Sign in to follow this  
Snubnose

Engine Update Trees

I noticed on console streams that the leafs looked pretty "chunky". but I though it was due to lower graphic settings...

now there's this picture, and I'm concerned about the leafs well-being... why are they all swollen?

Live_LOD01.png.8089723f4e43cdebb5adbface
LOD01.png.f5cbab011a53517a404c96c2ec979d

seriously though, these trees look kinda bad... I like the new darker / less saturated color, but wtf happened to the fluffiness???

it reminds me a lot of this minecraft option where leaf textures aren't see through to save some performance:

leafs.png

I think that's a LOD2 

Meaning this will happen while the player is really far from the tree

Pretty sure that in the final version the trees will be fine up close

These look a bit wonky indeed but thats just one of the things that you guys can point out and give feedback on when it comes to Public testing in the future. 

Tree model is the same, it just looks super weird cause of the lighting and LODs being super low in Live.

1 hour ago, TheMessiah said:

both screenshots looks like from 20 years old game

Well I mean. APB is a 13 year old game. So. Getting there.

The sky looks great

and I like those trees

• Like 1

The things that stick out the most in the engine upgrade version is the coloration, clouds, and vegetation. I personally like the trees, but ig it's just because I hate the current look of the game 🙃

Really good foliage is actually a real sizable feat to pull off, and personally, generally i don't really get the big kerfuffle about orgasmic foliage; especially in a game like APB where it's so sparse. I can see it being important in a game like EFT where you're walking in bushes and through trees all the time (and they just reworked their grass render system so grass renders ~200m out which is insane, but again, in a game like EFT its something they need for a good experience)

I really appreciate all of the tedious work the team has been putting in to make a genuinely better version of the game, and matt for being so communicative about what's going on in the office. I'm not so quick to forget about the contrast between Tiggs leaving us high and dry with literally nothing for over a full year, to LO's constant transparency and involvement. Really obscure, pesky weird bugs like the ones they've been chasing down are such a big portion of why i don't see myself doing game dev work.. it would peeve me so much to run in circles troubleshooting each issue for days.

Hopefully with all of these improvements to optimization, lighting/shadows, LOD and AA, Matt may feel a little bit more comfortable feeding us an OTW build to splooge over, stress out with the hungry playerbase, and then inevitably complain about.. something.

On 11/9/2019 at 4:26 PM, Snubnose said:

I noticed on console streams that the leafs looked pretty "chunky"

every time i see this i think of peoples family trees and look for the monkeys swinging on the branches

do the consoles still get performance issues? I do not know if that bug was updated or not.

if they still have that bug it might mess it up too

Edited by Fortune Runner

1 hour ago, Fortune Runner said:

every time i see this i think of peoples family trees and look for the monkeys swinging on the branches

That's pretty racist. 

worries about tress

ignores all the extra detail in the buildings and increased view distance. 😂

Guest Zilsux

That either looks like LOD taking place, or the Rendering mode for the leaves not being set to cutout. Either way not a problem I believe.

They look fine to me they are just nice bushy bois, and I mean, how translucent are trees irl? No seriously I don't go outside

17 minutes ago, Acornie said:

They look fine to me they are just nice bushy bois, and I mean, how translucent are trees irl? No seriously I don't go outside

More diffusion than transparent.

Sign in to follow this