Sign in to follow this  
PraiseTheSun

Ir3 change

I feel like weapons would be so much more balanced without ir3.

It gives weapons a decent range buff with almost no downside. As you tap fire with most weapons, which neglect the bloom debuff.

Personally I feel it gives certain weapons the extra range needed, which makes them a 'different' weapon type which they aren't supposed to be.

Ps. Not saying it should be removed, but it should be changed. 

Edited by PraiseTheSun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shotguns don't become assault rifles..Not at all

I do agree that on the N-tec for example it overpowers the weapon to the medium range semi-auto rifles though

But that's just the weapon's flaw not the modification's 

It does greatly improve the weapon. Makes it feel like a different weapon type. And the downside is more bloom.. which has almost no effect as you tap fire with pretty much every gun anyway. And up close it doesnt matter because you only full auto when you hug. 

13 minutes ago, Ellix said:

I do agree that on the N-tec for example it overpowers the weapon to the medium range semi-auto rifles though

But that's just the weapon's flaw not the modification's 

I beg to differ.

The N-TEC 5 by itself is a very good alternative to the STAR 556. It's a classic tradeoff of accuracy for damage. If you can keep the N-TEC 5 under control, you will be rewarded with a formidable gun.

It is meant to be a good gun in the right hands. That is not a design flaw. What is a design flaw, though, is how stretched its versatility becomes with the right mod setup. And if you look closely, Improved Rifling quite literally is the problem here.

Improved Rifling's downside is that it "increases maximum reticle bloom" — so the maximum possible crosshair size when firing in full-auto. When we slap IR3 on the N-TEC 5, the catch here is that you will almost never be using the gun in full-auto anyway when you're trying to tackle targets at range. It's not meant to be used in full-auto on the regular. This is also something that's lampshaded in N-TEC 5's flavor text: "[...] detractors often point out the requirement to fire in short bursts to maintain accuracy."

IR's downside does not exist for the N-TEC because, realistically speaking, you will never be using the N-TEC 5 in such a fashion that the downside will ever come into play anyway. It is meant to be tapfired at ranges — and when it is, it can almost reliably pierce into marksman rifle ranges, giving the Obeya CR762 a run for its money.

This mod — if not the existence of red mods in general — has become the elephant in the room when it comes to APB's balancing. A lot of the players have become too complacent about IR being a reliable range boost to their weaponry at a negligible downside.

Think about it for a second in accordance to the weapon types in APB. Reticle bloom is a non-issue for the shotguns, since they're naturally inaccurate. Sub-machine guns never bloom out to the point where they become noticeably inaccurate within their range. Both of those CQC options are allowed to cause wounds beyond their intended ranges when modded with IR. N-HVR isn't meant to be fired on the move, and at a stand-still the reticle manages to reset its bloom between shots. OBIR returns to initial accuracy between bursts.

None of these options will ever even be put in a scenario where the "increased maximum reticle bloom" downside starts working... and the weapon type it's "meant" to be used with (that being assault rifles) has its versatility increased to an absurd level because it lets you puncture wounds at range by doing what you'd be doing to land shots at range accurately in the first place.

Combine all of the above with the fact that Improved Rifling 3, the biggest possible range increase, is locked behind a lower limit of player rank, and role progression or a five digit price tag, It's almost guaranteed not to be used by new players; as a result, it practically exclusively benefits those who are already acquainted with the game mechanics.

Something has to be done about IR. Its downside is nowhere near enough to offset the benefits of increased effective range. It either needs a rework or outright removal from the game (which could probably be said about most other red mods).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PraiseTheSun said:

I feel like weapons would be so much more balanced without ir3.

It gives weapons a decent range buff with almost no downside. As you tap fire with most weapons, which neglect the bloom debuff.

Personally I feel it gives certain weapons the extra range needed, which makes them a 'different' weapon type which they aren't supposed to be.

Ps. Not saying it should be removed, but it should be changed. 

Weve already tried this and the community hated it.

Sign in to follow this