Ashn

Character Gender Change

Hello,

I have always wondered why character gender change isn't a thing in APB would it be possible to do this or would it not work.

Regards, Ash

• Like 3

I think its currently just too much work since there are a large number of items that are gender specific. Some don't even have a correlating item for the opposite gender.

So they might have to do it manually, and that's after working out a system for gender unique items.

Just a guess.

Unfortunately, it's not possible, at least not for now. You can read about it here.

Also, a quote from a Developer addressing the same question in the past: "We've thought about this pretty extensively and it's just too much of a headache for it to be worth the potential returns I'm afraid. There's a lot of work that would need to be done on the database side just for the stats to match up since a surprising amount of stuff is tied to your characters gender.

We'd need to find a way of retroactively unlocking all the things your male version of the character unlocked (since female and male clothing unlocks are not tied together). You'd lose all your clothing, all your preset clothing, all your customization and tattoo's. Finding fixes or workarounds for these issues is just too big an ask for the potential return on this at the moment. If there's a much larger demand for it then we may take another look at it but right now it's just too much of a headache and doesn't fit into the development roadmap." 

Edited by Bambola
  • Like 1

Whatever your character is born as is the gender they are forever. You can't change your gender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Whatever your character is born as is the gender they are forever. You can't change your gender.

excuse me, i'm gender fluid

• Thanks 1

This should not be a thing that they should ever bother to implement; some games dont even allow you to change your character appearance at all after creation. You people are never happy

Can not be done currently, because it would require creating a tool that throws your gender-specific stuff to bin and gives you new gender-specific thing that you'll be needing in the future (clothing).

4 hours ago, Ashn said:

Hello,

I have always wondered why character gender change isn't a thing in APB would it be possible to do this or would it not work.

Regards, Ash

4 hours ago, Bambola said:

Unfortunately, it's not possible, at least not for now. You can read about it here.

Also, a quote from a Developer addressing the same question in the past: "We've thought about this pretty extensively and it's just too much of a headache for it to be worth the potential returns I'm afraid. There's a lot of work that would need to be done on the database side just for the stats to match up since a surprising amount of stuff is tied to your characters gender.

We'd need to find a way of retroactively unlocking all the things your male version of the character unlocked (since female and male clothing unlocks are not tied together). You'd lose all your clothing, all your preset clothing, all your customization and tattoo's. Finding fixes or workarounds for these issues is just too big an ask for the potential return on this at the moment. If there's a much larger demand for it then we may take another look at it but right now it's just too much of a headache and doesn't fit into the development roadmap." 

This is pretty much the detailed answer on why it is not available yet.

To make a gender change possible for APB you would need programming algorithms updated for the new engine (since its almost completed) that would identify what unlocks for your male character were done and unlock the female version.

To do this more effectively would mean cleaning up the spaghetti coding for clothing and unlocks to that the algorithm can do it easily - build the clothing database to be friendly for it in the new engine.

I say the new engine because the one we currently have is a spaghetti mess and would probably break the game if attempted to do so , and also why do twice the work when only one is truly necessary.

This would also require the user agreement , and a notification that " all customs would be lost and only the customized clothes themselves would exist do you wish to continue?" - no biggie there.

Issue of gender change or faction change is that most of clothing is specific to certain sex or faction.

Edited by Mitne

How about making all clothing available to both genders? Then gender change would just be a quick swap, yeah?

I've always wondered why they decided to make things M/F only. (*cough* wtf Cop Shirt *cough*)

2 minutes ago, KnifuWaifu said:

How about making all clothing available to both genders? Then gender change would just be a quick swap, yeah?

I've always wondered why they decided to make things M/F only. (*cough* wtf Cop Shirt *cough*)

because that's not how programming works.

each item has its own identification number sort of thing or it could not exist.

that's why my previous post explained it the way it did

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

each item has its own identification number sort of thing or it could not exist.

Oh ok. But let's say Cop Shirt (M) is #CS01M and they did make both MF versions, could unlocking that not unlock #CS01F in the background? 

Or would that like double the amount of data a character takes up?

But also if they did MF everything they could just make the algorithm just swap the #M with #F, no? 

1 hour ago, KnifuWaifu said:

Oh ok. But let's say Cop Shirt (M) is #CS01M and they did make both MF versions, could unlocking that not unlock #CS01F in the background? 

Or would that like double the amount of data a character takes up?

But also if they did MF everything they could just make the algorithm just swap the #M with #F, no? 

the current coding in our current engine is a mess and is not written in such a clear way by what g1 claimed in the past and also MattScott said it did not look easily done right now.

transferring coding to a new engine has to be cleaned up then transferred over.

if we did this now it would absolutely delay the engine by making it have to be transferred all over again.

however later , after the new engine , rewriting the clothing codes can be done without delaying the engine.

then it could be done neatly  to where it would not be difficult to switch characters and clothing.

RTW and G1 just did not think of all of this back then.

the coding is just not written to do this easily right now and has to be done manually because of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

Well they could have implemented a gender slider like Saints Row 2.  That wasn't horrifying at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twpe_yiCi_8

Edited by Lammashta

3 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

Uhhh, isn't the gender items lock just a simple "if" function ? Or where did you get that info?

gender equality for apb, stand up and fight for it

• Like 1

Can't identify yourself as the other genders in APB, sorry.

Jokes aside it's way too much work with all the different clothing items.

12 hours ago, -Dan- said:

Uhhh, isn't the gender items lock just a simple "if" function ? Or where did you get that info?

it was mentioned by G1 and Little Orbit how each item would have to be done manually because it it not set up that way.

Over the years G1 and Little Orbit made the same comments about this which is where that comes from.

If it was made that way , a simple algorithm could of been easily made but RTW and G1 didn't clean it up for that to happen.

hopefully Little Orbit does at some point in the future , since a change can be added to armas then.