postalgril

why doesn't apb have any competitors?

its a one of a kind game that is truly unique i've always wondered why no one has made a game with similar style, premise, gameplay etc as a direct competitor.  apb has its problems but its the most fun, addictive game ive ever played. im not a big gamer so i dont really play online games but man i really, really, really miss apb when its down.

how come no ones ever capitalized on that and made a similar game?

• Like 3

because this shitty (but unique haha xDDDDD) game cost 100 million dollars to develop and bankrupted the company that developed it, who in their right mind would want to copy that?

• Like 1

It's risky to spend a bunch of money developing a game based on the formula of one of the biggest flops in the industry, so most companies try to play it safe and keep making the same heavy, clunky, lens flared, camera shaky first person shooters over and over.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Solamente said:

because this shitty (but unique haha xDDDDD) game cost 100 million dollars to develop and bankrupted the company that developed it, who in their right mind would want to copy that?

😮 100 mill wtf

ouch

well that answered my question xD 

i was always curious why nobody copied to make something similar. all MMO's have a thousand carbon copies of each other and many do really well. infact most MMO's are pretty much the same. 

but yeah, 100 mill to create something unique sure does answer why haha

I think the failure of APB is all the explanation you need.

Contrary to what WE believe, its not the kind of game the vast majority of gamers want to play.

Makes sense that no one has tried to make something like it.

7 minutes ago, BrandonBranderson said:

It's risky to spend a bunch of money developing a game based on the formula of one of the biggest flops in the industry, so most companies try to play it safe and keep making the same heavy, clunky, lens flared, camera shaky first person shooters over and over.

well its not really that much of a flop since its still here after what 10 years almost now. many'a'big MMOs have disappeared after being around for much less time.

was mismanaged under g1 tho for sure, took too long to do something about cheaters. and ive never seen apb advertised anywhere, ever. i think g1 thinks new players just appear out of thin air, like everyone has psychic powers and know what games exist or something

6 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

I think the failure of APB is all the explanation you need.

Contrary to what WE believe, its not the kind of game the vast majority of gamers want to play.

Makes sense that no one has tried to make something like it.

i dont think the game failed, it wouldnt still be here if it had. but i do think it was mismanaged for a long time which sure deterred people. 90% of my friends had never even heard of it

i think the premise, style and gameplay are all solid i cant see why any gamer wouldnt like it. but can certainly see why they wouldnt play under past management. im kinda new so only caught the tail end of ye olde g1 but even i noticed how bad things got under them. 

i regert getting addicted 😂

Edited by postalgril
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, postalgril said:

well its not really that much of a flop since its still here after what 10 years almost now. many'a'big MMOs have disappeared after being around for much less time.

was mismanaged under g1 tho for sure, took too long to do something about cheaters. and ive never seen apb advertised anywhere, ever. i think g1 thinks new players just appear out of thin air, like everyone has psychic powers and know what games exist or something

its a flop because the return was not equal to the investment, doesn't matter how long a game lasts if its hemorrhaging money every step of the way

don't give this pleb any thought who started this topic. all she does is complain about good players that hand her the pipe. 

Just now, RageKitty said:

don't give this pleb any thought who started this topic. all she does is complain about good players that hand her the pipe. 

liar, you dont know me. i play better normal players than me all the time and always have fun

um, Saints Row 3 and 4 are similar to APB as for Customization and open world type gameplay and SR is a million times better and the customization is better. The Division is another game, but Defiance D13 is very similar to APB but with PVP. Apb only saving grace is the customization, period. Without it, the game would have been shut down way back in 2011.

1 minute ago, LAPDAlonso said:

um, Saints Row 3 and 4 are similar to APB as for Customization and open world type gameplay and SR is a million times better and the customization is better. The Division is another game, but Defiance D13 is very similar to APB but with PVP. Apb only saving grace is the customization, period. Without it, the game would have been shut down way back in 2011.

the saints row games have gta 5 levels of customization at best and they're also not MMOs

the division games are almost entirely pve content and customization is pretty subpar

never played defiance so i have no comment

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LAPDAlonso said:

um, Saints Row 3 and 4 are similar to APB as for Customization and open world type gameplay and SR is a million times better and the customization is better. The Division is another game, but Defiance D13 is very similar to APB but with PVP

MJDAtx4.gif

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LAPDAlonso said:

none of those games are in anyway similar gameplay wise.

tho i did enjoy saints row , i agree about the customization part

APB is basically Second Life with some shooting here and there. All rest, more or less, is the same.

1 hour ago, Solamente said:

I'm not sure THIS game cost 100 million, I am pretty sure RTW was trying to develop a lot of different systems along with APB.  Their lack of foresight on how to properly run APB and monetize it is what did them in.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, illgot said:

I'm not sure THIS game cost 100 million, I am pretty sure RTW was trying to develop a lot of different systems along with APB.  Their lack of foresight on how to properly run APB and monetize it is what did them in.

yes the 100 million was for all of rtw's projects at the time (i think there were 3) but the fact that a huge amount of money went in to apb and very little came out remains, and that's the only fact that anyone considering "competing" with apb will consider

just to be clear im glad there isnt a competitor, i think apb is amazing and so glad i found it. i just found it odd that nobody did is all 🙂 

Well i know some of them are not like APB, i was just referring to other parts like Customization and stuff.  But a game like APB, the only other game that is the closest is Crimecraft without vehicles, its just like it. Only thing Crimecraft is a better game overall in terms of content and gameplay, but the customization is not. 

1 hour ago, postalgril said:

It was a flop initially.  It was originally released by Realtime Worlds, who went bankrupt because of this game, and shut down only 2 months after release.  It was a full priced retail game.  It's only surviving now in its 2nd incarnation as a free game.

Edited by BrandonBranderson

38 minutes ago, LAPDAlonso said:

Well i know some of them are not like APB, i was just referring to other parts like Customization and stuff.  But a game like APB, the only other game that is the closest is Crimecraft without vehicles, its just like it. Only thing Crimecraft is a better game overall in terms of content and gameplay, but the customization is not. 

never heard of crimecraft, i'll check it out 🙂

Apb failed cuz of the bad management of funds and fkd up launching strategies, and not because the game itself was bad or people didn't liked the gameplay.

There's is a reddit post which explains it further.

As for competitor, the closest thing is GTA v and if you don't mind fps shooters, you would love planetside 2. That's what im playing right now.

There's also this new game coming out called star citizen which my friend told me is going to be like SciFi version of Apb. Replace human players with battle ships and districts to galaxies.

Edited by foscor77

4 minutes ago, darok70 said:

and not because the game itself was bad or people didn't liked the gameplay.

i mean apb:r has never had more than like 10k players, it's just not a popular game