Specia

What Are you Guys hopeing for with engine upgrade?

2 hours ago, Tumblez said:

Optimized performance, weather events, bullet tracers, spectate team, killcams, save replay files, replay viewer with free cam, private matches, more PvE options, modernize inventory UI, getting rid of cheaters and toxic spam. 

nailed it 😉

• Thanks 1

Agree with what the majority said, and would add the impossible team killing.

:classic_biggrin:

Edited by LilPurple

Stable performance and loads of new content (new maps, contacts, game modes, weapons, vehicles) in rapid succession after the EU.

Something that gets me to actually log in again would be nice :^) 

IF YOU GO QUIETLY, YOU WILL GO FURTHER.

The meaning of this paradoxical proverb – do not rush, you must have patience. You must be prudent and thorough, and then you will do more and better than when you are in a hurry.

Not sure-don't overtake*
The expression, neutral in fact, from the inscription on the structures of the car passed also into colloquial speech. It is often used as a warning to a person to measure their strength, capabilities, before carrying out any actions.

the only real thing to hope for with the engine upgrade is better performance and optimizations.

but what comes after that? A lot of things.

Graphics , new items , missions and other such events , hitboxes reworked , anything we have had to put up with and not fix can then be worked on to fix.

smaller things to make APB feel more alive would also benefit APB , because even the little things add up to a big change.

the Engine upgrade in itself will not magically fix all of APB , but the upgrade is absolutely a necessity to fix all the problems with APB as well as add new things to make APB better

It would be pretty awesome to have random world events. Like a money delivery truck breaking down and everyone in the vicinity fights over it. It would also be really cool to have criminals fight other criminals for the money, or turf wars. Or new missions such as stealing a gas truck, haha. Maybe spikestrips that slow down the vehicle that goes through it for 10-20 seconds. An EMP mod for vehicles that disables all modifications in a vicinity for 30 seconds,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trashpanda said:

It would be pretty awesome to have random world events. Like a money delivery truck breaking down and everyone in the vicinity fights over it. It would also be really cool to have criminals fight other criminals for the money, or turf wars. Or new missions such as stealing a gas truck, haha. Maybe spikestrips that slow down the vehicle that goes through it for 10-20 seconds. An EMP mod for vehicles that disables all modifications in a vicinity for 30 seconds,

Yeah, I LIKE THIS idea, it's  is quite funny...

it shall be nice some match scenario's  such as you suggest, with maybe two criminal team fight against each other, then a phase of the mission where Enforcers join and there will be such as gang bang/Battle royal between the three teams for getting the gas trucks AHAHHAHA..

Maybe a idea may be good (for a hypotetical) pve missions too..

22 hours ago, trashpanda said:

I know not much but lighting and performance will change, but I hope to see weather events happening once it's all in place. Rain and snow in San Paro, with the new lighting would look great. Perhaps an increase on model detail, since most customization is barely visible on the current engine. And of course, better physics, and none of that cars getting stuck on invisible rocks or flipping over them/exploding.

You are completely right i hope this too but i just hope most of all for better performance. as first priority

22 hours ago, AsgerLund said:

Big anime man-tiddies.

Well i dont know about that one xD

22 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

people to stop making topics about engine upgrade?

If you hate them so much just scroll on by 🙂  Im curios to see what people are hopeing for.

22 hours ago, Caisey said:

I hope it comes and that it doesn't have to many bugs, but I doubt that.. 😐

Could you ask this question again when it's out? 

No one really knows when its out sadly. I too dont hope for too many bugz but if they are that they fix them much faster which i doubt since there are bugz on this game which is years too old 🙂 

20 hours ago, HawtGirl said:

I think the proper question is IF it is coming at all.

I have been waiting for it since 2014 and it was a thing even before that.

Also the xbox version was god awful looking and with performance issues. Unless something has changed for those years, this is what we are going to get. 

I don't want to scare you but just just don't have your expectations high and take the game for what it is. 

I do take it for what it is i have been playing for many years back when i came out on pc. But i just feel like its about time for a change. and i think we are allowed to hope for it since they tease so much with it.

Merged.

20 hours ago, rooq said:

How? Name one game that has successfully managed this. It has to be an FPS.

Hint: Doesn't exist. It is an impossible task.

It's coming. I've played it.

Here are weekly updates on the development:

How was it?

20 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

For it to finally kill the game so we can all move on with our lives.

I do not hope for that. 😞 

3 hours ago, Specia said:

How was it?

All I've been allowed to release so far has been a few screenshots and this video:

Hopefully more soon???????

20 hours ago, BrandonBranderson said:

You guys are already on the Engine Upgrade.  PC is the only APB that isn't on some form of the engine upgrade and console development is being held back by that fact.  Their goal right now is to consolidate all the platforms so they are all running the same version of the engine so they only have to develop for one version.

exactly, which is why they probably didn't release the newer contents on console yet. with the engine upgrade coming on pc, this content should also become available on consoles. (which is what he said)

plus, they are supposed to also get performance upgrades...

Edited by neophobia

11 hours ago, Cheeseburger! said:

I'm hoping for more people to play with.

Same, homie... same.

Edited by CookiePuss

Clan tournaments, some global clan ranking system so that joining TUF gaming or Rezistance again would make sense

Welp .... at 2014-2015 i was hoping to see something like GTA5 online just better and more interesting ... But right now i expect nothing good. All those posts and screenshots shows how APB would look different ... shadows, streets, car paints, character, colors...grass ....  and nothing about improved performance nothing about other problems. 

I have feeling that this "engine update" will be last nail in grave. Im sure LO is trying best but they dont have $$$ to bring APB to life or even at 3k ppl. per server.

21 minutes ago, MartisLTU said:

Welp .... at 2014-2015 i was hoping to see something like GTA5 online just better and more interesting ... But right now i expect nothing good. All those posts and screenshots shows how APB would look different ... shadows, streets, car paints, character, colors...grass ....  and nothing about improved performance nothing about other problems. 

I have feeling that this "engine update" will be last nail in grave. Im sure LO is trying best but they dont have $$$ to bring APB to life or even at 3k ppl. per server.

Don't just ignore all the stuff Matt has talked about in regards to performance.  That's usually one of the main focuses of the posts in "Tracking The Engine Upgrade"

19 hours ago, rooq said:

All I've been allowed to release so far has been a few screenshots and this video:

So we might even get day n night cycle? looks cool i just pray for better performance.

14 hours ago, MartisLTU said:

Thats true i hope for the same what most of us want is better performance. not more visuals to get us lower frames. if they can add all this and fix the performance so gameplay will be smoother. thats what im hopeing for.

On 1/9/2020 at 1:07 AM, Fasalina said:

Stable performance and loads of new content (new maps, contacts, game modes, weapons, vehicles) in rapid succession after the EU.

Something that gets me to actually log in again would be nice :^) 

Yea but first of all in my opnion is better performance thats key.

9 hours ago, Fruitini said:

I hope that all my symbols don't get erased...

Same xD

Merged.

16 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Same, homie... same.

Thats would really be nice, i bet if we get better performance would help with that. When you talk to new players that join and are new to apb, playing with low frames n delays is a no go. they have a hard time falling for this really cool game, becouse its not even up to todays standart. 

• Like 1

So I haven't read everything about the engine update yet but seems like they are focusing on the wrong thing. I.e model streaming during driving.

But let me tell you something. Low fps while driving isn't much of a bid deal. You can play racing games perfectly fine even at 25 fps. 

What does matter is performance loss during aiming and fighting.

APB has a huge performance issues when rendering particles (smoke and blood mostly) and for some reason there is huge overuse of those in the game.

I really hope they address that because my fps drops to a slide show when someone uses a shotgun on me while I am zooming. Nothing kills fps faster than smoke and blood particles in your face.

1 hour ago, HawtGirl said:

So I haven't read everything about the engine update yet but seems like they are focusing on the wrong thing. I.e model streaming during driving.

But let me tell you something. Low fps while driving isn't much of a bid deal. You can play racing games perfectly fine even at 25 fps. 

What does matter is performance loss during aiming and fighting.

APB has a huge performance issues when rendering particles (smoke and blood mostly) and for some reason there is huge overuse of those in the game.

I really hope they address that because my fps drops to a slide show when someone uses a shotgun on me while I am zooming. Nothing kills fps faster than smoke and blood particles in your face.

I hope I'm remembering this correctly, because I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to the technical workings of the game.  If I am remembering this correctly, back when they reduced the amount of particles that are emitted by... everything... I think I remember a dev saying something along the lines of "The problem with APB is that when it displays a particle, they're all rendered instead of instanced/referenced."  and I would think that the new engine would have improvements in its rendering pipeline considering that we're moving to an engine that is 6-7 years newer than the one we're currently on.  It was a really long time ago though so I'm probably remembering it completely wrong.  I really recommend reading through all the Tracking The Engine Upgrade posts though.  Neat stuff in there.

Nothing since it's already 2020 and the upgrade is still not done. The game is already pretty much dead with only veterans playing and the problems go far far deeper than the upgrade itself. Better performance won't fix anything since most people are running rigs with 2080Ti anyway where performance was never an issue. Shitty servers, non existent matchmaking, phasing, active gms and many many more are the real issues. People need to understand that the engine itself won't change anything.

Edited by Thial

On 1/8/2020 at 11:29 AM, BrandonBranderson said:

You guys are already on the Engine Upgrade.  PC is the only APB that isn't on some form of the engine upgrade and console development is being held back by that fact.  Their goal right now is to consolidate all the platforms so they are all running the same version of the engine so they only have to develop for one version.

On Topic:  What I'm looking forward to is the possibility of them being able to update the game without always breaking something completely unrelated to what they changed.  Also prettier visuals.

Don't forget that with unifying Consoles and PC, this allows for the single codebase to improve the performance (and graphics) of the already non-pretty console versions. It's easier to code for 3 different architectures when the base code is essentially the same.

On 1/8/2020 at 2:23 PM, rooq said:

It is public information that all packages from current APB has been ported over to the engine upgrade - meaning that the same content exists across both versions.

All of the SPCT group are testing these things until the point where (I assume) testing on a large scale is sensible, or when the engine is ready for release.

It just makes little sense to release public builds that might be testing one feature, while all lighting is missing or the frame rate is atrocious. The average player is simply not capable of abstracting out that issue and focus on the matter at hand. At least that is my interpretation of why testing is performed behind closed doors for now.

Waiting sucks, but that's all we can do.

IMO it is better to release something good and stable late than to release something terrible early.

In most of the SPCT's tests, if you're able to talk about it, has there been improvements in performance for mid or low level pc's? I know a lot of the tests that I saw that Matt posted were of machines running higher tier graphics and processors.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:06 AM, rooq said:

While it's by no means The Witcher 3, seeing the fog removed, and the color palette appears to have changed... I like.