an engine upgrade to have a better performing engine which will lead to being able to fix the problems with APB that need the upgrade first to be fixable

some of the graphics looking better is only a bonus

I totally agree with you, but you do not deny me the fact that obviously when it is finished there will be a quite noticeable change, in terms of graphics. 😉

Addresses this - but yes, the draw distance (LOD values) can be higher than on live, as seen on the screenshots.

Really depends on the hardware for the most part. APB's building poly count isn't really high, modern GPUs (GTX 9xx+) won't have issues with a few more blocks in the distance. The current issue is that the game thread is slowing down the render thread. Its all explained in the thread rooq linked.

Quick side note. The images posted were just updated to new ones.

Turns out I had anisotropic filtering completely disabled, giving all textures a blurry appearance.

Thanks @Ketog x)

• Like 1

At least the game not looking worse and when u have in mind all the fixes and changes that will happen after 3.5..at least im excited

• Like 4

As Speed had stated, the performance issues more stem the threads being unbalanced.  IIRC buildings are super low poly at i think 10 tris per face?(that was so long ago)  Most issues at this very moment stem from lighting and a couple under-the-hood elements.

5 hours ago, HawtGirl said:

Also I believe that was the entire point of the fog in the current engine on the first place - to make the low poly meshes looks less obvious while also improving texture rendering for distanced objects. 

it’s not like removing that fog currently massively boosts fps or anything

5 hours ago, 7GX said:

I totally agree with you, but you do not deny me the fact that obviously when it is finished there will be a quite noticeable change, in terms of graphics. 😉

no one denies - even MattScott posted that he was surprised at the boost in graphics before any adjustments

5 hours ago, Speedz said:

The current issue is that the game thread is slowing down the render thread

how much time they gonna need to fix that?

Overall performance is well below Live at the moment. We need to spend a little more time this week looking at where the game thread is spending all its time.

Like i dont get it..looks like serious problem but in same time he says that they need a little more time next week to look whats wrong.Probably gonna fix it next week?

9 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Considering the game has been CPU intensive from the start, this probably woudl be the main problem to solve if they want to up the graphics beyond the engine's defaults. 

52 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Like i dont get it..looks like serious problem but in same time he says that they need a little more time next week to look whats wrong.Probably gonna fix it next week?

It gets fixed when it gets fixed.  There's no way to put an actual date on when things get fixed.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this