Specia

What Are you Guys hopeing for with engine upgrade?

10 hours ago, Sergsininia said:

In most of the SPCT's tests, if you're able to talk about it, has there been improvements in performance for mid or low level pc's? I know a lot of the tests that I saw that Matt posted were of machines running higher tier graphics and processors.

I woudl want to know that as well but seems like they haven't got there yet considering having performance issues even on high end machines. 

As I said earlier, we may not even see engine update at all if they are unable to optimize the performance enough. 

Edited by HawtGirl

48 minutes ago, HawtGirl said:

As I said earlier, we may not even see engine update at all if they are unable to optimize the performance enough. 

lol what?

12 hours ago, Sergsininia said:

In most of the SPCT's tests, if you're able to talk about it, has there been improvements in performance for mid or low level pc's? I know a lot of the tests that I saw that Matt posted were of machines running higher tier graphics and processors.

For now I don't believe that we can comment on any specifics beyond the measurements already released. Sorry 😞

The only way we can get a true image of this is by opening up for public testing - so I hope we get to that ASAP.

22 hours ago, HawtGirl said:

So I haven't read everything about the engine update yet but seems like they are focusing on the wrong thing. I.e model streaming during driving.

But let me tell you something. Low fps while driving isn't much of a bid deal. You can play racing games perfectly fine even at 25 fps. 

What does matter is performance loss during aiming and fighting.

APB has a huge performance issues when rendering particles (smoke and blood mostly) and for some reason there is huge overuse of those in the game.

I really hope they address that because my fps drops to a slide show when someone uses a shotgun on me while I am zooming. Nothing kills fps faster than smoke and blood particles in your face.

Your right i feel the same

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

lol what?

Why would it be released if it performs worse? They even said it is their priority to make it run at least as well as the current one before releasing it.

2 hours ago, HawtGirl said:

Why would it be released if it performs worse? They even said it is their priority to make it run at least as well as the current one before releasing it.

Considering the fact that the engine upgrade is essentially changing the whole base, I highly doubt that the engine is going to not be optimized. Rather than scrapping development, I think that it's going to be continued to be developed on for around another half year before either public testing or release, on the basis that closed testing started in the summer of 2019.

1 hour ago, Sergsininia said:

Considering the fact that the engine upgrade is essentially changing the whole base, I highly doubt that the engine is going to not be optimized. Rather than scrapping development, I think that it's going to be continued to be developed on for around another half year before either public testing or release, on the basis that closed testing started in the summer of 2019.

The question is if that will ever happen. There is a reason for the original code to be as it is. Also a lot of other things can happen for an year that can potentially slow the things down even more. 

Not to mention the xbox version just went live with all the issues. 

Edited by HawtGirl

I would just like the game to run smoothly.

after that I guess I could ask for better gun play and more balanced missions, but that's secondary to eliminating all the micro-stutters you get while playing.

6 hours ago, HawtGirl said:

The question is if that will ever happen. There is a reason for the original code to be as it is. Also a lot of other things can happen for an year that can potentially slow the things down even more. 

Not to mention the xbox version just went live with all the issues. 

the reason the original code is so bad is the same reason the engine upgrade is necessary, apb "pioneered" a lot of features that are now basically considered standard for open world games and like most prototypes there were more than a few flaws, which have since been (mostly) ironed out over the years

afaik the console versions were caused by g1 selling the console publishing rights to another company who then botched their own development of the engine upgrade 

8 hours ago, Solamente said:

the reason the original code is so bad is the same reason the engine upgrade is necessary, apb "pioneered" a lot of features that are now basically considered standard for open world games and like most prototypes there were more than a few flaws

GTA and MMOs existed even before APB. I believe the actual problem was choosing a game engine that wasn't build for open world games (at that time) so they had to make stuff from scratch just to make it work and even with that it still has a lot of flaws. The loading times for example are still too long even by today's standards. 

Edited by HawtGirl

32 minutes ago, HawtGirl said:

GTA and MMOs existed even before APB. I believe the actual problem was choosing a game engine that wasn't build for open world games (at that time) so they had to make stuff from scratch just to make it work and even with that it still has a lot of flaws. The loading times for example are still too long even by today's standards. 

To be fair, GTA online too has horrendous load times, but of course its map is much bigger.

41 minutes ago, trashpanda said:

To be fair, GTA online too has horrendous load times, but of course its map is much bigger.

That is true but it also has way more things to load as well.

On 1/11/2020 at 12:31 PM, CookiePuss said:

lol what?

Thank you for your contribution to this thread.

Back on topic, I'd personally I'd just be happy if the game was optimised to a state which is more stable with quicker loading times. A more healthy running game would encourage players to stay especially on console.

What I'd like to see is more eye candy with dynamic lighting, I won't lie in saying I was actually excited to hear the bug with the traffic lights was identified and fixed.

Also different weather conditions, full day and night cycles. San Paro feels very linear with daytime becoming evening and that's kinda it.

Also The ability to toggle all vehicle lights and turning on a dark mode in creative stations to see how cars and outfits look in darker conditions.

Sometimes colours in creative stations do not look quite right in normal district environmental lighting let alone in the dark.

12 minutes ago, VickyFox said:

Back on topic, I'd personally I'd just be happy if the game was optimised to a state which is more stable with quicker loading times. A more healthy running game would encourage players to stay especially on console.

What I'd like to see is more eye candy with dynamic lighting, I won't lie in saying I was actually excited to hear the bug with the traffic lights was identified and fixed.

Also different weather conditions, full day and night cycles. San Paro feels very linear with daytime becoming evening and that's kinda it.

Also The ability to toggle all vehicle lights and turning on a dark mode in creative stations to see how cars and outfits look in darker conditions.

Sometimes colours in creative stations do not look quite right in normal district environmental lighting let alone in the dark.

I would also like to see different weather effects. Like rain, t storms, snow etc to change up the environment and change driving. Ie if its raining your more likely to lose control and slip causing a crash and in snow you cant drive at max speed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VickyFox said:

Loading times are much much faster than current APB.

15 minutes ago, VickyFox said:

full day and night cycles.

I believe this is already a thing? Time progresses and the lighting/skybox is affected.. Soundscapes even change to crickets at night when you are close to certain foliage.

Console doesn't have this yet, but PC has had it for years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VickyFox said:

My apologies. I should have elaborated.

Sometimes I'm amazed at how little a person can know about a subject whilst simultaneously having infinite confidence in making broad statements about that subject.

As for what I want from the upgrade?

Players, just more players.

That's all I want out of any change as I feel that if you are using any other metric... well that would be bad news for the game.

4 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

As for what I want from the upgrade?

Players, just more players.

That's all I want out of any change as I feel that if you are using any other metric... well that would be bad news for the game.

How can you get new players and retain them when the current playerbase is so toxic and cheap? You wont retain when vets are purposely playing against lesser skilled players so they can stroke their own egos, threat shaming anyone lesser then them, playing cheaply for an extra advantage, abusing bugs and flaws and being unhelpful. LO can fix the game up on their end as much as they want if the community stays as it is numbers wont change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

How can you get new players and retain them when the current playerbase is so toxic and cheap? You wont retain when vets are purposely playing against lesser skilled players so they can stroke their own egos, threat shaming anyone lesser then them, playing cheaply for an extra advantage, abusing bugs and flaws and being unhelpful. LO can fix the game up on their end as much as they want if the community stays as it is numbers wont change.

You could not return to playing bronze districts should they return... that might help.

Also, I don't know if you are new to the internet or what, but this is what its like. There's nothing unique about APB's community.

I would make fun of you for thinking its not the game itself that got us to this point... but then I remember your post about the 5 shot ntec and realize maybe facts and logic are not your strong suit.

19 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

You could not return to playing bronze districts should they return... that might help.

Also, I don't know if you are new to the internet or what, but this is what its like. There's nothing unique about APB's community.

Just like how threat segregation helped back in the day? Just like how the HVR "nerf" got rid of quick switching? Just like how every halloween a patch prevents us from glitching outside the map? This community is unique in its hardon for playing cheap and dirty and spreading toxicity. It goes out of its way to ensure theres a way to play cheaply and with the history do you honestly think ppl wont find a way once this new system comes out? There are toxic communities out there but nothing like APB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Just like how threat segregation helped back in the day? Just like how the HVR "nerf" got rid of quick switching? Just like how every halloween a patch prevents us from glitching outside the map? 

I'm guessing all that is for someone else, as always I've no idea what you are talking about. 

6 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

There are toxic communities out there but nothing like APB.

You need to get out more, snowflake. 

35 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

I don't know if you are new to the internet or what, but this is what its like. There's nothing unique about APB's community.

That is the most pathetic reason to not give damn. It is the internet and it is a game but right now, how we behave does have an impact on the community as it seems to get smaller in numbers for some reason why.

Just because it is a game on the internet is not an excuse to disrespect another players regardless of their skill or skill.

Edited by VickyFox

1 minute ago, VickyFox said:

That is the most pathetic reason to not give damn. It is the internet and it is a game but right now, how we behave does have an impact on the community as it seems to get smaller in numbers for some reason why.

Just because it is a game on the internet is not an excuse to disrespect another players regardless of their skill or skill.

The argument was that APB is unique in having toxic players. 

Please read more carefully before responding. 

8 minutes ago, VickyFox said:

It was clear a long time ago they didnt care about the game. Nobody whbo cares can defend this community for what it had done and what it is and that this doesnt in any way contribute to the decreasing population.

6 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

The argument was that APB is unique in having toxic players. 

Please read more carefully before responding. 

The argument is the severity of the toxicity, not that it has it at all